• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is President Obama's Appearance on 'Tonight Show' a Big Deal or Not?

In summary, President Obama is scheduled to appear on the Tonight Show tomorrow. Some people are upset because he is spending his time on a comedy show instead of more important things. Others are okay with it because he is a human being and has the right to have fun.
Yep...I saw him on ESPN today filling out his basketball bracket. You've got to be kidding me!

I believe this forum is about our Pampered Chef businesses.....

He's a human being, he has the right to do what ever he wants to do. I don't see a problem with that.

He's trying to reach out to all Americans.

I don't see a prob. w/ it either. It's actually kind of nice to see the Prez. "out in the open" and stepping outside of "President mode" for 10 or so mins. It's actually a smart move on his part to try to connect with more people.

I don't understand why this bothers you so much. I think it's kind of cool.
Do you do your job 365 days a year, 24 hours a day?

I didn't vote for him, but do not see anything wrong with his participating in the March Madness (I do!). I'm glad that he and his family appear to be so respectable, so far. That alone means a lot to me.Imagine how stressful his job is -- I sure wouldn't want it and wouldn't want it for anyone in my family. I wish him all the best.

It annoys me!!! I don't care who our president is, I don't think the Tonight Show is what he should have on his mind. If he wants to reach out to all Americans, go on CNN, FOX, HLN.. Or preempt shows on main networks.
I think it's next week he's preempting American Idol to speak. That's a WONDERFUL idea.. But a comedy show? Come on.. I wouldn't support any of our government officials doing such a silly thing..
I'm all for Obama. He's our Commander in Chief, & I will support him. This isn't political, it's just my opinion that this is not acceptable!

WLMcCoy said:
But a comedy show? Come on.. I wouldn't support any of our government officials doing such a silly thing..

They've all been on it....at least Clinton and George W both went on while they were president.

DebbieJ said:
They've all been on it....at least Clinton and George W both went on while they were president.
& I think it was absolutely ridiculous on their parts...

at least he's not giving out millions of $$ in bonuses like AIG ;)
If I had my choice between him blowing money & the Tonight Show, I do believe I'd pick the Tonight Show!

DebbieJ said:

While presidential candidates -- as far back as Richard Nixon's performance on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" in 1968 -- have used comedy shows for campaigning, Obama becomes the first sitting president to appear.

He is supposed to going on to address things that are going on, trying to reach the rest of those who don't happen to watch CNN, Headline News, etc.
I didn't vote for him either, but I don't think he's going on for laughs.

And he's doing brackets like any other person would be doing.

He needs to lead a life too.

I didn't vote for him either; but I appreciate and admire that he is able to express another side to him other than always addressing super serious matters and making speeches.

I'd rather have a human be our Leader than a robot who only comes out of the shadows when absolutely necessary.

DebbieJ said:

Then why do they keep advertising it as the FIRST TIME a sitting president has been on a Late Night Show?:confused:

He's doing what he's been doing for years - reaching out to people thru a variety of outlets. Appearing on a late-night show helps him reach a different audience and sets a more casual context for his message.

I think he realizes that with all the crises going on, he needs to stay visible, accessible, and human.

Don't worry, WLMcCoy...I'm sure our Pres is keeping quite busy otherwise ;-)

chefjeanine said:
While presidential candidates -- as far back as Richard Nixon's performance on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" in 1968 -- have used comedy shows for campaigning, Obama becomes the first sitting president to appear.

My mistake....could have sworn the others were on while in office.

I heard that he's the first "live in studio" appearance. The others were live but by satellite. The secret service must be having fun today...

I don't see a problem either. It makes him look more human. Even if he jokes around, I think it would be a good thing. Think about it, he does do his job pretty much 24-7, doesn't he have the right to have fun every once in a while

It doesn't infuriate me - but it does make me think that the level of respect for the Office of President has sunk low. It's not very dignified, and dignity is something that I hold in higher regard than a TV appearance.
I thought it was sad when all of the politicians were using late night comedy shows as their place for campaigning. I'm sorry, but I don't really want to elect someone based on their ability to banter (or read a teleprompter). Our focus as a nation has gotten way off kilter.

Filling out a bracket for the NCAA tournament at home or at work is "human" Going on national TV to do it is not.

ChefBeckyD said:
It doesn't infuriate me - but it does make me think that the level of respect for the Office of President has sunk low. It's not very dignified, and dignity is something that I hold in higher regard than a TV appearance.
I thought it was sad when all of the politicians were using late night comedy shows as their place for campaigning. I'm sorry, but I don't really want to elect someone based on their ability to banter (or read a teleprompter). Our focus as a nation has gotten way off kilter.

Sunk low? I totally disagree. I feel he is BRINGING dignity back to the office after the last two presidents we had. And "ability to banter or read a teleprompter" - WOW - that's all I will say about that.

By going to where the people are they are reaching more people of all kinds. They represent ALL of us not just the stuffed shirts in Washington and the board rooms. It's not like they are doing the comedy routines.

lestat_de_leon said:
Filling out a bracket for the NCAA tournament at home or at work is "human" Going on national TV to do it is not.

Ya know, he doesn't have a choice. There's always a camera stuck in his face.

This is an example of trying to communicate with all Americans. Not to mention he is in California ON BUSINESS speaking in several forums. Thank goodness he is a HUMAN living in today's world. Such harsh criticism I think you've set forth in this thread. He is doing everyday as much as normal as he could be doing.

The country is in crisis with the economy. Did Obama put us into the recession? NO. Is he doing everything he can to get us out? YES.

Ask yourself, would you like to be President of the USA? I don't think many of us would take on that role.

Back to regular Pampered Chef business...as that is what this board is supposed to be all about.

.....Oh and I've already set my DVR :)

chefjeanine said:
I don't understand why this bothers you so much. I think it's kind of cool.
Do you do your job 365 days a year, 24 hours a day?

No, but then, we're not in the most powerful office in the world. POTUS is a full time, 24/7 job, and if someone can't handle that, they shouldn't apply for the office. Appearing on a late night show is beneath the dignity of the office.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
No, but then, we're not in the most powerful office in the world. POTUS is a full time, 24/7 job, and if someone can't handle that, they shouldn't apply for the office. Appearing on a late night show is beneath the dignity of the office.

Please get over it. I agree that it is the most powerful office in the world and all but come on. He can appear on a late night talk show for petes sake - he's not hosting it he's a guest. This is ridiculous that it should create such an uproar.

BethCooks4U said:
Please get over it. I agree that it is the most powerful office in the world and all but come on. He can appear on a late night talk show for petes sake - he's not hosting it he's a guest. This is ridiculous that it should create such an uproar.

I agree Beth!! I guess we know who voted for McCain...

vwpamperedchef said:

...or listens to Rush.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I did not vote for him either but I can see why he would be going on. I for one can not stand to watch tv when the president, no matter whom it is, is giving a speech. I automatically turn the station and figure I will get filled in the next few days so why bother. This is just another way to reach out to people whom may have the same feeling, knowing it will not be just all speach talk.

Fluffy215 said:
I did not vote for him either but I can see why he would be going on. I for one can not stand to watch tv when the president, no matter whom it is, is giving a speech. I automatically turn the station and figure I will get filled in the next few days so why bother. This is just another way to reach out to people whom may have the same feeling, knowing it will not be just all speach talk.

Thank you! This is exactly what I think. He is reaching out to people who would never listen to a political speach. He is reaching out to the people so that they will go to their representatives and tell them to get off their high horses and work together! I am talking about BOTH sides of the aisle.

Fluffy215 said:

It will be intresting to see if his comments sound scripted.

BethCooks4U said:
...or listens to Rush.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You should listen to him, too, along with Sean and Mark. You'll get far more news about what is going on in the world than you will ever get from CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC combined.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You should listen to him, too, along with Sean and Mark. You'll get far more news about what is going on in the world than you will ever get from CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC combined.

I do listen to them (well not Mark - I have no clue who he is) and I find them offensive and inflamitory and unwilling to even consider the other side. Rush thinks he's the savior of the republican world (I've heard him say exactly that). :yuck: I don't understand how anyone can take what they say verbatum. They are there to stir the pot and they do a good job of it. Every time I switch to those channels I am amazed that people can even start to believe what's being said.

All news is slanted by whoever is reporting it. It's a viewpoint. Your buddies there go too far and are too full of themselves to even be considered credible.

BethCooks4U said:
I I don't understand how anyone can take what they say verbatum.
All news is slanted by whoever is reporting it. It's a viewpoint.

Yep - exactly what I say....

Sheep - people are just sheep.

I don't listen to Talk Radio.

I do have a mind of my own. An educated, well-informed mind.

It's still undignified.

And if people won't take the time to listen to a presidential speech about the state of our Union, do I really want them voting for what should happen in our country? A State of Union address, or any speech by the President isn't supposed to be entertainment.:rolleyes:

I could not care less about anyone on the Tonight Show, but what really infuriates me is people telling other people to talk about our PC business in Chef's Lounge. DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. Hello!!! It's Chef's Lounge, for goodness sakes. Talk about high horses.

Last edited:
I think you mean you COULDN'T care less... I find it amusing that we hold our politicians to such high standards when really they're just people like us. Sure, they're more powerful but they're still just people, not superheros.

I can't believe I just wasted 2 minutes reading all this. Really?? Who cares??

vwpamperedchef said:

I voted for McCain and I'm not ashamed to say so... I would vote for him again as long as the oposition supported abortion and embryonic stem cell research!

and, yes, it INFURIATES me, too!!!

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I don't usually get involved in any discussions on CS that have anything remotely to do with politics...not because I think we should "only" talk about PC, because I think it's nice that people can discuss other topics besides PC here, but because I have about a million other ways to talk politics and I just choose to keep my views to myself here (most of the time).

I have mixed feelings about whether or not the POTUS should appear on a nighttime talk show...on one hand, he's reaching out to Americans who might not otherwise take the time to listen to him on news stations, etc. It may very well be the first time a sitting president's ever done something like Leno. Times are a-changin', and it's something we have to get used to because it'll never be the way it "always was."

But on the other hand, consider this if you haven't already...travel for something like this is insane. These days it costs approximately $1 million for the POTUS to make a trip anywhere using Air Force One. Because they have to fly him by Marine One (helicopter) to the airstrip, with two other choppers flying alongside...then Air Force One's operating costs (fuel, etc.) and Air Force Two as well, plus a cargo plane to carry anything else that is needed (because the limo doesn't get across the country by driving). I'm not saying past presidents haven't done similar things, but the economy hasn't been this bad in years. I just don't think this is the time to throw another $1 million in the pot just to appear on a talk show. Regardless of my political beliefs, I think the money could be better spent in other ways.

ChefBeckyD said:

It's still undignified.

And if people won't take the time to listen to a presidential speech about the state of our Union, do I really want them voting for what should happen in our country? A State of Union address, or any speech by the President isn't supposed to be entertainment.:rolleyes:

Very good point. Instead of raising the bar of our country, we just continue to bring it down to the lowest common denominator.

On the other hand, maybe we'll be spared from Nancy's cheerleading antics if it's not addressed to congress :)

BethCooks4U said:
I do listen to them (well not Mark - I have no clue who he is) and I find them offensive and inflamitory and unwilling to even consider the other side. Rush thinks he's the savior of the republican world (I've heard him say exactly that). :yuck: I don't understand how anyone can take what they say verbatum. They are there to stir the pot and they do a good job of it. Every time I switch to those channels I am amazed that people can even start to believe what's being said.All news is slanted by whoever is reporting it. It's a viewpoint. Your buddies there go too far and are too full of themselves to even be considered credible.
Do you also find Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, Charlie Gibson, Meredith Vieira et. al. to be "too full of themselves to be considered credible?" The difference is that everyone knows Rush, Sean and Mark are purveyors of opinion and they are marketed that way. Couric, Lauer, Gibson, Vieira and just about everyone at the PBS News Hour are also a purveyors of opinion but they masquerade as objective journalists.How about Keith Olbermann? Personally, I can't believe that Olbermann even believes even half of the baloney he spews and does it just to inflame people, a la Ann Coulter.

Before he left for California, the president spoke to reporters on the South Lawn of the White House. He voiced confidence in Geithner, took responsibility for the AIG bonus fiasco and said that public anger was justified.

"I don't want to quell anger." Obama said. "I think people are right to be angry. I'm angry. What I want to do, though, is channel our anger in a constructive way."

What do you know? The angry mob has something in common with the President after all. Now if they can only work on finding solutions...

That whole situation seems a little scripted. How can the man who pushes "accountability" with every chance give away $$$$$$ with out any type of explanation of how it will be spent. This just seems like another opportunity for things to be spun that he really does "understand" the common guy. However, in relating, he comes across very green.

loreo said:
That whole situation seems a little scripted. How can the man who pushes "accountability" with every chance give away $$$$$$ with out any type of explanation of how it will be spent. This just seems like another opportunity for things to be spun that he really does "understand" the common guy. However, in relating, he comes across very green.

I really like you.

I heard tonight that he made a "joke" about the Special Olympics...guess we should know WHY he has to use a telepromter all the time, was that scripted? That should make for some interesting talk tomorrow.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Do you also find Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, Charlie Gibson, Meredith Vieira et. al. to be "too full of themselves to be considered credible?"

The difference is that everyone knows Rush, Sean and Mark are purveyors of opinion and they are marketed that way. Couric, Lauer, Gibson, Vieira and just about everyone at the PBS News Hour are also a purveyors of opinion but they masquerade as objective journalists.

How about Keith Olbermann? Personally, I can't believe that Olbermann even believes even half of the baloney he spews and does it just to inflame people, a la Ann Coulter.
Actually I do not find Katie, Matt, Charlie and Meredith to be all that credible. And I don't care for Keith either. You assume a lot about what I think.

Life and opinions are not black and white.

ChefBeckyD said:

It's still undignified.

Amen! I can't imagine why anyone would think they have the right to complain or whine about ANYTHING related to our country or the state of other countries if they refuse to listen to what's being said straight from the horses mouth.

That being said it is integral to listen to other viewpoints as well. We are arriving at a very interesting and scary time in our country and in the world. Waking up and seeing what is really going on will be important for the well being of self, family, nation and world. Be informed, no matter if it's on late night television or "We interupt this program..."

I didn't find out in time that he was scheduled for Jay Leno, but I would have watched if I'd known. When I first learned about it, it reminded me of the old Fireside Chats that my parents spoke of. I wonder if that seemed undignified at the time? I've never liked political talk shows. I do, however, try to hear the State of the Union and such like.

For the record, all my candidates dropped out of the race...:(

Here's the list of full episodes of the Tonight Show. As of right now, tonight's is not listed. Hopefully it will be on in the morning. I'm anxious to see Pres. Obama's interview b/c I didn't get to see it. http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/video/categories/season-17/35905/

I stayed up and watched it. I thought he did very well. He definitely kept his dignity. He was light but he also said serious things. Jay was funny - almost flustered and very polite. Keven even wore a suit.

<h2>1. Is President Obama's appearance on 'Tonight Show' a big deal or not?</h2><p>It depends on individual opinions and perspectives. Some may see it as a big deal because it is not common for a sitting president to appear on a late-night talk show. Others may not see it as significant since President Obama has made several appearances on TV shows during his presidency.</p><h2>2. Doesn't our president have better & more important things to be doing?</h2><p>The president's schedule is carefully managed and planned by his team. While some may argue that there are more pressing matters for the president to attend to, it is important for a leader to connect with the public and engage in different platforms, including entertainment shows.</p><h2>3. Why is the president appearing on a show like 'Tonight Show'?</h2><p>The president's appearance on 'Tonight Show' is a way for him to reach a wider audience and connect with people in a more relaxed and casual setting. It also allows him to discuss important issues and policies in a more approachable manner.</p><h2>4. Is this just a publicity stunt?</h2><p>The president's appearance on 'Tonight Show' is not just for the sake of publicity. It is an opportunity for him to communicate with the public and share his thoughts on current events and policies. It also allows him to humanize himself and connect with people in a more personal way.</p><h2>5. Is it appropriate for the president to appear on a late-night talk show?</h2><p>Many believe that it is appropriate for the president to appear on a late-night talk show as it gives him a chance to reach a wide audience and discuss important issues in a more relaxed and entertaining way. However, there may be differing opinions on the appropriateness of this depending on personal beliefs and values.</p>

1. Is President Obama's appearance on 'Tonight Show' a big deal or not?

It depends on individual opinions and perspectives. Some may see it as a big deal because it is not common for a sitting president to appear on a late-night talk show. Others may not see it as significant since President Obama has made several appearances on TV shows during his presidency.

2. Doesn't our president have better & more important things to be doing?

The president's schedule is carefully managed and planned by his team. While some may argue that there are more pressing matters for the president to attend to, it is important for a leader to connect with the public and engage in different platforms, including entertainment shows.

3. Why is the president appearing on a show like 'Tonight Show'?

The president's appearance on 'Tonight Show' is a way for him to reach a wider audience and connect with people in a more relaxed and casual setting. It also allows him to discuss important issues and policies in a more approachable manner.

4. Is this just a publicity stunt?

The president's appearance on 'Tonight Show' is not just for the sake of publicity. It is an opportunity for him to communicate with the public and share his thoughts on current events and policies. It also allows him to humanize himself and connect with people in a more personal way.

5. Is it appropriate for the president to appear on a late-night talk show?

Many believe that it is appropriate for the president to appear on a late-night talk show as it gives him a chance to reach a wide audience and discuss important issues in a more relaxed and entertaining way. However, there may be differing opinions on the appropriateness of this depending on personal beliefs and values.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebbieSAChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
gingertannery
  • chefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
mbh06
Replies