1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Tomato Paste in a Tube, no waste

1. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

I was watching Rachel Ray last week and saw a new (at least new to me) product. Tomato Paste in a tube. You only use what you need, and the rest stays fresh. It is so cool. I know it has been around for years, but it is the first time I've seen it, so I found some on Amazon.
    Amore Tomato Paste, 4.5-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery

I just hate when I end up throwing out tomato paste because the other half of the can (even when I transfer it to a small dish) goes bad before I can use it. It goes bad because it is exposed to the air. In the tube the air can't get to the left over. I know I could freeze the remaining, but I don't have that kind of time.

I know it is a convince item, but I'm loving it. There are lots of recipes that only call for a Tablespoon or two of paste.

Just thought I would share! :thumbup:

2. cwinter474

cwinter474 Veteran Member Gold Member

Never heard of this. Sounds like a good idea. I always keep one of the small cans of Hunts around and never seem to need less than that. I can think of alot of things they could put into a tube to save us money.

Aug 16, 2009
  3. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

Some specialty stores carry the tubes, if you don't want to pay shipping from an online retailer. I had one that I picked up from Trader Joe's (I think). It was quite convenient, while it lasted.

Aug 16, 2009
  4. jetcitysandy

jetcitysandy Member Gold Member

Thanks. I saw Rachel use it too and I was wondering where to find some. It is a good idea when you just need a couple tablespoons of it.

Aug 16, 2009
  5. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I love it. Sometimes I can find it in my local grocery store. Chances are good that it will be up high on a shelf.

Aug 16, 2009
  6. PCMomto4

PCMomto4 Member

Our grocery store here carries in on the top shelf and it is wonderful. I know at our grocery store if they don't have a product that you want if you ask them theywill order it for you to pick up later on, maybe ask your grocery store if they will do that for you.

Aug 17, 2009
  7. jackieblue

jackieblue Member

I freeze tablespoon-sized blobs on wax paper and then put them in a ziplock freezer bag once they're firm. Then I can take them out of the freezer a tablespoon at a time. Our grocery store has the tubes, but they are really expensive.

Aug 17, 2009
  8. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I've done this before too. The small scoop is one tablespoon, and an easy way to portion it out to freeze.

Aug 17, 2009
  9. Lindsay

Lindsay Gold Member

Yup, that's what I do - I portion it onto silpats for freezing. Parchment paper would work too. Then just store in a ziplock bag. The tubes of tomato paste are kind of neat but *so* expensive.

Aug 18, 2009
  10. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

Yep, it is all about convenience. I wish I had time to do that, but when I have an open can, it always seems like something happens that I don't have time to save them...

11. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

Yes, and it stays good for SO long! I very rarely use tomato paste, so this is the perfect thing for me :) I LOVE having it!

Aug 18, 2009
  12. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

I find it at my regular grocery store too.

Aug 18, 2009
Have something to add?