• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ugh!!! How Do You Work With This Host?

In order to help you with that, I will be happy to capture your guests' credit cards and close your show for you so that you don't miss out on that additional $100 in free goods. I have an open spot on my calendar this afternoon/evening at 7 pm. Would you like me to go ahead and close your show for you now so you don't miss out on the additional $100 in free goods and we can get your guests' orders placed in time?"In summary, the conversation is about a difficult host who is hard to reach and keeps changing the date of the show. The sales are at $779 and the host promised to close the
lkhartmann
Gold Member
I have a host who doesn't have email (but her son does.) She doesn't have a landline and NEVER picks up her cell phone and only texts me.... I tried for a month to get ahold of her to no avail, and then she emails me that we were onfor last Thursday, last Tuesday. Again no response to any communication prior.... I get to her show, she didn't get the ingredients but they had plenty of food and it stormed anyway so what ever.. The sales are at $779. Last Thursday she agreed to close the show last night with me stopping by her home on the way from a trip I was on. I go by (35 minutes out of my way and I was exhausted to begin with.) and she wasn't there. I leave her a note and send a text to no response. Today she said she thought it was today and I said ok we need to close tonight. She said she would call me at 6pm (after texting me all day about what her sales were etc..) So I have sat here for the last 2 hours waiting for her to call me back or text me. When she didn't I said.. I need to get the show in so people get their items in a timely manner. If I don't hear from you I will send it in with what I have.. Please note I have over $6000 with or without this show so as far as free for all it doesn't matter, but I want to be done with her.. She sends me an text (again refusing to call me) and says I don't like ultimatims so if that is what you want to do just cancel everything... I returned the text and said.. This is a business for me, but I have sat here for 2 hours trying to close your show as you promised.. what would you like me to do? If we can't talk how should I close out your show?

I know I am being snarky but I am so fed up with this host.. I feel like she is completely flakey and inconsiderate of the time I have wasted trying to reach out to her.... I won't send the show in but... how do I get her to close???????

Ugh. No real advice, just sympathy. Hosts like that are so frustrating to work with.

Tell her "i'm sorry I cannot cancel the orders without each person's ok. Please understand that this is the last day of the month for me and the deadline for the orders is today, so for the guests to get the guest spedial for July I need to submit it in July." or something along those lines. I make it really clear that if their show is closed out after the last day of the month it counts as the next month's show. It P**ses me off when they drag their feet to close.

I was going to ask how the people have paid. If they wrote you checks or gave you cash, then yes, you need to close it. Tell her that you have an obligation to the people who ordered items. You would like for her to get the rewards for inviting her friends and opening up her home, but if she does not want the benefits, you will turn the show in yourself. If the guests are 35 min away, you can either schedule one afternoon/evening for everyone to pick up their stuff at a Starbucks or use your commission to switch them to direct shipping and just send a note of explanation to each. Good luck!

I agree that its rude that she doesnt get back to you but on the other hand she's a customer and part of working with customers is there are all types.

However, as a customer I am more apt to respond to a request to do something when its presented in a way that points out the benefit for me the customer. I would NOT be particularly motivated by a sales persons need to meet an end of the month sales quota, as it were.

However I WOULD be compelled to get my *ss in gear if you said something more along the lines of the following because its about me, the customer and my needs.

"Oracle, I realize that you are busy but I want to make sure that you get the most benefits from your show and July is unique because of the host bonus of the additional free goods of your choice.

In order for you to receive that additional $100 in free goods we must close your show by the 30th in order to give us time to take action if there are any credit card issues."

Not exactly the truth but she's not playing 100% fair either!

Just my two bits. Your mileage may vary

Last edited:
This is why I hate it when people say they only communicate by text. You can't do a nice explanation with a nice tone in a text. You can't do "if... then" in a text. It is too easy for the shortness of a text to come across as very brusque and snippy. Her response about cancelling orders is why I don't like the idea of giving the ultimatum about submitting without the host's order. As you said, you don't need her to hit $6,000. Yes, she wasted your 2 hours waiting for her to call. Leave it in her hands to get in touch with you with her order. When you do get the show submitted, e-mail guests to let them know there was a delay (don't place blame) and let them know when host should have the orders.

Also, did she fill out the wish list on your website? I'm guessing not since she doesn't have email, but if she did, you could pick the free products that totalled the correct amount.

Not a big fan of texting, either. Bummer, sounds like you lost a show from "texting inference", if she saw it as an ultimatum.

Had a host a few months back, same way, never could get her on the phone. Finally via email I told her, we need to close by x date or PC won't let the orders can go through. Said I'll call her once Sunday night and if she was there, great, otherwise I'd get people's money back to them. Of course she is feeling some pressure regarding her friends & family. After all, I'm not the one seeing them all the time, she is.

It helped to put the cause on PC, not her or me.

Are you going to follow up with the guests? Credit card orders would be easy - the charge just won't go through. Getting people's money from checks back to them would annoy me.

Hope you are able to post back and tell us it all worked out in the end! Hang in there!

Sounds like she won't close her party at the end of July...now just out of spite. Her party total is a good one even though I may have given up on her before the party!

This is only my opinion...please take it or leave it. I would let her run her course. You may just let her know that no one will pressure her but The Pampered Chef has a policy that if a July party is submitted after August 15th then she and the guests will either have to forfit all July Specials or take August specials.

I do like the "Oracle, I realize that you are busy but I want to make sure that you get the most benefits from your show and July is unique because of the host bonus of the additional free goods of your choice.

In order for you to receive that additional $100 in free goods we must close your show by the 30th in order to give us time to take action if there are any credit card issues."

But you will either have to combine the two suggestions or tell her one thing or the other.

I know you want to get paid on the 8th for her party but from where I sit...I would rather get paid on the 23rd then forfit $175 in commission. Once it is over, you can just not consider her for another party.

These kind of hosts are a certified PIA but for right now you have put all of this time and energy into doing the party and trying to work with her it would seem a waste to just forfit it.

Again...only my opinion. Do what you feel fits right for you. You only have to deal with her a bit longer!

baychef said:
Sounds like she won't close her party at the end of July...now just out of spite. Her party total is a good one even though I may have given up on her before the party!

This is only my opinion...please take it or leave it. I would let her run her course. You may just let her know that no one will pressure her but The Pampered Chef has a policy that if a July party is submitted after August 15th then she and the guests will either have to forfit all July Specials or take August specials.

I do like the "Oracle, I realize that you are busy but I want to make sure that you get the most benefits from your show and July is unique because of the host bonus of the additional free goods of your choice.

But you will either have to combine the two suggestions or tell her one thing or the other.

I know you want to get paid on the 8th for her party but from where I sit...I would rather get paid on the 23rd then forfit $175 in commission. Once it is over, you can just not consider her for another party.

These kind of hosts are a certified PIA but for right now you have put all of this time and energy into doing the party and trying to work with her it would seem a waste to just forfit it.

Again...only my opinion. Do what you feel fits right for you. You only have to deal with her a bit longer!

I agree. And, while you were not out of line, she percieved you to be so I would apologize and say that you weren't meaning to sound like you were giving an ultimatum. Leave it at that or it would be easy to sound like you are blaming her (which she deserves but your pay and reputation is more important) - even blame "other things going on..." if you need to.

Yeah, I agree with the others. If you must text, say "sorry, didn't mean last text to come off as an ultimatum. I thought you were coming over to close and I really was hoping we could so you and your guests can get their things quickly. Can you just text me your wish list? If you want to do the monthly special and 1/2 price items, then can you call me so I can get your credit card info? Those perks are optional, too, you don't have to spend any $ if you don't want to. Thanks!" The reason why I say that is because I've had some hosts procrastinate closing because either they don't want to spend and $ and they think closing a show means you'll be talking them into buying things. But make it about her and her guests getting their orders and not wondering what happened. Good luck though! These kinds of hosts are thankfully rare, but so frustrating to deal with!!(I'm not good with texting though...that was wordy I know.) ;)

So I sat on this for almost 24 hours and had decided to bless and release.. ie... leaving the ball in her court. I looked thru her texts and while I know perception is her reality I wasn't asking her to do anything other than she agreed to do. I kept the focus on her and her guest, not me. (because really having the show count in August would be better to up my commission rate then.) But I also realized I didn't post the other piece of her... When she finally did text me right before the show she said she wanted to return all of the items that she purchased in June and when I said Ok I will bring a copy of the receipt to her show she freaked out that I wasn't taking them all back and doing the return. (over $150 worth of products.) I referenced the return policy for her (but did not point out I had been trying to reach her within the 30 days that would have given her free shipping back.) It would have been to frustrating at that point. She texted me again this am to ask what her rewards are, so for the third time I told her and left the ball in her court. I figure when she is ready she will close and if it is after August 15th I will put it in for August.

What a clown, she wanted to return EVERYTHING and have you box it up and pay to ship back?
I'd leave the ball in her court too...she can bounce it around by herself.

Yep Shell... She realized she did her order without her glasses and wanted to return everything... at my expense.. If it is one or two things I would have paid or split with her... but not when it is all and her mistake....

Unfortunately I think your commission will be adjusted if she returns the entire order. What a PITA person to deal with. She probably also realized that she could get her large order for free with her show. Just grin and bear it whenever she gets around to giving you her host order and be done with her. Embrace the joy of choosing who you work with.

I think you have been dealing with her just fine! I had this happen once with a host who wanted to cancel her party two weeks out because she wasn't sure how many people were going to be there. This was over email so I told her that I would help her get people there but to remember that this is my job and pays bills for my family. She took it the wrong way and blew up at me. She told me she had never heard of another consultant doing that before and that her mom was a direct sales consultant and would never do that to a host. I did apologize for the "misunderstanding" although for me, there was no misunderstanding! She ended up hosting her show and it was over $700 but I've never heard from her again.

Well part 1 of the saga is over. She closed it tonight, She has $200 in checks outstanding so I am having it shipped to me (yes I am holding it hostage til I get the payments.) Ironically I told her I needed one persons CC# and she gave the wrong Deb the message. The Deb that called me is a former team member and she assurred me that the woman is flighty and drives everyone nuts... She also said.. no one would think worse of me as they all know how she is.. (she was the one who recommended I hold the show til I receive payments.) We shall see!!!!

on a good note.. I closed out for the month at just over $7000 yeah! double points for Vegas!

lkhartmann said:
... She realized she did her order without her glasses and wanted to return everything....

Hmm, that sounds like a big fat lie. More like, "well now that I'm hosting, I want the host discount on anything I buy". Who the heck sits down to place an order if they can't read the catalog?

Glad to hear you're feeling more positive about it today! Nice tip from the other consultant to have the show shipped to yourself, BTW.

Wow is all I have to say. I hope you don't ever have to deal with her again. Eek!

1. How do I handle a host who is difficult to work with?

First, try to understand the root cause of the difficulty. Is the host unhappy with the products or service? Are they overwhelmed with planning the party? Once you have identified the issue, offer solutions to address it. If the host is unhappy with a product, offer to exchange it for another one. If they are overwhelmed, offer to help with planning or provide tips for a successful party.

2. What if the host is constantly changing the party details?

In this situation, it's important to communicate clearly and set boundaries. Let the host know that constant changes can impact the success of the party and may result in a lower attendance. Offer to work together to finalize the party details and stick to a set plan.

3. How can I encourage the host to invite more guests?

One way to encourage the host to invite more guests is by offering incentives. For example, if they reach a certain number of guests, they can earn free products or discounts. You can also provide them with tips for inviting guests, such as sending out personalized invitations or utilizing social media.

4. What can I do if the host is not promoting the party?

If the host is not actively promoting the party, you can offer to help by providing them with marketing materials or promoting the party on your own social media channels. You can also remind them of the potential benefits, such as earning free products or discounts, for having a successful party.

5. How do I handle a host who is constantly canceling or rescheduling?

In this situation, it's important to communicate the impact of their actions. Let them know that canceling or rescheduling can negatively affect the attendance of the party and may result in a lower sales total. Offer to work together to find a date that works for both of you and set expectations for future parties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • PamperedchefDaly
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Jessamary
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies