• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Um...are Sweet Potatoes/Yams Supposed to Leak "Milk" When Cut?

In summary, Paulette's yams had a milky white substance coming out when she cut them, and this seems to happen more often as the potatoes get older.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
My puppies love sweet potatoes/yams.

So once in a while, as a treat, I slice them thin, drizzle them lightly with olive oil and bake them until they are slightly crisp. They gobble them up.

I bought two yams at the market this weekend, and cut the first one up with no drama. When I sliced into the second one- "milk" was oozing out of the slices, in little droplets. So I cut another slice, same thing.

Needless to say it freaked me out, and I figured it was not fresh, so I tossed it.

Is it normal for a sweet potato to leak a milky white substance when cut into? I don't believe I've ever seen that- HELP!!!:confused:

I use sp/yam's alot and have never seen that!

pamperedpnina said:
I use sp/yam's alot and have never seen that!

It was the strangest thing- and it really stood out against the orange of the potato! I'm like WTH!! (what the heck?!)

It's times like this that I wish Alton Brown was my Uncle! :D

yup.... I've had it happen...

etteluap70PC said:
yup.... I've had it happen...

It's gross, sort of. When I went back to the kitchen after starting this thread the white milky stuff had turned brown and very sticky. Eeewww!~:yuck:

I think it means they are super sweet. It's like the sugar leeching out.

Did you google it?

Paulette's right!

That happens to me every so often, and it's when they are especially sweet & fresh sweet potatoes. The older they get, the more they dry out. But this is sweet potato season, so they should be pretty fresh now, not coming from a couple months of cold storage.

We eat sweet potatoes at least twice a week in some form...so I deal with them alot. We had baked Sweet potato wedges for lunch today. Yummy! I wedge them with the apple wedger, and then shake a little cinnamon/sugar on them.

Not to start anything, but asking someone if they have googled their milky yams just seems a tad personal to me. Nerd moment alert: While canned sweet potatoes are often labeled "Yams," they aren't. Sweet potatoes and yams are very different. Yams are mostly available in Central America, the West Indies, Asia, and Africa. They are not grown and not widely available in the United States. What we have widely available in grocery stores in the US are sweet potatoes.

raebates said:
Not to start anything, but asking someone if they have googled their milky yams just seems a tad personal to me.

Ok... Now I'm blushing...

Sorry. i just couldn't help myself. I've been sitting here snickering since I began reading the thread. I think I spend too much time around too many teenage boys.

Great, so I just trashed a super sweet- sweet potato. I feel so wasteful. Well, had I not just tossed chicken bones, and onion skins, etc in the trash on top of it, I'd go back and fish them out and finish cutting them and baking them for the puppies. I'm glad I asked- I'll never toss another leaky sweet potato away again! :)

BTW- Paulette, I rarely google anything food related- I pretty much figure someone here will have the answer, and if they don't, then and only then will I google it! :)

I have several food reference books that I've gotten through the years. I love Food Lover's Companion. It's basically a culinary dictionary.

raebates said:
I have several food reference books that I've gotten through the years. I love Food Lover's Companion. It's basically a culinary dictionary.

Maybe Santa will drop one under my tree this Christmas! A culinary book for me and a job for DH! :)

Thanks for the help guys, I knew you'd have the answer! :)

Welcome back Kacey.

raebates said:
Not to start anything, but asking someone if they have googled their milky yams just seems a tad personal to me.

Nerd moment alert: While canned sweet potatoes are often labeled "Yams," they aren't. Sweet potatoes and yams are very different. Yams are mostly available in Central America, the West Indies, Asia, and Africa. They are not grown and not widely available in the United States. What we have widely available in grocery stores in the US are sweet potatoes.

Rae, I know they aren't the same thing- they sell both types at our local grocery stores...but just to be safe in case others didn't know that, I wanted to use both names for the little tuber just to make things nice and easy! :)

sweet potatoes & yams *(I don't think God really intended for us to eat those did he??) :)

Teresa Lynn said:
sweet potatoes & yams *(I don't think God really intended for us to eat those did he??) :)

They are so good...especially with margarine and our Sweet Caramel Sprinkle and/or Cinnamon Sprinkle on them!

I hated Sweet Potatoes because people always served them with sugar and marshmellow junk.Then this summer I had them mashed with regular potatoes, garlic and cheese. Now I love them because I had them like regular potatoes!

I'm not a sweet potato fan, but I bake them all the time for The Furry Guy. He loves them.

1. What causes sweet potatoes/yams to leak milk when cut?

The white liquid that is released when sweet potatoes/yams are cut is called latex. It is a natural sap that is found in many plants and is completely harmless and safe to consume.

2. Is it safe to eat sweet potatoes/yams that leak milk?

Yes, it is safe to eat sweet potatoes/yams that leak milk. The latex is not harmful and does not affect the taste or quality of the sweet potato/yam.

3. Can the leaking milk be prevented?

No, the leaking milk is a natural occurrence in sweet potatoes/yams and cannot be prevented. However, you can minimize the amount of latex by soaking the sweet potato/yam in water for a few minutes before cutting it.

4. Does the leaking milk affect the cooking process?

No, the leaking milk does not affect the cooking process. It is purely a cosmetic issue and will not impact the taste or texture of the sweet potato/yam.

5. How should I store sweet potatoes/yams that have leaked milk?

You can store sweet potatoes/yams that have leaked milk in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just make sure to wrap them in a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Kitchen Diva
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • DebPC