• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Thinking About Being a Consultant. Now What?

The cluster meetings are monthly group meetings. They are not mandatory, but I would encourage you to attend. You will get TONS of ideas for recipes and your business.
BadGirl
Gold Member
:chef: For years, I've used and loved Pampered Chef products. I hosted a show at the end of September, and with 11 attendees, accumulated over $1,200 in orders, and had four people book PC parties off of my show. My success for this one party has me thinking that this is something that I could do on a part-time basis, as I already have a full-time profession.

So, tell me: What does it take to become a PC consultant? My PC rep encouraged me to do it, but at the time, I didn't think that I'd have the time to commit to it faithfully. What is the minimum amount of time I'd need to put in to it? Start up costs? Mandatory meetings, etc?

I feel that I could be pretty successful at it, as I know a LOT of people in my community (large family, lots of work associates, school chums, etc.), I LOVE to cook and entertain, and I have a pretty enthusiastic demeanor.

Seriously, if I go through the PC catalogue, I can see that I have in excess of 75 different products that I use in my own kitchen.

I'm intrigued, but don't want to do this if it takes too much time out of my already-hectic schedule. Obviously, the more time you put in to it, the better your results. Having said that, I have no intention of being some Super Human sales consultant, so I don't need to push myself too much.

The time involved is really up to you. To be a very successful consultant, PC recommends 3-2-1 = 3 contacts a day, 2 shows a week, 1 recruit a month. It isn't mandatory, but it is a good rule to work on for a successful business. They consider 8 shows a week to be full time. You could do as little as one show every two months and stay qualified - you need to reach $200 in sales every two months to stay qualified. There are no mandatory meetings, but cluster meetings can help you succeed.

Start up is $155, but right now we have a promotion going where if you have another party, a larger-than-usual amount your free hostess product amount can go toward your kit.

The wonderful thing about PC is that it is your business and you decide how much time to put into it. You are exactly correct in saying the more time, the better the results....but you are still in charge of the results you want.

Your rep probably told you that the start up cost is $155 unless you take advantage of the wonderful kit credit offer right now and host another show where you could use up to $100 of your Free Product Value and join for $55. There aren't any hidden start up costs as your kit will contain everything you need for your first few shows. It is entirely up to you on whether or not you want to purchase business cards (see Vista Print.com for free cards) and other marketing materials.

When I joined, I purchased bits at a time as my business (and my commission check) grew. I still add things when I want and when I feel it will help my business.

As far as "mandatory meetings," your cluster will most likely have one meeting a month plus possibly some new consultant training. None of the meetings are mandatory but they do help to share ideas and boost your enthusiasm. Also there are wonderful training classes on Consultant's Corner, both online and tele-classes that you can do at your own speed.

I put different amounts of time into my business depending on my schedule. The minimum number of shows I've done per month is two (and I count each show as about 5 to 6 hours of work including host coaching, prep at home, the show itself, and closing). If your average show is $500, for two shows you could make an extra $200 a month for about 10-12 hours of work...not a bad deal.

And you've found this site where you can get invaluable help from both new and seasoned consultants!

koima said:
They consider 8 shows a week to be full time.

It's actually 8 shows a month. 8 shows a week?? :eek: Can you imagine the time it would take?? Although the commission check would be fantastic! :D

If you have a hectic schedule/life - then just make sure to be in control of your calendar. You would pick the nights you have Events/Activities, and then pick a few nights a week to do your Shows.

Cluster Meetings are monthly group meetings - although they are not mandatory - BUT I would encourage you to attend. You will get TONS of ideas for recipes and your business. They are really supportive, encouraging, and inspiring.

I remember reading that for a New Consultant, spending between 3-4 hours (or 4-5 like Kathy said) hours of work is a good guideline. It will be quicker as you get into a routine. :) As Kathy said, the time includes Host Coaching to prepare for Shows, computing information, getting Host Packet ready, etc.

I think you are right. You OBVIOUSLY LOVE the products and have a group of friends who do as well. This would be a great start! You seem like you already recognize ALL the opportunities for business around you, as well.

Give it a try! :)

Thank you, everyone, for your kind responses and words of encouragement. The idea of being a consultant is really exciting for me, and I'm stoked because of my own party success.

I'll consider it in the next month or two, and make my decision in the February timeframe. My husband starts his Doctoral program in January, and I'll need to evaluate my time restrictions then. Having a two-year old also requires a great deal of my time and energy. I hope I have the time to become a PC Consultant; it looks to be so much fun!

It is a lot of fun and you sound like you would have a great time with it! Obviously, feel free to ask questions of us on this site, look around at the other threads to get a deeper feel for the business, and most definitely, keep us updated on your decision process!

One great thing that I do to help with my calendar is I sit down and write all the things I need to do first (appts, events, sports, etc). Then I take pink sticky notes and mark the days I want to do shows. First, it's a great visual when someone wants to book a show and second, it's a way to work PC around your life not the other way around. I also only mark the first two weeks of the month first and as those fill up or the month moves on, I move the stickies down to the last two months. It also helps when someone wants to reschedule. It's very easy to move a sticky note around or to the bottom of your calendar as you follow up with the host.

sounds like you have a good idea of what it would take already.. there's no harm in trying !! you might like it and sounds like you have a base already to become successful with contacts...

oh and I just have to say on a side note... I'm looking for a recruit!?!? :D

You all know i had too.. I have Disney on my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck in your decision making. Everyone's advice here is right. You work around your free time. Also, to stay active you need to submit $200 in sales every other month which from what I read from you should not really be an issue.

You have nothing really to lose and you can do catalog shows too and once you get your website you can have online shows, and after qualifying you can have the wedding registry and outlet orders.

Think about this more and signing up now with the great promotion of the discounts to sign up and holiday shoppers sounds wonderful if you can!

pamperedharriet said:
Good luck in your decision making. Everyone's advice here is right. You work around your free time. Also, to stay active you need to submit $200 in sales every other month which from what I read from you should not really be an issue.

You have nothing really to lose and you can do catalog shows too and once you get your website you can have online shows, and after qualifying you can have the wedding registry and outlet orders.

Think about this more and signing up now with the great promotion of the discounts to sign up and holiday shoppers sounds wonderful if you can!

I was thinking the same thing. By waiting until February, you are prolonging what you could start now to get your business started!

I do only 1-2 shows a month...I'll see if I can quickly find a link to my "activities" because it takes to long to type them. I am Queen of Being Busy!The nice thing about PC is you make it fit your life, not run it.

koima said:
The time involved is really up to you. To be a very successful consultant, PC recommends 3-2-1 = 3 contacts a day, 2 shows a week, 1 recruit a month. It isn't mandatory, but it is a good rule to work on for a successful business. They consider 8 shows a week to be full time. You could do as little as one show every two months and stay qualified - you need to reach $200 in sales every two months to stay qualified. There are no mandatory meetings, but cluster meetings can help you succeed.

Start up is $155, but right now we have a promotion going where if you have another party, a larger-than-usual amount your free hostess product amount can go toward your kit.

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
The wonderful thing about PC is that it is your business and you decide how much time to put into it. You are exactly correct in saying the more time, the better the results....but you are still in charge of the results you want.

Your rep probably told you that the start up cost is $155 unless you take advantage of the wonderful kit credit offer right now and host another show where you could use up to $100 of your Free Product Value and join for $55. There aren't any hidden start up costs as your kit will contain everything you need for your first few shows. It is entirely up to you on whether or not you want to purchase business cards (see Vista Print.com for free cards) and other marketing materials.

When I joined, I purchased bits at a time as my business (and my commission check) grew. I still add things when I want and when I feel it will help my business.

As far as "mandatory meetings," your cluster will most likely have one meeting a month plus possibly some new consultant training. None of the meetings are mandatory but they do help to share ideas and boost your enthusiasm. Also there are wonderful training classes on Consultant's Corner, both online and tele-classes that you can do at your own speed.

I put different amounts of time into my business depending on my schedule. The minimum number of shows I've done per month is two (and I count each show as about 5 to 6 hours of work including host coaching, prep at home, the show itself, and closing). If your average show is $500, for two shows you could make an extra $200 a month for about 10-12 hours of work...not a bad deal.

And you've found this site where you can get invaluable help from both new and seasoned consultants!

wadesgirl said:
[/B]

I was thinking the same thing. By waiting until February, you are prolonging what you could start now to get your business started!
I know, I know, I know.

But with my husband starting school in Jan (it's an intensive year-long program that will have him commuting 2 hours each eay every Saturday!), and one night per week, I had really wanted to savor our last month of "Family Time" before his hectic schedule begins. Also, I will be coordinating/hosting a company party for over 300 people in December, and with the holidays.......

I know what you're thinking: "You're just making excuses. Just DO IT!"

Let me consult with hubby, and I'll let you know of my decision. :blushing:

Jess_K said:
oh and I just have to say on a side note... I'm looking for a recruit!?!? :D

Oh, we were all thinking it! And I responded first!!! :D

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
Oh, we were all thinking it! And I responded first!!! :D

I wouldn't dare say that BECAUSE her consultant did mention the business to her. Her consultant gets dibs!

janetupnorth said:
I wouldn't dare say that BECAUSE her consultant did mention the business to her. Her consultant gets dibs!

Which is why I didn't say anything when I responded...BUT, just in case she decides to go with one of us fabulous ladies here on CS, I wanted to be sure that my first response was noted!! :D :p

Another post at a later time:http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/how-many-have-another-business-besides-pc-43993/#post550999As you can see, I've stayed equally or more busy doing PC. It is a nice outlet. I waited until I finished my master's degree to start. Make sure you decide and get a good first month lined up. Don't jump in fast and wish you had more time to line up shows. Decide and then book those shows then sign. Lots more free stuff that way!

BadGirl said:
I know, I know, I know.

But with my husband starting school in Jan (it's an intensive year-long program that will have him commuting 2 hours each eay every Saturday!), and one night per week, I had really wanted to savor our last month of "Family Time" before his hectic schedule begins. Also, I will be coordinating/hosting a company party for over 300 people in December, and with the holidays.......

I know what you're thinking: "You're just making excuses. Just DO IT!"

Let me consult with hubby, and I'll let you know of my decision. :blushing:

Congrats on considering this awesome business! I say just gather as much information as you can, talk with your DH and weigh the options. As others have said, you should consider doing it now rather than later because think of how much sooner you can build up your customer base. Especially during the busiest selling season (now) and the upcoming AWESOME host special (January-but February is great too).

I know people who are extremely busy and do PC. I have found that the people who have extremely busy calendars and are juggling many, many things are GREAT at it!! You already know how to juggle, so having one more task to do would likely fit right in.:):)

But, you obviously have to do what's best for you and your family. I can tell you will love it though, being the big fan you are!! It's an awesome business. Enjoy searching around on these boards because you'll get tons of input, ideas and inspiration. This is a great group!!! Let us know what you decide.

By the way, what will your DH be going to school for?

ChefJoyJ said:
It's actually 8 shows a month. 8 shows a week?? :eek: Can you imagine the time it would take?? Although the commission check would be fantastic! :D

Clearly a typo on my part!! Sorry about that, yes, 8 shows a MONTH!!

start PC when it fits into your life :)

Looks like you've gotten lots of wonderful advice; good luck with your decision!:)

:blushing: Well, guess what I did yesterday. :blushing:

Yep, I signed up to be a Consultant! :D

I'll need to wait for my kit to arrive, and in the meantime, I'll read up on my literature.

Yesterday I had my first party as a consultant - almost $900 in sales! I have three more parties lined up for December/Jan....I just need to get on the ball and line up more people willing to host for me.

Wish me luck on a successful PC career. :thumbup:

BadGirl said:
:blushing: Well, guess what I did yesterday. :blushing:

Yep, I signed up to be a Consultant! :D

I'll need to wait for my kit to arrive, and in the meantime, I'll read up on my literature.

Yesterday I had my first party as a consultant - almost $900 in sales! I have three more parties lined up for December/Jan....I just need to get on the ball and line up more people willing to host for me.

Wish me luck on a successful PC career. :thumbup:

Congratulations on your first show. That is awesome! Keep up the great work. I look forward to watching your continued success.

Congratulations! What a great first show success, too! :)

Way to go!

pamperedpals said:
Congratulations on your first show. That is awesome! Keep up the great work. I look forward to watching your continued success.

babywings76 said:
Congratulations! What a great first show success, too! :)

wadesgirl said:
Way to go!
Why thank you, all. I really do appreciate the encouragement. I hope I have what it takes to make this a successful venture.

Wow - Congrats! :)

1. What are the benefits of becoming a Pampered Chef consultant?

There are many benefits to becoming a Pampered Chef consultant, including flexible hours, the opportunity to earn income, discounts on products, and the chance to connect with like-minded individuals.

2. How much does it cost to become a consultant?

The cost to become a Pampered Chef consultant is $109, which includes your starter kit with products and business supplies. There are also optional add-ons available at an additional cost.

3. Do I need to have a culinary background to become a consultant?

No, you do not need to have a culinary background to become a Pampered Chef consultant. Our training and support will provide you with all the necessary skills and knowledge to be successful.

4. How much time do I need to commit as a consultant?

The beauty of being a Pampered Chef consultant is that you can set your own schedule and work as much or as little as you'd like. Many consultants have other jobs or commitments and fit in their Pampered Chef business around those.

5. What kind of training and support do you provide for consultants?

We provide comprehensive training and support for our consultants, including online resources, virtual and in-person training events, and a community of fellow consultants who are always willing to help and offer advice. You will also have a dedicated mentor to guide you through your journey as a consultant.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cat2000
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • eberg83
  • General Chat
Replies