• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Phone Fear: Tips to Jump Start Your Business Today!

In summary, people have difficulty calling people they want to call because they are afraid of what the outcome will be.
dkitten13
I am making myself sick! Had every intention of making calls today - nothing crazy just 3 and I knew I would be so proud. I planned on coming on CS to brag about doing it and how easy it was...but here I am at 8:59...too late to call and SOOOO mad at myself! What is wrong with me! I must jump start my business!!!!

HELP!

Deborah- you aren't alone....I'd suggest scrolling to the bottom of this thread and click on some of the Similar Threads for what others suggested.

you are definitely NOT alone! i had a show last night, and one of the guests gave me one of her friends numbers who told this friend to tell me to call her because she wants to have a party and soon, before the holiday season starts. but i just couldn't call her i couldn't get up the guts to do it lol probably because i hve no idea how to pronounce her name Evelia lol

I am with you. I worked up the courage to make the first call and a teenage boy answered. I asked when would be a good time to call back, he said just leave a message so I left my name and before I could give him my number, he said we have caller id and hung up on me. Then I made dinner, did laundry, ate dinner and here we are. 1 call tonight and the first in probably a month!

You can do it! I had phone phobia for almost the 3 years I have been working my business. Here are some of the things I do to help overcome it. See if this might help all of you:

1. First, call the people that want you to call them, and say something like: "This is (your name) with The Pampered Chef. Did I catch you at a bad time?" Listen to their answer!

If they say "Oh no, not at all" (which is what they usually say), then say "Great! I'm giving you a quick call today at your request because I'm told that you're interested in having a Pampered Chef Party?" Then you can proceed from there.

If they say "Yes, it is a bad time", then say "Oh, I'm so sorry...when would be a better time for me to call back?" Call them back when they ask you to.

If you get an answering machine: "Hi (name of guest), this is (your name) with the Pampered Chef. I have a question for you that only you can answer. Can you give me a call at your earliest convenience? My number is (your number). If I don't hear from you in a couple of days, I'll try calling again. Thank you...have a nice day!"

If you get a person other than the one you are trying to reach: I usually thank them and tell them I will try again at a later date.

Calling the people that WANT you to call will at least start you on a good calling streak, and will prepare you for calling the ones that aren't necessarily expecting your call.

2. Make customer care calls. Just call past guests to check in and see how their products are, if they have any questions, just a routine call...not trying to book anything. This can prepare you for calling those people that you do want to book shows or join your team.

3. Challenge Yourself: Make a promise to call a certain amount of people when you sit down at your desk. Think of something you can reward yourself with once you do that!

These are just some starter tips to get you going! I hope it helps. I have been where you are, and at times, I still find myself there. Once you get used to how people react...it becomes less frightening. You may stutter or stammer a bit in the beginning...but that's okay. Just remember that whatever their answer is, you really are in control of the call.

I'd love to hear any other tips from anybody that might also help me!!!

Thanks!!!

Ladies- There is a great recording on the PC website, under the training section, called "phone courage" Listen to it, it will change your life. Seriously.

I have this same problem. I think about it all day and tell myself "I'm gonna do it this evening" but when it comes down to it I chicken out. Sometimes I feel that it's been so long since the show that it's just too late to do a customer service call. I know I'm just trying to rationalize my being chicken to call though.

I conquered the fear for TODAY at least. I had several host calls and a few follow-up booth calls.
  • I confirmed an October show and set up a time to deliver the packet;
  • I left a VM with a fair lead about booking a show- so I'll try her later;
  • I will call back another October host scheduled from my booth- she was busy today when I called;
  • playing phone tag with a catalog host- but at least it was productive tag/vmails. :)
  • and I called another host for a Sept show- but she told me her DH said she couldn't have a party. (doofus)..so had to cancel that.
  • I'll also call another catalog host to see how her show is coming- but that's an easier call since it's my SIL- well, not easy to CATCH her at home these days though.
But all in all, simply the fact that I wouldn't let myself get side-tracked (although my legs tried to run away!!) until I at least made those calls.I'm trying to carve out time to sit down and read the Carpe Phonum book by Tammy Stanley. Having a hard time getting INTO it. I wish the audio version was cheaper so I can listen to it on my upcoming road trip! Audio books keep me more alert when I'm driving long-haul, and I can accomplish alot in that time. :) But it costs 3x the book. If I spend that money- I'd rather it be on her full CD-set!

Here I am 9:20 at night and too late to call. I did manage one call last night to a guest from a July show that loved all things pink to tell her about October's BCA pink products. She was interested, promised to check out my web site and said she would consider a catalog show. So I mailed them to her first thing this morning and will follwo up with her early next week. Now I just need to make more cold calls - should I work backwards with customer care most recent to oldest? What about past hosts - what would be a good opening dialogue to start a conversation with them? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Another suggestion: Pick five people you just know are going to say no. Then you'll be able to practice your words, and not feel like you messed up because you weren't expecting anything. And who know, they might surprise you.

Oh I feel your pain I got an email the other day from a lady wanting to host. She told me to give her a call on Thurs. anytime so here we are on Thurs and I did call her this evening but I did nothing but think about it all day. I wanted to call her at 11am but pushed it aside then when I did call her she was in the ER with her son. So now I have to call her again tomorrow. If only I had called this morning.

And yes listen to "Phone Courage" on CC I listen to it quite often when I feel I'm struggling to make calls.

8:45pm called one of my wife's girlfriends - and got the gal's answering machine - my wife told me she wanted to book for a show. 9:20PM she called me back, asking if it was too late. I said no -
SHE B O O K E D ! I gave her 3 choices - Tuesday 2nd week of Nov, Tuesday 1st week of Nov, or Halloween morning - brunch. She picked Halloween!So help: How do I not do "too much"? She wants to do
A) kids show first at 10:30am - I'd do wraps and simple kid friendly tools
B) power cooking chicken - since that would appeal to her crowd of friends, young moms and folks without much time
C) have me serve a pre-made wreath to "hide the turkey" so, Turkey Cranberry Wreath.I was thinking of doing the Power Cooking Chicken - interactive style, plus do the Turkey Cranberry Wreath in an interactive station where I do the bulk of the assembly for that one, they can do the others.What do you think? I DON'T WANT TO Over-Do it. (*my specialty). My goal: 2.5 hours at her house, no more than that. I want to be HOME by 1pm. Suggestions?I did do Host Coaching Step 1 with her tonight in the phone consult/call. I did setup the show on P3 and sent her the host email for PowerCooking chicken. Suggestions? I'm really excited - this is going to be a GREAT show.

I feel your pain! I got up the nerve to make some calls today, misdialed one number, and got someone who spoke Spanish (I don't speak a word of Spanish). I was so flustered that the next call I made, to a single woman I've known for YEARS who I know lives alone, I asked "Is Jane available?" when she answered... um, hello... no one else would be answering her phone... she lives alone. I sounded like a telemarketer!! Ugh! I think I'm done calling for today. :)

I can relate to everyone. I have the worst time picking up the phone. I don't have a problem sending emails, but picking up the phone is the worst. I will do like most of you and just wait and wait and wait and then it is to late. I know this is something that I need to work on and I will listen to Phone Courage.

What is "Uggggg Phone Fear!"?

"Uggggg Phone Fear!" is a term used to describe the anxiety or fear some people experience when making phone calls. It can range from mild discomfort to debilitating fear.

Why do some people experience "Uggggg Phone Fear!"?

There are a variety of reasons why some people may experience "Uggggg Phone Fear!". It could be due to social anxiety, fear of rejection or judgment, past negative experiences with phone calls, or simply feeling uncomfortable with the lack of nonverbal cues in phone conversations.

How can "Uggggg Phone Fear!" be overcome?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for overcoming "Uggggg Phone Fear!", but some strategies that may be helpful include practicing deep breathing or relaxation techniques before making a call, preparing what you want to say beforehand, and reminding yourself that the person on the other end of the call is likely just a regular person like yourself.

Can "Uggggg Phone Fear!" affect job performance?

Yes, "Uggggg Phone Fear!" can definitely affect job performance, especially if your job requires frequent phone calls. It may lead to avoidance of important calls, difficulty communicating effectively, and missed opportunities. Seeking help and finding coping strategies can help improve job performance.

What resources are available for those struggling with "Uggggg Phone Fear!"?

If "Uggggg Phone Fear!" is significantly impacting your daily life, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist or counselor. Additionally, there are online resources and support groups available for those struggling with phone anxiety. It may also be beneficial to speak with your employer about accommodations or support in managing phone-related tasks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • Humble Beginnings