• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Transporting the Ice Cream Maker

In summary, the conversation was about transporting an ice cream maker and how to keep the bowl cold during the process. The person had difficulty getting the ice cream to the right consistency and wondered if anyone had a solution for keeping the bowl cold while traveling. Suggestions were made, such as using a double-garbage bag system with ice and salt, and ensuring that the base is properly chilled. It was also mentioned that a regular freezer on a refrigerator may not be cold enough.
mspibb
Gold Member
Last night a friend of mine cooked an early birthday dinner for me and I took the ice cream maker. I waited to take it out of my deep freeze until we were leaving. It's about a 10 minute drive and we put it in her drawer freezer as soon as I got there. Put my ingredients in her fridge and didn't start the ice cream until after we ate. I have made ice cream a bunch of times but this batch never even got all the way to soft serve. Normally the outside of the bowl is frost covered through the process but last night it was not. The ambient temperature was probably cooler even than other times I've taken it somewhere.
Anybody have a good way to keep the bowl cold while transporting?

It would take some engineering to do - but a double-garbage bag system with ice and salt in the outer bag, nothing but your cold bowl in the inner bag. The ice melts the salt and the resulting water is actually below freezing, can't freeze b/c the salt changes the chemistry, water then freezes at something like 16 degrees. http://www.thekitchn.com/freezing-science-the-role-of-s-124357 FYIFrom my experience, be sure your base is chilled - overnight works best.

Well, base was the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla recipe and and it was refrigerated. I think part of the issue was host did not have deep freeze. I don't think a regular freezer on a refrigerator is cold enough!

I have travelled with mine as well. I do freeze mine in our refrigerator freezer overnight but when I travel with it I put it into a cooler bag with ice in the middle of the bowl & then I dump the ice when I get there & put it into the freezer as soon as I get to the host's house. Sometimes the trip can take up to 35 min. This has always worked in the past.

Hi there! First of all, happy early birthday! I'm sorry to hear that your ice cream didn't turn out as expected. It sounds like the change in temperature may have affected the freezing process. One suggestion I have is to wrap the bowl in a towel or blanket while transporting it, to help insulate it and keep it cold. You could also try putting the bowl in a cooler with some ice packs to keep it chilled. Another tip is to pre-chill the ingredients and the bowl before making the ice cream, as this can help speed up the freezing process. I hope these suggestions help and that your next batch of ice cream turns out perfectly! Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Happy cooking!

1. How do I transport the ice cream maker without it melting?

The best way to transport the ice cream maker is to keep it in its original box or a cooler with ice packs. This will ensure that the ice cream maker stays cold and does not melt during transportation.

2. Can I transport the ice cream maker in a hot car?

No, it is not recommended to transport the ice cream maker in a hot car as the high temperatures can cause the ice cream to melt quickly. It is best to keep the ice cream maker in a cool and shaded area during transportation.

3. How long can I transport the ice cream maker before it starts to melt?

This will depend on the temperature outside and how well the ice cream maker is insulated. It is best to transport the ice cream maker for no more than 30 minutes to ensure that it stays frozen and does not start to melt.

4. Can I transport the ice cream maker on its side?

No, it is not recommended to transport the ice cream maker on its side as this can cause the mixture to leak and create a mess. It is best to transport the ice cream maker upright to prevent any spills.

5. What should I do if the ice cream starts to melt during transportation?

If the ice cream starts to melt during transportation, you can place the ice cream maker in a cooler with ice packs to help it stay cold. It is also a good idea to transfer the ice cream to a freezer as soon as possible once you reach your destination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
abaker1
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kreaser
Replies