• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Top Directors Leaving Pampered Chef

In summary, top directors in a cluster have left for another company. The new director structure is making some make new choices.
lockhartkitchen
I was shocked this week to find a top director in my cluster has left PC for another company. Totally unexpected. I then hear that other top directors have left as well. I found this on the web, "Welcome to Don Funt's Jewels by Park Lane". Shocking! The new director structure is making some make new choices.

Don Funt??? WTH??? That shocks me! Who else?? I haven't heard of anyone?

yeah! Talk about shock! I'd like to know who else, but I'm sure it's being hushed.

wow! so is Don Funt still selling PC.. doing both? Or is he just doing jewelry?

The way I found out, is my top director is on my facebook list. I saw her advertising parties with the other company. I'm thinking "We can't be consultants with another company, it's in our contracts." I asked my immediate director, and she told me her director's director was now it, because she had left for the other company. No details. I looked at the website for this other company, and yes, they have no "demotions" if not qualifying during a month. I personally, love Pc and cooking shows. I can't see myself doing makeup, candles, jewelry, etc. I've been approached by other companies, and yes I would be a great salesperson, but I don't want to be a salesperson, I want to share cooking with others and earn money while I do it.

I wondered about Don Funt...I noticed his website was no longer there. (I sometimes "troll" through the top-seller's sites to see what they are cooking, etc.)I can sort of understand though. My hospitality director is no longer a directory because of the new career plan, and she recently lost all of her career sales (6 yrs with company and over $300k in sales) -because she didn't submit in Oct-Nov due to high-demands at her work and such that had her traveling alot. She didn't get a notice or anything about it to let her know (like we used to before going inactive). She was so upset because she felt that after 6 yrs and that much in sales, that she'd be given more respect and treated better by the company...and that would make sense. Seemed rather petty for the company to take the career sales status. "Demotion" is a good word for it.

Don is not the only one to have left. I know of an ED who switched to Park Lane at the end of last year. She lost her ED status before the new career plan. Not sure if she was back to ED when she left PC. I heard Don was aggressively recruiting up and down his line. This other person was recruiting down her line as well. Evidently a new person is at the helm of Park Lane and is aggressively trying to expand the biz. About the time he was going to resign his directorship Don got caught poaching consultants from PC.

Under the old career plan, Directors and above could not sell for other companies but there was nothing preventing regular consultants from selling for more than one company. There was something in the Director Agreement about not taking your line with you when you left. I haven't paid attention to see if there have been any changes to this b/c I'm not interested in any other lines.

Whether or not there is something in the agreement about not taking your line with you, I think it is unethical....I've also heard that Park Lane is aggressively recruiting - I know some consultants both in PC and other direct sales that have been given the hard pitch and thought the people involved were quite rude.... :(

this was talked about on the director board...just wish him well. Work your OWN business as well as he did and you will be where he was. I wish him well, there's enough to go around.

I wasn't wishing him ill....I hope he is very successful as I'm sure he will be since he was so successful with PC.I was only commenting that I believe "poaching" is unethical and that I personally haven't seen nor heard very good things about Jewels by Park Lane's tactics in my area at least.

Wow, I had no idea, this makes me very sad! Don Funt was an amazing teacher, too!

This is CRAZY news to me! What does JBPL offer that's better than PC? I bid him well tho....I hope he finds a lot of success with that company.

who besides Don has left...not that is matters- but just real curious.

