• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ideas for Tipping your FedEx Delivery Person

I never leave anything for them. What... you know who your FedEx guy is? Mine always drops and drives, sometimes I catch the back of his head!That's what I mean. I have heard rants about some drivers. Because I don't need to drag... I never leave anything for them.
Chef Endora
Gold Member
Does everyone tip their FedEx delivery person?

I usually give mine a Food 'N Flix from Zebb's. UPS guy loved it and dropped off a very nice thank you. This was right after PC switched to FedEx :cry:

I am looking for other ideas besides cash. (I don't think he's a PC fan)

I've never done this (for FedEx or UPS) nor heard of anyone doing it. . .maybe I'm in the minority.

My guys have taken very good care of my deliveries that sit ouside for 6-8 hours before we get home. We can get some wild weather around here in the winter and I appreciate the little extras they do and am not around most of the time to let them know.

Fed-Ex Home Delivery people are not employees of Fed-Ex...they are independent contractors, and they own their business. Sooo, I have never thought of tipping mine, other than the baked goods he receives occasionally.

A great Fed-Ex story though:

I received a home office lead, and when I contacted the man, it turns out he's a Fed-Ex home delivery route owner. He delivers LOTS of PC boxes, and it got him curious about the business opportunity. He had been doing some research on his own, and then became a lead. He's signing this week! :)

Great lead! Keep us posted on what transpires.

I wasn't aware these guys are independent contractors. I will continue to tip because of the excellent job he does. I appreciate that he is aware of my needs and acts upon that to go above & beyond. My tip is just a small token of how much he is appreciated. I have heard & seen FedEx horror stories. Maybe I'll just stick with the Zebb's then.

I give mine a smile with a thank you. If they would come a little later they might be able to get a cookie from the after school snack's, but deliver here at "quiet time". That is very nice of you.

What... you know who your FedEx guy is? Mine always drops and drives, sometimes I catch the back of his head!

I gave my lovely Fed Ex lady some recipe cards on one of her trips and I always go out and help her with my boxes, since she has to tackle our front steps to get them on my porch. Last week when she visited,she asked for a catalog and said there where some things she had been wanting to order! Hopefully she'll not only be my fed ex lady, but also my customer! I'll have to order something soon, so she'll come back and deliver! This time i am going to get her contact info!

ChefBeckyD has a FedEx delivery guy as a recruit lead signing this week!

Never met any of our mail or package delivery people, as I work f/t during the day. Plus I live in an apt bldg, so I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving something for them knowing there were so many other people coming in and out and it could lost or taken by someone else.

wadesgirl said:
What... you know who your FedEx guy is? Mine always drops and drives, sometimes I catch the back of his head!

Ditto! My guy does the drop & run. Although he is appreciated :)

WLMcCoy said:
Ditto! My guy does the drop & run. Although he is appreciated :)

Mine is very appreciated! He always wraps the stuff in plastic when it might rain. My sister just had her drive leave 4 boxes on her deck in a down pour which ruined two boxes, luckily nothing needed replaced.

ChefBeckyD said:
Fed-Ex Home Delivery people are not employees of Fed-Ex...they are independent contractors, and they own their business. Sooo, I have never thought of tipping mine, other than the baked goods he receives occasionally.

just my 2cents. FedEx drivers also have to buy their own truck and they get paid by the number of packages they deliver. So they while they do own their own business it paid similarly to a restaurant server, servers get paid less than minimum wage bc of the tips. FedEx gets paid by the package, if they are delivering 10 huge PC packages to you they could be out delivering 20 small packages else where. Just something to keep in mind, I'm not for or against tipping. I don't generally hear about drivers getting tipped year round but definitely at Christmas. (btw my husband drives for UPS that is why I know this)

wadesgirl said:
Mine is very appreciated! He always wraps the stuff in plastic when it might rain. My sister just had her drive leave 4 boxes on her deck in a down pour which ruined two boxes, luckily nothing needed replaced.

