1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Tomatoes in the food chopper

1. sburnside

sburnside Member Gold Member

I recently received a salsa recipe from my PC newsletter provider and it states to chop the tomatoes in the food chopper. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking the tomatoes would be too juicy and make a mess. Any suggestions?

Jun 23, 2008
  2. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

As long as the tomatoes are fairly firm, not already soft and mushy, then can be chopped in the chopper. I personally prefer the salad choppers, a knife or the mandoline, but the chopper works too.

Jun 23, 2008
  3. stefani2

stefani2 Veteran Member

If it is a Salsa recipe - tomatoes can be chopped in the Food Chopper no problem - if they end up a little bit mushy - it wont matter.

I find a Field or Roma tomato are fine in the Food chopper - but a softer tomatoe like 'vine ripe' are too soft and turn to TOTAL mush...

Jun 23, 2008
  4. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Legend Member Gold Member

You can also help by "deseeding" the tomatoes first. I usually do this for salsa, anyway, so it doesn't turn into a watery mess by the next day!

[​IMG]

Jun 24, 2008
  5. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

We use our food choppers when our church does indian tacos as a fundraiser. You have to be careful and not over chop the tomatoes or they will be mush. But, you can do it. The salad choppers work great too.

Jun 24, 2008
  6. I like to use chopper. Of course, it is only suitable for fresh tomatoes. But I think using it to cut onions is definitely a great idea! You only need to divide it into two parts in advance, and then put it into the cutter to cut a lot of chopped onions in one minute. The cut onions are in the holding box, and take them out when you need them. You won't cry because of onions.

Apr 21, 2020
Have something to add?