I love PC products and could not imagine selling something else

I had a park lane conusultant trying very hard to recruit me. I agree with someone above though, I don't want to sell anything else. This is what I love. They do however, have a sweet deal. But here is my quesiton about other companies that pay their consultants so high, then have really high host benefits... essentialy they are saying that there products only cost pennies to actually sell. I mean, that's great for the consultant and that's great for the host... but I like to KNOW there is quality to what I sell. Just my two cents (and kinda off topic, sorry)

I just can't imagine loving jewelry more than food. :D I still don't get how there are so many jewelry DS companies out there. I've seen the catalogs and just nothing really thrills me. And the catalogs I have seen don't list prices. It just isn't me, I guess. I would never attend a jewelry party. There's people out there like me, but then I guess there are other people who hate cooking but love fashion. I wish them the best, but it is a bit sad to see people who have been inspirational to others and have been great teachers leave what you thought they loved. Some people are great at selling, it just doesn't matter what the product is. Maybe they are bored with PC and want something new to be excited about, maybe they were promised the moon, who knows. But if they leave, taking consultants along w/ them so they will start up with lots of recruits and get paid huge from square one, that doesn't seem very fair. Poaching is not nice. My DH works in the Physical Therapy world and he had a manager get fired. The guy waited till the non-compete clause expired, then he called up people he was close to and made them very generous offers and they accepted. It really hurt my husband's business. It's hard finding replacement staff in his field. But there's nothing illegal about it, so you can't really complain too much or do anything about it. People are free to leave one job and accept another if they want to. I guess one bright note would be for other consultants in those areas will now have lots of customers in need of a new consultant. They just need to find them! :D

WOW! That is sad news! I remember when they announced the new program and a few of us were talking and said then that there were going to be problems for many people with the "slippery slope" director statuses of many of our top sellers and recruiters. I am sorry to hear that it is actually happening. As for the rules, remember that Tom Marston got "fired" after he was recruiting consultants on a bus during National conference a few years back for a linen company. With the uncertain status of your position, I could see where many directors lost their positions and felt it would be to hard to keep them up. I am thinking that we may loose more of our higher ups because of it. It will be interesting to see about people like Dave who too has been consistently up there. Not to mention Mary Jo, Yarial and a few others. I do know this, when the change was announced, I heard that many people were worried right off the bat because they felt it would harder for their down lines to maintain their statuses as well. This made recruiting so much more important than selling that they almost felt betrayed. It is funny what you hear when you do smoke out side a conference hotel. Especially when you a really good a ease dropping! Well, it will be interesting to see what happens. With HO loosing such great people, they may reconsider this new structure. You can't tell me Marla and Jean won't notice this happening.

pampered1224 said:
With HO loosing such great people, they may reconsider this new structure.

I wish this was true. I know people who have been hurt by the new structure and a few who have closed their (successful) businesses. I also know some top level directors who have complained (loudly). The response was "this is how it is now, get used to it."

OK, who else left? Inquiring minds want to know... LOL - PM me

I understand how it may be hurting some top level directors, but it is helping many people who were not promoting before... so really I think they are trying to get everyone motivated to recruit and be active regularly, though it may be difficult, it's part of the business. That is why I do not think things will change.

chefjeanine said:
I wish this was true. I know people who have been hurt by the new structure and a few who have closed their (successful) businesses. I also know some top level directors who have complained (loudly). The response was "this is how it is now, get used to it."

I don't think this situation (Don Funt) has anything to do with structure, etc. I don't gossip, but all I can say is read your Director agreement and FOLLOW it!! Work your business and have good ethics and you will have a profitable busniess!! Off to make phone calls, have a great day!:)

I look at it from both sides...

I gripe that WHY are you holding ME responsible for them not producing. I am still doing my part, WHY can;t I get paid??

The other side like the new requirement for directors and above. I was a director now not...BUT if I had the structure laid out as it is today that may have played a big part of my business, and I might still be a director.

Maybe I'm am a schizo :eek:

so who else left???- PM me

My SED sent an email explaining the Don Funt situation. Evidently he had asked to step down to TL status so he could do both. Then several directors and above called the HO and told them that he was trying to recruit them to come with him, so that's when he was released from his PC position.
That's the long and short of it.
I would like to know who else left also, because I am just nosey. :)

pampered1224 said:
It is funny what you hear when you do smoke out side a conference hotel. Especially when you a really good a ease dropping!

John, I like your style ;) It almost makes me want to take up smoking. Can your smoking get you to eaves drop on the Director board so we can hear what they were saying about all of this?

