• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Efficient Tool Cleanup Tips for Newbies | Say Goodbye to Messy Tools!

bring a container to put them in so they don't clutter up the sink. Same here. Last thing I want to do when I get home from a party is wash dishes. I like knowing that my kit is packed and ready to go for the next show. All I have to do is refill paperwork, and wash towels/apron.
Dotty
Gold Member
My director brings an empty trash bag with a liner to use to store all her used/dirty tools so she can take them home to was after the party. What do you guys do? Do you have any other tips like that for a newbie?

Thanks

I wash my dishes at the host's house! I would never get them done if I took them home. That way my car is packed at all times.

wadesgirl said:
I wash my dishes at the host's house! I would never get them done if I took them home. That way my car is packed at all times.

Same here. Last thing I want to do when I get home from a party is wash dishes. I like knowing that my kit is packed and ready to go for the next show. All I have to do is refill paperwork, and wash towels/apron.

PLUS - the host or guests usually end up in the kitchen helping with the dishes, and I have some of my best recruiting/booking conversation while we are all working together after the show!

i used to do dishes at the host's house until i had an express show at my pediatrician's office. i spent almost an 1 1/2 hrs washing everything in a tiny sink. the one girl who was interested in joining must have thought "omg, i don't want to do this!?!" they kept walking by the break room saying "you're STILL here?!?!" after that i started bringing trash bags just in case. sometimes the host will start washing and i'll finish & other times i'll just load them up & take them home for my hubby to wash. (hee hee - i'm lucky that way)

I bring a blue dish bin and put my dirty dishes in it and take them home to wash them....well, let me qualify that statement....my DH washes ALL my dishes when I return home after a show. He is so supportive of my business AND he gets a paycheck too!

Most times my hosts start washing up the dishes, if not I do. I have only taken them home once--but I have no motivation to clean them once I get home. If the host doesn't offer next show, I'm going to say "the first person who wants to wash my dishes gets free shipping" -- I got this hint at a regional PC meeting. It would be soooo worth it to me.

I like to wash them at the host's home, but I've gotten out of the habit of doing that lately because I need to get home to my 5 mo nursling. Instead, I use my old red crate and just put them all in there dirty. I can wash the crate when I get home.I am going to start offering a gift to the people that wash my dishes at the show cuz I'm really sick of doing them at home. LOL. I have a bunch of old SBRC so that's what I'll use or offer free shipping like the PP mentioned.

kristina16marie said:
i used to do dishes at the host's house until i had an express show at my pediatrician's office. i spent almost an 1 1/2 hrs washing everything in a tiny sink. the one girl who was interested in joining must have thought "omg, i don't want to do this!?!" they kept walking by the break room saying "you're STILL here?!?!" after that i started bringing trash bags just in case. sometimes the host will start washing and i'll finish & other times i'll just load them up & take them home for my hubby to wash. (hee hee - i'm lucky that way)

In that situation, I would have just taken them all home.

I have a blue (my dh says its purple, calls it "the purple thing"), and put all the dirty dishes in it. Big things--stones, big bowls, pans, I wash at the host's home because otherwise the tote is too heavy. When I get home it all goes in the dw. Works best for me. After I unload the dw the next morning I frequently leave the clean ones in there till the next show,. There might be an easier way but 10 years in the business, old dog= no new tricks, LOL

I used to stay and wash mine, but sometimes the host sink is full with her stuff.

Now, I just rinse them (can't stand crusty dishes) and pop them in the dw when home. I can get them done quicker in my own kitchen + I'm at least at home spending time with my family while I'm getting them done.

If you are going to wash them at the host house, I recommend purchasing one of those brushes that holds the dish soap. Don't rely on the host to have it b/c I had several that didn't!

DebbieJ said:
In that situation, I would have just taken them all home.

yes, that was one of my first shows and it never occurred to me. oh well. live & learn.... =)

I take them home and DH loads the dishwasher and handwashes the few things he can't put in there. I have the older red crate, so I'm not worried about getting it dirty. I try to put dirty utensils in one bowl so that they don't get the unused things dirty.

I used to wash them at the Hosts' house, but I always felt I was there too late. After figuring peoples orders, etc. it was late by the time I left. I started bringing a rubbermaid tote with and now I just throw them all in there and bring them home. It makes cleaning up and getting out of my hosts home a lot quicker and easier for me. It makes packing up easier too because I don't have to try to fit everything back in my tote perfectly either. When I use the round stone or the bar pan, I either wash them there or carry them out seperately since they don't fit in the tote.

Michael Reeves said at Spring Launch that he asks his host to rinse his dishes. When he arrives and the host asks if there's anything she can do to help, he asks that when they're done with the demo and he is taking orders, if she could help by washing up the products and packing them up for him.

I haven't gotten to a point that I'd be comfortable asking this, although if I was doing two shows a day, I might.

NooraK said:
I take them home and DH loads the dishwasher and handwashes the few things he can't put in there. I have the older red crate, so I'm not worried about getting it dirty. I try to put dirty utensils in one bowl so that they don't get the unused things dirty.

That's what I do too.

esavvymom said:
That's what I do too.

I tell him that's his way of earning his ticket on the trip :) I also tell my guests I have a dishwasher at home, and his name is Dave :D It's a great segue to talk about the incentive trips.

I do not wash the "dirties" at the host's home because that is part of having a shorter show. I don't mind washing them at home or putting them in the dishwasher.

I have had hosts wash my things without my knowledge and I give them high praise when they do so. I always "leave" something behind for them if they do that. They'll call and say, "You left .......... at my home." I'll just say it is an extra bonus for being one of my best hosts.

After doing the demo and before doing the FSCO, I pack up dirty dishes in a rubbermaid tote to take home. I let the guests know I am just going to clean up a little bit and then I will be ready to help them with their orders. I make a little joke out of it, "having your friends over is easy with me as your consultant; I take my dirty dishes away with me".

I think it's great for those of you who have success with booking/ recruiting while doing the dishes. For me, I would find it uncomfortable to do my dishes in my host's home. However, if it works, don't change it:)

With my dirty dishes in my rubbermaid tote, my big black consultant's bag can hold anything that did not come into contact with food or someone's hands. And, I can put my briefcase & paperwork tote in it too, so I am making only 2 trips out to my car when I am done. I can give the hosts back their house a little earlier and I get home to my family.

My question for those of you who leave your crates/consultant kit packed....do you have duplicates and therefore do not need those items back in your kitchen? I unpack my product kit after every show and "re-stock" my kitchen. I do 2-3 shows a week, so it is a bit of work, but after a year, I am getting fairly quick at packing products for a show. I take what I need for the recipe, plus cookbooks, some spices & lots of tools. But, I still need those things in my kitchen after the show, so I don't leave my product kit packed. How do those of you who leave your products packed work around this?

My paperwork remains packed from show to show and I just replenish what I need from my "stash". I do prep work at the beginning of each month for what I have scheduled and then it is done and I don't have to worry about it.

LOVE the idea of "Hubby's ticket to the incentive trip" idea!! DH used to do the dishes in my "dirty dish bin" when I first started last year, but has gotten out of the habit in the recent months.

debbie mc said:
After doing the demo and before doing the FSCO, I pack up dirty dishes in a rubbermaid tote to take home. I let the guests know I am just going to clean up a little bit and then I will be ready to help them with their orders. I make a little joke out of it, "having your friends over is easy with me as your consultant; I take my dirty dishes away with me".

I think it's great for those of you who have success with booking/ recruiting while doing the dishes. For me, I would find it uncomfortable to do my dishes in my host's home. However, if it works, don't change it:)

With my dirty dishes in my rubbermaid tote, my big black consultant's bag can hold anything that did not come into contact with food or someone's hands. And, I can put my briefcase & paperwork tote in it too, so I am making only 2 trips out to my car when I am done. I can give the hosts back their house a little earlier and I get home to my family.

My question for those of you who leave your crates/consultant kit packed....do you have duplicates and therefore do not need those items back in your kitchen? I unpack my product kit after every show and "re-stock" my kitchen. I do 2-3 shows a week, so it is a bit of work, but after a year, I am getting fairly quick at packing products for a show. I take what I need for the recipe, plus cookbooks, some spices & lots of tools. But, I still need those things in my kitchen after the show, so I don't leave my product kit packed. How do those of you who leave your products packed work around this?

My paperwork remains packed from show to show and I just replenish what I need from my "stash". I do prep work at the beginning of each month for what I have scheduled and then it is done and I don't have to worry about it.

LOVE the idea of "Hubby's ticket to the incentive trip" idea!! DH used to do the dishes in my "dirty dish bin" when I first started last year, but has gotten out of the habit in the recent months.

Over the years I have managed to have duplicates of a lot of products, that is how my car stays packed at all times. I provide the same list of recipes for an entire season, this also helps because I don't have to change it out every month. It does work nice especially when you have more than one or two shows a week.

debbie mc said:

I took home dirty dishes for 5 years! Washing up at the hosts home is a relatively new part for me - and I've loved it! At the close of the show, I say:

"I am going to start clearing things away and washing up. I will be available for any questions, or if you'd like to help...I'd love to chat with you while we wash and dry! Please help yourselves to something to eat, and when you are ready for me to help you with your order - just let me know! I am all set up to help you...if several of you are ready at the same time, I'll just put your order forms in a pile, and help you in the order that they were received - thanks so much for being so much fun tonight! I've really enjoyed my time with you this evening!"

And yes - I have duplicates of just about everything now. Especially with all of the product updates that have been done recently. I just use the discontinued version of everything in my kitchen, and keep the most current version packed in my kit. SO excited that the QSP's were redesigned this season! Many times I've needed a QSP, and mine were in the fridge, or in the dishwasher, etc...Now - one more thing I don't have to take from my kitchen for a show!
For other things - when I host my own shows, I always think of what I'd like to have a duplicate of, so I don't have to take from my kitchen....and I'll get it with my FPV. That doesn't happen much anymore though, because I have just about everything now - and earn the new products!

I use a rolling crate from walmart, I usually have a few extra thongs that will not fit so I bring them in a PC shopping bag and make sure I bring 2-3 plastic grocery bags. After I unpack everything at the show I put the PC grocery bag lined with 2 plastic bags into my ctate with one set of handles over the extending handle of the crate. I keep this by me if I can and put my dirties in there. After the show I take the PC bag out of my crate and put in all the clean tools. It works good for me. I keep my paperwork in a briefcase. I make no more than 2 trips into the hosts home (unless I need my table).I do rinse my DCB well If I am using it but just bag it and back in the padded envelope it goes. If I am using a large stone or 12" skillet I make sure I have a plastic bag for it or have the host quickly wash it for me. Shows them the easy clean up of a big item.

I like to use my old red crate and one of the big tote bags. During the show I place all dirty products in the crate and all clean products go back in the tote.
When I get home everything that can go in the dw goes there and the rest get washed by DS or DH. Since they like that I get home early from my shows they do not mind helping and we get the spend time together also.

lovescooking said:
I like to use my old red crate and one of the big tote bags. During the show I place all dirty products in the crate and all clean products go back in the tote.
When I get home everything that can go in the dw goes there and the rest get washed by DS or DH. Since they like that I get home early from my shows they do not mind helping and we get the spend time together also.

Interesting. My shows are at 7pm, and I'm usually home between 9:30 & 10pm. DS has been in bed for at least an hour when I get home, and DH goes to bed at 10. I'm usually all alone when I get home from a show - and I always HATED having to wash dishes late at night, by myself. That's one of the reasons why I love doing them at the hosts house!:D

(and honestly - I never got home any earlier when I didn't wash the dishes.)

When I first started I used to big a big rubbermaid plastic tote that all my dirties went in. I then took them home to wash them. Unfortunately I used to forget that I had the tote in the back of my car as I was really tired and then I might remember a day or two later. Oh Man! Had to hose the entire thing out outside as it usually stunk of garlic and such! YUCK!

Now, I wash at the host's homes. Usually I start on that after I give ordering instructions, prize drawings, bookings slide, etc. While they are busy with their thing I tell them that I will be tidying up a bit and if they would like to place an order simply place it facedown next to my computer and go and mingle and get something to eat. This way they don't have to be waiting in line and I can call them over to talk to them about opp, bookings, etc. get their payment and have more personalized time with each customer. I usually get about 1/2 of my dishes done or so before they start putting orders down. A lot of times my hosts will automatically do them (LOVE THAT!) without me realizing. The time for washing at the host's home really doesn't add anything to my show time and I LOVE having everything ready for my next show. After 11 years this is now the easiest for me! :)

smspamperedchef said:
When I first started I used to big a big rubbermaid plastic tote that all my dirties went in. I then took them home to wash them. Unfortunately I used to forget that I had the tote in the back of my car as I was really tired and then I might remember a day or two later. Oh Man! Had to hose the entire thing out outside as it usually stunk of garlic and such! YUCK!

Now, I wash at the host's homes. Usually I start on that after I give ordering instructions, prize drawings, bookings slide, etc. While they are busy with their thing I tell them that I will be tidying up a bit and if they would like to place an order simply place it facedown next to my computer and go and mingle and get something to eat. This way they don't have to be waiting in line and I can call them over to talk to them about opp, bookings, etc. get their payment and have more personalized time with each customer. I usually get about 1/2 of my dishes done or so before they start putting orders down. A lot of times my hosts will automatically do them (LOVE THAT!) without me realizing. The time for washing at the host's home really doesn't add anything to my show time and I LOVE having everything ready for my next show. After 11 years this is now the easiest for me! :)

Been there, done that - more than once!

Sounds like we handle clean up/check out exactly the same way!:)

Since everyone is in bed here when I get home I ask before I leave for them to make sure the DW is emptied. I usually load everything up in the AM as I am too tired at night, I have a small house and do not want to wake everyone. It has been working well for me.

I do mine at home. I used to get help but after a guest almost removed a finger on a knife and had to have stitches, no way! I can just imagine what PC would do if confronted with a medical bill for 7 stitches! NO WAY! I take them home. Not to mention, I really, really, really sometimes need to get the heck out of there as soon as possible. SO I use a reusable, washable bag that reads Pampered Chef on it to my dirty dishes home. Plus part of what I say to get people to book is that I will be in and out quickly! I certainly do not want a host sitting until 11 at night while I do MY dishes! That to me is just plain rude to my hosts.

pampered1224 said:
I do mine at home. I used to get help but after a guest almost removed a finger on a knife and had to have stitches, no way! I can just imagine what PC would do if confronted with a medical bill for 7 stitches! NO WAY! I take them home. Not to mention, I really, really, really sometimes need to get the heck out of there as soon as possible. SO I use a reusable, washable bag that reads Pampered Chef on it to my dirty dishes home. Plus part of what I say to get people to book is that I will be in and out quickly! I certainly do not want a host sitting until 11 at night while I do MY dishes! That to me is just plain rude to my hosts.

That's why you pay $2 a month for liability insurance.

pampered1224 said:

I've never been doing dishes at 11 at night at a host's home. 9:30 maybe, but never 11pm.:yuck:

Start the show @ 7pm....done with demo by 8pm (8:15 if we start late)....start cleaning up, take orders, chat with guests, wash dishes...almost always packed up and ready to leave by 9:30...the only time I'm not is if people are still wanting to chat. But I leave with my dishes done, and all of the orders in my computer - so when I go home, I'm done working for the night!:thumbup:

Mine vary; sometimes while I am talking to the guests and taking orders the host washes the dishes for me (never ask, they just do it) if it's not done, I take them home and my DH does them for me :) I take a large Steralite tote with me to put the dirty dishes in. This way it's washable too. I prefer to take them home because at least then I know how clean they will be where if the host does it I feel I have to "review" each piece and some times they need a second washing LOL

I wish I could do that Becky. I always get so interrupted and such that it just does not work for me. And yes, I understand the insurance thing, I just could not live with myself if someone really got hurt again. So...

pampered1224 said:

I totally agree with you John! I would never ask my host to wash my dishes. Plus, whether it takes longer or not, guests are going to be seeing you hang out longer at the house just to wash dishes. During the demo, I have the old red crate by my demo table (lined with a garbage bag) and I just throw my dirties in there. I use that as a booking tool and say something like, "See! I even do my dishes at home so I'm in and out very quickly!" I have had shows where the host said her last consulant washed the dishes at her house and the consultant was there quite late and frankly overstayed her welcome. When I do new consultant training, I tell them NEVER do your dishes at the host's house. And if you do your dishes at the host's house, are you using their soap and towels?

I take them home in a tub that I bring just for that purpose (it's also one of the things I use to transport stuff into the party).

I'm a little OCD about my stuff and how it gets cleaned so I don't like it when someone else washes my tools . Plus, I'm slow, slow, slow. By the time I get done with everyone's orders, I just want to head home.

Kelly8 said:
I totally agree with you John! I would never ask my host to wash my dishes. Plus, whether it takes longer or not, guests are going to be seeing you hang out longer at the house just to wash dishes. During the demo, I have the old red crate by my demo table (lined with a garbage bag) and I just throw my dirties in there. I use that as a booking tool and say something like, "See! I even do my dishes at home so I'm in and out very quickly!" I have had shows where the host said her last consulant washed the dishes at her house and the consultant was there quite late and frankly overstayed her welcome. When I do new consultant training, I tell them NEVER do your dishes at the host's house. And if you do your dishes at the host's house, are you using their soap and towels?

I bring my own. I bring a stash of Microfiber towels, and a microfiber dishcloth, and a little sample bottle of soap...I've even sold towels as add-on's to people orders when they see how well they dry the dishes!:D

Maybe if you've developed a relationship with the host, and she sees you as a friend, and not just the consultant, there isn't the same feeling about overstaying your welcome while washing the dishes? The time washing dishes is a FUN time at the close of my shows!
I tell my new consultants it's up to them how they do it. Some do and some don't. It's their business...I let them handle it the way that works best for them.

Again, I took my dishes home for several years, and have had nothing but a positive experience since switching to doing my dishes at the host's home. I think it just all depends on how you approach it, and probably has a lot to do with individual personalities. We're all different, and just like most everything else in this business, there's more than one way to do it!

Wow, what a great thread! Thanks for all your comments. I'm going to bring a rubbermaid tub with me but I'll play it by ear. I like the idea of keeping my kit ready to go as soon as the party is over. Less work later..

My director also mentioned that she puts her dirty stuff right into her can as she works and she's never lost anything that way.

yes, I use the p chef reusable tote lined with a paper bag in a plastic bag. as I use each product, I put it in the bag. At the host's house, I rinse my large bar pan and deep covered baker and cutting board. but the rest I wash at home.I actually had a host call me the other day to ask where I wash my dishes. she said that a friend of hers said that when she hosted, the consultant was there until all hours washing (?) so she wanted to make sure that I don't do this.

I remember one time thinking that I'd bring a tub and just bring home my dishes. But when I was done with the recipe I felt so awkward not having something to do. I didn't want to put stuff away because people were still eating and browsing. If I was going to rinse stuff, I might as well just add some soap and get them washed real quick. I like having something to do, like washing dishes, which gives me an excuse to step slightly away from the area to look like I'm busy and not hovering over them. At least that's how I feel like I would be if I didn't do my dishes. I always bring a sponge, soap, and some towels. But there have been times I forgot, or the host offered hers. But now I'm going to really make a point to get mine out all the time so that they don't feel put upon.Reading through all these comments has made me a little self conscious though that maybe I should tweak my packing up skills. It does seem to take me a while to dry everything and then re-pack it all up. I do have great conversations with my hosts, though, during this time. Usually while I'm packing up, I'm talking to them on how great they did, how fun their friends were, reminding them about following up with people so we can close in the next 2 days, etc. Sometimes when they watch me pack up, they notice more items that they hadn't really gotten a chance to see during the party and they comment on them, ask me about more things, etc. I've had some hosts increase their host order due to that.So I see the benefit of continuing to do my dishes there, but maybe I should bring a tub just in case things are taking too long, or if the host's home doesn't seem set up for me to do them. Maybe just washing the big things would be enough to keep me busy for a while and then take all the smaller and dishwasher friendly items home in a little washable tub.Hmm, I'm going to be thinking about this some more. Thanks for starting the thread. :)

I usually rinse of stuff a little bit so my bag doesn't get too messy - but I still carry a trash bag just in case and throw everything in the dishwasher when I get home. Then the stoneware is usually the only thing I really have to clean. :)

I like having something to do, like washing dishes, which gives me an excuse to step slightly away from the area to look like I'm busy and not hovering over them. At least that's how I feel like I would be if I didn't do my dishes.

When you say you like having something to do, wouldn't you rather be mingling with the guests, or host coaching your new host? I never have time at the end of the show to even think about doing my dishes. Just curious.

At last night's I did a sort of cleanup hybrid. I made sure the LBP and DCB were cleaned and didn't worry too much about the rest. The hostess did some of the dishes, but when I was packing up and she was still doing dishes, I told her not to worry about them and tossed them into the rubbermaid tub. At home I just put it all in the dishwasher. I ended up adding the stuff she cleaned to the dishwasher too, because I'm a little picky on how clean my stuff is. It is times like those that I REALLY appreciate the design of these tools. Dishwasher safe is a MUST in these times. Thank you PC!

1. What do you guys do to make tool cleanup more efficient?

At Pampered Chef, we recommend using a separate trash bag or container to store used or dirty tools during a party. This makes it easier to keep track of which tools have been used and need to be cleaned.

2. Does your company have any other tips for newbies when it comes to tool cleanup?

Yes, we have a few other tips to help make tool cleanup a breeze. One tip is to have a sink or large bowl filled with warm, soapy water ready for soaking tools as they are used. This helps to prevent food from drying and sticking to the tools, making them easier to clean later on.

3. How do you handle bringing dirty tools home to wash after a party?

One method that many of our consultants use is bringing an empty trash bag with a liner to store all the used tools. This makes it easy to transport them back home for washing and also keeps them contained and separate from any clean tools.

4. Is there a specific cleaning solution or method that Pampered Chef recommends for their tools?

We recommend using warm, soapy water and a soft sponge or cloth to clean our tools. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the surface of the tools. For tougher stains or stuck-on food, soaking the tools in warm, soapy water before cleaning can help loosen and remove the debris.

5. Are there any tools that are dishwasher safe?

Yes, many of our tools are dishwasher safe. However, we always recommend checking the specific product's care instructions before placing it in the dishwasher. Some tools may have delicate or non-dishwasher safe components that can be damaged in the dishwasher.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• colegrovet
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Get_Pampered
  • Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kelly8