That's what I mean. I have heard rants about some drivers. Because I don't need to drag sludge in my house, I appreciate the extra time he takes to ensure I have dry intact boxes to open. :love:

I think it's courteous to tip anyone in life that serves you one way or another- simply as a thank you, whether it's standard practice or not. That said, as I stated before, I don't tip mine due to other circumstances (not home, live in a building with many other residents, etc.) but if I was home to catch the Fed Ex guy or mail delivery person I would tip them. MH and I tip the people who pump our gas at the full serve stations, which is NOT common practice at all out here. But people are very grateful. Truth be told, if you treat someone extra nice and thank them for simply doing their job they will treat you extra nice in return. And you never know when you may need a helping hand someday and that person will be around ;)

kdangel518 said:
I think it's courteous to tip anyone in life that serves you one way or another- simply as a thank you, whether it's standard practice or not. That said, as I stated before, I don't tip mine due to other circumstances (not home, live in a building with many other residents, etc.) but if I was home to catch the Fed Ex guy or mail delivery person I would tip them. MH and I tip the people who pump our gas at the full serve stations, which is NOT common practice at all out here. But people are very grateful. Truth be told, if you treat someone extra nice and thank them for simply doing their job they will treat you extra nice in return. And you never know when you may need a helping hand someday and that person will be around ;)

Wow! Full Service Stations? What are those? LOL :D No such thing here in MI.

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow! Full Service Stations? What are those? LOL :D No such thing here in MI.

Yah I would tip too if they had them around here. It's it illegal in some states to pump your own gas (I want to say New Jersey)?

wadesgirl said:
Yah I would tip too if they had them around here. It's it illegal in some states to pump your own gas (I want to say New Jersey)?

Maybe, and I know this is true in Oregon. It supposedly helps keep the unemployment rate down.

I've never tipped a delivery person (USPS, FedEx, etc) for the same reason as Kara - I'm usually not around, and don't want to leave something sitting outside. In our neighborhood, I'm not so much worried it would be stolen, but around Christmas time there's a good chance something would be ruined.

This is a great thread topic, Chef Endora. I have always wanted to tip, just never sure how and what. I've thought of sending a tip for our garbage guys when I pay the bill, but a) not sure it would get to them, and b) we only pay every three months, so the timing might be off.

I also have a fedex guy that is gone before I see him, but I'm hoping and praying that will change in Nov, as I've got 3 fundraisers that I'm going to have delivered here so hopefully he'll be around longer than just throwing a box at my back steps (and I did say throwing, many calls to PC about broken stones)

I'm hoping if I can know when boxes will be delivered and maybe have a sample recipe (dessert of some kind) ready for him to sample and thank him for delivery, maybe in future he'll be nicer with my deliveries.

Lisa

PS, yes it's NJ that it's illegal to pump your own gas, we got into trouble when we went down there and hubby tried to pump it himself. We do also have 1 station left in our little town that has full service, they are awesome. Hum, I need to be making more samples and dropping as a thank you.

Funny thing is, you would think the full serve gas stations would be more expensive, right? Well, the chain ones are, but the small independent ones are SO much LESS expensive than self-serve- we're talking 5-10 cents a gallon! It's perfect on rainy days and during our brutal New England winters and early springs when it's snowing or freezing cold outside ;)

We have always tipped the Fed-Ex, UPS and postal carriers that deliver to my salon. Typically we go with the standard sausage and cheese gift packs or coffee mug with goodies. These are always much appreciated. I've been debating on something for my home deliveries. I haven't noticed any great service (even though he does have to drive to the middle of nowhere for my deliveries) and one time he did leave about 10 heavy boxes sitting in the middle of my driveway (huge pain when i got home at 9:30 that night in the rain) and I've never met them, but maybe a small gift would improve service?!?

kdangel518 said:
Funny thing is, you would think the full serve gas stations would be more expensive, right? Well, the chain ones are, but the small independent ones are SO much LESS expensive than self-serve- we're talking 5-10 cents a gallon! It's perfect on rainy days and during our brutal New England winters and early springs when it's snowing or freezing cold outside ;)

Oh, man - I would tip 10 cents more a gallon to have someone pump the gas for me in bad weather! I'd pay 25 cents even!

This is an interesting thread topic.

The only thing I've ever given my Fed-Ex man is cookies/brownies...but that seems to do the trick!:D Service was HORRIBLE when he first started, and now he always brings my boxes to the door...and sometimes even chats for a minute! Of course, it probably helps that I'm always so happy to see him! He will even warn me when he's handing me a box that it's heavy, so I should be careful!

Someone mentioned the Garbage man? We get an envelope in our bill for the winter saying that we can tip our guy, but we never have. They make GOOD money, and our garbage service is automated, and he never even has to get out of his truck...the arm on the side of the truck does all the work. DH and I can't figure out why we should tip him?

full service stations in my area...and there are very few of them...charge about 10 cents extra per gallon of gas to help cover that extra labor cost. I used to own a gas station/convenience store and I can tell you that when competitively priced station owners only make 3-6 cents a gallon. Gas is their drawing card to get you to buy other things...not sure about places that only sell fuel...don't actually know where any of those places are anymore.

Our Fed Ex guy is an independent who is not consistent in ringing my door bell to let me know he has delivered something. However, my UPS guy consistently rang door bell, and often waited and carried the cartons into my garage and set them on my SPA cover where I do the sorting. On several occasions during the holidays (over the course of three years) we gifted him and his delivery partner with homemade hot soup, and Xmas cookies, to go. I could anticipate his arrival around 11:45 AM, by their tracking info. He still honks when he sees us in town. Homemade treats where always welcomed.

ChefBeckyD said:

The only thing I've ever given my Fed-Ex man is cookies/brownies...but that seems to do the trick!:D Service was HORRIBLE when he first started, and now he always brings my boxes to the door...and sometimes even chats for a minute! Of course, it probably helps that I'm always so happy to see him! He will even warn me when he's handing me a box that it's heavy, so I should be careful!

Someone mentioned the Garbage man? We get an envelope in our bill for the winter saying that we can tip our guy, but we never have. They make GOOD money, and our garbage service is automated, and he never even has to get out of his truck...the arm on the side of the truck does all the work. DH and I can't figure out why we should tip him?

Haha, you'd be more appreciative if the garbage guys ever went on strike! :yuck: :D

Our garbage men do have to work, and they have to be careful to leave the can just so, because if it's a quarter inch too far to the left, the mail deliverer will decide there's not enough room to pull the car up (and, goodness forbid she actually get out of the car), so she just drives right by the mailbox. Oh well, who wants those dang bills, anyway.

Hmmm, maybe this will be a good excuse for me to make fudge and peppermint bark this year, if homemade goodies are the most appreciated.

My DSIL is a garbage man in Niagara Falls. Believe me the work is hard and they are out in the elements to do it. He even got a needle stick and had to go through all the HIV testing and anxiety that goes with that because some nitwit couldn't dispose of their needle properly! :eek:

He does get some nice tips. One lady always gives him a bag of potatoes.

pampchefsarah said:
[/B]

Haha, you'd be more appreciative if the garbage guys ever went on strike! :yuck: :D

Our garbage men do have to work, and they have to be careful to leave the can just so, because if it's a quarter inch too far to the left, the mail deliverer will decide there's not enough room to pull the car up (and, goodness forbid she actually get out of the car), so she just drives right by the mailbox. Oh well, who wants those dang bills, anyway.

Hmmm, maybe this will be a good excuse for me to make fudge and peppermint bark this year, if homemade goodies are the most appreciated.

See, our garbage system is totally different. They wouldn't go on strike, because it's a free market system. We have at least 4 different Garbage Companies that come down our street, and we choose the one that gives the best price/service. If we don't like the price/service, we can cancel that company and go with a competing company. We get special offers and deals mailed to us regularly from the garbage companies.

And really - the garbage man never has to leave his truck. I'd have to run out to the truck and make him get out to give him cookies. (not gonna happen!):D

My FedEx lady is great! I am on a cane and she brings my boxes into the house. Since I live with my DD & SIL, she now delivers them to my "bedroom door" that is an outside entrance. I gave her copies of 3 SBs I had. I will probably give her a "PC gift certificate" from me for Christmas! If it is raining and we aren't home, she puts the boxes under our carport to keep them from getting wet! I love her!

My Fed Ex guy is super great also. Hmmm.. I had no idea they were independents. I will have to think about what I can do for him.

I wouldn't be able to catch my FedEx guy(s). :D Fast buggers!

One day I caught my FedEx guy!!! I was stunned to see that he was a VERY handsome African American man. I was stunned to the point that no words would come out of my mouth. I must have looked like an idiot! I always meet him and help him bring items up. Yes, I am married, but Mr FedEx is just so cute and nice. LOL

And, if you are ever in NJ and are waiting at a pump, just walk over towards the nozzle and you'll get service really fast!

