• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring Tonsil Cancer Treatment Options: Radiation vs. Chemotherapy

In summary, the primary care giver's husband will be starting treatment for tonsil cancer within the next 10 days and has been recommended radiation only, but another doctor has suggested he receive a "touch of chemo" to help boost the radiation treatments. They have a Cancer Survivor's Toolbox that will be sent to them at no charge, and books that helped her cope during her first round of chemo and her father in law's radiation treatment.
pattikake
A little bit off topic (well maybe alot off topic!) ...

My husband will be starting treatment within the next 10 days for tonsil cancer. His primary doctor has recommended radiation only for treatment. However, another doctor has suggested he receive a 'touch of chemo' to help boost the radiation treatments. This would obviously add more sickness to the mix.

Just wondered if anyone out there has gone through this and which treatment(s) you chose. Any insight would be most appreciated.

tx
Patti

Tonsil cancer? I don't think so. Squamous Cell Carcinoma maybe? That said, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I would bet that's what he has.

While doing some digging for you, I found out that I have a "Cancerversary" page. You can see it by clicking on this link to the http://www.canceradvocacynow.org/goto/thekitchnguy.

Last edited:
Tonsil Cancer? never heard of this. Why don't they remove his tonsils and then treat with whatever?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
While doing some digging for you, I found out that I have a "Cancerversary" page. You can see it by clicking on this link to the http://www.canceradvocacynow.org/goto/thekitchnguy.

You will never cease to amaze me

FIrst I would find a good oncologist to go to. My FIL has throat cancer & he did radiation tratments 5 days a week for 6 weeks & 3 chemo treatments. 1 when he started radiation, 1 three weeks later & the last one 3 weks after that.

I also a lady my mom works with, her brother has tonsil cancer. I will be praying for a good outcome for your husband & please keep us updated!:)

Lisa

Some resources that will help him, and you, as the primary care giver:

The National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship.
Unlike the ACS, which is dedicated to eradicating cancer, NCCS is an
advocate for cancer survivors. They have a Survivor's Tool Kit that
they will send you at no charge. It is filled with good information about
coping, patients' rights and to let you know that you are not alone. If
you click on the link below, you'll find the toolbox along with a listing
of other resources that will be helpful to you.

The Cancer Survivor's Toolbox.

Books that helped me cope:

51WVNE6X6FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0816643156/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Christine Clifford.
She's a survivor that I read about in the St. Paul Pioneer Press
back around 1995 and remembered when I needed to, just four years later.

41YY2VZY2YL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393041905/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Norman Cousins.
Cousins was diagnosed with a rare tropical disease and given six months
to live. He decided that wasn't good enough and set out on a path to
heal himself. He lived for about 25 more years and this is his story - it's
actually a MUST READ for anyone who is serious about surviving life!

I also had something called "Everyone's Cancer Encyclopedia" that is no
longer available. It's out of date, anyway, and it was redone in special
volumes for different types of cancer.
(Sadly, Squamous Cell is not one of them.)

There is, however, something called the http://www.amazon.com/dp/0816064121/?tag=pfamazon01-20 that sounds like it might be useful.

The Kat Lady also found this book to be very helpful to her sanity:

21G5EWG2JSL._SL500_AA140_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0440216648/?tag=pfamazon01-20
What You Must Know, What You Can Do, and What You
Should Expect A Dell Caregiving Guide
because he's
not the only one going through this. You're going
through it too, and you're going to have to put up
with a lot in support of him. This should help. ;)

Of course, one of the most important survival books I had was:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H8PJSHFHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0836218221/?tag=pfamazon01-20(A Calvin And Hobbes Treasury)

During my first round of chemo, I was in the treatment center
(The Kat Lady and I called it "The Feeding Room") surrounded by
12 other poor suckers with tubes in their arms, all of us being
poisoned while a support person was with them. The Kat Lady
was reading Irma Bombeck while I was reading Calvin & Hobbes.
We were laughing so hard that I actually had tears in my eyes.

There was a young lady supporting an elderly woman who was
getting her dose. The young lady leaned over to the lady that
was probably her grandmother and said, not knowing we could
hear her, "What is wrong with those people? All they do is laugh!"

Yup - you can't take life too seriously, you're never going to get
out of it alive, anyway.

Also, my father in law had very little sickness from the chemo, it is the radiation that will get him. Make sure he drinks PLENTY of fluids. The radiation in that area is very hard on the throat.

Lisa

cwinter474 said:
Tonsil Cancer? never heard of this. Why don't they remove his tonsils and then treat with whatever?

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Under no circumstances have the tonsils pulled! A tonsilectomy in an adult is major surgery with all kinds of complications. Pulling the tonsils is no guarantee of a cure anyway.

If I had known better, I never would have let a surgeon extract the lymph node with the lump. I would have done a needle biopsy because now my neck looks like I was in a knife fight.

lcucinella said:
Also, my father in law had very little sickness from the chemo, it is the radiation that will get him. Make sure he drinks PLENTY of fluids. The radiation in that area is very hard on the throat.

Lisa

It all depends on what they give him for poison...er...chemo.

An unfortunate side effect of radiation the tonsils is that saliva glands are collateral damage. That had lots of side effects for me that might not be a problem for him, but I can share if you like. Dry Mouth is one, I always have a water bottle with me (those who were with me at NC will attest to that) so I can wet my whistle when I need to.

There is a drug called Salagin (or something like that) that stimulates muscous membranes and will promote saliva creation.

He had his right tonsil and a lymph node removed 5 weeks ago. The cancer, yes Squamous Cell Carcinoma, was in his tonsil and attacked his lymph node. He was out of commission for 2 days following that surgery. He feels great right now, which I know will soon change once treatment starts. Thanks for all the links/resources and info... We have done so much reading lately that my eyes hurt! We're keeping a positive attitude and know we are in for a little 'bump' in the road so to speak. Thank you all again.

I don't have any advice to give you, just sending many good thoughts your way. Hope you hubby has a speedy recovery. My DH is just healing from skin cancer and is doing well after his treatment. The "C" word is such a dirty and scary word!!

KG, as a long -time ACS volunteer, I'd NEVER heard of the agency you mention! I will keep it in mind for future referrals.

I've not heard of this either, but I second the reccomendation for an excellent oncologist.

My Dad went through tonsil cancer treatments this past fall. I don't know the official name, but it was a small cell cancer & very agressive. His tonsils were removed & anoids. He had both chemo & radition, started in Nov & ended in April. It's been along road, but he's so far cancer free & doing well.

Will keep you in my thoughts.

Yup. Squamous cell carcinoma. Tell him welcome to the club!

10 years clean and green for me - with squamous cell, if it's going to come back, it will come back in 12-18 months and with a vengence. If he makes it a year, he's in good shape, if he makes it 18 months, chances are that he's got the little *&^$#! beat!

How's the dry mouth so far?

Personal note to You-Know-Who-You-Are, thanks for signing my http://www.canceradvocacynow.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=1050&pxfid=1890 guest book! :thumbup:

Last edited:
My husband starts his radiation treatments today. We're anxious to get them started and to get it over with ..

Ask him how much he likes his mask. :)

I thought of you as soon as I saw thishttp://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2009/08/funny-pictures-cats-have-pattycake-challenge.jpg

KG - too funny!

What is tonsil cancer?

Tonsil cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the cells of the tonsils, located in the back of the throat. It is most commonly found in adults over the age of 50.

What are the common symptoms of tonsil cancer?

The most common symptoms of tonsil cancer include a sore throat that does not go away, difficulty swallowing, a lump in the throat, ear pain, and changes in voice or speech.

What are the treatment options for tonsil cancer?

The treatment for tonsil cancer depends on the stage and location of the cancer. It may include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or a combination of these treatments.

Will I lose my ability to taste or swallow after treatment?

In some cases, treatment for tonsil cancer may affect the sense of taste and ability to swallow. However, with proper medical care and support, many patients are able to regain these abilities over time.

How can I prevent tonsil cancer?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent tonsil cancer, some risk factors such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and HPV infection can be avoided. Regular dental check-ups and maintaining good oral hygiene may also help lower the risk of developing tonsil cancer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
nikked
  • Chef Kearns
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back