• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrated with My New Veggie Slicer: Suggestions Needed!

In summary, the UM is hard to use and the consultant struggled with it. They suggest watching the product demo on CC to get a better understanding of how to use it. The consultant also recommends using the right blade for the task at hand.
ChefAudrey
I just got my kit and tried to use my UM to slice cucumbers and onions to soak in vinager and eat on saturday. Anyways, that sucker is hard to use! I previously had a cheapy one from the store and it was so simple, after 2 cucumbers and a whole purple onion i have a stabbed index finger and am very frustrated...any suggestions? :(

don't be hesitant, you've got to go at it with gusto.
how did you stab your finger?

being an idiot! I was trying to figure out the mechanism, thinking it would help me, had the straight blade in my hands flicking the little levers on either side, guess i had one pulled back and one released and stabbed my darn finger...i really can cook very well, dunno why this is so hard for me

Don't feel bad I've been a consultant for 2 years and I just took mine out of the box TONIGHT! I am using it at a show tomorrow and want to do a trial run! I hope it gets easier!

make sure you have the food slider on the guides properly. there is an excellent product demo video for the ultimate mandolin on CC. check it out.
don't feel badly. I did a product knowledge segment on the UM at a recent cluster meeting. you wouldn't believe how many of the consultants (new & seasoned) weren't sure how to use it properly.

I just tried it with a tomato and some frozen mozzarella. I can see how getting "used" to it is a definite plus! I think I would like to use it if I can get the hang of it!

I 2nd watching the demo on Consultant's Corner.

vwpamperedchef said:
I just tried it with a tomato and some frozen mozzarella. I can see how getting "used" to it is a definite plus! I think I would like to use it if I can get the hang of it!

FIRM plum tomatoes work well. If you tomatoes are soft, you'll end up with tomato sauce / puree / juice. Not good. Been there, done that!
Oh -- make sure you are using the correct blade, too.

Definitely watch the training for the UM. I just used it tonight for a lemon. Worked like a charm. Love it! (some of the time:))

Has anyone used the UM to shred lettuce? If so, how did that work for you? Host called me today asking if I was going to shred the lettuce and cheese. I really hate pulling that UM out but I will.

I dont use the mandoline, I have had a few major problems at shows with it.

I 3rd watching the demo on Consultants Corner. I didn't like the UM until I watched that and found out how to really use it. Now I love it.

lissahope26 said:
Has anyone used the UM to shred lettuce? If so, how did that work for you? Host called me today asking if I was going to shred the lettuce and cheese. I really hate pulling that UM out but I will.

I would think it would make REALLY thin shreds for lettuce. I would just use your forged cutlery knife to do the lettuce. (Or our nylon knife, if you have it!)

I literally had a PC show to get the USG (older Madoline) LOVED it - joined PC and am not the biggest fan of USG or Madoline anymore - its my forged cutlery that I use - I personally would rather buy the cutlery knives that I would use more often (every day!) then the madoline -

But watch that video - it helps a ton!

I had alot of operator errors when I got the UM, but, after using it at home, I am so confident in using it in my shows, it's wonderful. Actually had my host's husband looking at it in the catalog when they were making out the host wish list. Well at the show, he was in the other room during her party. Well, we called him out to grate a tater and he was sold!!! I agree with using the right blade. V blade for limes, tomaters and softer items. Slicing blade for cukes, taters, onions and stuff. At my shows, I tell everyone about having the slider on the guides correctly so they see what I mean.

I also love the UM, but I agree about the kinves working well. I love the UM for thin slices of anything, the crinkle cut blade when you need it, and anytime I have to slice a lot of something. It is so awesome for slicing lemons and other citrus, and big batches of zucchini. FOr only a little bit of something, I'll use my knives.

My neighbour used it to slice tomatoes and onions for a block party, and LOVED it for how fast it made doing a big job. I'd try selling it for those instances...

Oh yes, and remember to not push *too* hard down, let the blade do the work.

How do you handle the cheese? I have been practicing my 3-cheese Garden Pizza Recipe for my first show. As I'm grating the cheese (cheddar, & mozzarella), when you get down to that last small chunk- it just plunks out from under the slide and you can't shred the last bit unless you use your fingers- VERY carefully. But to me, that just would seem to look bad at a show.

How to you explain or talk about that during a show? I know that with a regular box-grater (which I used up until now), you get that last little bit you can't grate....but it's a smaller chunk than with the UM.

I haven't watched the video- but am going to do that now.

You don't need to use the food holder with the grating blade. Just like with an old-fashioned box grater.

I prefer the V-shape blade. It cuts into two places at once instead of just one place. I use mine all the time and love love love it. Don't be shy and soft using it either. Really put some slide into it.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE.... I used to have a love/hate relationship with the UM< but now I love it. My problem was I didn't have it put together right, now that I know how to work it, I love it and it works great. It took several months to get to that point though. Good luck!!

What are some common issues people face when using the veggie slicer?

Some common issues people face when using the veggie slicer include difficulty slicing certain vegetables, blade getting stuck, and uneven slicing.

How can I ensure my vegetables are sliced evenly?

To ensure even slicing, make sure to use firm vegetables and apply consistent pressure while slicing. You may also want to try sharpening the blade or adjusting the blade thickness settings.

Can I use the veggie slicer for other types of food?

Yes, the veggie slicer can be used to slice a variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as cheese and other soft foods.

What can I do if the blade gets stuck while slicing?

If the blade gets stuck, try removing the vegetable and clearing any debris from the blade. You may also want to make sure the blade is properly secured in the slicer and adjust the blade thickness settings.

Are there any tips for cleaning and maintaining the veggie slicer?

To clean the veggie slicer, disassemble it and wash the parts by hand with warm, soapy water. Make sure to dry all parts thoroughly before reassembling. For maintenance, regularly check and tighten any loose screws and blades, and store the slicer in a dry place to prevent rusting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• afokkema4u
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies