• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How do I get from the airport to my hotel in Chicago?

In summary, the Orange line train is simple and only $2. Some hotels have a shuttle that will pick you up for free.
kaseydee
Gold Member
I am flying in by myself & wondering how everyone gets from the airport to the hotel. Do you take a taxi? I have always had someone there to pick me up when I've flown into Chicago. I am coming into Midway & staying at either Hilton or Palmer house. The people I am staying with may change hotels.

The Orange line train is simple and only $2.

Some hotels have a shuttle that will pick you up for free.

DebbieJ said:
The Orange line train is simple and only $2.

Do you know what time that runs? I get there at 4:50AM.

Addie4TLC said:

I'm pretty sure it runs every 15 mins. If you're on a weekday you'll have no problem b/c that's the start of the daily commute.

Addie4TLC said:

Good Lord Woman! Afraid of being late?

Wait. There's a 4:50 am now? When was that added to the day?

chefann said:

I think that must be only in some parts of the country....

Does that Orange line run from O'Hare too?

pamperedlinda said:
Good Lord Woman! Afraid of being late?

:D That was the cheapest we could find (direct flight) $396. The Director's event is that morning so I had to be early. I better get some sleep on the plane or I will be useless.

I was just concerned that the line didn't start until later on in the morning. That's great, we usually all share a taxi but only one of my girls is going with me.

Thanks Debbie!

The hotels use a shuttle service company (don't know their hours) but it's like $22 one way and $40 round trip (those are estimate amounts I can't find the sheet I wrote them on - duh). If you call the hotel they will give you the number for the shuttle company.

chefann said:

I never knew it existed until I got pregnant!! Apparently there's also a 4:10am since that's when I have to wake up to pee now!

Thanks so much Debbie for the Orange line info. Now what street do I get off at? There are no address on the paperwork that I could find for the hotels. Plus is anyone else getting into Midway around 12:30 Wed that would want to ride the train together for buddy support? I might look like a good target for someone not so friendly. :)

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
I think that must be only in some parts of the country....

Does that Orange line run from O'Hare too?

From O'Hare it's the Blue line.

kaseydee said:
Thanks so much Debbie for the Orange line info. Now what street do I get off at? There are no address on the paperwork that I could find for the hotels. Plus is anyone else getting into Midway around 12:30 Wed that would want to ride the train together for buddy support? I might look like a good target for someone not so friendly. :)

I recommend everyone interested in taking the trains check out Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA. They have a Trip Planner right on the front page.

I'm sure if you call the hotel and ask for directions from the Orange line (Midway) or Blue line (O'Hare) they'll be able to tell you.

Deb,Thanks so much for the O'Hare info! I'm going to check it out right now.Kathy

kaseydee said:
There are no address on the paperwork that I could find for the hotels.

If you go to the hotel's parent company corporate site, you can usually look up their street address so you can plug it in to other sites.

Do the CTA all the time! Very convenient and CHEAP! Two things I like about it!

Shuttle was great for me. I flew in after midnight and wasn't wanting to take blue line or have to walk a minimum of 2 blocks. It's just not safe, ya know?!

redsoxgirl said:
I never knew it existed until I got pregnant!! Apparently there's also a 4:10am since that's when I have to wake up to pee now!

I could have told you that one existed. That's the time I get up each morning.

I know. I know. I'm weird. Trust me, that's just one of many, many ways. :cool:

So it is safter at around 5:30 or so (after picking up luggage etc.) than midnight?? Muggers don't get up that early do they? :)

Not to strike fear in anyone but either last year or the year before I ran into two different people who were as they put it "mugged" on the train. One of those pickpocketed was a guy!:eek: And both happened during the day (not early morning or late evening/night).

I would NOT travel the train alone any time. It's not worth the savings. Take a shuttle or cab especially if you are alone. You have a suitcase and other travel red flags that those people are looking for.

Now I know you Chicago people are going to say how safe it is and I am sure it is relatively so. I am just relating information from two very distressed consultants that I met. Two out of thousands. You make your own decisions but personally, two is enough for me to spend the extra money and feel safer.