OH, I haven't tipped him yet. But this year I should, since I've actually seen him and all.:D

I always thought the UPS guys were hotties. Didn't they have a calendar once upon a time? :blushing:

I usually give them a home depot or Lowes card.

We moved 1 1/2 yrs ago...I had to "train" my fed ex guy...boy did he upset me when we 1st moved....never rang the bell put stuff in my garage..where I did not want it.

SO I was a bugger and really asked for some specifics...He agreed. So at last holiday season, I gave him a gift card...He was floored...
NOW he rings my bell, carries packages in etc...

A little goes a long way.

And before in the old hose the UPS man was a grump & weird. Of course till I tipped him one year :) THen he was much nicer.

I think its a nice gesture.

Gave mine cash for Christmas the last 2 years -- and he gives me flowers for Mother's Day.

Works for me!

ChefBeckyD said:

They actuall sent you a note and an envelope saying you could tip them? That is terrible!! My husband owns a waste removal (sound better than garbage LOL) company and they do all it all by hand.....even the unloading and he would NEVER tell his customers that they could tip him. IMO that is not appropriate at all!

nene960 said:
They actuall sent you a note and an envelope saying you could tip them? That is terrible!! My husband owns a waste removal (sound better than garbage LOL) company and they do all it all by hand.....even the unloading and he would NEVER tell his customers that they could tip him. IMO that is not appropriate at all!

Yep! Never met the guy, and don't even know his name, but we can tip him for driving a truck by our house, if we'd like! :D:p

(Now, if he actually did something by hand - like your DH...I would consider that more tip-worthy!)

I guess gone are the days where people think they have to EARN a tip...it's expected.

At my old house, I tipped my mail carrier and my FedEx driver at Christmastime. I gave them gift cards to local eateries.Even though my mailbox was at the street, my carrier often brought my mail to the door and of course she would take all my outgoing mail (lots of host packets). My FedEx guy would ring the bell and carry my boxes in.At my new house, my mail carrier is not really interested in getting to know me and I have a different FedEx driver every time it seems.

esavvymom said:
I guess gone are the days where people think they have to EARN a tip...it's expected.

Bobbi - that's exactly how we felt getting the tip envelope in with our bill. Of course, it didn't help that our bill was more than expected, because they added a fuel surcharge.

My brother is a USPS letter carrier and they are constantly time-studying them. They are supposed to cut across lawns while "fingering" the mail to improve efficiency. Not to mention not watching where you are going could cause an accident, not to mention the possibility of scooping up some doggie-doo :yuck:

My delivery people earn their tips IMHO.

Chef Endora said:
My brother is a USPS letter carrier and they are constantly time-studying them. They are supposed to cut across lawns while "fingering" the mail to improve efficiency. Not to mention not watching where you are going could cause an accident, not to mention the possibility of scooping up some doggie-doo :yuck:

My delivery people earn their tips IMHO.

UPS isn't allowed to walk on the lawns. But they are also constantly time studied as well, they actually have all sorts of sensors on the package trucks now that tells management where they are and when. One new sensor monitors idleing time. We live in MA and the managers told them they couldn't idle during lunch! Even with winter coming! Well the union had none of that.

But I agree, my delivery people earn their tips as well

My Fed Ex delivery woman is a Pampered Chef Consultant. After delivering to my house for six months we finally met this summer. She said she was just waiting for the day to meet me so we could share our business experience. The first day we met it was in the mid-80's and humid. I was working in the garage getting ready for a garage sale when she arrived to drop off some boxes. We stood outside visiting while we were perspiring until I insisted she come in the house to cool down. While she had a cool glass of water I was sharing info with her about Vista Print and other resources I had been using to promote my business in a cost-effective manner. She was so greatfull for the a/c, water and info that we immediately became friends. I know what's going on in her life and she in mine. When she rings the bell she waits until I answer the door, otherwise she leaves my package with a handful of dog treats for my Golden. I have a gem of a Fed Ex delivery person. Next time I'll have to ask her more questions about her Fed Ex job. Never thought she'd have to buy her truck. Lots of questions for our next visit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyRedHead
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies