• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Late Night Informercial Madness: Have You Bought Any?

In summary, I spent an entire night with only 1/2 hour of sleep (5:30-6:00 a.m. if anyone is interested). I saw some of the dumbest informercials in the middle of the night. Guilty - years ago we bought some aluminum thing that thawed your frozen meats really fast. We actually used it for years and years until we realized it was the same as laying your meat on a frying pan & letting it sit for a while - LOLThe Magic Bullet blender thing always catches my eye, but I haven't given in!!I have heard that the Magic Bullet has been on clearance at Target and Walmart.hmmm... so tempting!I haven't givin in but I
amya
OK. I just spent an entire night with only 1/2 hour of sleep (5:30-6:00 a.m. if anyone is interested).

Anyway, I saw some of the dumbest informercials in the middle of the night. Has anyone out there given in and actually bought any of the various "must-have, time-saving" products that are advertised? Some look halfway decent, but you never know.

The 2 that stood out were the Vidalia Easy Chopper (or something like that) and the Super Sonic Knife. Any takers?

Guilty - years ago we bought some aluminum thing that thawed your frozen meats really fast. We actually used it for years and years until we realized it was the same as laying your meat on a frying pan & letting it sit for a while - LOL

The Magic Bullet blender thing always catches my eye, but I haven't given in!!

I have heard that the Magic Bullet has been on clearance at Target and Walmart.

I haven't givin in but I always thought the magic bullet and the easy chopper looked good until i saw the segment on our local news. they have where they purchase the product and give it a grade. for the bullet they couldn't get everything to blend up like it did in the commercial so it didn't receive a good grade. for the easy chopper it didn't chop as well either, but the ladies on the view love this item. after seing the segment on the news these items lost their appeal for me.

I have the magic bullet (No, not that magic bullet) and I dont use it all that much except at parties where we are mixing drinks, then its handy.

I think my favorite (NOT) infomercial is the ministry that will sell you "spiritual spring water and a prophecy" for 2 easy payments of $19.95! :eek:
God will have a field day with them come their time!!

Part of my job requires working third shift (like this week) and once you have your body adjusted to being awake all night, it doesn't shift back to normal cycles, so I'm often awake all night, too.

Ron Popeil made a career out of selling crap via infomecials and most of it is just that. (Do any men actually spray paint their bald spots?) There probably are some good things out there on television. Even David Orek is hawking his vaccuum cleaner on an infomercial - which surprised me because he sells a high quality product in a chain of stores, too.

My mother worked in the test kitchen at Oster for 23 years, so there has always been an Osterizer on my counter. In the '60s, they introduced the Blend and Store jar, which is a pint-sized Ball jar with threads to accept the Oster blade set. I use mine about once a year, maybe twice. I find the Magic Bullet amusing - a direct rip-off of the Blend and Store jar with its own power base. I think it's just one more blasted thing to not gt used very often and even then, a PITA to store and wash.

Darby, the one you're referring to ;) is probably more useful, not to mention, easier to store.

Hey I didn't get much sleep either!! DS is on a sleep strike... Anyways, my grandmother was a QVC, HSN, informercial addict. The worse I have ever seen.The UPS man arrive w/ at least 3 boxes everyday!! She had a ton of that stuff and eventually gave most of it to me b/c it didn't work. Yes, I had one of the meat thawers that I tried two times and got rid of. I don't have it, but I heard that easy chopper breaks really easy (cousing has it) Plus it is really hard to push through. Don't know about the knife, but they have similiar items at Wal-mart I think.
I read in an article about how many times the as seen on tv products can be found in local stores and you can return them if neccesary (From my Parenting magazine if anyone gets it) They also said that sometimes the 30 money back begins as soon as you place the order and it can take up to 3 wks. to get!! They are also able to charge a lot more, extra fees, yada yada...
So... In my opinion I would look for it at the store or go through someplace like QVC where you could return it easier. (I do love QVC) The only as seen on tv product I would say go ahead and buy b/c it really does work is those furniture movers that allow you to move things easier. They are awsome and you can move anything by yourself w/ them as long as you can bend over and put them under the furniture.

And you can get the furniture movers at Wally World, too. I've got a set that I just left under the entertainment center because it otherwise takes two men and a boy to move it.

The only infomercial product I've never seen in a store (besides Ron Popeil's head paint) was a portable grill that used newspaper instead of charcoal. I think Dick Butkus was selling it outside Soldier Field in an infomercial about 15 years ago. Looked good on television (doesn't everything?) but I wonder about real life.

Years ago, when it first came out, I ordered the Oxy Clean and I'm still loving it today... for soaking stain removal... it will even remove mildew, which in our climate is great to have on hand. I LOVE being able to buy it in generic now but that is by far the best infomercial product I've ever gotten!

Everything works so much better on television... as well as a lot of customers who say that we can make things look beautiful and do a great job... but if they got it they wouldn't be able to...so I have guests cut things and such so that they can see that we really aren't bull****ing them and that our products really are good!

that's a great point!!!

I have a pretty strong skeptic streak and although I want to believe the best in people and their products, my Bull-hockey meter tends to peg when infomercials come on.

I make sure I always make at least one major error when doing a show (if I don't accidentally screw up, which I usually do) so that everyone can see that I'm not a polished game-show host and let everyone know that I'm as much an amateur in the kitchen as they are. That way, everyone can see how regular folks can be productive with good tools.

I'm a sucker for the Exercise infommercials! I have to say that I've bought quite a few exercise DVD's that way.....the only one that I have ever used though is the Winsor Pilates DVD's - and I love those! My DH and I try to do them about 3 times a week. We both feel so much better, and have way less back problems when we use them consistently!

At least a DVD doesn't languish under the bed, collecting dust, like most ski machines and one-piece gyms do.

I bought the space bags when they became available in the stores and I love them. They really do help with the space issues when putting away comforters for the summer.

Look NO FurtherFor those of you who are infomercial junkies, but hate the cra**y hours that they are on...go here.

http://www.asseenontv.com

I'm sure you can find everything you need! :D

dollfangs said:
I bought the space bags when they became available in the stores and I love them. They really do help with the space issues when putting away comforters for the summer.
Perfect - you can order the space bags AND the Orek vacuum and solve two problems at once!

The Space Bags are great for storing all those t-shirts you order from Darby.

(I have the space bags AND the Orek and use them both a lot.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Perfect - you can order the space bags AND the Orek vacuum and solve two problems at once!

The Space Bags are great for storing all those t-shirts you order from Darby.

(I have the space bags AND the Orek and use them both a lot.)

I just love you!!:p

I didn't realize some of the products were As seen on TV! I've used those bags when going on a camping trip for all the pillows, blankets, etc. It made them smaller so we could take more. They really do work too.

I always make stupid mistakes when presenting PC products, but not on purpose!

I always wondered at that infomercial...if you use space bags to take more stuff on a trip, how in blazes to you get it all back home again without a vacuum cleaner?

I have this vision of someone using a straw to suck all the air out of the bag...

mbh06 said:
I didn't realize some of the products were As seen on TV! I've used those bags when going on a camping trip for all the pillows, blankets, etc. It made them smaller so we could take more. They really do work too.

I always make stupid mistakes when presenting PC products, but not on purpose!
Me? Make misteaks?

Mistakes in a presentation aren't a problem...as long as you don't get any blood into the feature recipe.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I always wondered at that infomercial...if you use space bags to take more stuff on a trip, how in blazes to you get it all back home again without a vacuum cleaner?

I have this vision of someone using a straw to suck all the air out of the bag...

haha I was thinking the same thing! the worst thing is traveling on a plane...and trying to stuff everything you brought in your suitcase plus everything you buy! oh yeah, and keeping it under 50 lbs!

jenniferknapp said:
haha I was thinking the same thing! the worst thing is traveling on a plane...and trying to stuff everything you brought in your suitcase plus everything you buy! oh yeah, and keeping it under 50 lbs!

Thats what FedEx is for!! I ALWAYS bring enough extra money to cover my shipping costs on vacation!!! LOL :D

I was wondering that too...on your way home from vacation how do you get everthing compressed back down?

I put my suitcase inside a bigger suitcase when I go on vacation. That way I have an empty suitcase for stuff that I buy!!!

re: infomercials...
nikkijo said:
I was wondering that too...on your way home from vacation how do you get everthing compressed back down?

I used to be an informericial addict, most of the items I bought are really good. Oreck vacuum, loaned to Mom who has Kirby and won't give it back now, Received GT 101 express as a gift and really like that too.

I almost ordered Bareminerals makeup the other day until I read a bad post for really light skin, so glad I didn't spend any money on it now!!

I also bought the Turbo cooker, now in stores too. I use the huge pan for other things! as well as TC recipes.

I bought the exercise thing, Health Rider paid over $ 600.00 for it and gave it away, it was boring!
I also had bought a couple of the original Juiceman Juicer's. I bought the vitamix as well and absoulutely love it!!! actually saw they were coming to MI state fair and drove hrs to get there to buy only to find out you had to order via telephone or inet :(

thechefofnorthbend said:
Thats what FedEx is for!! I ALWAYS bring enough extra money to cover my shipping costs on vacation!!! LOL :D
Yup! I go to Chicago (read: Conference) on the Amtrak Hiawatha. There's no baggage check and I've got enough cra...er...stuff to haul on the train. Hoo-Ray for FedUps!

Oh we had a vacume thing for our airmattresses when we went camping... but now I am laughing at the mental image of someone w/ a straw sucking out the air! It would have to be a pretty big straw! Or... you could pack your oreck along for the trip...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Ron Popeil made a career out of selling crap via infomecials and most of it is just that. (Do any men actually spray paint their bald spots?)
i remeber that one too. like the record duster or the pocket fisherman. Ron sure has pumped out the crap over the years. who could forget Mr. Microphone or the in the shell egg scrambler.:D :D

lizcooks4u said:
Received GT 101 express as a gift and really like that too.
:(

I bought the GT Express in a moment of weakness. It's ok for just 1 or 2 people, not a family but the shipping was horrible. I did the deal where you got 2 machines & the shipping was $29.90!! I tried to cancel it the next day but they don't allow that!! You can send it back after you order it but you can't cancel the order. Of course you still have to pay the shipping--they don't refund that!!

Another drawback to the machine is that you can't take it apart to clean it.
You have to just use a sponge or papertowel to clean it!!

mbh06 said:
Oh we had a vacume thing for our airmattresses when we went camping... but now I am laughing at the mental image of someone w/ a straw sucking out the air! It would have to be a pretty big straw! Or... you could pack your oreck along for the trip...
Camping? I'll just plug my Orek into any convenient tree.

This is the one I can't believe anyone buys.

http://www.ronco.com/_prodimages/medium/med_3packglh.jpg

Spray paint for bald heads. :rolleyes:

See KG you just came up w/ the next new and improved as seen on TV product!! The portable Oreck that runs on tree sap! Or maybe even photosynthesis... I'll let you perfect that part!
(we had electricity when camping)

What kind of a sap do you take me for? I'm not ready to branch out, so I think I'll just leaf.

I have that vidalia easy chopper!! It is really cool for things like onions, tomatos, and potatos. It is SO much harder to push down than on the commercial. It is worth the results, but you have to beat the $hi# out of it to get it to push the food through the blades. Easy to clean though!

gilliandanielle said:
I have that vidalia easy chopper!! It is really cool for things like onions, tomatos, and potatos. It is SO much harder to push down than on the commercial. It is worth the results, but you have to beat the $hi# out of it to get it to push the food through the blades. Easy to clean though!

I keep hoping that Pampered Chef will come out with something like that.
I used to have a Veg-o-Matic that was similar. I don't know what ever
happened to it!! Is it similar to the Egg Slicer Plus only for bigger items?
That was the impression I got from the TV commercial.

It is like the ESP but it has a blade with a 1/2 inch grid and a blade with a 1/4 inch grid. It worked really well and cut everything totally uniformly, it was just really hard to push down, especially with the potatoes!!

what is the esp??
gilliandanielle said:
It is like the ESP but it has a blade with a 1/2 inch grid and a blade with a 1/4 inch grid. It worked really well and cut everything totally uniformly, it was just really hard to push down, especially with the potatoes!!

I can't think what esp stands for :(

thanks

The Veg-O-Matic ("It chops! It dices! It slices! It easily makes Julienne fries!") was replaced by the Dial-O-Matic:

http://www.ronco.com/_prodimages/large/lrg_dial.jpg

Doesn't this look like an eerily similar, but a cheapsheite copy of, a certain unnamed product who's intials are ultimate mandoline?

lizcooks4u said:
I can't think what esp stands for :(

thanks
ESP= egg slicer plus

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm a sucker for the Exercise infommercials! I have to say that I've bought quite a few exercise DVD's that way.....the only one that I have ever used though is the Winsor Pilates DVD's - and I love those! My DH and I try to do them about 3 times a week. We both feel so much better, and have way less back problems when we use them consistently!

This is the only thing I've ever bought off tv too. Now you've reminded me I need to quit being lazy & start doing these again:p

lacychef said:
This is the only thing I've ever bought off tv too. Now you've reminded me I need to quit being lazy & start doing these again:p

These (the Winsor Pilates dvds) are really quite good! They are simple, yet challenging no matter your level of fitness - my DH is in much better shape than I am, and he likes them too!

If anybody has a Bed Bath & Beyond near them they carry the Winsor Pillates system that is "seen on tv". The store near me has the system on clearance for 19.99. For anybody that is interested in trying it you might want to check if you have a BB&B that is close.

Spray on hair!!!
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
This is the one I can't believe anyone buys.

http://www.ronco.com/_prodimages/medium/med_3packglh.jpg

Spray paint for bald heads. :rolleyes:

I worked with someone who used this!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL
You could TOTALLY tell!! It was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!
lol:D

Ron Popeil could sell hand warmers, thermal underwear and wool socks in the Amazon jungle.

And probably has.

SO true!!!
LOL
Although I must admit, I have the Ronco Rotisserie & I LOVE it!! :)

How many Ronco products are there in the world that are languishing in basements, resale shops, garages and rummage sales?

SusanBP0129 said:
SO true!!!
LOL
Although I must admit, I have the Ronco Rotisserie & I LOVE it!! :)

I have a showtime/ronco rotisserie and I love it. But I did have problems early on with one of the plastic "feet" falling off and never re-attaching properly, I gave that one away and took an amazon gift certificate my husband got and bought him a new one, I'm more careful with it now, and so far no problems. I love it, love it, love it. Chicken comes out so wonderful, the house smells great, only downside is how hot the kitchen gets when using it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
katie0128
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen2u
  • legacypc46