• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

toTip or Not to Tip the Fedex Guy?

In summary, my friend said that she watched Sam on General Hospital tip the FedEx guy! Is this normal tipping behavior and is my FedExer getting the shaft???:confused: I've never heard of that??? Since it was on tv, maybe there was some extra special favor :eek: Sure - the tip could be "please be extra gentle with my PC boxes because they are fragile" (I couldn't resist) What??? No, it's their job! Man, he would be so happy coming to my house then because hes here sometimes 2-3 times a week. A gift at Christmas time is appropriate but otherwise, no, not expected.

Do You Tip Your FedExer?

• Total voters
TwinGirlsMom
My friend said that she watched Sam on General Hospital tip the FedEx guy!
Is this normal tipping behavior and is my FedExer getting the shaft???:confused:

I've never heard of that??? Since it was on tv, maybe there was some extra special favor :eek:

Sure - the tip could be "please be extra gentle with my PC boxes because they are fragile" (I couldn't resist)

What??? No, it's their job! Man, he would be so happy coming to my house then because hes here sometimes 2-3 times a week.

A gift at Christmas time is appropriate but otherwise, no, not expected.

Me either...and he's never hung around with palms up. Ha!

i try to give him a bottle of water or a pop, and a catalogue LOL.....but only if its a nig shipment...hehe

BethCooks4U said:

My answer precisely!

At Christmas, he will get a tip.

If he's good looking, and helped me open my package...

i'll agree with that.

I rarely ever see mine - he drops those boxes and flies back out the driveway so fast.......I'd have to chase him down to tip him! (now that would be a sight!)

Mine just knocks and runs, so I never even see him... or her... I've never seen so I don't even know! And I'm home during the day.

TwinGirlsMom said:
Is this normal tipping behavior and is my FedExer getting the shaft???:confused:
But it's a soap opera. These are the same people who are married to their father's second wife and came back from the dead and then had a child at 13 that they never knew about show up 5 years later (they grow up so fast on the soaps!) and the their child marries their grandfather's second wife after their father divorced her cheating drunk butt....and that is just in the last month!!!:D

Did they then break for a commercial sponsored by Fed Ex? (It would be funny if they broke to a UPS commercial!!)

Beth once again comes up with the best tip for us! Besides, if we were supposed to tip them, my Fed Ex guy would be throwing my packages from his truck since I am never home to tip him!

Paige Dixon said:
If he's good looking, and helped me open my package...
Love it! My UPS guy was no looker, but when I have seen my Fed Ex guy...he is even less attractive than the UPS guy. Where are all of these hot delivery guys!!! Let's get some discrimination going on these job applications!!:p

Mine doesn't even knock usually. Literally, he runs to my door, drops it off on my porch, and runs back down my driveway! The first time that I was home (he usually delivers at 6:30pm or so) ..I met him at the door and he was still like off the porch as I was saying "thannnnnk you" .....it would be really funny if I ran after him to try and tip him! haha

Mine is hot and carries the boxes into my entryway so I don't have to move them all- he is so nice, but no tip! With the prices my customers pay for FedEx he gets a "thank you" but nothing more!

gilliandanielle said:
Mine is hot and carries the boxes into my entryway so I don't have to move them all- he is so nice, but no tip! With the prices my customers pay for FedEx he gets a "thank you" but nothing more!
Not fair! Gillian has a hot driver...the rest of us are suffering!:D

You know what they say about these Alaska guys!! :D! It is our tradeoff for freezing our @sses off! Alaska's seasons are Winter and July (also known as construction!)!!

Maybe the driver got tipped because he has to deal with all the body guards and obnoxious people that are always hanging around on soaps. ??? I haven't watched in years, it's just a thought.

I have no idea what my fedex driver looks like, he must be a sprint runner or something. I've never seen anyone move so fast. In my garage, drop the box, and run in less than 10 seconds. ???

Same here...by the time I see him he's back in the truck. I wave and sometimes he waves back. I have no idea what he looks like. I wouldn't even think to tip. No way! But I never tip! I don't tip when I get my hair done, at a hotel, pizza guy. Only for waiters or waitresses. That's it! My sister is a cosmetician. I see how she prices her stuff. $80 for getting your hair done. That inflation is tip enough!

TwinGirlsMom said:

My ex-DH always told me that stuff I saw on soaps was unrealistic...so based on his theory, I don't tip my FedEx guy. LOL

Chef Kearns said:
But I never tip! I don't tip when I get my hair done, at a hotel, pizza guy. Only for waiters or waitresses. That's it! My sister is a cosmetician. I see how she prices her stuff. $80 for getting your hair done. That inflation is tip enough!

Seriously??? I thought it was proper etiquette to tip one's hair stylist...am I off on this one too? Man, mine must love it when I come in for a blow out!

What is a blow out?

BethCooks4U said:
That's what I say! I gave a gift to our awesome UPS guy this past year! REally miss the man in brown!:( But FE seems to be doing a good job so far! So he will probably get a gift as well!

My Fed Ex guy is a woman :(.

But she's booking a June show!

gilliandanielle said:

He is nice because he knows you can't chase after his hot tush right now!!! Maybe I'll move to Alaska...I don't like the heat and humidity too much!! (It will be perfect when I move into hot flash mode in a couple years!!) And I thought is was just the Great Canadian Rockies that were the big scenic attraction up there!!!:D :D (Such a dirty ole lady I am!!):D

Wow, that is the most luxurious thing I've ever heard!
I would love that!

jenniferknapp said:
Mine doesn't even knock usually. Literally, he runs to my door, drops it off on my porch, and runs back down my driveway! The first time that I was home (he usually delivers at 6:30pm or so) ..I met him at the door and he was still like off the porch as I was saying "thannnnnk you" .....it would be really funny if I ran after him to try and tip him! haha
I think we have the same guy! Mine is usually talking on his cell phone too.

Paige Dixon said:
My Fed Ex guy is a woman :(.

But she's booking a June show!
I bet her shipment arrives in perfect condition and right on time too! :p

gilliandanielle said:
You know what they say about these Alaska guys!! :D! It is our tradeoff for freezing our @sses off! Alaska's seasons are Winter and July (also known as construction!)!!
Lucky! I wish my FEDEX guy was Hot, I'd welcome him into my front entry too! Mine doesn't even knock 1/2 the time!

Too bad I am married and preggo! He is always so nice! The last time he came I had 14 boxes and emptied his whole truck! I guess I would be nice too if I only had one delivery a day, LOL!

Chef Kearns said:
But I never tip! I don't tip when I get my hair done, at a hotel, pizza guy. Only for waiters or waitresses. That's it! My sister is a cosmetician. I see how she prices her stuff. $80 for getting your hair done. That inflation is tip enough!

Out of curiosity what does your sister think about tipping? I was just wondering because she is in the field. I'm thinking I may be overtipping then...I even tip our pet groomer.

I never see my driver either...they always leave the packages...knocks...then run away as fast as they can.

I tip hair people and pizza guys... I see both regularly and don't want them to have it out for me, LOL!

nikkijo said:
I never see my driver either...they always leave the packages...knocks...then run away as fast as they can.

Even if I wanted to tip it (don't know if it's a him or her) I NEVER see them. They don't even knock. The other day I was running late and I sprinted out the front door only to trip over the Fed Ex boxes that were left on my DOORMAT!!!!! I never saw them. They were to be delivered on tuesday, but they were there on monday. Hey I thought Fed Ex doesn't deliver on Monday!?!?!?!?!?

I never saw my brown-suited Santa but gave him a Zebb's Food & Flix for last Xmas. He took the time to send me a thank you note, apologetic because
he didn't send it until later Jan. (his Dad passed away). Once my DH was home when he dropped off my pkgs., and he asked my DH what he was doing home.:D He told my DH he was happy to have a PC lady to help secure his route out here in the country & then we switched to FedEx.:( FedEx is ok so far. One day DH was home & UPS came w/a pkg & a couple minutes later FedEx showed up w/PC. DH thinks something's up.:) Silly boy...I'm 58 in a couple weeks and just don't have that much of that kind of energy! ;) I asked if they were hotties and all I got was wa, wa wa, wa wa!:D :D :D

My FedExer does not knock either and that's what I love about 'the switch'.
My former UPSer always came by around nap time and *double* rang my doorbell! If I ever saw him stop in front of the house I would try to beat him to the door to keep his lead finger off my doorbell! ;)

I had 2 shows delivered on Thursday and was not happy to see the boxes sitting out in the open at the bottom of the steps. The used to be at least at the top of the steps. I am trying to figure out if I need to call Pampered Chef or FedEx because that isn't cool to just leave them out where others can easily see them.

Mine is old and he always bring my boxes right into my office up to my desk... I have them delivered to my work.. good thing I work for my family...... I dont' trust people steeling packages off my porch....

jasonmva said:
Sure - the tip could be "please be extra gentle with my PC boxes because they are fragile" (I couldn't resist)

Funny you say that I just talked to a UPS guy today, who just transfered up here from IL. He stopped me because of my PC coat. From what I heard sounds like that complaint should be taken up with the HO.

As far as tipping goes I have never tipped the fed ex guy or UPS.

Okay this is my 2 cents...
I would never tip the Fed EX or UPS guy b/c they make great money and they are just doing there job.

As for a cosmetologist, yes, I normally would tip them just for the fact that #1 they have to buy the product, and #2 they have to pay booth rent or a percentage of what they make to the salon owner. My mom is/has been a cosmetologist for 10 years+ and b/c of tips it helped to keep her head above water. The booth rent around this area is 1,000 plus a month. so even thought she charges you 80 for that hair color remember that she has to actually make money plus pay rent, plus buy the product.

As for the pizza guy, I treat them just like a waiter b/c they have to buy there gas to drive out to your home. If you don't tip them, how are they supposed to afford the gas to get to your home. They don't make that much hourly.

As for the waiters, yes, I always tip unless the service is extremely bad. they only make 2.13 an hour here.
Again, this is just my two cents....

I totally Agree Tiffany!

My mom also did hair and nails for over 10 years and they do not get paid a very good hourly wage. The tips are really what pay the bills.

As for wait people I do always tip too. But if they are terrible they will know it!

my director got her fed ex drivers wife to have a party.

thought that was creative...

gilliandanielle said:

What I've always heard about Alaskan men is that the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

I don't tip UPS or FedEX. My DH pointed out that in our area they typically make as much (if not more) per hour as he does, so he doesn't feel it's necessary.

BTW, I am an EXCELLENT tipper when it comes to hairdressers and waitpersons. I want to keep my hairdresser happy because she has my appearance in her hands. She works wonders and earns every cent. I spent a few summers waiting tables in the Jr. Leader tent at the 4-H fair. That was enough to let me know that waiting tables is 1) an incredibly demanding job and 2) not something I ever wanted to do for a living.

I don't tip UPS or FedEx. But I rarely do less than a 20% tip for other services - partly because I used to be in the service industry and still remember what it was like and partly because I can only figure in 10% increments.

It makes people I go out with crazy as I'm always adding to the tip if anyone but me left it - I find too many of my friends and family are stingy. Benefits I've gotten from this is staff recognizing me by the 3rd visit and I always get lots of extra attention and fantastic service.

At my favorite restaurant in MA it took 3 years after I moved before they stopped recognizing me. It was funny, I'd sit down and within 5 minutes my glass of wine and appetizer appeared on the table - before anyone else's order was even taken. :D The funny thing is that my friends would comment and grumble about it but none of them thought to do what I do (and I've told them what to do) - tip well, learn the name of my server when possible, and thank them for each thing they do, and always say goodbye on my way out and thank them one last time, oh and smile a lot.

I find the same thing, Tasha. I also have little thank you cards I leave with my tip. My theory is that you are always especially kind to people who are alone with your food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • Cookin' Mama
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • kaseydee
  • General Chat
Replies