• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Used Soap on My Stoneware, What Now?

In summary, the customer recommends not using soap because it can leave residue on the stoneware that can be transferred to food. The Pampered Chef recommends baking some crescent rolls and throwing them away, or using a dish rag dipped in soapy water to clean the stones. The customer's mother stuck one of the customer's stones in the dishwasher and it worked fine. The Pampered Chef also recommends using Bakers Joy to spray on the stones when they stick.
pamperedtiffani
So I took an appetizer in one of my cranberry stones to a family christmas party. When I was leaving I was handed my freshly waShed - WITH SOAP! - stoneware. This was not a very seasoned stone yet - I had only used it a couple of times...

Any ideas on what to do? :eek:

Open up a can of crescent rolls and roll them flat over the stone. Bake and throw them away. The soap should be gone.

You might be fine, since the stoneware wasn't that seasoned yet and the soap usually sticks to the seasoning.

THis is an email I got from HO.

Dear Catherine:
Thank you for your reply. We recommend not using soap because most soaps contain waxes and oils which tend to adhere to the seasoning on Stoneware. When this happens, the soapy residue can be transferred to food, giving it a soapy aroma and/or flavor. I hope this helps, and if you have further questions, please let us know.

Christine Gallup
The Pampered Chef
Test Kitchens

Okay, take a deep breath and don't worry too much! My MIL did this to one of my stones that was seasoned. I baked some rolls and was going to throw them away but tired one and it tasted fine! Mine was not a long time seasoned stone, but enough that I was really worried all my hard cooking work had gone down the drain and it hadn't. I think they do okay w/ soap one time as long as you don't do it all the time.
Good luck!

I actually have a lot of customers tell me they will not do the "no soap" thing and use it anyway and they said it is fine. I wouldn't panick. Try the crescent roll suggestion! You will be fine!

I had to pick up a piece of stoneware from my SIL from her show on the way to another show that I had left. When I got there she sheepishly told me that my BIL washed it with soap. I had NO time to do anything so I took it to my next show and cooked in it. The recipe came out fine and no one said anything about the taste. I think if you have time a baking soda bath would be good (for the stoneware, not you!!) but don't worry if you don't get around to it...

I had a customer that her husband ran it through the dishwasher with soap since it was possible it was ruined anyway she ran it throught the dishwasher without soap and it had NO soap taste. Her husband got a BIG lecture of how to care for stoneware! He just thought he was helping!

I thought soap would crack the stones?

I don't submerge my stones in soapy water, but I use a dish rag dipped in soapy water to clean them all the time. I've been doing this for years (long before I became a consultant) and they are fine and nothing tastes like soap.

My mom stuck one of my stones in the dishwasher and when I baked on it after that the food tasted just fine. I also have a friend who washes her stones with soap and she even runs it through the dishwasher too. I told her that it wasn't good for the stones but she really didn't care much. I guess it is her fault if she ruins them.

I use soap (the foam stuff) on mine every time i wash. And I've never had a problem with soap taste. I think if you drenched the stone in soap then you'd probably taste it, but just a light washing I wouldn't worry about

mine all go in the dishwasher every time. I hate to wash dishes and had stopped using the stones because of clean up I was using my cookware (also put in DW) & foil throw away pans. I know what it does to my warranty, but I needed a time saver

I don't put my exec. in but Gen II and first prof. set lived in there.

My day starts before 6 AM & I am home all day and can cook up a huge meal, amke desserts etc but once kids get home it's run here / run there and after dinner I wanted to spend time with THEM or DH not cleaning up my kitchen.

now that 2 of them drive (1 is actually in college now) my car pool time has shortened but I still put stones in DW).
I don't tell my customers but, the only thing I've noticed is soemtimes one stoen sticks but I just remember the next time to spray it with Bakers joy.

I have timed myself washing my stones so I could honestly tell customers how long it takes. I've never spent more than 5 minutes washing a stone--and that was the muffin pan that has the small holes. My flat stones, bakers & bar pans have never taken more than 2-3 minutes to clean. I just put all of my dw stuff in first & let the water get hot while I rinse those. I figure I rinse my dishes anyway before putting in the dw, so what time would I save putting the stone in there too? It pretty much just rinses off with the hot water before I even scrape it.

One of my friends called me freaking out b/c her husband took the touchdown taco dip in the small oval baker to work & one of the ladies thought she'd help clean up & used soap. It was one of the first couple of times they had used it, so it wasn't very seasoned. I just told her to bake some biscuits in it.

No big dealI have a hostess that has washed her round stone in the dishwasher for years! She loves the stoneware and swears that it hasn't effected it at all.
I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

The main problem with washing them in the dishwasher is the extreme temperature changes. It could create small cracks that end up gettin larger over time and break. Usually they will break right when you have something ooey and gooey in it - myrphy's law!

I am still baffled by the whole putting stones in the DW. I could have sworn that you weren't supposed to do anything like that. Also with the soap, I was told way before I became a consultant that it would crack the stoneware?

SillyChef said:
I am still baffled by the whole putting stones in the DW. I could have sworn that you weren't supposed to do anything like that. Also with the soap, I was told way before I became a consultant that it would crack the stoneware?

I think the dw is what cracks it. The soap would just give it a soapy taste. Maybe the person who told you meant the dishwasher???:confused:

Not sure. But now I feel bad considering I have been telling the few people that have done shows with me it will crack it. lol. Thanks for this thread, that way I won't say it anymore and sell more stoneware. lol.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. I think I'll 'stick to' not using soap - no pun intended...
but good to know that my stone isn't ruined :D

Thanks again - you guys are the best!

What I was told...It is amazing how many different things we are told about our stoneware.
1) No soap is NOT the truth - I was told soap is fine as a quick wipe as long as it is NOT allowed to soak in soapy water. We all know the stones will absorb water. This is why baking french fries with that crystal freezer stuff on them works OK.
2) I was also told that soaking them in clear water WILL cause cracking if you use them right away afterwards. So, yes, soaking them in soapy water too will crack them but not becasue of the soap. Maybe that's where that came from but it is just the soaking part that it happens with. I let mine sit sometimes in the sink if I really have done a number on them but I will not use it again for several days. Water hits a boiling point at what is it, 350 or something like that. So if you let the stone sit in water, it will absorb the water. If you use it right away, the water in the stone can boil in the oven and crack the stone. I cracked my first Rectangle because I let it sit with water in it to loosen stuff out of it. Right after cleaning it, I then turned around and loaded it with another cassarole that night and sure enough, it cracked. Actually it didn't just crack, it shattered. The oven temp was 400 degrees. When I called the home office about it and explained what I had done, the lady on the other end said the stone was probably water logged and the water boiled and shattered the stone.
3) Yes, there are some detergents that will "flavor" the stones no matter what. Dawn is a good example of this. I had a customer wash out her Muffin Pan with Dawn. The next batch of muffins she sent to school, were gross! She was certain she did not let it sit with soap in it just quickly washed it out.

Now, I beg you all to take this with a grain of salt only because I have also heard opposites and arguments against these ideas and they too make sense. I just figure the company knows what they are talking about. They did the research and well, if it keeps my warranty in tact, I am all for it. Besides, I would hate to make the mistake of washing with soap, taking it to a show and finding out then that it DOES taste like soap. Great way to sell stones hey?

I have always heard that the stone absorbs the soap taste and gets it on your food, but in my personal experience I haven't had a problem when my stone accidently gets soap on it or is washed.

I also heard that you shouldn't wash a stone in the dishwasher because the microscopic pores get moisture in them that can't get out and they either crack in the DW or sustain firther damage that will cause them to crack in the future...

pampered1224 said:
Water hits a boiling point at what is it, 350 or something like that.

Water boils at 212 degrees Farenheit at sea level. The temp goes down as the altitude goes up.
(Sorry - sometimes I get "explainey". But now you know.)

We love your nerdy self Ann!!

chefann said:
Water boils at 212 degrees Farenheit at sea level. The temp goes down as the altitude goes up.
(Sorry - sometimes I get "explainey". But now you know.)

OK--this, I love! You rock, Ann!

gilliandanielle said:
We love your nerdy self Ann!!
DanielleQ said:
OK--this, I love! You rock, Ann!

All right- here's another one. The burning point of paper (at which it will start flaming) is 451 degrees F. That's why you can bake caramel corn in a paper bag - it bakes at 250. (It's also where the book Farenheit 451 got its title.)

Back to the boiling point of water. Raising the pressure raises the temperature at which water boils. That's why it boils at a lower temp at altitude. When you cook in a pressure cooker, it puts the water inside it at higher pressure (usually 15 pounds for a home cooker). That causes the water to reach a higher temp before boiling, which in turn cooks the food faster. That's why you can cook things so much faster in a pressure cooker than in an open pot on the stove.

nerd...LOL!!

chefann said:
All right- here's another one. The burning point of paper (at which it will start flaming) is 451 degrees F. That's why you can bake caramel corn in a paper bag - it bakes at 250. (It's also where the book Farenheit 451 got its title.)

Gosh I've missed you while I was away.

chefann said:

Back to the boiling point of water. Raising the pressure raises the temperature at which water boils. That's why it boils at a lower temp at altitude. When you cook in a pressure cooker, it puts the water inside it at higher pressure (usually 15 pounds for a home cooker). That causes the water to reach a higher temp before boiling, which in turn cooks the food faster. That's why you can cook things so much faster in a pressure cooker than in an open pot on the stove.

Who the heck needs the Discovery Channel or Wikipedia!! We have ANN!!!

1. Can I still use my stoneware after using soap on it?

Yes, you can still use your stoneware after using soap on it. However, it is recommended to re-season your stoneware before use to ensure the best results.

2. How do I re-season my stoneware?

To re-season your stoneware, wash it with hot water and a mild soap. Rinse and dry thoroughly, then coat the stoneware with a thin layer of oil (such as vegetable or canola oil) and bake in a 350-degree oven for one hour. Let it cool before using again.

3. Will using soap on my stoneware damage it?

While using soap on your stoneware is not recommended, it will not damage the stoneware. However, it may affect the non-stick properties and require re-seasoning before use.

4. Can I use any type of soap on my stoneware?

No, it is important to avoid using harsh or abrasive soaps on your stoneware as it can damage the surface. Stick to mild soaps and avoid using steel wool or abrasive sponges when cleaning your stoneware.

5. What is the best way to clean my stoneware without using soap?

The best way to clean stoneware without using soap is to use hot water and a scraper or gentle brush to remove any stuck-on food. You can also use a baking soda paste to gently scrub away any stubborn residue. Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing or re-seasoning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BethanyN
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
CAPCnewbie
  • km.spoiledcook
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
jennc112
  • FFBearPChef