• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

toThose Who Werein Wave 1 or 2...

The conversation is about the dress code for a business event and how people have different interpretations of "business casual". Some are unsure if everyone received the same memo about the dress code and are wondering how others will be dressed. Others mention previous events where some people did not follow the dress code and wore inappropriate outfits. However, the consensus is to wear what makes you comfortable and to not worry about fitting in with a specific dress code. There were a variety of outfits seen at the event, from business suits and dresses to more casual capris and t-shirts. The key is to be comfortable and confident in what you are wearing.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
...how were people dressed this year? Less casual than last year?
I ask because my NED sent word downline that business casual did not mean bermuda shorts or denim...no flip flops or crocs, etc...she said we should expect to see a more business-like attire and business suits on stage. So - I put together very businessy outfits. But now am wondering if EVERYONE got that memo? Or just our line? Either way, I'd rather be too businesslike than too casual as long as I am comfortable - I certainly want to look professional. But I am just wondering how everyone else looked?
I know in years past I have been STUNNED by some of the outfits I saw...

You know I haven't been there yet, but I can guarantee you'll be shocked again this year. Some people just don't follow the roles. Heck, some people most likely don't even know there are rules.

I haven't heard anything yet. I was just planning on dressy capris (same material as my black dress pants) and nice black sandals (not flip-flops but not closed shoes either).

I'll be a little more business--slacks, top, and jacket on most days. I don't do open shoes, so I'll be wearing pumps.

raebates said:
I'll be a little more business--slacks, top, and jacket on most days. I don't do open shoes, so I'll be wearing pumps.

That's what I am doing, Rae. Slacks and a blazer every day. Comfy but professional.

I'd say it was about the same as the other 2 yrs. I've been. Some very dressed, others...not so much. I think the big thing is if you are going to be on stage---dress like it. I couldn't believe what some people had on going across stage!!!

I took biz casual. Pants/nice shirts and felt like I fit in just fine---no stage appearance this year for me---next hopefully.

I do have to say going to the career club lunch (I went for the 1st time) was SOOOO Much better than the regular lunch!!!!!

It's what I'm comfortable in. For some people it would be torture.

From wave 1 and a first time attendee: As they say...all shapes/sizes/walks of life...thus... the dress was just as all over the board so to speak. I saw MANY peeps in sneakers...full blown tennis shoes. No not slide on sketchers/cutesy... I'm talking New Balance, Nike etc. They paired them with Capris for the most part or full lenght pants. I did see someone (on stage) in what appeared to be Dark Denim (tsk tsk) but again, who am I? I personally had NO problem at all with sneakers as I have super high arches and heel spurs and know that at the end of the day I can barely walk in 'cutesy' shoes so to each their own.

I did wear sandals but I have a very comfy pair of Easy Spirit slides that are like pillows.

As for clothing, you name it, I saw it. Some decked the halls in full blown business suits and knock your socks off dresses to more casual capris and A LOT of long shorts (as I call them) - dunno the real name...Stacy London I am not. THe ones that come to your knee but yet are not capris. LOTS of those. I personally wore full length khaki's 2 of 3 days and felt very comfortable in my surroundings.

Then you had the super casual (what I would not wear), usually paired with the sneakers. Most (overall) had casual cotton styled shirts....lots of button up sleeveless shifts or cap sleeves and MANY had cool t-shirts that were either relative to their cluster, a director, a product (ie: something like: "My DCB can kick your Crock Pots Butt") <---very cute! So there you have tshirts, capris, long shorts, full pants, cute little dresses, full long dressses, long sundresses, crocs, sneakers, sandals, high heels, snort sleeves, long sleeves, half sleeves (me), cotton, polyester, YOU NAME IT.

Hear this: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! Do what you are comfortable with and go with it! That's what matters! Be comfy! What is comfy for you??? I am not comfortable in what I call "stuffy" clothes (biz attire) when I am sitting so much or lugging stuff around.

If you're going with cutesy shoes to go with your spiffy attire - I saw many ladies limping, whining or talking about their blisters....Dr Scholls makes great blister bandaids....buy them now. :)

Again - don't waste another second double guessing yourself...go in what YOU are comfortable in...you will fit in in anything you wear bc there was EVERYTHING there. ANd thats what is great about it...we all run our biz diff, we all come from diff places, we all want diff things, and we all wear something different. In the end, we all rock it together as we are there with a common interest and goal in mind.

Relax and ENJOY!

Melissa78 said:
From wave 1 and a first time attendee: As they say...all shapes/sizes/walks of life...thus... the dress was just as all over the board so to speak. I saw MANY peeps in sneakers...full blown tennis shoes. No not slide on sketchers/cutesy... I'm talking New Balance, Nike etc. They paired them with Capris for the most part or full lenght pants. I did see someone (on stage) in what appeared to be Dark Denim (tsk tsk) but again, who am I? I personally had NO problem at all with sneakers as I have super high arches and heel spurs and know that at the end of the day I can barely walk in 'cutesy' shoes so to each their own.

I did wear sandals but I have a very comfy pair of Easy Spirit slides that are like pillows.

As for clothing, you name it, I saw it. Some decked the halls in full blown business suits and knock your socks off dresses to more casual capris and A LOT of long shorts (as I call them) - dunno the real name...Stacy London I am not. THe ones that come to your knee but yet are not capris. LOTS of those. I personally wore full length khaki's 2 of 3 days and felt very comfortable in my surroundings.

Then you had the super casual (what I would not wear), usually paired with the sneakers. Most (overall) had casual cotton styled shirts....lots of button up sleeveless shifts or cap sleeves and MANY had cool t-shirts that were either relative to their cluster, a director, a product (ie: something like: "My DCB can kick your Crock Pots Butt") <---very cute! So there you have tshirts, capris, long shorts, full pants, cute little dresses, full long dressses, long sundresses, crocs, sneakers, sandals, high heels, snort sleeves, long sleeves, half sleeves (me), cotton, polyester, YOU NAME IT.

Hear this: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! Do what you are comfortable with and go with it! That's what matters! Be comfy! What is comfy for you??? I am not comfortable in what I call "stuffy" clothes (biz attire) when I am sitting so much or lugging stuff around.

If you're going with cutesy shoes to go with your spiffy attire - I saw many ladies limping, whining or talking about their blisters....Dr Scholls makes great blister bandaids....buy them now. :)

Again - don't waste another second double guessing yourself...go in what YOU are comfortable in...you will fit in in anything you wear bc there was EVERYTHING there. ANd thats what is great about it...we all run our biz diff, we all come from diff places, we all want diff things, and we all wear something different. In the end, we all rock it together as we are there with a common interest and goal in mind.

Relax and ENJOY!

It's not so much that I am second guessing myself, it's just that I know there was a lot of hubbub about the lack of professional dress last year and how it is a reflection on or company as a whole since there are other conferences going on in McCormick when we are there. My NED made a HUGE deal about it in our conference calls and asked us to pass the info downline but is is seeming like other NEDs either didn't pass the info down, or people are just not getting the message.

Either way - someone quoted the other day "Don't dress for your job, dress for your next job" or something like that. I am going with that attitude.

Ok Carolyn and Rae...what do you think of these: http://www.arrowgiftshop.com/media/7220.jpgBy me, these, with dress capris and a nice shirt are "business casual".

I plan to dress as nice as I possibly can within my price range, comfort level, and lifestyle.

(Those are my sandals I usually wear to church and work when not in the warehouse).

dannyzmom said:
It's not so much that I am second guessing myself, it's just that I know there was a lot of hubbub about the lack of professional dress last year and how it is a reflection on or company as a whole since there are other conferences going on in McCormick when we are there. My NED made a HUGE deal about it in our conference calls and asked us to pass the info downline but is is seeming like other NEDs either didn't pass the info down, or people are just not getting the message.

Either way - someone quoted the other day "Don't dress for your job, dress for your next job" or something like that. I am going with that attitude.

I understand that and I went with the same philosophy, to a degree. In my mind, I did not go to NC with the intentions of getting a new job...perhaps that will change, but again, we are all there for different reasons. My point (which is never short) was just, do what you think is best for you and forget about what others are thinking or saying. If someone is going to judge you, even an upline, that's their problem and really judgemental of them. Great thing about PC is you don't get promoted by what your upline thinks of your dress or what type of person you are by your dress...you get your 'next job' based upon the work you put into it, the goals and the accomplishments you achieve and the people you develop.

Those that were ultra casual and in sneakers may just be walking as NED one day and who really remembered what they had on in 2009? Perhaps your NED will since it seems to be so important to them.

You will look snazzy and feel really proud of yourself in whatever you choose to wear. Knock their socks off and smile when you do it. :D

etteluap70PC said:
I plan to dress as nice as I possibly can within my price range, comfort level, and lifestyle.

Like your style!! You will see me in sneakers mainly because of the walking...even being in one building. Just my humble ;):confused: opinion but unless they pay better, you can only expect so much from people. Being single with many financial obligations, you get what I can afford but mostly feel comfortable in. Too old and heavy to be dressing too revealing:D, but not ready for the mumu dress yet!!!:eek: Also, in the economy that we are having, they have to be pleased that we are able to get there! Numbers must be down and I would hate to have someone miss this important event because of the cost of dressing up.

Guess I did not see the dress down that you heard about, Carolyn. Was it from your upline? We heard nothing.

The only outfit I recall was one from a high achiever in our Wave that was a nice outfit, but she needed the next size bigger for a better fit. And she was up there many times. It was not revealing and was a very nice outfit, but too small for her.

janetupnorth said:
Ok Carolyn and Rae...what do you think of these:

http://www.arrowgiftshop.com/media/7220.jpg

By me, these, with dress capris and a nice shirt are "business casual".

Janet, I like these and I think they would look great with a nice shirt and dress capris!

janetupnorth said:
Ok Carolyn and Rae...what do you think of these:

http://www.arrowgiftshop.com/media/7220.jpg

By me, these, with dress capris and a nice shirt are "business casual".

I think you'll look great. Those are nice sandals. I know that in some regions (and, for safety reasons, some businesses) sandals are not considered appropriate as business casual. For the purposes of NC, I think you're fine as long as they aren't flip-flops.

Janet, VERY cute shoes! Who makes them?​

I was surprised how casual people were, but one thing I noticed is that (at least in our wave), there were MANY first time attendees. They may not know better.Also, there were no other conferences going on in McCormick during wave 1--we were it! There was a conference going on at the Hilton, though--a bunch of librarians. :)

Re: To those who were in wave 1 or 2...I received the same message from my upline. I figured it had to do with so many new people going who had no idea how to dress or what was expected.
Here's a hint, it's all about the shoes this year, so if you are on stage, or at lunch with the top bananas, pay attention to your footwear.:)

I was at Wave 1 and as a first-timer, I didn't want to be pointed out as a "no-no" dresser.

I did not wear sneakers but I did wear dark denim pull on pants the last day since I would be wearing this on the plane. They don't look like jeans at all.

With that being said, there was a lot of sneakers and I did see people in jean capris and I even saw one gal in very short shorts in the Merrill check-out line! Holy cow! I was thinking, "Where is the fashion police?" Hopefully, someone gently told her that was not appropriate.

The majority was dressed nicely. It was definitely business casual.

LeslieSGI said:
Janet, VERY cute shoes! Who makes them?​

Minnetonka

They are the most comfortable and very long-lasting sandals! A leather pair will last 5 years with lots of wear and tear. (In the meantime, my husband has already gone through about 7 pairs of generic brands). They are usually cushioned in the sole.

I can honestly say I've never worn flip-flops in my life. Tried a pair on once but can't get used to something stuck between my toes.

janetupnorth said:
Minnetonka

They are the most comfortable and very long-lasting sandals! A leather pair will last 5 years with lots of wear and tear. (In the meantime, my husband has already gone through about 7 pairs of generic brands). They are usually cushioned in the sole.

I can honestly say I've never worn flip-flops in my life. Tried a pair on once but can't get used to something stuck between my toes.

I love my Minnetonkas! Janet is right - they can handle a lot of wear and tear, and are very comfy. Next to my Merrell shoes, they are my favorite - and I'll probably be sportin' a pair of them at conference, also!:thumbup:

Melissa78 said:

Relax and ENJOY!

I am taking my New Balance tennies and I DON'T CARE what anyone thinks, OR what they look like....
Seriously.
I will be in the ER when I get home if I don't wear tennis shoes with all the walking we do.
I also will be taking an ace bandage w/ me just in case.
Otherwise, it will be khaki and black and white dressy capris, nice cute cotton tops and a dress for banquet.

baychef said:
Too old and heavy to be dressing too revealing:D, but not ready for the mumu dress yet!!!:eek:

I'm not old enough for it, I probably am heavy enough for it but I love to wear a big ole' mumu - but only around the house. And mostly just to annoy my husband. Haven't got one right now, but it is the most comfortable way to go.

I will probably also be wear tennis shoes for comfort because I have had trouble with my feet in the past and would hate to wake up on day two unable to move from the bed!

If I have NEW sneakers (New Balance)--I am ok. I am not wearing them on stage when I walk for TPC, but McCormick is so stinkin' big, and I have feet issues....so I'm wearin' them. Maybe I'll run and get a cute pair of keds today so I don't look dorky. But I don't do well with miserable feet. As long as people don't wear shorts (including bermudas) or slinky tops I think it's ok.

DebbieJ said:
I was surprised how casual people were, but one thing I noticed is that (at least in our wave), there were MANY first time attendees. They may not know better.

Also, there were no other conferences going on in McCormick during wave 1--we were it! There was a conference going on at the Hilton, though--a bunch of librarians. :)

HAHA, yes, the librarians! As we were headed out to lunch before heading to the train depot all of them were lined up from the lobby all the way outside down the street. My director handed almost everyone a recipe card with her info, just calling out "librarians need to eat too"! I was laughing my behind off! One of the ladies sold her friend a mini serving spatula on the spot LOL.
The point is...if there are other conferences going on...take the plunge, hand out your card, and get your name out there!
She now has her business info all over the country!
She was quicker than I..and a bit more courageous!

As a first timer I was shocked at how laid back some of the people were with their dress. But to each their own. We were one of the groups that wore matching t-shirts the first day, but we all wore nice skirts or capris with them. I did notice the looks I got from some when I didn't have a cluster mate with me near by. We went with the whole superhero theme and were in Super Girl t-shirts. But the rest of the time...for myself especially...we were in business casual.
As far as Bermuda shorts go, I think it's the style and material they're made of. I wore a really nice pair the last day that were made of the same material as my dress pants, dark gray with black herringbone stripes and a sleeveless black sweater.
I went with what I had, the only thing I bought for conference was a pair of shoes...got a great deal on them...I paid $15 for a pair of sketcher actives (the ones that look like ballet shoes with straps across the top), originally priced at $65!
OK, I just jumped all over the board LOL.
The point is...dress to feel good about yourself, be comfortable, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks! You're there to better yourself and your business, not win a fashion contest!

chefsteph07 said:
I am taking my New Balance tennies and I DON'T CARE what anyone thinks, OR what they look like....
Seriously.
I will be in the ER when I get home if I don't wear tennis shoes with all the walking we do.
I also will be taking an ace bandage w/ me just in case.
Otherwise, it will be khaki and black and white dressy capris, nice cute cotton tops and a dress for banquet.

I agree with you!! I am in wave 3 (leaving via Amtrak tomorrow) and I'm also a first timer. However, I work full time in a very large law firm where the dress is business casual and I plan on wearing black capris and a nice shirt - however, with the amount of walking, i will be wearing my New balance tennis shoes - since I have Plantar Faciitis. I have learned not to judge people by their footwear since they may have medical conditions that require them to wear certain shoes.

Can't wait!!

All I know is that Jean Jonas told me she loved my dots sweater when I walked for TPC. :)
muhahahahahaaaa

I was a first timer, and had heard a bunch of brew-ha-ha over dress code on this site, but when you're actually there, from what I could tell, no one seemed to notice.

Consultants came in all different shapes, sizes, and ages, and were dressed in as wide a variety. There were a lot of t-shirts, and a lot of logo wear, but honestly, the only jeans I actually noticed was when David was on stage getting his $2 Million award. He was in jeans 2 of the 3 days, and obviously, it isn't hurting him any, LOL!

So I say, whatever makes you comfortable! Because you're going to have a much better experience being able to focus on the workshops than being distracted by blisters and uncomfortable clothes.

We may not pay attention to what people are wearing, but trust me...Doris does. She has made comments to people and about people. Not mean things, but she does notice stuff...and the rest of the PC HO staff too. I heard from a director that she directly told someone once that she did not like his t-shirt...or the ones his cluster was wearing. I think that had to do with using the logo, but still, it told me that yes, she does take notice of everything around her.

1. How were people dressed this year?

Based on reports from my NED, it seems that the dress code for this year's event was more business-like compared to previous years. This means that attendees were expected to dress in business casual attire, rather than more casual options like bermuda shorts or denim. Business suits were also seen on stage.

2. Did everyone receive the memo about the dress code?

It is unclear if every person received the memo about the dress code. It is possible that only certain individuals, like those in your line, were informed about the more formal dress code. However, it is always better to err on the side of caution and dress more professionally.

3. What is considered appropriate business casual attire?

Business casual attire typically includes dress pants or skirts, button-down shirts or blouses, and closed-toe shoes. Avoid overly casual items like flip flops or crocs, and opt for more polished and professional options.

4. Is it better to be too formal or too casual at events like this?

It is always better to be slightly more formal than too casual at events like this. This shows that you take the event and your appearance seriously, and it is always easier to dress down a more formal outfit than dress up a casual one.

5. What should I wear to look professional?

To look professional, choose outfits that are well-fitted, polished, and appropriate for the occasion. This can include tailored suits, blouses or button-down shirts, dress pants or skirts, and closed-toe shoes. Avoid overly revealing or casual attire, and make sure to feel comfortable and confident in your outfit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MandyK
  • General Chat
2 3 4
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • cookn' katie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefjeanine