• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake Recipe for a Perfect Demo - Tips Included!

P
Pampered Laura
I'm doing this recipe in a little bit to take to a show... and I'm scared of it not flopping out the way I want it to during my demo. I'm not the most graceful person in the world.:eek: Any tips/tricks I should know to make it go smoothly?
LOL :rolleyes:

Really the flipping it out part just takes practice. I still don't always get it centered. When they had the Round Platter that is now discontinued, that was easier because it was easier to grasp than the SA Large Square platter. You probably don't have time to practice, but even if you practice doing it without a cake in there, you can get used to the mostion of grasping it and flipping it over. As for it popping out, I rarely have a problem with it coming out cleanly.

Good luck!! It's an awesome recipe that everyone loves.:)

Hi. That sounds really good! Can you post the recipe or email it to me? I'd love to demonstrate that one!

Thanks!
Shannon Whitall
Independent Consultant
[email protected]

I have been making the cake at home and flipping it out onto my Large SA square...easier than doing it in front of 15 ladies! LOL :eek: Plus, then my demo goes REALLY quick and I can spend more time focusing on selling our collections: cookware, stoneware, and SA!

I will attach the recipe here, too!

Attachments

• Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake.doc
    21 KB · Views: 465
I just made this for the first time the other night at a show. It is a GREAT recipe... and the flipping part wasn't too hard at all. I told the guests that this was my first try at it... and to take cover when I did the flip! They thought that was funny.

Here's how I flipped it: I positioned the SA square platter with corners pointing towards the handles of the family skillet. You can't be shy with this... just quickly flip it over. I found the cake came out with no problem at all. (I had loosened the edges with the nylon slice and serve first.)

What a GORGEOUS presentation. I am seriously considering buying the large square during the kit enhancement this month.

Love+
Rachel

I make this cake A LOT! In fact, I made it as one of my recipes last night at a fundraiser show. (It's at $623 but I feel terrible because she's not getting very much $:( I also made the Caprese Mini Sandwiches and they were gone in 5 minutes, I swear! I even doubled the recipe!!:) )

I ALWAYS make it in the Professional Stir-Fry Skillet for a prettier presentation. It makes a more domed shaped appearance and IMO, a lot prettier than a flat cake. You do have to bake it for 3-4 minutes longer since it is thicker in the middle. :D

Too die for!

Rachel~

Thanks for the tip about positioning the CORNERS of the lg. square along with the handles of the skillet. I have made this cake 3 times now, and never thought to do that!:mad: (I was setting the platter straight like a square looking at me, and the sides of the square were where the handles were...made it hard to flip over without the platter sliding.)

I am sure it will be easier for me to flip out the next time I make that or the Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

Isn't that funny how you can do something over and over again and completely overlook how if you changed it, it could make your life easier! I sure am glad someone else like you can "think outside of the box" and help me out!!!!:eek:

This is one of my FAVORITE recipes to do at a show -- it's easy, shows cookware and the guests love it!

I always ask for a drumroll when I'm ready to flip the cake. :)

KellyTheChef said:
Rachel~

Thanks for the tip about positioning the CORNERS of the lg. square along with the handles of the skillet. I have made this cake 3 times now, and never thought to do that!:mad: (I was setting the platter straight like a square looking at me, and the sides of the square were where the handles were...made it hard to flip over without the platter sliding.)

I am sure it will be easier for me to flip out the next time I make that or the Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

Isn't that funny how you can do something over and over again and completely overlook how if you changed it, it could make your life easier! I sure am glad someone else like you can "think outside of the box" and help me out!!!!:eek:

Hi Kelly,

I am pretty sure my recruiter showed me how to do it! LOL. It works like a charm.

Oh, and using the stirfry pan is genius! I don't have one yet... but for panorama I might just earn one!

Love+
Rachel

Mine sticks...:confused: I love this recipe and do it often as a second recipe, but I have a problem with sticking. Not the whole cake, just a little chunk of it on the bottom (sides are fine).

Usually, I bake the cake at home and then flip it at the show (drumroll, too), but I was thinking maybe it was cooling in the skillet too long and then the condensation was making it stick, so last weekend I tried baking it at my host's house before the show, letting it cool for 10 minutes, and then flipping it. It didn't work - still stuck. So I tried it home, but baked and flipped right away, and same results.

I have tried the recipe as is, tried extra butter, tried non-stick spray (Kitchen Spritzer, of course;) ) Oh, and I have done this in both my older professional family skillet and my brand new one. Any suggestions? I've thought about putting down parchment paper, but THAT defeats the whole purpose!!

Thanks,
Diane

New to PCHi ladies,

Since I'm new to PC, just received my kit this past Friday night. What do you suggest I use to make this cake if I don't have the cookware, or a serving platter from PC?

