• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! Struggling with Using a Mandoline for Recipes

In summary, the consultant struggles with the mandoline for cheese and recommends either the rotary grater or the coarse microplane grater. The best thing she's found for tomatoes is the green tomato knife.
sprinklesteen
Hi all!

I'm a brand new consultant, just getting my feet wet. I haven't even held my first show yet - that's next week! :)

I've been trying to practice recipes, using products, etc. and....(is this okay to say here?) I WANT TO THROW THAT MANDOLINE OUT THE WINDOW!!!!!!!

UGH - what am I doing wrong?? I tried using it to grate the cheese for the garden pizza recipe, and I just wound up with a big mess and headache. My hubby tried it, too, and couldn't get it working properly. I tried pre-freezing the cheese, as suggested, but that didn't help.

I tried searching for a demo video but couldn't find any. I did find one independent review video on YouTube, but even she looked like she was having difficulties. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've already decided to not use it at my shows for now, but I know it's a big-ticket item, and would like to include it going forward.

Anyone have any advice??? Please!!!

Thanks!

It took me a long time to get the hang of the mandoline for cheese. I really like it for veggies though. Try it for the veggies for the pizza. For the cheese, I'd either use the rotary grater or coarse microplane if you have either. If not... either keep practicing or go w/ the preshredded. If it helps to know I've only been using it for cheese for the past 6 months and I've had it for 3 years :) What I do is take the cheese straight out of the fridge, and I rotate the chunk whenever it starts to tear up... (I also don't use the guard, but that's not EVER something you want to demo.!!)

The mandoline is the worst for cheese! When I first got my kit, I struggled too. Finally I just stopped using the protective slider and just grated the cheese that way. Then I bought the rotary grater and it was just as bad, if not worse!When I got some extra cash, I purchased the coarse microplane grater. So, my suggestion is to NOT use the guard on the mandoline and as soon as you can, purchase the coarse microplane grater.

I don't use the guard for cheese - I use it just like a block grater.

Thanks for the suggestions. It REALLY helps to know that it's not just me. I was just starting to get into that panic mode! LOL

I'm going to try it for the veggies tonight. I struggled with the cheese for so long that I just couldn't look at it anymore at the time! :grumpy:

sprinklesteen said:
Thanks for the suggestions. It REALLY helps to know that it's not just me. I was just starting to get into that panic mode! LOL

I'm going to try it for the veggies tonight. I struggled with the cheese for so long that I just couldn't look at it anymore at the time! :grumpy:

Be patient with it! If you can't get it to work, please have your recruiter or director help you out!

As others said, don't use the food holder for cheese. Just grate it the way you would with a normal cheese grater. I usually have great results slicing veggies with it, but you have to make sure that everything is on the tracks correctly.

I can't for the life of me slice tomatoes with it. They just smush.
My director suggested that I return it and ask for another one.

The best thing I have found for tomatoes is the green tomato knife. I have not had great luck w either the mandoline or simple slicer for tomatoes.

The trick with tomatoes is having very firm ones that are refrigerated. Don't apply much pressure when slicing in the UM or the SS. I rarely have problems

KBender295 said:
The best thing I have found for tomatoes is the green tomato knife. I have not had great luck w either the mandoline or simple slicer for tomatoes.

The Cheese Knife is excellent for tomatoes :D

1. How do I adjust the thickness on my mandoline?

To adjust the thickness on your mandoline, look for a knob or lever on the side or top of the device. Turn the knob or move the lever to adjust the blade to the desired thickness. Some mandolines may also have different blade attachments for different thicknesses.

2. How do I safely use a mandoline?

To safely use a mandoline, always wear a cut-resistant glove on the hand that will be holding the food. Keep your fingers away from the blade and use the safety guard provided. Use a steady, even pressure when sliding the food over the blade and always use a cutting board underneath the mandoline to protect your countertop.

3. How do I clean my mandoline?

Cleaning a mandoline can be tricky because of the sharp blade. Start by removing any food particles with a brush or toothpick. Then, carefully remove the blade and wash it separately with warm soapy water. Dry the blade completely before reassembling the mandoline. You can also use a dishwasher-safe mandoline for easier cleaning.

4. Can I use a mandoline for all types of vegetables?

Mandolines are great for slicing and julienning a variety of vegetables, but some softer or irregularly shaped vegetables may not be suitable for the device. It's best to stick to firmer vegetables like carrots, zucchini, and cucumbers for best results.

5. How do I prevent my food from slipping on the mandoline?

To prevent your food from slipping on the mandoline, make sure to use a cutting board underneath and apply even pressure when sliding the food over the blade. You can also try placing a damp paper towel or cloth underneath the cutting board to create a non-slip surface for the mandoline.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • emiscookin
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • luvmypomeranian
  • Products and Tips
Replies