• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Turkey in a Bag: Electric Roaster Option?

In summary, Paula is thinking about trying to make the turkey in a bag in an electric roaster instead of the oven, but she's worried about how to cook the corn bake and whether the turkey will fit in her roaster pan.
ChefPaulaB
Has anyone ever tried this? And does anyone know if you can make the turkey in a bag in an electric roaster instead of the oven? Thinking about trying this for Thanksgiving, saw it on Allrecipes.com and it got great reviews, but I have to make mine in an electric roaster to free up oven space for other things...

The instructions on my oven bags from Reynolds says not to use them in an electric roaster...

I'm using my crockpot to make the stuffing to free up oven space. I'm also making the sweet potatoes today in my Oval Baker, and then tomorrow I"ll reheat in the microwave...

Hmmm, bummer... I was hoping to be able to try it. I have to make my corn bake and that takes an hour in the oven and my oven is a convection and that stupid fan takes up so much room that there isn't enough room in the oven for a turkey and the DCB... Guess I'll have to skip the bag... thanks for checking that for me Becky! Happy Thanksgiving!

ChefPaulaB said:
Hmmm, bummer... I was hoping to be able to try it. I have to make my corn bake and that takes an hour in the oven and my oven is a convection and that stupid fan takes up so much room that there isn't enough room in the oven for a turkey and the DCB... Guess I'll have to skip the bag... thanks for checking that for me Becky! Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Paula!

Have you thought about doing the corn bake in the micro in the DCB? I've never tried that, but I have made the cheesy potatoes in the micro in it, and it turned out great...but then, maybe Thanksgiving isn't when you want to experiment? :eek:

Yeah, I know I thought about that, but have never tried it before and it kind of rises so don't know if that would work in the microwave... I'll figure it out, I bought some bags just in case I can work it out. Maybe cook the turkey until I have to put the corn bake in and just put it in the electric roaster to keep warm? You have to let it rest for a certain amount of time anyway before you carve it, right? So, that might work... I'll have to check my roaster pan (I don't have the PC one:cry: so not even sure if the one that I have will hold my 20 pound turkey!)... thanks!!

1. What is an electric roaster and how does it work for cooking turkey in a bag?

An electric roaster is a kitchen appliance that is specifically designed for roasting meats and other dishes. It works by using electricity to heat up the interior of the roaster, which then cooks the food inside. When cooking turkey in a bag, the electric roaster provides an even and consistent heat, resulting in a perfectly cooked turkey.

2. How big of an electric roaster do I need for cooking a turkey in a bag?

The size of the electric roaster you will need depends on the size of your turkey. As a general rule, you should choose an electric roaster that can hold a turkey that is 2 to 4 pounds larger than the turkey you plan to cook. For example, if you are cooking a 10-pound turkey, you will need an electric roaster that can hold a 12 to 14-pound turkey.

3. Do I need to add any liquid to the bag when cooking a turkey in an electric roaster?

No, you do not need to add any liquid to the bag when cooking a turkey in an electric roaster. The turkey will produce its own moisture as it cooks, and the bag will help to keep it tender and juicy. You can, however, add herbs, spices, and other seasonings to the bag for added flavor.

4. Can I use an electric roaster to cook a stuffed turkey in a bag?

No, it is not recommended to cook a stuffed turkey in a bag in an electric roaster. The stuffing can prevent the turkey from cooking evenly and increase the risk of foodborne illness. It is best to cook the stuffing separately in a casserole dish.

5. How long does it take to cook a turkey in a bag in an electric roaster?

The cooking time for a turkey in a bag in an electric roaster will vary depending on the size of the turkey and the temperature of the roaster. As a general rule, a 12-pound turkey will take approximately 3 to 4 hours to cook at 350°F in an electric roaster. It is important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the turkey is fully cooked before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tloudermilk
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
MissChef
  • LeslieSGI
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefa
  • minersmix