Thank you,

Cheryl

mom2kr said:
Hi ladies,

Since I'm new to PC, just received my kit this past Friday night. What do you suggest I use to make this cake if I don't have the cookware, or a serving platter from PC?

Thank you,

Cheryl

Be sure to ask your director to borrow anything you don't have. I borrowed ALOT from my director when I first got started. :) Just remember they get double new products.

KellyTheChef said:
I have been making the cake at home and flipping it out onto my Large SA square...easier than doing it in front of 15 ladies! LOL :eek: Plus, then my demo goes REALLY quick and I can spend more time focusing on selling our collections: cookware, stoneware, and SA!

I will attach the recipe here, too!

What cookbook is this in?

mom2kr said:
Hi ladies,

Thank you,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

When I first started, I bought the rice cooker and made cakes in that. (I sold a ton of them, too!) The rice cooker was on supply order for half price, so it only cost about $10. With that, you can make a ton of cakes. (Check rice cooker cakes in the search function of the recipe thread!)

You could make the turtle fudge cake in the rice cooker... it would just end up a different shape! All you do is drizzle plain devil's food cake with melted chocolate and caramel sauce and then add chopped pecans. Easy! (I found the recipe at http://www.joycesfinecooking.com/

Love+
Rachel

its_me_susan said:
What cookbook is this in?

It is in the All The Best Cookbook.:D My favorite book!

dianevill said:
:confused: I love this recipe and do it often as a second recipe, but I have a problem with sticking. Not the whole cake, just a little chunk of it on the bottom (sides are fine).

Usually, I bake the cake at home and then flip it at the show (drumroll, too), but I was thinking maybe it was cooling in the skillet too long and then the condensation was making it stick, so last weekend I tried baking it at my host's house before the show, letting it cool for 10 minutes, and then flipping it. It didn't work - still stuck. So I tried it home, but baked and flipped right away, and same results.

I have tried the recipe as is, tried extra butter, tried non-stick spray (Kitchen Spritzer, of course;) ) Oh, and I have done this in both my older professional family skillet and my brand new one. Any suggestions? I've thought about putting down parchment paper, but THAT defeats the whole purpose!!

Thanks,
Diane

I have never had the Turtle Fudge Cake stick....make sure you are using enough butter in the pan before you pour in the batter. I always cook it at the host's house and it is done when the show begins, I flip it about 20 minutes later, after my demo...then end my demo with the cookware shpiel(sp?). The Pineapple upside down cake will stick if I don't use a whole stick of butter. That's the only problem I have had. I also flip it onto a cheap pizza pan I got at WalMart since I am new and haven't ordered my lg. square platter yet!

Janice - you can flip it on your Large Round Stone that came with your kit. ;)
That's what I've been doing, and then put it on my Woven Tray. June's specials are the woven items. Trying to give people an early visual! :)

Lee Anne

pamperedbecky said:
Really the flipping it out part just takes practice. I still don't always get it centered. When they had the Round Platter that is now discontinued, that was easier because it was easier to grasp than the SA Large Square platter. You probably don't have time to practice, but even if you practice doing it without a cake in there, you can get used to the mostion of grasping it and flipping it over. As for it popping out, I rarely have a problem with it coming out cleanly.

Good luck!! It's an awesome recipe that everyone loves.:)

I flipped! I flopped! I did it!!!! and it looks BEAUTIFUL!!! It was moist! Wow - who knew! No do I do this for a show? Not sure that I like the caramel fudge frosting over a regular butter cream frosting.... What to do to with the leftovers. Who to give them too.... how to mention that it was made in a skillet! lol. :)

yum!

Susan, YES! Do this for your show and they will love you! Really takes no time at all and the cookware will sell itself. I make it at the host's house before the show and it is ready at the start of the show, cools for my 30 minute demo and I flip it out in front of them. I have had people buy the lg family skillet so they could make the cake....a $125 cake pan? Hmmm....The ooohs and ahhhhs you get with the choc-caramel frosting is nice, too! Congrats!!

dianevill said:
:confused: I love this recipe and do it often as a second recipe, but I have a problem with sticking. Not the whole cake, just a little chunk of it on the bottom (sides are fine).

Thanks,
Diane

I used to have the same problem until I realized they say "pour gently" for a reason. I pour the batter in the pan slowly and in a circular motion instead of just dumping it in. I think dumping it in pushes the butter out of the way and makes it stick. HTH!

Thanks Julie!Thanks for the tip - I'm going to make it again today for my family, so I'll try that. I am also going to try a different brand of cake mix. I usually get Duncan Hines. I'm going to try Pillsbury.

Thanks again!

Diane

I'm making the Caprese Mini-Sandwiches and the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake for all of my April Shows. I've done 3 so far (I know, in 1 week:D My sales are already at $2300!:D ) and everyone flips when I flip it over. They are truly impressed! In fact, I had one lady buy the skillet because she wants to make the Pineapple Upside Down Cake with it!

(Also, I sold 6 sets(out of 7 guests) of Twix-its b/c I told them about using them on the ends of tacos for younger kids! I know it's not a high ticket item, but everyone was sold!!:D )

other recipes with the skillet???Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have a list of recipes that you can just used the 12 inch skillet with? I know some of you have lists for the pull apart bread and quick stir pitchers, but do any of you have a list for the skillet? I would love to sell more cookware as all of us do and I am going to do my first demo of the turtle fudge skillet cake and want to give them more ideas and it would be great in a list form too.

Thank you so much,
Michelle Breeding #473065 (in SS2 month)

Michelle,

There are SO many one skillet meal ideas out there--on the back of soup cans, stuffing boxes, rice mix boxes, etc.

One thing I love to do is brown some chicken breasts in the skillet, open up a jar of some sort of simmering sauce or marinade (if you live near a Trader Joe's, that store is a goldmine for this type of thing), then finish baking in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. Simple, yummy, and only one pan to clean!

Another dinner I make in the skillet involves 1# ground beef, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, about 1.5 c water, some garlic (either fresh or some garlic powder in a pinch), PC Italian Seasoning, some frozen veggies, and some dry pasta. What you put in is really your choice. After you brown the beef, throw in the rest and simmer for about 15 mins until the pasta is tender. Then top with some shredded mozzarella and you have dinner!

HTH!

chefjeanine said:
This is one of my FAVORITE recipes to do at a show -- it's easy, shows cookware and the guests love it!

I always ask for a drumroll when I'm ready to flip the cake. :)

Love this recipe!

Just wondering if any of you have a list of recipes that you can just used the 12 inch skillet with? I know some of you have lists for the pull apart bread and quick stir pitchers, but do any of you have a list for the skillet? I would love to sell more cookware as all of us do and I am going to do my first demo of the turtle fudge skillet cake and want to give them more ideas and it would be great in a list form too.

Loved doing the Green Chile Fritatta from the last Season's Best Cookbook. Downside? The Nylon Slice 'N Serve being discontinued. It was perfect for this recipe. Leave out the chicken, it's better without it. Serve with sour cream in the EAD and some extra salsa.

Go for it!!! I just flipped my 1st and it was FINE! Some people flip to round stone & put that on the woven (June special - booking reminder). :)

Need help w/ this!!My hostess tonight wants a VANILLA cake?? Should I use the same icing? Or do you think I should try white chocolate squares & carmel for the icing??
I'm at work all day and can't try it out at home...she just told me this morning that's what she wants...so ya'll's opinion is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks a bunch!
Cheers,
Angela

Pink Icing?Just an idea...What about taking some pink icing and melting it in the microwave for just a few seconds, and pouring it over the cake? You could use the pink to promote the May HWC shows.

Diane

GREAT IDEA..like the strawberry icing?? How long do you think I should microwave it for?
Thanks!

1. How do I ensure that the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake comes out perfectly during my demo?

The key to a successful demo is preparation. Make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and equipment ready before you start. This includes greasing the skillet thoroughly and preheating the oven to the right temperature. Also, make sure to follow the recipe carefully and not rush through any steps.

2. What can I do to prevent the cake from sticking to the skillet?

To prevent the cake from sticking to the skillet, you can grease it with butter or cooking spray. You can also use parchment paper to line the bottom of the skillet before pouring in the batter. This will make it easier to remove the cake from the skillet after it has been baked.

3. Can I make any substitutions in the recipe?

While the recipe for Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake is pretty straightforward, you can make some substitutions if needed. For example, you can use a different type of nuts instead of pecans, or you can use dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. Just keep in mind that any substitutions may alter the taste and texture of the final product.

4. How can I make sure the cake comes out of the skillet in one piece?

To ensure that the cake comes out of the skillet in one piece, let it cool down for a few minutes after removing it from the oven. Then, use a knife to gently loosen the edges of the cake from the skillet. Place a plate or serving platter over the skillet, and flip it over to release the cake onto the plate.

5. What are some tips for a successful demo of this recipe?

Aside from following the recipe and preparing ahead of time, there are a few other tips that can make your demo go smoothly. Make sure to have all your ingredients and equipment within reach, and explain each step clearly as you go along. You can also have some pre-made cake or extra batter on hand in case something goes wrong during the demo. And most importantly, have fun and don't be afraid to make mistakes - it's all part of the learning process!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KateInTheKitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefloretta
  • rajenkiPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KateInTheKitchen
  • missyciccolella