• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips on Cooking Whole Chicken With Crispy Skin

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for cooking a whole chicken to achieve a crispy skin. Suggestions include using a Deep Covered Baker or RockCrok Dutch oven in the oven or microwave, with the addition of broiling for extra crispiness. Some participants also mention the importance of dry skin for achieving crispness.
Roadtripray
Silver Member
Howdy all,I made a whole chicken in my Deep Covered Baker this week and it was wonderful as usual. I used a rub and baked it about an hour at 350. I've also used the microwave to cook a whole chicken in 30 minutes. Both methods produce moist, juicy chicken that is wonderfully tasty.I want to work on my technique to get a crispier skin on the chicken. I realize it will be difficult (if not impossible) to get a skin as crispy as the rotisserie chicken you can buy in the supermarket. My goal is to get as close as possible without too much fuss.Here are my thoughts:
  1. Cook in Deep Covered Baker at 350 in oven for 30 minutes covered then 30 minutes uncovered.
  2. Use RockCrok Dutch oven at 350 in oven for 30 minutes covered, then uncover and broil for remaining 20 minutes.
  3. Use RockCrok Dutch oven in the Microwave for 20(?) minutes, then switch (uncovered) under broiler for 10 minutes.
These are three experiments that I haven't done yet. Has anyone tried something like these three suggestions? If you have how did it turn out?Thanks!

Rotisserie lets the juices drop off, which makes the skin crispy, and you'll never get that with the bird sitting directly in the DCB or RockCrok in its own juices. Just my thought. Closest would be breast side up, uncovered, rubbed with salt, at a higher heat roasting in an oven , not microwave, maybe 400-425 after looking at use & care directions.

Yes to #3! I use the RockCrok for 28-30 min in the microwave and then put in the oven under the broiler for 5 min max. Skin gets a nice golden color and also crispy.
As for the store rotisserie, I have seen them inject marinades/flavors into th3 chicken also.

My friend who is a chef said the key to crispy skin is dry skin. Before oil or anything make sure the skin is REALLY dry. She recommends using a hair dryer on low to dry it out!!! Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to :)

Seems interesting.
I must try once...

1. How can I get a crispy skin when cooking a whole chicken?

To achieve a crispy skin on a whole chicken, make sure to pat the chicken dry with paper towels before cooking. This will remove excess moisture and help the skin crisp up. You can also try cooking the chicken at a higher temperature (400-425 degrees Fahrenheit) for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking to help crisp up the skin.

2. How long should I cook a whole chicken for?

The cooking time for a whole chicken will depend on its weight. A general rule of thumb is to cook the chicken for 20 minutes per pound, plus an additional 15 minutes. So, for example, a 4-pound chicken would need to be cooked for about 1 hour and 35 minutes.

3. Should I truss the chicken before cooking?

Trussing (tying the chicken with kitchen twine) is not necessary for cooking a whole chicken, but it can help the chicken cook more evenly. If you decide to truss the chicken, make sure to tie it tightly and secure the legs and wings close to the body.

4. Can I add herbs or spices to the chicken for more flavor?

Absolutely! You can add herbs and spices to the chicken before cooking to infuse it with more flavor. Some popular options include rosemary, thyme, garlic, and lemon. You can also season the chicken with a dry rub or use a marinade.

5. How do I know when the chicken is fully cooked?

The best way to determine if a whole chicken is fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the thickest part of the thigh. If you don't have a meat thermometer, you can also check for clear juices when you pierce the chicken in the thickest part of the thigh with a knife.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC