• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Thinking About Tossing in the White Flag...

In summary, the expert recommends continuing to do what they're doing and being patient. There are ways to break out of the circle of people who don't interest in PC, like talking to people you don't know, doing a fundraiser for a local sports team, and dropping catalogs around.
Jmioni
I seriously don't know what else I can do to break out of this circle I'm in. I've tried booths, sales, promotions, individual orders, boutiques, Pamper Your Business flyers, I bought the car decals, I carry a tote with PC all over it, I have hundreds of business cards circulating, I've exhausted my friends/family, I've literally spent hundreds of dollars just trying to break out of the cirlce - I'm so frustrated and I don't know what I should do - one of those should I just shoot the lame horse or make him walk to the vet on his bad leg?

Help???? :confused:

Hey! Chin up!! Just keep plugging away. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on this. It's mostly work of mouth. I have only been doing this for 2.5 years and I am just beginning to really make good money at it. I thought I had to have everything and bring everything to a show. It makes it really tough and I have noticed that they really don't look at it. They look at what I am using and the catalog. Just use the internet and facebook since they are free. Send out the specials as soon as they are introduced to everyone on your list. It takes time to get your name out there! Be patient!

Don't give up now. You are doing a lot of things right.
There's a saying "that most people give up just before success."

Don't let it get you down. Just keep up the things you are doing and sooner or
later, they will pay off.

Hugs {{}}

Part of my problem, is keeping myself active. I was only a couple hundred away from meeting the $1250 within 90 days, then my husband had a bad crash, I went inactive for two months, had a $600 November thanks to my mother in law, and absolutely nothing for December. How do I keep active without spending my own money? :(

(P.S. Perhaps I should mention that the intial $1000 was thanks to my mother in law as well - I literally cannot break away from the circle of people I know that have NO interest in PC at all)

I had a rough year last year, so I know what you mean. My sister was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer June 1 and passed away August 18. I spent every minute I could with her and couldn't believe I couldn't get a pass for a couple of months without going inactive. She actually was my biggest supporter when I started and had my first party. I started back slow and, as I said, things just slowly picked up for me. Just hang in there and don't give up!! It can be such fun!!

Call people. Get on the phone. Do you have catalogs? Heck, you could do a show with just the stuff you need to demonstrate (that's it - NO extra) and just a couple catalogs (they can share!)
Don't give up!

I don't have any other people to call. I have catalogs, just no one to give them to. No one even interested in having a catalog show, much less a home show - believe me when I say I have completely exhausted my circle to the point some have even asked that I stop asking. :(

Have you gone to businesses? Do you have a hairdresser? Dentist? A few years ago I bought a PC pullover jacket from Merrill and just went to the mall looking for contacts wearing that jacket and handing out mini catalogs! I got alot of business from that!
Do you have any friends who are teachers? Work in hospitals? Try to get around work areas that have alot of people in them.
Talk to everyone you DON'T know! When you go to the grocery store, talk to the cashier, etc.
You really need to think outside of the box, and yes, it's true, you WILL exhaust your friends and family!
How about offering to do a fundraiser for a local sports team? Wrestling, gymnastics, dance, etc. Any girl scouts in your area? Offer to do a cooking show to earn a patch.

Try dropping catalogs places. I would suggest old ones if you have them, but new ones will work if you are thinking you will just quit and chunk them anyways. Drop one off everywhere you go. Don't expect to get business out of all of them, but people do love PC, and if someone sees your catalog somewhere it might remind them that they need to order something, and could turn into a show. All it takes is one show to get out of your circle.

Before I started doing PC, I was condiering a different MLM business. I asked an accountant I trust if she knew many people who were successful at direct sales. She said it usually took them at least 2 years to get it going.

There are a LOT of people out there who have no interest in doing a show, but would like to order one or two items. Keep a list of these folks and tell them you'll give them a call when you have enough to submit a catalog show. Save them up. Contact them when you have enough for that $150 catty show and submit it with yourself as host to stay active. You should be able to gather $150 inorders in 6 months!

Before my dental appt today, I printed out the "hosts never pay full price flyer" and the January specials. I tucked them in a catalog, and when I checked out, I pulled it out of my bag and said, "Here. I am a Pampered Chef consultant. Let me give you a catalog to look through. When you're done, just put it in the breakroom for others to look at." She said she needed to order a food chopper. As she looked through the catalog, I mentioned that she can get the chopper free by hosting a show after the holidays. I pointed out the flyers and asked for her information. She is a potential January booking. It has taken me a LONG time to get that comfortable, but it works. You may just have to fake it til you make it.
Re-make your FRANKS list, and cross pollinate it. FRANKS is friends, relatives, acquaintances, neighbors, those you know through your kids, and those you know through your spouse. Cross pollinating it means that you go one step further. Look at the friends of your relatives and the relatives of your friends... it opens up another circle.

I really believe that the secret to success in any venture is serving others. In my business I do use all of those suggestions from my director that you mentioned above (booths, out and about, FRANKS, List of 100, Customer Care Calls, etc.). However, there is one thing that I believe makes a big difference....I focus on serving others over sales. I love sales and I want sales but if this is my primary goal then people see this in my eyes with $$ signs and they are turned off by it. What they see in my eyes is interest in them and if their interests and mine are compatible then GREAT we can do business and it's a win/win situation. I have had many people tell me they chose to do a show with me because I was "not the high pressuring type". I guess this comes from REALLY being annoyed when people do not respect my boundaries and don't LISTEN to what I say...so I can't do that to others. I hope this helps

Make contacts at businesses like crazy! Do fundraiser shows. Half of my business has stemmed from one fundraiser I did in my little town. I've had at least 10 parties as a result of that show....and they're still going. All it takes is one show to get outside your circle. Book 3 shows from that show, and from there on, you're golden! Don't give up yet! You can't expect your business to take off like a rocket when you're just starting. Ask any small business owner and they'll tell you the same. Good luck!

Just get out there and meet as many NEW people as possible! And remember too, that "No" is not a dirty word. You will have to hear it many, many times in order to get to the yes's. It sounds like you will be kind of starting over though with your contacts so please don't be discouraged. And try not to spend your own money doing this...

What better time to "start over" than in the New Year, right? :) Best of luck!

Here is something I do when I want to boost my biz and I teach my team to do when they are just starting or they need a pickup:

Have 2 Open Houses within a few days-sending out invites once
Have a friend or family member have a show(trying to invite at least some people you don't mutually know)
Have a business aquaintance have a show
Get someone local to have a Catalog show
Get someone out-of-town to have a Catalog show

This is not my original idea, it belongs to someone much more creative than myself-LOL:blushing:

This has all been really helpful. I'm in the exact same boat as Jmioni. So reading all these posts has been a help to me also. Thanks!!

How about approaching one LAST time your friends and family with this.

"I know you are tired of seeing me coming to you asking you to host a party for me. I can respect that and value our relationship, so this will be the last time I approach you about my business. I am not asking you to host a party. How you can help me is just see if one of your friends is interested in hosting. If you would be willing to do that for me I would really appreciate it and give you a free spice (or whatever you want to offer) at her party. Thank you for listening."

That lets her know right of the bat that she won't have to run the other way when she sees you coming. It also gets her off the hook for hosting. It may help you. I would not call those people who have already asked you not to contact them though. You have to respect their request.

Change 1 thing you're currently doing. And change that 1 thing for the next month. If that doesn't work, then move onto the next 1 thing that you'll try changing...You can't "do it all"...especially ALL of the time! Your time is precious!

Try changing the wording you're using...are you sounding desperate? How do you come across? Do you and your guests have fun at your shows? (very important) Take or re-take on-line classed or possibly a teleclass...remember...change 1 thing at a time-don't "use" all your resources ALL AT ONCE.

I'm with Beth, I think you are trying too many things. Maybe it is time to start with a clean slate and try one change at a time.

1) Consider your market - are you the only one of your friends who likes Pampered Chef? Are there lots of consultants in your area that already have a corner on the market? Who is YOUR targeted audience? Stay at home Moms? Grilling Guys? Working moms? College kids? What group do you best relate to and are THEY interested in Pampered chef?

2) Consider your finances. It sounds like you've overspent in dollars. Did you throw money at anything that looked like it might work, or did you set a budget and determine how to spend your $$s. This time, set a limit to your expenses and figure out the best way to put the money to best use.

3) Consider your resources. Chef Success is a great place, congrats for coming here for ideas and encouragement. What other resources do you have for support? Look upline, not just your recruiter, but your director, other consultants, etc. Why not see if someone is up to helping you with your show. Maybe they will be willing to share bookings if you help at a party. This could help you break out of your circle!

4) Consider your market (again). Now that you have thought about who you relate to and who you think is interested in PC, try looking for groups, online and IRL for connections.. make NEW friends and then bring in PC.

5) Consider your family. What are your goals? How does this impact your family (for better or worse)? What do you want to get out of PC? What are some baby steps to get you to your first goal?

6) Create a stopping point. Discuss what would be the END of PC with your husband and family. What would be the circumstances that create a stopping point for you? I know this isn't a happy subject, but I have personally thought about it prior to joining and I revisit them regularly. My stopping points are: 1. It's not fun anymore 2. I lose money (ie. I don't put in anymore than I get out.) 3. My husband asks me to stop because it is interfering with our lives. --- To me, it is important to be able to say "I can stop at any time" at the very beginning. Strange as it may sound, it really lowered my stress and lessened my worry of failure.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Dottie, what a well thought out and thorough response!! Awesome!

1. What does "Tossing in the White Flag" mean?

"Tossing in the White Flag" is an expression that means giving up or surrendering in a situation.

2. How can I avoid feeling like I need to give up?

It's important to prioritize and delegate tasks, take breaks when needed, and ask for help when feeling overwhelmed. Also, try to focus on the positive aspects of the situation and remind yourself of your strengths and abilities.

3. Is it okay to give up if I'm feeling burnt out?

Feeling burnt out is a sign that you may need to take a step back and reevaluate your priorities and self-care. It's okay to take a break or ask for help, but remember to also communicate your needs and set boundaries to prevent burnout in the future.

4. How do I know when it's time to give up?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It's important to consider your own mental and physical well-being, the potential consequences of giving up, and whether there are other options available. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a trusted friend or mentor.

5. Can I bounce back from giving up?

Yes, it is possible to bounce back from giving up. It's important to reflect on the reasons why you gave up and learn from the experience. With a positive mindset and determination, you can overcome challenges and achieve your goals in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• grainsmommy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
Replies
Views
batterbowl
Replies
Views
pcchefjane