Addie4TLC said:
So it is safter at around 5:30 or so (after picking up luggage etc.) than midnight?? Muggers don't get up that early do they? :)
The morning is the daily commute crowd so you should have no problems.Take this from someone who will be riding the trains by herself on Friday (meeting DH downtown for dinner) and then again with my 4 yo son next Weds (going to Taste of Chicago). :D

The only time I rode the train from the airport was when I travelled to Chicago with one of my recruits who was born and raised in Chicago and knew the subway system (and streets of Chicago once you get off) well. I had also been to conference 2 years in a row prior, so I was pretty familiar with the city by then, too. If you're not comfortable riding public transit by yourself, or having to lug all of your luggage from the train stop to your hotel, I would definitely suggest a shuttle. They're the better option over a taxi, which I did one year when I flew in by myself. The taxi was expensive and scarier than the subway!! LOL! Good luck!

DebbieJ said:
The morning is the daily commute crowd so you should have no problems.

Take this from someone who will be riding the trains by herself on Friday (meeting DH downtown for dinner) and then again with my 4 yo son next Weds (going to Taste of Chicago). :D

Okay, thank you. Los Angeles is new to trains (only a few years since we've had them and in "da hood" they can be pretty scarry), I have only been on it a few times. Some interesting people get on but I'm used to it. I will see what my consultant wants to do and we'll play it by ear.

Thank you all for your comments, it will help once we get there. Maybe there will be lots of consultants doing the same thing and we can put the PC beat down on any mugger that wants a peice of this. :)

There are some tips you can take to protect yourself from muggers and pickpockets (2 different things): be aware of the people around you; never take your eyes off your things; don't give away the location of your wallet by reaching for it (that's how pickpockets know where to go); don't wear flashy jewelry or flash electronics, etc... If you are at all nervous, spend the extra bucks and take a cab.

chefann said:
There are some tips you can take to protect yourself from muggers and pickpockets (2 different things): be aware of the people around you; never take your eyes off your things; don't give away the location of your wallet by reaching for it (that's how pickpockets know where to go); don't wear flashy jewelry or flash electronics, etc... If you are at all nervous, spend the extra bucks and take a cab.

I agree. They can smell the fear in people. I look at people in the eye and give them the Dirty Harry stare down, it has worked for me all of these years living in Los Angeles. :)

Last edited:
Oh honey, Chicago has NOTHING on L.A. You will be fine.Take this from someone who used to live in L.A. and worked in Van Nuys, of all places!

You might check, I'm not sure it runs quite that early. I have taken the L to and from airports (both midway and O'hare) for the last 4 years and felt perfectly safe. However, I probably won't commin in this year as we land at midway around 10pm. I think we're going to reserve a shuttle on Consultants corner. One thing I did last year and it was fabulous, you could take your bags to McCormick on the last day and they had a airlines check in. We then took the L to Ohare with only our carry-on with us!!

The first weekday Orange Line train is at 3:55 a.m. She'll be fine.

Can any of you Chicago natives tell me what train line one would take from O'Hare to Palmer House?

I'm traveling by myself this year too and I ended up using the Go! Airport Shuttle

One Reservation System
For the first time, you can book a shared ride (or, in some cities, a private car) to/from your destination airport on the same Web site: Airport Shuttle Airport Ground Transportation Airport Transfer Airport Limo Airport Limousine Akron, OH CAK Atlanta, GA ATL Baltimore, MD BWI Beauvais, France BVA Boston, MA BOS Burbank, CA BUR Chicago, IL MDW Chicago, IL ORD Cleveland, OH CLE Dallas.

I booked it on-line and have already paid for it too. I just did the one way, because I figure there will be at least 5000 other people getting cabs back to the airport at the same time I am, so I'll just share one going back!!!

dannyzmom said:
Can any of you Chicago natives tell me what train line one would take from O'Hare to Palmer House?
You would take the Blue Line from O'Hare, get off at the Monroe stop, walk upstairs (you are underground at that point), then walk about two blocks east (towards the lake) to your hotel.

Last edited:
DebbieJ said:
You would take the Blue Line from O'Hare, get off at the Monroe stop, walk upstairs (you are underground at that point), then walk about two blocks east (towards the lake) to your hotel.

Is it worth doing this rather than a cab or shuttle?

Totally worth it if you don't have money to burn.

Addie4TLC said:
I agree. The can smell the fear in people. I look at people in the eye and give them the Dirty Harry stare down, it has worked for me all of these years living in Los Angeles. :)

Ok - I just scrolled abck up and read all the warnings about the trains and Addie's hilarious comments...and I have to say two things:
#1 - I rode the trains with DH and th ekids all week in DC last week and did fine. BUT...we were not lugging suitcases and I had DH with us. So, after reading Beth's info I am thinking we'll opt for a shuttle - we're traveling as a group of 3 consultants and can hopefully pick up a few more PC people along the way and catch a cheap fare.
and #2...Addie - are you with Wave 1? I certainly hope so because I love your sense of humor and wit and I can't wait to meet you in person!!!

Hispanic consultants are Wave 2.

Carolyn, I have taken the trains every year with no problems even when I was by myself. I know you won't have any problems, just get on take a seat and get off when you need to. People generally don't try to sit with someone they don't know and the Train starts at the airport so they know you're going to have luggage. If you were flying into the same airport as I am I would help you but, it's really easy.

Carolyn, What part of FLA are you from if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in North Miami and Loxahatchee then moved to Port St. Lucie before moving up to the Northwest to freeze my freckles off.

thebowman said:
Carolyn, What part of FLA are you from if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in North Miami and Loxahatchee then moved to Port St. Lucie before moving up to the Northwest to freeze my freckles off.

My MIL is in Fort Pierce! Finally--someone who knows where that is!!! LOL!

Yes!!! It has been so long since I was there and I do miss it alot! Fresh real orange juice and the warmth. AWWWWW

Too bad we are in different waves, I would love to talk, not many people know where Loxahatchee is let alone that it is a real name of a town. Usually they look at me like ????.

dannyzmom said:
and #2...Addie - are you with Wave 1? I certainly hope so because I love your sense of humor and wit and I can't wait to meet you in person!!!

Addie's a hoot! She found me at Leadership this year, and was sooooo friendly!

ok, so I have to ask....
I am getting into Ohare at 8:23 pm. Is it not wise to take the train? I will be alone as all my cluster mates are coming in early.
Is the shuttle to the airport from conference free? Or is that still a cost?

I am in Broward - I do shows up in Lox every now and again.

dannyzmom said:
Ok - I just scrolled abck up and read all the warnings about the trains and Addie's hilarious comments...and I have to say two things:
#1 - I rode the trains with DH and th ekids all week in DC last week and did fine. BUT...we were not lugging suitcases and I had DH with us. So, after reading Beth's info I am thinking we'll opt for a shuttle - we're traveling as a group of 3 consultants and can hopefully pick up a few more PC people along the way and catch a cheap fare.

Hey Carolyn I would love to meet you too, but I am wave 2. Maybe at Leadership! :)

As far as the train goes I will see what my team mate is most comfortable with and we'll go with that. I have taken a taxi and the shuttle in the past and I'm really going to try to travel lite. Especially with all the extra charges at the airport. I remember lugging around too much luggage on a train when we had Leadership in Texas and it wasn't fun. You have a point. We'll see... I want to try out my "Go ahead Punk.... Make my day..." and pull out the meat tenderizer (you know what side!) :)

chefann said:
Addie's a hoot! She found me at Leadership this year, and was sooooo friendly!

Awwww that was nice. Too bad I wont be able to see you either! :cry:

dannyzmom said:
I am in Broward - I do shows up in Lox every now and again.

Hope to see you at Conference!

OK, time for me to weigh in:). I'm originally a Boston girl, now officially a North Carolina "half-back" (from the north, went to FL, now I'm half-way back). I used to take the "T" all the time at all hours...I agree with keeping a "don't mess with me" look on your face. (like this :grumpy: or this :mad: but not like this :( or this :eek:--sorry, I'm getting carried away with the smilies!:p)

My flight arrives on the 9th at 9:30pm at O'Hare and since $$ is really tight, I'm springing for the Blue Line...anyone that wants to try to hook up with me to ride is welcome to PM me so we can exchange contact info...I'm at Palmer house (just so I can be near my buddy Carolyn!!! :love:).

thebowman said:
Too bad we are in different waves, I would love to talk, not many people know where Loxahatchee is let alone that it is a real name of a town. Usually they look at me like ????.

Loxahatchee! Isn't that in the West Palm Beach area? I lived in WPB when I was age 7 until age 12. We had family friends that lived in Loxahatchee before it was all built up. This was back in 1977-1982. Isn't that the same area where Lake Okaheelee (sp?) is? I was just browsing thru photos of me and my family swimming in there (when it was first developed. BUT, not too long after that the alligators (or crocs) invaded it.

Okay, sorry for the hijack!

There are about 5-7 of us in the group that I am traveling with. We will be taking a limo from the airport to the hotel (and same for the return). Last year, there were 3 limos reserved for our group, with 7 in each limo (a little tight, but not bad). It cost us about $11.00 each.

Last edited:
<h2>1. How do I get from the airport to my hotel in Chicago?</h2><p>There are several transportation options available such as taxis, rental cars, ride-sharing services, and public transportation. Depending on your budget and preference, you can choose the most convenient option for you.</p><h2>2. I am flying in by myself & wondering how everyone gets from the airport to the hotel.</h2><p>The most common method of transportation from the airport to the hotel is by taking a taxi or using ride-sharing services like Uber or Lyft. You can also check with your hotel if they offer shuttle services or if there is a nearby train or bus stop.</p><h2>3. Do you take a taxi?</h2><p>Taxis are a popular choice for transportation from the airport to the hotel. They are readily available at the airport and can take you directly to your hotel. However, they can be more expensive compared to other transportation options.</p><h2>4. I have always had someone there to pick me up when I've flown into Chicago.</h2><p>If you prefer to have someone pick you up from the airport, you can arrange for a car service or ask a friend or family member to meet you at the airport. Just make sure to communicate your arrival time and terminal to avoid confusion.</p><h2>5. I am coming into Midway & staying at either Hilton or Palmer house. The people I am staying with may change hotels.</h2><p>Both Hilton and Palmer House have convenient transportation options from Midway airport. You can take a taxi, use ride-sharing services, or take the train. If your hotel plans change, you can easily adjust your transportation method accordingly. </p>

1. How do I get from the airport to my hotel in Chicago?

There are several transportation options available such as taxis, rental cars, ride-sharing services, and public transportation. Depending on your budget and preference, you can choose the most convenient option for you.

2. I am flying in by myself & wondering how everyone gets from the airport to the hotel.

The most common method of transportation from the airport to the hotel is by taking a taxi or using ride-sharing services like Uber or Lyft. You can also check with your hotel if they offer shuttle services or if there is a nearby train or bus stop.

3. Do you take a taxi?

Taxis are a popular choice for transportation from the airport to the hotel. They are readily available at the airport and can take you directly to your hotel. However, they can be more expensive compared to other transportation options.

4. I have always had someone there to pick me up when I've flown into Chicago.

If you prefer to have someone pick you up from the airport, you can arrange for a car service or ask a friend or family member to meet you at the airport. Just make sure to communicate your arrival time and terminal to avoid confusion.

5. I am coming into Midway & staying at either Hilton or Palmer house. The people I am staying with may change hotels.

Both Hilton and Palmer House have convenient transportation options from Midway airport. You can take a taxi, use ride-sharing services, or take the train. If your hotel plans change, you can easily adjust your transportation method accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mspibb
Replies
Views
PampChefDeb
  • Tracie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom