• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Do When Your Mandoline Gets Stained and Clogged?

In summary, the UM was ineffective at cutting carrots and the orange from the carrot stained the mandoline.
DessertDivaFL
Gold Member
Last night at a cooking show I was demonstrating the UM and was slicing carrots with the crinkle cut blade. Tiny pieces of carrot got stuck between the crinkle blades and the plastic. Also, the orange from the carrot stained the mandoline. How embarrassing! I didn't say anything and just kept going.

Has this happened to anyone? Is it safe to use a bleach product on the UM?

Have you cut carrots in it before? I have never been successful with cutting carrots - they always get stuck for me.

The trick to not getting this stuck is to get a momentum going while slicing. If a piece is stuck when you are done and pushing the holder back and forth a couple times doesn't dislodge it then use a kitchen brush to work it out - I have done that and it works really well.

As far as the stain, run it through the dishwasher. If that doesn't work try soft scrub or some such product. That has worked for me with no problems to the product.

ChefJWarren said:
Have you cut carrots in it before? I have never been successful with cutting carrots - they always get stuck for me.

That was the first time slicing carrots. I don't think I will do that again. I did try to keep a steady rhythmic motion but it didn't work well. :cry:

DessertDivaFL said:
That was the first time slicing carrots. I don't think I will do that again. I did try to keep a steady rhythmic motion but it didn't work well. :cry:

Try a little quicker motion. And be sure you're not pushing against the food. Use the holder as holder not a pusher.

I had to cut baby carrots at a show last Saturday. A bit of a pain, some did get stuck but it did stain mine orange too. Which reminds me, I need to run it through the dishwasher before Saturday!

wadesgirl said:
I had to cut baby carrots at a show last Saturday. A bit of a pain, some did get stuck but it did stain mine orange too. Which reminds me, I need to run it through the dishwasher before Saturday!

:eek: The sooner you do that the better it will work to remove the stains!

I've never attempted baby carrots. Sometimes things get stuck, but for the most part once you've practiced a bunch, you'll get the hang of it.

Everytime I used the crinkle blade, the food gets stuck. But it's not a big deal. Just keep going and the food pieces knock each other out. The orange stain can be cleaned up easily with a weak bleach solution.

Personally, I don't like usuing the mandoline at my shows for that simple reason. Seems like you have to acquire a method to using it...I try to use recipes that dosn't use it...It is a $59 piece, but I don't actually think it sells at shows just because you use it in your demonstrations...if you flub up at the show, not a great selling point anyway.

Can you tell I don't care for this product that much!

I don't usually make a recipe at my shows, so demonstrating it isn't an issue for me. However, I do warn anyone who purchases one that it takes a little getting used to. I think it's worth the practice time, but it does take a bit of practice. I also tell them if they have any problems at all to be sure to give me a call. I will gladly talk them through it or even go to their home to help them learn.

I had a customer at my last show tell me that she HATES her UM that she bought 2 months ago. She thought it cut FrenchFries (I don't know what the Consultant told her ---- It wasn't me who sold it to her) PLUS carrots stained it.

I would do just as everyone else suggests. Just keep going in your demo. Carrots are hard and it is a little bit awkward with the UM - could you have used something else to cut/chop/julienne them?

I focus on the things that the UM IS great for and try to stay completely away from the foods it doesn't work well with. If I am nervous about using the UM for a particular demo - I don't use it - my nervousness is gonna make me screw up FOR SURE!

When someone tells me they "hate" a PC product, I always ask them how long they've had it. If it's a recent purchase, like Jenna's customer's, I remind them that PC will refund their money or exchange it for another product. We (meaning both the company and I) want them to be satisfied with everything they purchase.

If it's during a party that someone says this, I also point out that if it's during the first 30 days after the products have been received by the host PC will even pay to ship it back. I think this is one of the best things about PC's customer service.

LOVE the UM and use it at every opportunity.

I talked to that customer and gave her tips on HOW to use it. She wasn't open to accepting/trying those suggestions - which is fine - so it will get returned.

I think the UM is AMAZING for some foods and not so great with others - I wouldn't suggest carrots for the reasons that they could stain (if left for a while) and they may just be too hard/rigid to use at a demo when you are trying to show how FABULOUS of a product it is :)

BTW, my upline just uses her hand to hold the carrot for most of the way when she is shredding it. SHE even shows people that at her Shows - I personally wouldn't. But just an idea, for at home, possibly.

Ann F said:
LOVE the UM and use it at every opportunity.
Me too. I love using it shows and always make my guests try it. I don't sell tons, but I do sell them. I have a lady doing a catalog show right now (up to $1200!) just for the UM because we used it to make the Mojitos at the show she attended.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Needless to say, I won't be using the UM on carrots in the future. It is nice to know I am not the only one with this issue.

Has anyone sliced apples? Would you leave the peel on or remove it?

I have only seen it done with the peel on - I think that might add 'strength' to the apple (keep the juice in)

Let me just say I hate the new mandoline. I just got it a few weeks ago. I had practiced at home before my show last night, but for some reason, at the show I wasn't able to get it to work. I looked like and idiot. I finally just ended up cutting up the tomato with my tomato knife. Made me look like a goof!

ahhhh, the UM, sorry that happened, I have a love/hate relationship with mine and right now we are in "hate mode"

I use the crinkle cutter on things like baby carrots. The UM intimidates me still. I did an interactive show and when we used the UM, one of my guests used so much force on her first stroke down that she went off the mandoline, past the cutting board and the food holder flew onto the counter. LOL Funny, but very embarrassing for me and her. At another show we couldn't use the tomatoes the host had because I guess they were too ripe and soft, they just mushed in the UM. -sigh- At least we could then demonstrate what wonderful knives we have and the hold-n-slice was a huge hit as well. Cheap little thing, but it gave everyone confidence.

I use my UM at most shows...usually for lemons or limes. I find lemons work the best in the Vshaped blade.
I sell quite a few of them!
I never use it for tomatoes because unless the tomato is FIRM it's just going to squish.

tabnat80 said:
Let me just say I hate the new mandoline. I just got it a few weeks ago. I had practiced at home before my show last night, but for some reason, at the show I wasn't able to get it to work. I looked like and idiot. I finally just ended up cutting up the tomato with my tomato knife. Made me look like a goof!

That happened to me at first too. I laughed at myself and said "I guess I need more practice but I know a lot of people who love it". The host got it at the show. Since then I have practiced a lot with it and sell a lot of them - whether I use it or not, actually. Those who are interested in it do want to see it so take it to your shows even if you aren't using it.

I just don't understand why the old one is so much smoother to use. I know you could cut your finger off in an instant, but it really is so much easier and less complicated. :)

DessertDivaFL said:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Needless to say, I won't be using the UM on carrots in the future. It is nice to know I am not the only one with this issue.

Has anyone sliced apples? Would you leave the peel on or remove it?

I use an apple in th UM the most. It is my best Demo. I use the crinkle blade, Core the Apple Cut it in half lengthwise and pop it in. I say as I,m cutting.... "have you ever made apple pie, scalloped potatopes or anything that you spent alot of time slicing things nice then after it was cooked a lot of the apples or potatoes were all stuck together and the seasoning was not evenly distributed? Well with the UM and the crinkle blade that problem is gone! It helps you cut quickly and the waves help the flavors disperse throughout your dish. " then I pass the apples arround sprinkled with cinamon and sugar from the FS shaker. I also say "not to mention you can give your family fat free apple pie anytime and in a flash! *(The apples with cin & shug taste like apple pie)

etteluap70PC said:
I use an apple in th UM the most. It is my best Demo. I use the crinkle blade, Core the Apple Cut it in half lengthwise and pop it in. I say as I,m cutting.... "have you ever made apple pie, scalloped potatopes or anything that you spent alot of time slicing things nice then after it was cooked a lot of the apples or potatoes were all stuck together and the seasoning was not evenly distributed? Well with the UM and the crinkle blade that problem is gone! It helps you cut quickly and the waves help the flavors disperse throughout your dish. " then I pass the apples arround sprinkled with cinamon and sugar from the FS shaker. I also say "not to mention you can give your family fat free apple pie anytime and in a flash! *(The apples with cin & shug taste like apple pie)

Great demo idea! I would use our cinnamon or caramel sprinkles instead of the cinnamon and sugar though.

I HATED the UM when I tried it at first. I was the only one in my family that couldn't get it to work right. Once I got the hang of it I loved it. I just used it last night on a LG ss bowl full of squash. TONS better w/the UM than w/a knife!

tabnat80 said:
I just don't understand why the old one is so much smoother to use. I know you could cut your finger off in an instant, but it really is so much easier and less complicated. :)

I LOVED the old one! It worked smooth and effective! But I did hate the fact that at almost every show I had to hear about someone's trip to the hospital. OF COURSE they weren't using the guard. I feel like the new design has been made idiot proof, in other words no one can get hurt, but by doing so, made the tool less effective.
They should have not named it the "Ultimate" Mandoline, gives it the connotation that it can do everything. They should have named it the "Sometimes" Mandoline, Sometimes it works, Sometimes it doesn't. (I too am in a hate phase with mine, would rather use the Forged Santuko Knife!)

raebates said:
I don't usually make a recipe at my show

So what do you do? What are your show like????

:confused:
Carol

pjpamchef said:
I LOVED the old one! It worked smooth and effective! But I did hate the fact that at almost every show I had to hear about someone's trip to the hospital. OF COURSE they weren't using the guard. I feel like the new design has been made idiot proof, in other words no one can get hurt, but by doing so, made the tool less effective.
They should have not named it the "Ultimate" Mandoline, gives it the connotation that it can do everything. They should have named it the "Sometimes" Mandoline, Sometimes it works, Sometimes it doesn't. (I too am in a hate phase with mine, would rather use the Forged Santuko Knife!)

Well, at least you're demoing a higher price item! But really, the more you use the UM the more you'll like it. At least that's my experience. For whatever that's worth.

I love mine, but tomatoes are hard to slice, unless they are firm. I've used mine for cucumbers, carrots, onion (makes the most awesome onion slices), tomatoes, hard cheeses and potatoes. Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I might slice in the mandoline?

And I have someone doing a catalog show who swore she'd NEVER do a show--just so she can get the Ultimate Mandoline! My Mother! She was visiting and loved it, so now she has to have one!

I'm not a big fan of the UM either. It worked fine for me Friday night at a show. Today's show, I looked like an idiot. Luckily the hostess has one and LOVEs it so she talked of how she thinks it's the best thing. I was honest and said that I hadn't really used it as often as I should and have a habit of grabbing my santoka or food chopper for chopping and slicing most everything.

It was a bridal shower show...Still sold the UM , chopper and some cutlery. I LOVE the forged cutlery. I think people can tell the products we love, vs the ones we show. I love all of my PC, but the UM can be tricky!

I checked my sales I had that night and I actually sold 1 UM! Even though I thought I messed up I had a sale. Wow! Go figure!

I always show mine with a potato. I cut it in half with flat side down and you can demonstrate all the blades - it works great everytime. In fact it slices the potatoes very thin which when cooking on the grill (in foil) get done in no time.

CindysPChef said:
I always show mine with a potato. I cut it in half with flat side down and you can demonstrate all the blades - it works great everytime. In fact it slices the potatoes very thin which when cooking on the grill (in foil) get done in no time.

That sounds like an idea for me. Use a potato! Simple yet would demonstrate the UM well. Thanks Cindy!

I've found with the UM its best when you 1) make sure the holder is in the right direction. i know that sounds silly but a consultant friend of mine hated hers. I went over to help see what the problem was, another consultant had put the holder on backwards which totally screwed up the thing. 2) not use anything that is too soft or mushy (ripe tomato) or really hard (carrots) at the shows. This helps with the presentation. I've sold several just by showing them how i can run my hand up and down the um without it cutting me because of the mechanism it has. This is really amazing, since it justifies them spending a little more on a product that has a safety feature... just food for thought.:chef:

I have never been able to do tomatoes! They just kinda turn into blah!
Also, when I first got mine I was using it and part of the piece that you put the plunger thing in (you know that part that holds on to the sides) broke right off. I didn't do anything wrong it just broke...must have been damaged in shipping. At least that's what we'll say. So, they replaced it but I still wasn't the biggest fan.
After talking about it at a Cluster Meeting and hearing how all of the other girls loved it, I decided to give it another try.
When I use the adjustable blade it won't stay on the thick setting. Every time I make a slice I have to reset it or else hold it in place. I HATE IT!!

france59 said:
I love mine, but tomatoes are hard to slice, unless they are firm. I've used mine for cucumbers, carrots, onion (makes the most awesome onion slices), tomatoes, hard cheeses and potatoes. Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I might slice in the mandoline?

And I have someone doing a catalog show who swore she'd NEVER do a show--just so she can get the Ultimate Mandoline! My Mother! She was visiting and loved it, so now she has to have one!

My director said that one of her guests was telling everyone at one of her parties how she sliced left over ham and roast for sandwhiches! I thought that it was a great idea!

I'm sorry, I do not like the UM at all. I have ambarrassed myself too many times trying to demonstrate it at shows. I would take my old one as I love it and it is so much easier to use and works so much better. I vote to have this re-designed.

I like the UM when I am using it at home to slice potatoes & onions, and that's about it. At shows, it always malfunctions. Had to laugh at this one:
They should have named it the "Sometimes" Mandolin
One show, I thought I was playing it safe by just grating cheese, and it got all gummed up.Also, for a $60 mandolin to not have a julienne blade - there are other, better products on the market.

To clean the orange stain off, just rub some vegetable oil on the stained places. Works like a charm.

I am used to the stainless steel M from the kitchens I used to work in, they are more sturdy, then the plastic UM, but not as safe, I tell this to my customers, I have always at times thought I would slice my finger through it. The design of PC UM is nice and simple. Carrots are sort of odd thing really for the UM I find, easy to clean though. I use the cheese greater section for my carrots, i find it easier...cheers

merego said:
ahhhh, the UM, sorry that happened, I have a love/hate relationship with mine and right now we are in "hate mode"

I rarely ever use mine, I have practices with it, but maybe not enough. I tried to slice limes the other day and it was a MESS.:yuck:

I am so glad I am not alone with this. I was totally embarrassed yesterday at my show because it wouldnt work. I had used it before with an okay time but I just couldnt get it to go right yesterday

DCOX3 said:
Personally, I don't like usuing the mandoline at my shows for that simple reason. Seems like you have to acquire a method to using it...I try to use recipes that dosn't use it...It is a $59 piece, but I don't actually think it sells at shows just because you use it in your demonstrations...if you flub up at the show, not a great selling point anyway.

Can you tell I don't care for this product that much!

I totally agree. I have issues with this product at every show! Even slicing onions. I really think I need to return mine. The blade cartridge doesn't click up when it's supposed to. At home we always use the old one!

Just wondering if you are doing what I did.....I didn't slide the blade cartridge up from the bottom before starting to slice. I was just holding it and sliding it up and down. Hope this makes sense. Once I re-read the directions it has been working great!

I have to do an update, while I was on vacation I decided to get it out and practice. After using it, I found that the tips I have read here do work, Don't push on the food and I had to get a rhythm going, so, it is better, but still not my favortie item. somewhere on here there is thread with tips about using th UM and they do work. I still have a love hate relationship with mine, now I LIKE It, wouldn't go as far a LOVE IT>

I hate the new mandoline. I have yet to cut one single thing with it that hasn't smashed, gotten stuck, or just not cut at all. I took it to one party and it made me look like and idiot.

raebates said:
I don't usually make a recipe at my shows, so demonstrating it isn't an issue for me.

cwinter474 said:
So what do you do? What are your show like????

:confused:
Carol

I was gonna ask the same thing! :confused:

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "What to Do When Your Mandoline Gets Stained and Clogged"?

1. How do I remove stains from my mandoline?
2. What should I do when my mandoline gets clogged?
3. Can I use bleach on my mandoline?
4. What are the best cleaning methods for a mandoline?
5. How can I prevent my mandoline from getting stained and clogged in the future?

Last night at a cooking show, I was demonstrating the UM and sliced carrots with the crinkle cut blade. Tiny pieces of carrot got stuck between the crinkle blades and the plastic. How embarrassing! Has this happened to anyone?

Yes, this is a common issue that can happen when using a mandoline. The best way to avoid this is to make sure the vegetables are properly prepared and firmly held in place while slicing.

Is it safe to use a bleach product on the UM?

We do not recommend using bleach on your mandoline as it can damage the plastic and affect the functionality of the blades. Instead, try using a mild dish soap and warm water to clean and remove stains from your mandoline.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• koima
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Replies
Views
k1tchng0ddess
  • AmaraJ
  • Products and Tips
Replies