• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did Someone Just Call Me Anorexic?!

In summary, this lady sounds like she is offended easily and does not like skinny people. Emma was offended by this comment and thought it was mean. She tries to forget it and move on.
EmmaLeeM
I am not that easily offended... But at the moment I AM! A lady that was at the first show I did called a bit ago and was talking to me about stuff, and I asked her honest oppinion about how I did. She said I did fine, and the presentation was good. But THEN! Then she said "You might do better if you didn't look so anorexic" :eek: Ah! WHat the $^&&? And my thought is, where the heck did that come from? I just laughed it off and said that I had 2 little ones I run with everyday and it keeps me fit... But in reality I am MAD! :mad: Okay... There's my vent for the day.

Emma

Forget about it!That lady sounds like she has some serious issues! I would just try to forget the comment. Some people just have to find SOMETHING negative to say!

Maybe she is of the opinon "Skinny cooks can't be trusted."

Don't take her comment seriously. She seems like the type of person that has to find a negative in everything.

I agree she must be a negative person, try and forget it. Look at the brighter side at least she didn't say you did a bad presentation.

:rolleyes: Like you can do anything about it. I know someone who has difficulty keeping her weight in three digits ~ she gets that all the time. Our society is so focused on thin that people do not realize that saying, "My gosh, you're skinny" is equal to saying to someone, "My gosh, you're fat."

You wouldn't be upset if she said, "You have green hair!" because you know it isn't true. Same for this, it isn't true. Just shrug it off and move on.

"I agree she must be a negative person, try and forget it. Look at the brighter side at least she didn't say you did a bad presentation."

LOL, that's true....

I guess when I think of the "anorexic" look, I think of the walking dead. I've known 2 girls that had this badly, and for someone to say that I look like that, or to assume that I would do that to my body just got to me.

Emma

On a bad month i weigh 95 lbs.!! on good month i weigh 100 lbs!! i have tried to gain weight and cant. when somone comments on my size i just grin and tell them thats okay but to watch out cuz us skinny gals can outeat most others. sometimes i can outeat my DH and thats saying something!! God made you perfect and she just needed someone to pick on....just blow it off and think of it as a compliment .....somehow!!

The ying and the yangI am heavy...I've always battled my weight. My best friend has always been skinny...very skinny. We accept each other and commiserate about how hard it is to find decent clothes for either of our sizes. Well...she hit her late 30's and finally started to gain some weight! She called me saying I can't believe I've gained 15lbs FINALLY...but it's all in my a$$!!!!"

wow thats encouraging for me!! i will be 29 in august!! maybe mine is coming!! i would love to be able to buy clothes in the adult section!!

WELCOME to middle age! :)

(Psst - it's "yin." As in yin and yang.)

monica_sweetconsultant said:
wow thats encouraging for me!! i will be 29 in august!! maybe mine is coming!! i would love to be able to buy clothes in the adult section!!
But the downside is that you won't have those little animals helping you match up your outfits anymore.

lol that was so not right!! i actually am trying to get back up to 120. thats where i was when i got out of bootcamp. it was comftorable...nice clothes too..lol!!

he he...:D love the little angels comment!

I have to agree with everyone about the encounter you had!

I am far from skinny and no one has ever commented to me that I would do better if I didn't look like the Pilsbury Dough Boy!! I would knock their lights out! :D

Some people just have no clue about what comes out of their mouth!

As for middle age...I am approaching the big 3 0 in June!:eek: Man, I am getting old!

You *&^%$#@! kids have no idea what getting old means.(Okay, I've been waiting for a snappy retort from one of you young whipersnappers, but now I have something I have to go take care of. Feel free to carry on!)

Last edited:
ChefJessica said:
That lady sounds like she has some serious issues! I would just try to forget the comment. Some people just have to find SOMETHING negative to say!

Exactly, once I had an elderly host sometime in November, she commented that I smell too strong and she started to open up all the windows and front door. She told me that I should be careful not to wear any perfume if I want to do a good show. Ahhh...:mad: Can't believe she would said something like that! Anyway, I agreed, people can be so negative and nothing good to say about others. Her guests did say I smell nice and wanted to know what brand of perfume I wore. and they even said that it was too cold to have the door open. LOL! :D I gave my host a look and she turned away. See, other people appreciate but not this old lady. Don't you think better to look presentable than looking sloblish? :)

Thank you oh very wise Kitchenguy for correcting the errors of my western ways.

My humble apologies....as I bow and back away from the room.....

It's interesting because although I would never have said it I probably would've felt they way your insensitive guest felt. Because I remember when Giada deLaurentis started on The Food Network "Everyday Italian" I couldn't stand watching her. I remember thinking..what the heck does she know about cooking?! She looks like she never eats.

However, now that I have gotten over my ignorance, I have tried several of her recipes and let me tell you she does know quite a bit about cooking!!

I'm sorry you had that experience. It is never comfortable when you know you are being judged by your outward appearance (what you cannot control, e.g. skin color, weight, etc).

To Marlene--I too will hit the big 3 0 this June. It seems so surreal. I had a harder time with 25 though. If I weren't pregnant I would be wishing the days away, but since I am 31 weeks I cannot wait for each day/week to pass!

afshea said:
Thank you oh very wiseguy Kitchenguy for correcting the errors of my western ways.

My humble apologies....as I bow and back away from the room.....
I fixed your post. ;) And stick around, we're just getting started.

LOL, I thought this thread would have died in the night.

I assure you all I eat all I cook! and I know my way around the kitchen... and I don't look anorexic! so she's just dumb! lol I am going to chalk it up to that, but Now I kinda think I should be wearing baggy clothes or an olive coloured moo-moo so as not to draw attention to my weight-challenged body.

Emma

EmmaLeeM said:
LOL, I thought this thread would have died in the night.

I assure you all I eat all I cook! and I know my way around the kitchen... and I don't look anorexic! so she's just dumb! lol I am going to chalk it up to that, but Now I kinda think I should be wearing baggy clothes or an olive coloured moo-moo so as not to draw attention to my weight-challenged body.

Emma
Actually, your thread has morphed into a discussion by all these *&#@! kids about getting old.

30 is not old, you whippersnappers. Life begins at 40 but you're going to have to wait 10 more years to find that out. (Hehehehehehe!)

Can I just say that my 30's are SO much better then my 20's ever were!?!?! If this is a sign of what is to come then bring on 40!!

my DH is turning 30 next month and is scared to death. isnt this when the mid-life crisis thing hits???? oh boy !! i am actually looking forward to 30 and beyond!! dont know why i just am..lol...i always have to be different!

my DH is turning 30 next month and is scared to death. isnt this when the mid-life crisis thing hits???? oh boy !! i am actually looking forward to 30 and beyond!! dont know why i just am..lol...i always have to be different!
Tell him to take a deep breath and grab something solid to hold on to when the click hits 12:00 on his big day.

Why?

Because absolutely NOTHING happens.

:p

(And at 30, you're no where NEAR mid-life, let alone, mid-life crisis time.)

Thank you Kitchen Guy for sticking up for those of us who are (oh my gosh) middle aged! I was happy to turn 30. . .and 40 wasn't a problem either. Just have to wait and see how 50 fits. Of course, it could be some obscure number in-between (43?) that sends me over the edge.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Actually, your thread has morphed into a discussion by all these *&#@! kids about getting old.

30 is not old, you whippersnappers. Life begins at 40 but you're going to have to wait 10 more years to find that out. (Hehehehehehe!)

I wish that I was going to turn 30 this July instead of 40!!:( As they say it is just a number!

Life begins at 40.

Sometime, after July, you'll suddenly know what I mean. ;)

chefjeanine said:
Thank you Kitchen Guy for sticking up for those of us who are (oh my gosh) middle aged! I was happy to turn 30. . .and 40 wasn't a problem either. Just have to wait and see how 50 fits. Of course, it could be some obscure number in-between (43?) that sends me over the edge.
I was going to rush out and buy a convertible for my mid-life crisis...except that I bought my first convertible when I was 21 (Dad couldn't say "No!" anymore) and I haven't been without at least one ever since.

And yes, I have three convertibles right now. Okay, two convertibles and a roadster but the top still goes down on it.

Too young
Chef Kearns said:
It's interesting because although I would never have said it I probably would've felt they way your insensitive guest felt. Because I remember when Giada deLaurentis started on The Food Network "Everyday Italian" I couldn't stand watching her. I remember thinking..what the heck does she know about cooking?! She looks like she never eats.

However, now that I have gotten over my ignorance, I have tried several of her recipes and let me tell you she does know quite a bit about cooking!!

I'm sorry you had that experience. It is never comfortable when you know you are being judged by your outward appearance (what you cannot control, e.g. skin color, weight, etc).

My challenge has always been getting over my guests judgement that I'm too young to know what I'm doing, or that I'm so young I've been 'brainwashed' into thinking this is a great job. Being 22 (23 on Tuesday) is hard when most of my customers are my parents' age.

ChefMommyinOC said:
My challenge has always been getting over my guests judgement that I'm too young to know what I'm doing, or that I'm so young I've been 'brainwashed' into thinking this is a great job. Being 22 (23 on Tuesday) is hard when most of my customers are my parents' age.
I think you can turn this to your advantage! My first few shows, there were always giggles from the ladies who were really experinced in the kitchen, laughing at my lack of technique or what have you. I would point out, and still do, that I'm not the best in the kitchen but I sure know who makes the best tools! (I also learn a lot from my customers!) Playing dumb doesn't hurt, either.

he he...I love threads like these! Even though they are not business related...they are what make this site so much fun!:p

And even though some of you may not think 30 is old, I remember a time in my childhood when my mother turned 30 and I thought she was ancient! :eek: Of course she is only 46 now! ha ha!

I believe you are as old as you feel...and somedays with the two kids...I feel ancient! Now in Vienna...where I was treated like royalty and waited on...I felt like I was 18 again! :D

fruit76loop said:
I love threads like these! Even though they are not business related...they are what make this site so much fun!:p

And even though some of you may not think 30 is old, I remember a time in my childhood when my mother turned 30 and I thought she was ancient! :eek: Of course she is only 46 now! ha ha!

I believe you are as old as you feel...and somedays with the two kids...I feel ancient! Now in Vienna...where I was treated like royalty and waited on...I felt like I was 18 again! :D
I agree with you about this thread - it's this kind of foolishness that allows us to get to know one another. I'm all for trading business stories and ideas but I also like to get to know who I'm posting with.

Oh, and another thing, you whippersnapper, your mother's a kid, too.

:p

I have to agree with ya'll!! this is how you get to know each other and what kind of person they are!! its good to not be serious ALLLL the time, ya know!!

I have to agree with ya'll!! this is how you get to know each other and what kind of person they are!! its good to not be serious ALLLL the time, ya know!!
Some of us are not serious ANY of the time. Life is FAR too important to take seriously.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Some of us are not serious ANY of the time. Life is FAR too important to take seriously.

O NO....Are you talking about my husband now?? I always tell everyone when they first meet him to only take every 3rd or 4th word out of his mouth as truth or seriousness, lots of times not even that..:p

jdavis said:
O NO....Are you talking about my husband now?? I always tell everyone when they first meet him to only take every 3rd or 4th word out of his mouth as truth or seriousness, lots of times not even that..:p
Of course, I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • byrd1956
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies