• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Phone Fear: How to Tackle Sales Calls with Confidence

In summary, Katie is afraid of having a party and her show style stinks. She is working on herself and is courageously doing what she is afraid to do.
kcmckay
Gold Member
Why is it such a dilemma!!! I don't even know what my fear is. I'm not even afraid of No. I know that I need to go for the NO! I also know the fear is irrational at best! I really want a solid February! I've know got 2 confirmed cooking shows. Well one I need to still follow up on but I'm not worried about it not holding! And I've got one catty show to confirm. I also need to get a girl at work to nail down a date in February before she spills into March.

I was all set to just pick up an dial tonight and then I don't know what happened. I called my potential from early January and maybe because I really felt sure she wanted a show it made it easier. She almost tried booking January but I was booked the dates she wanted! (what an ordeal! ;) )

So I called her she answered was very open and we settled on a date! So why couldn't I continue to ride that high! IDK, I called my Saturday to host to follow up and left a VM, then tried another and got network down try again. No biggie. Called another who is a friend as well to get my feet rewet got VM, and host called in so answered that. We discussed show that I'm very excited about! 22 buying confirmed and growing. And I'm friends with them and a continuing party may ensue after that I'd be privy to stay at! :) Anyway back to topic at hand.

What am I so afraid of?? I thought I'd be less afraid and unwilling to pick up the phone once I got out of the position in my day job at a bank that required cold sales calls! They gave me the worst anxiety then and I always prayed for an answering machine! Now I work in a back office position and rarely have to pick up the phone and when I do it's not sales related!

And I don't consider PC calls sales calls at all. They are service calls so why do I feel like a bother????? I tell everyone that says they could never do this because they aren't a sales person, neither am I. I hate sales! Because I truly believe I'm not a sales person. I offer a great service and product and have a great time doing it! Anyway I guess I needed a rant.

I'm going to make myself, sit down on my lunch break tomorrow and punch in all the phone numbers of those I need to talk to. I know I may not get most of them but it's a stepping stone and I've got that first call out there. So then at least I'll know they will be expecting another if I don't hear back.

I need to follow your lead been a little lacks myself and on myself Congrats on your plan and spread the word.

Pretend that you are Santa and you have wonderful gifts to give, and you are looking for just the right person to give them to. When you make it about them and what YOU can offer to help THEM, then you aren't doing a "sales" call, but a "gift" call.

Wouldn't you like for Santa to call you and offer you a wonderful gift too? If it helps, put on your Santa hat too! Let them know that you have it on when you are talking to them.

They will really appreciate the fact that you remember what they need and have called them. Rather than know that they needed something and didn't call them and "your gift" went by the way side.

Hope this helps!

I'm so with you! I'm the same way. I'm very much an email/text girl and I know that you can't replace a phone call for customers so I try hard to call! But I know that "fear" well!

I am right their with you as well... i am a email/text/ etc type of gal but it doesn't replace the personal touch with your costumers. I have worked very hard to get over that fear and work through it:)

Katie, you are certainly NOT alone!! I'm there too.
For me, I THINK it's two-parted.....I do not think well on my feet so am afraid I'll say something stupid, not say what I wanted to say, or forget something important, etc. The other part I think is more subconscious. I'm afraid of actually HAVING a party! I have so few, that each one is like the first time over and over again. Scares me, and my show style still stinks. (lack of practice).I'm working on myself, but as Tammy Stanley says- "Courage is on the OTHER side of the phone call." You don't get it until AFTER you make the call.

I WAS the same way until my Director said the magic words for ME that gave me my "A-HA" moment. I use to work in Retail. Part of my job was approaching customers and getting as many credit apps as possible during my shift. Funny that I had no fear, no training about it but I could do that. Some people I worked with could not. Since it was mandatory to get so many a month and I exceeded the numbers I would get them for my co-workers who couldn't do it out of Fear. This experience has now changed my approach with the phone. I can now relate that experience of "no fear" and feel confident about what I am offering to the person on the other end. I think part of the key here is that we love our company, product, job and what we do for others however there is THIS part of our job that we have to enjoy as well in order to do it. We have to find that magic "A-Ha" within each of us that allows that to happen. Before, when I would make my calls I know I didn't sound confident, I was waiting for the NO! Now when I call, should I hear the NO it's honestly okay, if I hear too many in a row and need a break to regroup I do take that break to get that positive feeling back, and start again. Hope all of this makes sense.

Wow, I honestly thought I was the only one like this! I know I won't grow my business unless I get on the phone, but I just can't do it! Like esavvymom, I really can't think on my feet, and always end up talking in circles and sounding stupid no matter what! I wish I could figure out how to not be like this but I just don't know how! So glad to hear I'm not the only one!

No you are not the only one like this! But there IS something that you talk about with confidence to someone about 'something". If you can find that, reflect on it a bit and see if there is a way to work that confidence into your phone calls-you will have found your A-HA.

I've been a consultant for almost 7 years. I am good about making my calls. So, would it surprise you to know that I struggle, too? It does get easier, but I can't say I've found that it gets easy.Here's my question--are you a carrot or stick person? Do you respond better to incentives or punishments? I'm an incentive person. So, there are certain things I can do once I've made my calls. That could be something yummy I want to eat, a movie I want to watch, or a book I want to read. It's waiting there, as soon as I've made my calls. Another thing I've found that helps me is setting an alarm on my phone. At 7:15 on weeknights (if I don't have a show) it asks me if I've made my contacts. This keeps me from getting distracted and then realizing it's 9:30, which allows me to tell myself it's too late to call.

My calling record is no prize, but reviewing your post points to a possible solution: "What am I afraid of" is the wrong question to be framing. This pulls negativity to you and gives you reasons not to do well.Instead, make a big "what am I excited about sharing" or "How is my family going to react when I share we made the incentive trip" or "How great will it feel knowing my February has 8 shows" as questions - pulling positivity and energy toward you and your business. You can do it.Rae is AWESOME. I always put myself down from calling after 9pm, even though I was raised to not call after 10pm...so of course 9 becomes 8:30, then becomes a TV show I need to watch first, etc. etc. I love her 7:15 nudge alarm!

Thanks, Scott.

Try listening to "Phone Courage" Audio on CC > go to Online Training Center > chose Resources on the left > Chose Customer Care from the drop down but DON'T put anything in the search box. Phone Courage w/Virginia Stein will be near the bottom.It was really good, about an hour. You can tell from the title that she gets that some of us have fear of the phone! LOL!

WOW, I thought this problem was mine alone. Thanks kcmckay for posting this, you had the courage to put my thoughts out there. Everyone gave some great advice. Now I am going to listen to Phone Courage, thanks to you tiggerhale. LOL

I am definitely the same way and my calendar reflects this. My last booth event went really well and I got 2 catalog shows and 2 cooking shows out of it. By why can't I put that enthusiasm I have when I'm in front of people into play when I make calls?? I am definitely going to do the online training for it today. I want to fill up my Spring/Summer dates!

I'm scared too. I guess I view it as "telemarketing calls".

I have to say Im not afraid of the phone. I dont consider it a fear. I have no problem hearing NO. And I am a good speaker once I get goingI call it stage fright. I have bad anxiety and would rather pray to the porcelain god than to warm call/ make phone calls. I have yet to find a way to force myself to do it and KNOW that the ONLY way I will become Executive is if I get off my toosh and OFFER OFFER OFFERIm thinking of going to a hypnotist to get over this nausia

I was afraid of the phone too. Now, I can do it but still prefer not unless I absolutely have to. At this point, I'm not afraid of hearing no. I think my issue is that I don't like inconviencing anyone, especially if they give me their cell phone number, I mean what if they are shopping, or getting their hair done....I don't like to bother people. Although I'm providing them a service, but still it's something I wish not to do. I prefer email and facebook, and texting over calling that way they can get back to me on their time.

Wow I didn't anticipate so much feedback on this thread but I really like it. Some great ideas have been shared and I think it helps to know you aren't alone! I totally get the stage fright comments as well as the inconveniencing of people!

When I went to another DS party and booked a show myself. The consultant asked me if I preferred phone, email or texting. I was like huh that's a good ideas. I am not comfortable texting a potential host or past guests unless they text me first. It seems we've all just gotten too used to no talking to eachother! I'm a little better and had intended to get on the phone this past week and get my March fully booked! But I hurt my back and my pain meds got me all loopy and wasn't really comfortable getting on the phone! I will be making a few follow up calls this weekend and getting more shows for March! I've got 3 solidly booked one, I just need a date! My goal is 3 more cooking shows and 2 catalog! So once I have those and my contacts are used up. I'll relax until I have new ones from show for April and Beyond! :)

I have a terrible time making the calls myself. I know that I need to pick up the phone and just do it. I hate it when someone gives me their phone number and then when I go to call it, it isn't a valid number, or the number has been changed.

I have the Phone Fear too, and like others, my issue is with knowing what to say! When I get nervous I tend to forget the "building a conversation" and go straight to "Do you want to have a show?" actually I do this at my shows too, I just straight out ask them "Do you want to have a show?" Part of it is my personality too! I need to listen to Phone Courage again and set wording and use it!

I'm really thinking I want to do the 24 bookings in 24 hours thing on the site here...I think the problem with facebook and e-mails, etc., is too many times the ball is left in THEIR court...if you approach them and put them on the spot, maybe they will host a party. Looking back on myself, I would not have had the parties I have had for other consultants had they not approached me and well, pressured me into it...lol! Not saying I need to (or they even did) pressure me into it, but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to say "hey, I want to do that!"...

Laura4 said:
I'm really thinking I want to do the 24 bookings in 24 hours thing on the site here...

what is the 24 bookings in 24 hours thing?

1. What is "Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long"?

"Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long" is a virtual training program offered by Pampered Chef that is designed to help consultants overcome their fear of making phone calls for their business.

2. Who is "Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long" for?

This program is designed for Pampered Chef consultants who struggle with making phone calls for their business, but it can also benefit anyone who has phone anxiety or fears making phone calls in general.

3. How long is the "Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long" program?

The "Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long" program consists of 4 weeks of virtual training sessions, with each session lasting approximately 1 hour.

4. What will I learn from "Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long"?

This program will teach you how to overcome your phone fear, build confidence in making phone calls, and provide you with practical strategies and techniques to effectively communicate with potential customers over the phone.

5. How do I sign up for "Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long"?

To sign up for the "Ughhhh Phone Fear! Long" program, you can contact your Pampered Chef consultant or visit our website to register for the next available session. Spaces are limited, so we recommend signing up as soon as possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies