• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Pampered Chef's Stoneware Getting Thinner and Lighter?

In summary, a new customer says that the stoneware is thinner and lighter than what she has purchased in the past, and that PC should be reporting this to HO.
Amanda_RI
Gold Member
I've been a consultant for 8.5 years. The bar pans I own are all at least 6 years old.

A customer ordered 2 bar pans in August. The first one broke immediately, and was replaced. The 2nd one just broke, and I put in an adjustment.

She insists that they feel thinner and lighter than stoneware that she has purchased in the past (she's been an avid PC fan for 2 decades). I told her that I would call PC just to ask if anything has changed in how the flat stones are manufactured, and of course, they said NO.

What do you think? Have you seen a difference?

I can tell you that I bought a DCB back when they were first introduced in cranberry, and I just bought another in the taupe...there is a noticeable difference in the thickness and the weight of the stone.

I have 2 Small Bar Pans; one is about 5-6 years old and the other was purchased within the last year. I weighed them both on my kitchen scale and the newer one is might lighter than the old one. So there is the proof.

All of these reports need to be reported to HO- the person to speak to is Syeed.

I have spoken to him many times regarding issues like this- he is very good-

and YES I too believe things are "different" my original S/S bowls weigh heavier than the ones now in the catalog- and my stoneware too-

Call Cust service and ask to speak to a guy name SYEED. He will help

fyi... stoneware can weigh different amounts based on the season too.. absorbs water in the hot humid weather. I was in the HO distribution center and was told that by one of the managers

PCJenni said:
fyi... stoneware can weigh different amounts based on the season too.. absorbs water in the hot humid weather. I was in the HO distribution center and was told that by one of the managers

But how does that explain someone with two of the same piece, one older than the other but both in the same house for a while, weighing different amounts?

I would expect a seasoned stone to weigh more. Stones are seasoned by oil which when there's enough of it, will add weight.

Since they are also molded clay, you may find slight differences just in the weight due to manufacturing.

I think they are thinner, too. A new customer also said the stoneware is thinner than what she has. All companies are finding ways to save money; our stoneware supplier could be doing the same.

They seem to be a different color of clay too. I hope they will still work as well, since I sold a bunch to friends last month. I love my stoneware but would actually like it to be lighter, if it won't compromise it on the breakage. It does get heavy!

Well, at least she isn't going crazy. :) I may try to call Syeed, but I have to be honest, I'm not sure what to tell THIS customer.

If you are going to call HO, talk to them first, then contact the customer. Syeed or whoever may give you a better explanation.
My guess would be that the manufacturer from whom PC purchases the product is the one calling the shots. If they continued making the products at the level of quality/thickness, etc they were years ago, then the prices would have been much higher. Things can't stay the same forever from a price perspective- we all know that these days. But in order for it to be affordable to still sell, they had to make some changes probably. PC has been known in the past to drop a product if the quality became to sub-standard or the cost too high for good quality. (Chillzane products comes to mind).

Teresa LM said:
They seem to be a different color of clay too. I hope they will still work as well, since I sold a bunch to friends last month. I love my stoneware but would actually like it to be lighter, if it won't compromise it on the breakage. It does get heavy!

I agree with this, too. Definately a different mix of stoneware...

For the more seasoned consultants that were around when the Chef's Tongs came out, compare your original to a new one. The new one is smaller, lighter and the steel handle part is thinner.

I know for a fact that when I first got my original cranberry DCB it was very heavy..the base and the lid! I got a 2nd one sometime later and it is much lighter..I like the lighter one much better. I just figured that they were perfected the baker over time and made it lighter...which I would think customers would appreciate!

I have the original roasting Pan-

I got another to donate to a cause- I took it out of the box to show its beauty- and I immediately noticed that the sides looked shorter-
pulled out my old one and what do you know- its about 1mm or 1 1/2 mm shorter than the original.

This is wrong- I HATE that they are doing this- I feel when I show my older products I a misleading the public - get me MAD!

nancycookspc said:
I have the original roasting Pan-

I got another to donate to a cause- I took it out of the box to show its beauty- and I immediately noticed that the sides looked shorter-
pulled out my old one and what do you know- its about 1mm or 1 1/2 mm shorter than the original.

This is wrong- I HATE that they are doing this- I feel when I show my older products I a misleading the public - get me MAD!

Although I cannot afford it, I was always lead to believe we were to be showing the updated products at our shows and events. I do my best to keep up, but I really didn't get into this business thinking I would be spending more than what I made.... My tax person brings me the bad news every year. So glad this is only a part time job....even thought I spend more than part time working the business. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for all the new friends I have made, both consultants and customers and I am thankful to the way the products change my kitchen.

What is thinner, lighter stoneware?

Thinner, lighter stoneware is a type of baking and cooking dish made from natural clay that has been thinly pressed and fired at a high temperature. This results in a lighter and more durable stoneware that is perfect for everyday use in the kitchen.

Is it safe to use in the oven?

Yes, thinner, lighter stoneware is safe to use in the oven. In fact, it is designed to withstand high temperatures up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, making it perfect for baking, roasting, and broiling.

How does thinner, lighter stoneware compare to traditional stoneware?

Thinner, lighter stoneware is similar to traditional stoneware in terms of its durability and ability to distribute heat evenly. However, it is lighter and easier to handle, making it more convenient for everyday use in the kitchen.

Can I use metal utensils on thinner, lighter stoneware?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on thinner, lighter stoneware. This can cause scratches and damage to the surface of the stoneware. It is best to use wooden, silicone, or plastic utensils instead.

How do I clean thinner, lighter stoneware?

Thinner, lighter stoneware is dishwasher safe, but it is recommended to hand wash it with warm soapy water to prolong its lifespan. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers, as they can damage the stoneware. Let it cool down before cleaning and do not place it directly from the oven to cold water, as this can cause it to crack.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• HeatherP19
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • LeslieSGI
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • MrsCaleb