1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Traveling with wooden skewers

1. ChefMary412

ChefMary412 Advanced Member

I am going to a Jimmy Buffet concert this weekend. I am making pork, pepper, and pineapple skewers with the pineapple rum sauce... it will go great with a Corona.
    I am wondering what is the best way to travel with it. I know you are supposed to soak the wooden skewers before use. Can I soak them, then put the food on it and then pack it to cook there?
    Should I just put it together there? I was hoping that would not be the best way.
    I have never used wooden ones before so any help would be good.

Jun 23, 2009
  2. whiteyteresa

whiteyteresa Veteran Member

it would be best to do it there

in my own opinion

:chef:

Jun 23, 2009
  3. trps

trps Advanced Member Silver Member

I LOVE Jimmy Buffet! Where are you going? I was at 2 one I saw and heard the other I heard but never made it into the show! The second was much funner!

Jun 23, 2009
  4. leftymac

leftymac Veteran Member

The point of soaking them is so that the skewers will be wet when you put them on the grill, and not burn. If you soak them before, then assemble, then travel, it kind of defeats the purpose of soaking them to begin with.

Jun 23, 2009
  5. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Yeah, don't assemble them til you get there. Here's an idea I've heard:

Take an empty 2-liter bottle. Put your wooden skewers in the bottle. Fill it almost full with water. Cap the bottle. Take the bottle to wherever you're cooking or store the bottle in the fridge. The skewers will sort of pop out when you open the bottle, and they'll be nice and wet.

Jun 24, 2009
  6. ChefMary412

ChefMary412 Advanced Member

Thanks for the help. yeah, I figured soaking not cooking immediately was kind of foolish.. just hoping not to do it there. I actually think I am going to precook them, so they are ready to eat.. just warm up a little.

We are seeing them in Massachusetts at Great Woods... well, that is what it was called years ago. I think it is the Comcast Center now. So excited!!!

Jun 24, 2009
Have something to add?