I Googled Park Lane. I looked at both their site and the site of someone who sells for them. Their site is poorly written. Bad grammar and poor style really grate on my nerves. It's just not too professional. The site of the rep who came up high in the Google search says that you can carry-over your highest direct selling status to Park Lane, even if you were not currently at that status. Their requirements are minimal selling OR recruiting. You don't have to do both.

Really, jewelry? To each their own. I'm having dinner with friends this weekend who went to a home show for clothing but won't do anything with PC.

chefcharity said:
But here is my quesiton about other companies that pay their consultants so high, then have really high host benefits... essentialy they are saying that there products only cost pennies to actually sell. I mean, that's great for the consultant and that's great for the host... but I like to KNOW there is quality to what I sell. Just my two cents (and kinda off topic, sorry)

I completely agree...and I always try to share this with hosts, customers, and consultants. PC offers a quality product at a value-price. The host benefits and our commission programs are designed to be fair....not support an out of proportion pyramid. PC is often considered to have the BEST business model in the direct sales industry.

My one gripe is the loss of career sales after two months of inactivity. Life happens and while it seems small potatoes to generate $150 in sales within a two month period, we never know the true tragedy or challenges in someone else's life. (That isn't sour grapes...I still have my career sales.)

babywings76 said:
I just can't imagine loving jewelry more than food. :D I still don't get how there are so many jewelry DS companies out there. I've seen the catalogs and just nothing really thrills me. And the catalogs I have seen don't list prices. It just isn't me, I guess. I would never attend a jewelry party. There's people out there like me, but then I guess there are other people who hate cooking but love fashion.

I wish them the best, but it is a bit sad to see people who have been inspirational to others and have been great teachers leave what you thought they loved.

Some people are great at selling, it just doesn't matter what the product is. Maybe they are bored with PC and want something new to be excited about, maybe they were promised the moon, who knows.

But if they leave, taking consultants along w/ them so they will start up with lots of recruits and get paid huge from square one, that doesn't seem very fair. Poaching is not nice. My DH works in the Physical Therapy world and he had a manager get fired. The guy waited till the non-compete clause expired, then he called up people he was close to and made them very generous offers and they accepted. It really hurt my husband's business. It's hard finding replacement staff in his field. But there's nothing illegal about it, so you can't really complain too much or do anything about it. People are free to leave one job and accept another if they want to.

I guess one bright note would be for other consultants in those areas will now have lots of customers in need of a new consultant. They just need to find them! :D

That is exactly what I think too!

I feel like PC is one of the few Direct Sellers that doesn't cater to a "niche" market. I was talking to a guest at a show the other night who used to sell Princess House, and she said the hardest part of selling was trying to find the right group, because not everyone wanted or could afford the product. Then another lady, who used to sell Longenberger (sp?) mentioned the same thing. They both commented on how, looking back, they wished they'd given PC a try, because it seemed like it was so much easier to sell - PLUS you could go to a party and not have to spend a fortune to get something nice that you'll really use.

And before everyone starts yelling at me to recruit them - I did give them both information w/ the new brochure highlighting the kit credit. :D

I can't imagine selling a different line.

legacypc46 said:
I completely agree...and I always try to share this with hosts, customers, and consultants. PC offers a quality product at a value-price. The host benefits and our commission programs are designed to be fair....not support an out of proportion pyramid. PC is often considered to have the BEST business model in the direct sales industry.

My one gripe is the loss of career sales after two months of inactivity. Life happens and while it seems small potatoes to generate $150 in sales within a two month period, we never know the true tragedy or challenges in someone else's life. (That isn't sour grapes...I still have my career sales.)

I have to agree on this especially!!! When I had my hysterectomy in May after 3 years and over 150,000 in career sales, I was told to keep my sales by doing catty shows... I had a long, hard and frustrating surgery, 5 kids and 2 houses to keep up with... did I need to worry about 150 in sales in the middle of the summer? So, there are my sour grapes...I just wanted a 6 month or so medical leave.. no worries, I am over it now...LOL

ChefBeckyD said:
That is exactly what I think too!

I feel like PC is one of the few Direct Sellers that doesn't cater to a "niche" market. I was talking to a guest at a show the other night who used to sell Princess House, and she said the hardest part of selling was trying to find the right group, because not everyone wanted or could afford the product. Then another lady, who used to sell Longenberger (sp?) mentioned the same thing. They both commented on how, looking back, they wished they'd given PC a try, because it seemed like it was so much easier to sell - PLUS you could go to a party and not have to spend a fortune to get something nice that you'll really use.

And before everyone starts yelling at me to recruit them - I did give them both information w/ the new brochure highlighting the kit credit. :D

I can't imagine selling a different line.

I totally agree with you! My aunt sells jewelry and tried to get me to sign up with her before I started PC. While I thought it sounded like a great opportunity, it just wasn't for me! She even told me as recent as last November that if I ever decide to quit selling PC she would love to have me on her team. I wear more jewelry now than I did before but I still couln't see myself doing it.

As far as her product line, their consultants make 50% of their sales while the 3 uplines make 10% of their downlines sales. Most of the time a host can get any where between 30-50% free jewelry. Makes it seem awesome until you realize how cheap their jewerly must be! Plus all the other stuff that they have to do: pay for cc charges, pay a yearly fee, etc!

I sold jewelry before PC and a fellow consultant sold PC before jewelry. We didn't have to pay a yearly fee or cc charges, our commission was higher and our discount was out of this world. The host benefits, on paper at least, were also much better. But it's all about the market. So what if my commission was 10 percent higher? 10 percent of nothing is still nothing.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I sold jewelry before PC and a fellow consultant sold PC before jewelry. We didn't have to pay a yearly fee or cc charges, our commission was higher and our discount was out of this world. The host benefits, on paper at least, were also much better. But it's all about the market. So what if my commission was 10 percent higher? 10 percent of nothing is still nothing.

I think it depends on the company ( obviously.)
I have a good friend who just signed with Premier. The commission is higher, but they also have to pay a yearly fee of almost $400.00 to stay active. It's a trade off I think.
I love to cook. I love our products. My uncle actually called me because his neighbor is something like number 2 in company sales for Arbonne and she was looking for recruits.. indirectly I guess. He thought of me. I said thanks but no thanks. I am not the makeup lady. I am the cooking lady. :)
I think it also goes back to our strengths.

I sold make-up and vitamins and household cleaning products with a high-pressure company. I loved the make-up part, but hated the rest and the high pressure. It took me a LONG time (5 years!) to commit to being a PC consultant. I did it because PC sells itself and I get to have fun! When I counsel potential recruits who are also considering another DS company, I tell them to look at all of things we are talking about. They usually choose PC!

Another PC consultant and I were just talking about the new career plan yesterday.
I have a difficult time with losing the career sales.
My friend said, "The company is weeding out those who want to work and grow from among the ones who do not."
I am surprised the hear this about Don Funt and I wish him well in whatever he wishes to do.

Wow, is all I can say! Just like the WOW from the shock of Tom! :(

PamperedDor said:
I have to agree on this especially!!! When I had my hysterectomy in May after 3 years and over 150,000 in career sales, I was told to keep my sales by doing catty shows... I had a long, hard and frustrating surgery, 5 kids and 2 houses to keep up with... did I need to worry about 150 in sales in the middle of the summer? So, there are my sour grapes...I just wanted a 6 month or so medical leave.. no worries, I am over it now...LOL

Agree that the loss of career sales stinks! I had 2 recruits that
"qualified" and would have given me level 3 instead of level 2--Mind you I had over 73,000 pts myself w/out their recruiting pts. Ended up with level 2 b/c the 2 last recruits went without sales Oct/Nov. and turned in sales in Dec. to bring them both to 1250. Bright side--hopefull they qualify in 2010 toward this yrs trip.

beckyjsmith said:
I think it depends on the company ( obviously.)
I have a good friend who just signed with Premier. The commission is higher, but they also have to pay a yearly fee of almost $400.00 to stay active. It's a trade off I think.
I love to cook. I love our products. My uncle actually called me because his neighbor is something like number 2 in company sales for Arbonne and she was looking for recruits.. indirectly I guess. He thought of me. I said thanks but no thanks. I am not the makeup lady. I am the cooking lady. :)
I think it also goes back to our strengths.

And their start-up cost is Astronomical!

Plus, don't they have to pay a jewelers fee, or tax, or something like that? OR is that the $400 you mentioned?

ChefBeckyD said:
And their start-up cost is Astronomical!

Plus, don't they have to pay a jewelers fee, or tax, or something like that? OR is that the $400 you mentioned?

The $400.00 is the jeweler's fee. The kit is something like $800.00 IN ADDITION to that. Ay yi yi. That has to be discouraging to a lot of potential consultants. It certainly would be to me.

Premier actually has a line of credit that you can open to start their business! You can get the cheap kit around $800 or the higher kit is over $1000. Plus the jeweler's fee. Also when you host a show you have to pay full price tax on all you free and half price stuff so you still have to pay out of your pocket.

wadesgirl said:
Premier actually has a line of credit that you can open to start their business! You can get the cheap kit around $800 or the higher kit is over $1000. Plus the jeweler's fee. Also when you host a show you have to pay full price tax on all you free and half price stuff so you still have to pay out of your pocket.

Princess House works the same way in that you have to pay tax on your free and half price stuff. I have a good friend who sells it and I usually have a show every other year. I always forget that part and am taken aback each time... :)

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
Princess House works the same way in that you have to pay tax on your free and half price stuff. I have a good friend who sells it and I usually have a show every other year. I always forget that part and am taken aback each time... :)

I was just looking at the Princess House Website...I really don't like websites that list products with no prices. :thumbdown:

But what I was really amazed at was how they are trying to mimic PC - even to the point of using "Your Life Your Way" on their heading of their site!:eek:

Oh, I know! It about floored me when they did that!And I completely agree about the no prices - it's very hard to get outside orders or the like when people don't know how much anything is. They've also recently started a bridal registry.... :)I love my friend who sells but I always have to bite my tongue when I'm at a show of hers and she talks about their knives (very inferior to ours IMO) and the cookware. While the cookware isn't bad, I think ours is better, of course! Oh, AND they recently came out with nonstick cookware, too.....

I have seen this happen (Executive leave) other times as well. A few years ago on an incentive trip someone was trying to recruit for another company- yikes and PC paid for the trip.
Yes, we do have the no compete clause and should honor that. The new career plan is just that NEW. So there has been a lot of adjustment for everyone, some good and some maybe not so good. But that is what happens in life.
I agree with chef jeanine work your business and it will work for you!! We all have ups and downs! I wish everyone much success!!

OK. Now that I heard what was said about Don I think it may be more a matter of greed rather than the "down-line" structural thing. I do know that when one has a lot of $$$, they seem to want more! Oh well, maybe it was time for him to go. I know when I do the same thing too much I get bored and want a new challenge. But geez, I don't think I would throw it all away that easily. Who knows? None of us will ever find out what really was his motivation. We have all seen it out here. One minute we are all PC YEAH!, YEAH!, YEAH! and then well, "I am giving up my apron." shows up on a thread by the same person a month later. That's the thing about free will. He was fun and really knowledgeable when I saw his presentation one year at NC and he really seemed to be very PC minded. I think that was 2008. I too recognized that the new set up IS a great motivator for regular consultants. Making that one recruit level something that could make our "profit" better was a good thing. Plus you have to remember the "ease dropping" was done right after the new program was announced so know one quite knew what to expect. No, I have not heard about anyone else but I too would be curious to know if any of them are having issues. My up line top director seems to be holding her position so... I would think though that at that level, with having so many people under you that the flux of active and non-active could make or break you. So I would wonder then if their stress levels are high enough to cause one to just decide "Nope, ain't doing it. I want something easier". But then again, I think it would be normal to have to worry about that flux even with the other program. Well, I am working my business from a different perspective since my last post on my Incentive thread convinced me that my own fear is holding me hostage. I personally like the idea that the "consistency" message is certainly being resounded here. If we keep recruiting, we keep replacing so we should be able to maintain our status. That's a simple message with a simple result. Oh well. I hate to see him go but then again, best of luck to him.

Hey John - I think he heard you were stepping it up and the competition scared him!!! LOL :chef:

I used to be in Home INteriors but I got out when I heard they were going bankrupt. My Unit Director and some others were approached by some head person at park lane and they offered her the same level, free conference (travel included) that year for 'trying' it out, and a TON of product if she would come on over to them. So she did. Almost like they heard was happening and jumped at the chance to get those directors. That kind of stuff makes me not want anything to do with the company. It's sneaky, IMO. And I don't think it's fair to just bring someone over in a higher level when everyone else has to work at it. I don't know . I just don't like it.

pamperedlinda said:
Hey John - I think he heard you were stepping it up and the competition scared him!!! LOL :chef:

Haha!:love::thumbup:

Take one look at the prices of the jewelry that Park Lane has...for costume jewelry. Then you'll know why the host and consultant benefits are so lucrative. They offer higher percentages to their consultants for sales/recruits etc but it all comes at a cost...that is passed along to the customer. In today's economy, I personally could not sell a pair of earrings to someone that were over $100 for costume...I'd rather by gold/sterling or even small diamonds for that price. I would feel guilty pushing such luxury's on people...but to each their own. Not dissin' Don or anyone else that goes down the Jewelry route. I'm thrilled I got the chance to meet & spend time with him. I wish him and others nothing but the best. I'll be sticking to food choppers. I don't know the "old" plan so I don't know what's wrong with the new one but I don't yet see how its not attainable. Maybe when I am a higher exec then I will think differently.

pamperedlinda said:

GREAT comment Linda!

You said that really well Linda I agree ,

Try to look at it this way, Life is like a highway, lots of speed,turns,and unexpected objects...Sometimes we head down the highway and enjoy the ride, other times its bumpy, then there comes a time that its time to get off at the exit and continue on another path...those who follow make their own choices and decisions... their highway only awaits them, possibly with traffic or maybe not... :) (oh ya, thats a Dor...)

Dor
I agree with you about the 2 month inactivity..takes some creative planning when things like this take place. I had a total hip replacement back in 03...then in 07 had a hysterectomy. Fortunately I worked it out to not take any time off...had to really use the "sympathy" tactic to make sure I had catty shows going. I too, have 5 kids and it was a challenge!!! Moms don't get time off! LOL
Good thing was, that I had a little time to plan for the surgeries! Now, we are dealing with a new consultant of mine (she just started in Oct) had a house fire Dec 17th and lost everything...they weren't injured but they lost their 2 dogs...She doesn't get any type of grace period to try and get her business back up and running...She also has to re-purchase her kit in hopes that her insurance will eventually cover it. And not to mention all the other products she lost in the fire..including customers orders right before christmas...she had to re-buy them for them from PC and hope she can get those covered too. Talk about stressful...this was an unplanned event!! She is still plugging away...So God Bless her!

That's way to funny Linda! Well maybe it would be true if I could this old rear end moving faster! But hey, at this point, um I guess anything is possible! And NO I WILL NOT say, yeah right! Hey I have just as much a shot at it as anyone else. Thanks to Carolyn anyway, I am throwing "Yeah Right" out of my vocabulary! Should I be taking that as a vote of confidence Linda? Or are you just messing with my mind? Because if you are, just remember it is old and ain't working so good!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies
Views
finley1991