• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bed, Bath & Beyond Selling OXO Mandoline Slicer for $69.99

In summary, the new Mandolin is a great tool that is safer and easier to use than the Vario Slicer. It has a 10lb bag of potatoes for 3.99 at Costco, folds up for easy storage, and costs only $169.00.
SusanBP0129
Just wanted to share:
I just received a Bed, Bath & Beyond flyer and they are selling an OXO Mandoline Slicer for $69.99 :eek:
It only has THREE blades and it doesn't seem to have a box for the blades to store in!
This could be useful information to share when guests complain about the price of our Ultimate Mandoline!!!:)

AND....
williams-sonoma
Mandoline
Suggested Price: $199.95
Our Price: $169.00

Deluxe Pusher Attachment
$29.00

I think that the Deluxe Pusher Attachment is the food holder. Ours is included!:p

WOW!!! Excellent!! Can't wait to share this info at my next show!!

letscook04 said:
check out williams-sonoma website. I think that it is www.williams-sonoma.com:D

Just found these tips on another board:

This is from a consultant somewhere named Erin:

THE NEW MANDOLIN~I LOVE IT!

I admit it, I loved the Vario Slicer, but back on October 17th 1996, I
cut my middle finger so Severely (note the word Sever is in there...) I
haven't been the same. Neither has my middle finger since there was nerve
damage....

When the USG came out, I went at it with the best intentions. However, I
found myself constantly losing feet on the thing, placing it over a bowl
never worked for me, and overall, it was one of those things that when I
occasionally demo'd it at a show, everyone was turning away in horror
because my confidence was akin to trying to hand feed a filet mignon to a
grizzly bear, I just couldn't sell the sizzle, it was always a fizzle.

So when the new Mandolin came out, I was more than reticent to attempt to
bond with this new slicer of death. How surprised am I that I love it!

First of all, it is properly named! Gives the tool much more credibility.
I went on the Williams-Sonoma website, and the Mandolin that most closely
matches ours, except it is in Stainless, prices out at 99.95 and then
they charge another 30 bucks for the guard (long pusher attachment) like that
is a luxury rather than an essential.

Here is how I fell in love with this tool. Which by the way, I have
affectionately named Mandy Mandolin, we're buddies now, I needed to make
friends..........

I got myself a 10lb bag of red potatoes from Costco for 3.99. Off I went.

First up, if anyone thinks of using this item with sliding mechanism
(still don't know the term~doo hicky didn't seem professional...) they are
crazy!

Pop in a blade, slide the guard to the top of the slicer, and open up the
stand. (Thank you Pampered Chef for a Free Standing Slicer!)

You will notice that the guard rests above the blade, also, the blades
are all flush until you push the guard past the blade. What a great safety
feature. Even I am safe.

Now, lets fire up this puppy. The trick I think is working with the
guard, and all the pressure should come from your thumb that should rest on the
curve. The base of your middle finger and the top part of your palm will
be enough to apply pressure as you move the guard back and forth. Remember,
push from your thumb. That is how it works best with minimal work on your
part.

I had everyone in my family bang out a potato with whatever blade they
wanted to use. Everyone loved it. I popped in half of a red onion,
perfection. I put in half of a kosher pickle, kapow!

For shows, I plan on bringing a handful of red potatoes and encouraging
the guests to try it themselves. I think it's grate! (Get it? WACCA WACCA)

Come on you guys, storage, look how flat that thing folds up! Look how
the case can slide onto the rails for groovy storage! Now that is great
design!

So try it out - you will fall in love! You have a few weeks to perfect
your skills and make a new friend.

Warm Regards,

erin

I found what she said to be true. When we practiced with it at our recipe
-o-rama using a zuchinni, less pressure is helpful. The thumb pressure
seems the best description of how to.

I had a easier time when i took the food holder apart and then added the
food and then placed the pushing part back in.

Eileen Paul, Director and Trainer

I am a HUGE fan of the new MandolinAbout 13 years ago I ended up in the hospital after slicing the tip of my pinky in half on a cheap, second hand slicer dicer. (11 stitches.) Earlier this summer, at a show, I sliced a huge chunk out of my thumb when pulling the blade out of the USG.

Needless to say, it wasn't my favorite tool.

Enter the Ultimate Mandolin. I use it at EVERY show now and just love it love it love it. Last night, making foccaccia for 20 people, I cut up tomato after tomato. And these were really ripe and juicy ones.

Plus, with the last tomato, I sliced it up with the santuko knife. I am in heaven. Seriously.

Sell those mandolins and knives, LOL!

Rachel

I hate the mandoline and I will refuse to sell itOkay, I have tried and tried to make peace with this piece of equipment, but I can't. It gets clogged too easily, and it is impractical to use a knife to cut things into smaller pieces before you put it into your hopper. I could cut things up with my knife a lot faster than using this noisy piece of large bulky equipment that gets clogged every third round. You then have to take it apart, rinse like the video on the website says, and then put it all back together.

I'm not going to give up on this one....this product is ultimate junk, the ultimate slice and grate was one of my favorite products and I sold a lot of them. This product is not up to par....and I think that the fact that it is made so poorly at such a high price point is going to disapoint our customers.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose! I absolutely LOVE it. :D

jmabner said:
Okay, I have tried and tried to make peace with this piece of equipment, but I can't. It gets clogged too easily, and it is impractical to use a knife to cut things into smaller pieces before you put it into your hopper. I could cut things up with my knife a lot faster than using this noisy piece of large bulky equipment that gets clogged every third round. You then have to take it apart, rinse like the video on the website says, and then put it all back together.

I'm not going to give up on this one....this product is ultimate junk, the ultimate slice and grate was one of my favorite products and I sold a lot of them. This product is not up to par....and I think that the fact that it is made so poorly at such a high price point is going to disapoint our customers.

John,
Keep practicing with it - watch the video...you'll get the hang of it and once you do you'll love it (and sell it thus making more$$)!!

jmabner said:
Okay, I have tried and tried to make peace with this piece of equipment, but I can't. It gets clogged too easily, and it is impractical to use a knife to cut things into smaller pieces before you put it into your hopper. I could cut things up with my knife a lot faster than using this noisy piece of large bulky equipment that gets clogged every third round. You then have to take it apart, rinse like the video on the website says, and then put it all back together.

John I totally agree! I have tried and tried and cannot get it to work properly. My last showI just took my USG and demoed it and told them we had a safer model come out.

I am still on the fence on this one. I could not get it to work right when I tried by myself here one day. I made tomato soup! not slices. But at our cluster meeting everything worked great. I think I will copy 'it's me susan' and buy a bag of potatoes and really try. I will report back in a few days - if I remember. :confused:

My sister was the first person to buy this for me and we tried hers out before I even got mine out of the box. Being new I never had a chance to use the USG so I can't compare. I know this though, it takes practice. We tried with both a potatoes and onion and just couldn't get it. She was on the verge of sending it back. Then a few hours later after I went home she called me and said she just kept working with it and presto she got it and it works like a charm. My only misgiving is that many people won't put in the time required to learn how to use it properly.

I used mine at a show for the first time last night. It was a couples show and the ladies were to use the mandolin. (The fellas made their own recipe) Anyway, they could not get the mandolin to work - if the guests can't use it with ease trying it out - they aren't going to buy one either.

I'm not too impressed with the change. I LOVE my USG!

mom2leelee said:
My sister was the first person to buy this for me and we tried hers out before I even got mine out of the box. Being new I never had a chance to use the USG so I can't compare. I know this though, it takes practice. We tried with both a potatoes and onion and just couldn't get it. She was on the verge of sending it back. Then a few hours later after I went home she called me and said she just kept working with it and presto she got it and it works like a charm. My only misgiving is that many people won't put in the time required to learn how to use it properly.

If it don't work easily, they Pampered Chef should not carry it. It's that simple. The USG worked great...and although it was less safe, we all knew that and we told everyone. I cut myself on the new mandoline too while trying to get a piece of pepper out of the blade....I had tried the brush and running it under water and it wouldn't come out....I hate to be so negative, but I just can't in good conscience try to sell this to my customers.

I agree. I don't think it's something I would demo and I'm upset about that because I was hoping for it to be a big seller. I heard basically the same thing from everyone in my cluster. I guess they sacrificed ease of use for safety.

Just found this website and and I love it. The first thing I looked for was a discussion on the new slicer to see if anyone else was having trouble. I, too, love the USG, but this new thing is rediculous. I hate it. Some of you say to keep practicing. Why should it be so hard? All three of the slicing blades seem to slice exactly the same (very thin). And the food holder is so small that only baby veggies will fit in there. I just don't understand. I mean, they do give out the new tools to random directors to try out before they go in the catalog. I'm surprised they all liked this thing.:mad:

Well... I love it! By any chance are you pushing too hard when you slide the food down? I've used a mandoline for over 20 years... I have an old wooden one that has wing nuts on the side that you adjust the thickness with... and it's really unsafe! Anyway... I got my new PC mandoline a few weeks ago and I had read things here for and against it so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. I did read the tips from the website about using it. I really think that if you push forward (as opposed to sliding down) too hard on the food holder .. that it would make it hard but I'm hardly applying any pressure, using my thumb on the top of the holder and just sliding it back and forth and I'm not having trouble. I don't know if this makes sense but I hope my positive experience with it will give you a different viewpoint anyway. Give it one more try???

I hate to admit I have also had some troubble with this tool. I have finally gotten comfortable when cutting "hard" stuff IE: potatoes, apples, onions. My biggest problem is tomatoes! I do the rustic Focaccia alot and used to sell a ton of SNG's now I look clumsy.
As for it not working sometimes, I have realized that if the blade is not in all the way, even by a hair it will not work.
I definetly think we should all email HO and say the food holder needs to be bigger! Think red or green Peppers! Cutting them in half just does not work!

I do Believe HO had the absolute best intentions in restyling this product! It just needs a little refining.

Maybe I will give it another try. I tried it on zucchini last night and I agree with y'all, the pieces kept getting stuck! Not to mention it sent little shreds all over the cupboard.

I was disappointed b/c I told DH when I earned it how great it would be and could replace the plastic one we had. Then our friends that came over last night, she had thought about buying one last week but changed her mind and we are really close so I couldn't help but tell her I had trouble with it. blech.

I did like how it rested on the bowl though and the thinness of the slices.

I too had trouble but at my last two shows, my cucumber sliced up beautifully. I think it is because I was standing behind it. Try using it with it pointing away from you. I really like this one better than the slice and grate now.

I used it once at home and it worked. I used it for the first time at a show and it did not (good thing I did it before the guests arrived so they wouldn't think I was lame for not being able to use a product) ! I guess I need more practice! Maybe then I will really like it! I really liked the easiness of the USG!

I sliced my apples for my Taffy Apple Pizza today w/ this at my show and it worked really well. A piece of apple did get stuck once but other than that it was very easy to use. I was happy.

I also used this at home and I didn't have any problems then I tried to demo it and it was horrible!! I would have been better off if i had just talked about it!!

Heather

I'm about to throw my mandolin out the window! I can't make the thing work - it embarrassed me at a show. I'm taking it to my director's house tomorrow night for some Mandolin counselling! I want a tool to be easy for my customers to use ( and me too).I love my USG!

Took your advice and tried again. I'm so bold that I did it at a show on Sat. First it was good to hear that one of my guests said that she loves hers. I sliced a plum tomatoe that was pretty firm. I followed the suggestions above and didn't put a lot of pressure on it. It worked, however, I would like the slices a little thicker when using the V-slice. And I don't think it would have performed as well as it did if the tomato was any riper/softer. Those seem to be the only tomatoes that will fit in the food holder. I still think that the holder just too small. I guess that if I use larger and softer tomatoes, that I'll demo cut with my new bread knife. Now the new knives, I'm in love with!

I agree with the Rustic Focaccia... my tomatoes used to come out nice and even.. now they come out mis-shapen and sorta mushy.. BUT I do think it has alot to do w/ the tomatoes that they buy. I found a harder tomato, or firmer comes out nice but the softer ones dont slice nicely. It is a pain b/c it looks like it doesnt work great.. but I use it on onions ALOT and its awesome.

letscook04 said:
AND....
williams-sonoma
Mandoline
Suggested Price: $199.95
Our Price: $169.00

Deluxe Pusher Attachment
$29.00

I think that the Deluxe Pusher Attachment is the food holder. Ours is included!:p

I got the magazine w/ that in it, I about Crapped My Pants!!!!

I just wanted to add,
I never used the USG, and decided to buy the Mandoline.
I LOVE MY Mandoline! I guess because I never used the USG, I didn't have anything to compare it with.
But, before my Mandy, I would dread making salad, or cutting up vegis.
Now, I pull that sucker out, and have at it!
Keep trying!

Did you know that the blades for the USG will fit in the Mandolin? Use this as a selling point for those that have the USG and want to upgrade, this way they can still use the julienne cutter in their Mandolin.

1. What makes the OXO Mandoline Slicer different from other mandolines on the market?

The OXO Mandoline Slicer features a unique design that allows for easy adjustment of slice thickness, a comfortable non-slip handle for a secure grip, and a safety guard to protect your fingers while slicing.

2. Can the OXO Mandoline Slicer be used for different types of fruits and vegetables?

Yes, the OXO Mandoline Slicer can be used for a variety of fruits and vegetables, including potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and more. It can also be used for slicing cheese, making it a versatile kitchen tool.

3. Is the OXO Mandoline Slicer easy to clean?

Yes, the OXO Mandoline Slicer is designed to be easy to clean. It can be disassembled for thorough cleaning and is dishwasher safe for added convenience.

4. What safety features does the OXO Mandoline Slicer have?

In addition to the safety guard, the OXO Mandoline Slicer also has non-slip feet to keep it stable on your counter while in use and a locking mechanism to keep the blades safely tucked away when not in use.

5. Can I purchase replacement blades for the OXO Mandoline Slicer?

Yes, replacement blades for the OXO Mandoline Slicer can be purchased separately. We recommend only using OXO brand replacement blades for optimal performance and safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emiscookin
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • clshirk
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenapc
  • afokkema4u