• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake - Yum!

In summary, the cake was delicious, but some changes could be made to make it even better. The topping was a big hit, but the cake could be frosted and served warmer. The cake was easy to make and everyone loved it.
ahammons
I made this for the first time yesterday and everyone loved it!! I can't believe how easy it was too. I'm convined that I have to make this at shows now! :)

My ALL TIME FAVORITE chocolate/dessert recipe for shows!

Served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream - YUM!

I thought it was pretty funny that everyone kept asking "Did you fry the cake?" when I told them the name of it! :rolleyes:

I made this recently at a show, but I felt it didn't look all that great.

First, the cake rised pointy. I think it's because of that first butter step (in the Exec skillet) -- either I should have skipped it or I did too much or too little butter on the sides.

Then, when I poured the warm topping from the micro-cooker, it just kinda glopped out onto the cake. It was embarrasing. Luckily, the chocolate smell was strong and enticing. But still, only half the cake was eaten.

Any tips for improvement?

For the topping - I would make sure it was warmer, so it would spread easier - and also frost the cake as soon as you flip it. Don't wait for it to cool.

For a pointy middle......hmmm, I'm stumped on that one. I make this cake all the time - I always use butter - I just melt it and sorta swirl it around the bottom of the pan, and then pour in the cake mix. I've never had a "pointy middle":confused: Was the temperature correct? Usually a cake will raise in the middle like that because the edges either can't climb the sides of the pan (don't spread the butter along the sides) or because the temp is high enough that the edges are baking faster than the middle - once they are baked, they won't climb any higher. (which is why muffins are usually baked at a higher temp. - to give them that nice peak)

After the cake is glazed with the caramel/chocolate mixture, I sprinkle the chopped pecans all over it, and then drizzle more caramel over it. It always gets lots of oohhhs and aahhhs.

I love this cake..........have made this at several shows...and it's always a hit!!

ChefBeckyD said:
For the topping - I would make sure it was warmer, so it would spread easier - and also frost the cake as soon as you flip it. Don't wait for it to cool.

For a pointy middle......hmmm, I'm stumped on that one. I make this cake all the time - I always use butter - I just melt it and sorta swirl it around the bottom of the pan, and then pour in the cake mix. I've never had a "pointy middle":confused: Was the temperature correct? Usually a cake will raise in the middle like that because the edges either can't climb the sides of the pan (don't spread the butter along the sides) or because the temp is high enough that the edges are baking faster than the middle - once they are baked, they won't climb any higher. (which is why muffins are usually baked at a higher temp. - to give them that nice peak)

After the cake is glazed with the caramel/chocolate mixture, I sprinkle the chopped pecans all over it, and then drizzle more caramel over it. It always gets lots of oohhhs and aahhhs.

Thanks Becky - I think I did get some butter on the sides, so I'll be sure not to do that again. And adding more caramel after the nuts sounds good too. When I got home, I realized I completely forgot that last "optional" step!

I had baked the cake in advance at home (as I had seen another consultant do), but I could try baking it at the host's place. But aren't you supposed to let the cake cool in the pan before flipping anyway?

lauraP2000 said:
Thanks Becky - I think I did get some butter on the sides, so I'll be sure not to do that again. And adding more caramel after the nuts sounds good too. When I got home, I realized I completely forgot that last "optional" step!

I had baked the cake in advance at home (as I had seen another consultant do), but I could try baking it at the host's place. But aren't you supposed to let the cake cool in the pan before flipping anyway?

I let mine cool for (maybe) 5 minutes before flipping it out - I always serve it warm with ice cream!:love: :love: :love:

What ingredients are needed for the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake?

The Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake requires the following ingredients: chocolate cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, milk, caramel sauce, chopped pecans, and chocolate chips.

Can I use a regular cake pan instead of a skillet?

Yes, you can use a regular cake pan instead of a skillet. Just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.

How do I make the chocolate fudge topping for the cake?

To make the chocolate fudge topping, simply melt chocolate chips and milk in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring until smooth. Then pour it over the baked cake and add the toppings.

Can I substitute the pecans with a different nut?

Yes, you can substitute the pecans with walnuts or almonds if desired.

How do I store the leftover Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake?

The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for longer storage, just be sure to thaw it before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KateInTheKitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefloretta
Replies
Views
PCSarahjm
  • SusanBP0129
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies