• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are Think About It Packets and How Can They Boost Your Direct Sales?

In summary, Julie Anne Jones shares a tool called a "think-about-it" packet that can help direct sellers turn maybes into yeses when it comes to booking parties. By following three simple rules and giving permission to say no, this tool can greatly increase the success rate of booking parties. Julie Anne also offers her article for free use in print or online, as long as credit is given.
esavvymom
Staff member
Read this today on Julie Anne Jones' blog (her details below...had to include it to copy the article. :D) - but I really liked the concept and idea!!http://julieannejones.com/turning-a-maybe-into-a-yes
How many times has someone left one of your parties "on the fence" about booking a party of their own? They haven't exactly said no but they aren't ready to commit by saying yes. And how many times have you followed up with these leads repeatedly without reaching them until you finally give up, feeling rejected and frustrated?If you're like most direct sellers, this is a common chain of events. I hated the fact that I let so many bookings walk out the door this way. So I created a tool (and I 'm going to share it with you today) which virtually eliminated this scenario from my business. Have I got your attention?It's called a think-about-it packet and it's really exactly what it sounds like. You have someone who is on the fence and wants a little more time. Instead of just saying, “I’ll follow up with you next week” and then letting them walk out the door, hand them a think-about-it packet.Here's the best part. My think-about-it packets were exactly the same as my host packets. It was always my intention to book a party with that person when I followed up, and I wanted them to have the packet so they had everything they needed to host a party. The problem was, when I would ask them if they would take one of my host packets, they usually said no because they were afraid that obligated them to actually book the party.So I just called them think-about-it packets instead. A rose by any other name, right? And they would almost always take it if I called it a think about it packet. Then, if they decided not to book the party, because they already had outside order forms and catalogs, I could often talk them into at least doing a catalog party.Here’s how the think about it packet works: Before she left, I’d say, “Tell you what, Marilyn. I want to give you some time to think about it. Would you be willing to take one of my think about it packets? All you have to do is take some time in the next few days, look over all the benefits, and think about doing a party. I’ll follow up in a few days by phone." Here's the important part. I would say to Marilyn, "Now, I just have three rules for my think about it packets." (These are crucial to the success of this tool, and I said them pretty much verbatim when I gave them the packet): 1. Rule number one, you have to actually think about it, for at least a few minutes between now and when I call you.
2. Rule number two, you have to take my call when I follow up. When can we talk for about five minutes in the next few days? (Set up this time firmly on both your calendars so she's expecting your call).
3. Rule number three, if you decide not to book a party, you have to let me down easy. It’s that simple.Now, I believe that people generally do as they're told. I swear! It's a pretty amazing phenomenon. So these rules are key because now she understands how to use the packet. More importantly, she’ll take my call (because it was one of the rules) and I gave her permission to say no. By telling her up front she can decide not to book a party, I take the pressure off of her and she'll pick up the phone when I call.I'm telling you, this works! I'd say 90% of the time, the people who took my think-about-it packets were there at the time we'd agreed upon and actually answered their phones. And about 75% of the time, they booked a party. And that, after all, is the name of the game!WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE FOR FREE IN PRINT OR ONLINE?
You may, as long as you do not alter it and include the following information (with active links as appropriate):Julie Anne Jones is direct sales corporate consultant, coach, and trainer, and the CEO of Julie Anne Jones, Inc. She is known for her authentic and easy-to-use scripting and specializes in specific language and tools for success in direct sales. To learn more about Julie Anne and her products and services, and to read more blog posts, visit her at http://www.julieannejones.com.

Last edited:
Great idea! Thank you so much for sharing this. :D

Thanks for the great article! I'm going to share it with my director.

This is cool. I think a lot of my guests feel pressured when I try to book them. this really sounds like it would take that pressure off. I like it! Thank you for sharing this!

Interesting article - I do something very similar, but I'm more straightforward about it. :)

When someone is hesitating about having a show, or unsure of a date for their party, I suggest that they take the host packet, because if they do decide on a show date, it's much cheaper for me to give them the packet there than to try to mail it to them later. (I'm out a couple bucks in the host packet at the most, and it's now almost $5 to mail a packet later) That makes them feel better about taking it, because most don't want to cause me added expense later. :D

And almost all of them end up booking...especially now that I've started doing what someone else on here suggested (I'm so sorry - I can't remember who it is, but I'm forever grateful for this tip!) That is that I also get them to give me a "penciled in" date, by telling them that I'm pretty busy with my business, and not that good about calling people who want a call back later about booking. I'd hate for them to not get a date during the time period that they are interested in, so why don't we just go ahead, pencil something in, and know that the date is not set in stone and can always be tweaked later. If they are on my calendar as a booking, then I KNOW to call them back! About 90% of the time, I get a penciled in date, and most of the time, that's the date of the actual show!

It works! I now have 10 shows booked for September, 6 booked for October, 3 for November, and 2 each for December and January.

Many of my shows are quite a drive from my house. If the potential host decided not to do a show I'd be driving all over kingdom come picking up partial kits. I have a little booklet that explains everything. Nine out of ten people I give those to decide to host. It's a great tool.

raebates said:
Many of my shows are quite a drive from my house. If the potential host decided not to do a show I'd be driving all over kingdom come picking up partial kits. I have a little booklet that explains everything. Nine out of ten people I give those to decide to host. It's a great tool.

Would you mind sharing your booklet, Rae?

I really like this idea.

This book is awesome. I <3 Rae.

that is awesome!! do you have it in word so I can change some of the verbage?? and contact info, that is if you dont mind....?

Thanks! Love it!

wow. i am SO using this for all my shows!! :D

I thimk it's good to keep in my purse instead of a FULL packet... I mean I'm 7.5 months preggy and my full packet gets kinda heavy... I can print out two or three of those and hand those out on the go. I still think I will do the FULL 'think about it packet' when talking to guests at a show, but those informational things are good for on the go!

Love the booklet. Thanks for sharing!

ChefBeckyD said:
Interesting article - I do something very similar, but I'm more straightforward about it. :)

When someone is hesitating about having a show, or unsure of a date for their party, I suggest that they take the host packet, because if they do decide on a show date, it's much cheaper for me to give them the packet there than to try to mail it to them later. (I'm out a couple bucks in the host packet at the most, and it's now almost $5 to mail a packet later) That makes them feel better about taking it, because most don't want to cause me added expense later. :D

And almost all of them end up booking...especially now that I've started doing what someone else on here suggested (I'm so sorry - I can't remember who it is, but I'm forever grateful for this tip!) That is that I also get them to give me a "penciled in" date, by telling them that I'm pretty busy with my business, and not that good about calling people who want a call back later about booking. I'd hate for them to not get a date during the time period that they are interested in, so why don't we just go ahead, pencil something in, and know that the date is not set in stone and can always be tweaked later. If they are on my calendar as a booking, then I KNOW to call them back! About 90% of the time, I get a penciled in date, and most of the time, that's the date of the actual show!

It works! I now have 10 shows booked for September, 6 booked for October, 3 for November, and 2 each for December and January.

YOU are JAMMIN!!!!!! Congrats! So... do you think it's one per month or two or three that take the packet but don't book? Also, do some who take the packet thinking about a cooking show opt for a catalog show if you can't get them to stay firm on their "penciled" in date? I'm ALL for not mailing the host packets so I like your plan.

quiverfull7 said:
YOU are JAMMIN!!!!!! Congrats! So... do you think it's one per month or two or three that take the packet but don't book? Also, do some who take the packet thinking about a cooking show opt for a catalog show if you can't get them to stay firm on their "penciled" in date? I'm ALL for not mailing the host packets so I like your plan.
Thanks, Di! Well, I had 7 shows in August, and I've had one person who took a packet, but hasn't given me a date yet. It's funny - a couple of them took packets, and before I could say anymore, they said "well, I might as well look at the calendar if I'm taking the packet..." and then they set a date! hahaha!Last night at my own show, I had one lady who said she'd give me a call after I get back from vacation to set something up for Oct or Nov. I just told her that Oct was filling really quickly, so if she was thinking of possibly an Oct. show, she might want to take a quick peek at the calendar and see if there was a date she was interested in. She did, and booked for Oct. 18th, and walked away with her host packet. :)I like doing it this way, because basically, I'm lazy. I want the biggest results with the least amount of work on my part. If I can get the date, and give the host packet at the show, then that means less work for me after the show! :eek:

Thanks for sharing that, Noora. I was on my way out the door and didn't have time to hunt it up.Glad so many of you like it. It's worked well for me.Sorry, I don't have it in Word.

Thanks Rae, it's awesome! I found it in the files section in Publisher... so I used that! Just cause i wanted to change the contact info of course, and some of the words. But thanks so much, I'm printing them out today!

You're welcome, KaiKendall. The booklets are specific to the way I do my shows. Still, I think it's a fairly decent starting point for most consultants.

Thank you for sharing! What a fantastic idea

KaiKendall, where did you go to find Publisher and make the corrections to the phone number and other info to your info?

Thanks, Jan

Thank you for posting this..I am going to use it.

it was in the files section named "think about it" but I attatched what I changed it to.... Thanks again Rae, this was an awesome booklet!

Attachments

• Think About It booklet.pub
    241 KB · Views: 581
I love this. I loved Raes, and I love this one. Both have given me ideas for how to modify it to make it my own.I am so grateful for everything people share. Can't wait to have "shares" of my own!Do you staple it together? How? or do you have it printed?And I notice some people put their consultant number on cards and brochures. What is the advantage of this? Is it helpful to the customers, and if so, how?TIA

Marghi, It used to be required by the company...I assume it still is...but I don't know where it's listed...

BlueMoon said:
I love this. I loved Raes, and I love this one. Both have given me ideas for how to modify it to make it my own.

I am so grateful for everything people share. Can't wait to have "shares" of my own!

Do you staple it together? How? or do you have it printed?

And I notice some people put their consultant number on cards and brochures. What is the advantage of this? Is it helpful to the customers, and if so, how?

TIA

I may have missed it, but I've never seen anything that said we have to list our Consultant ID #, just that we have to identify ourselves as "Independent Consultants".

But I'd say the advantage would be two-fold. Customers who call customer service can use it for returns/adjustments on orders that were handled by us. And if anyone decided to sign-up as a consultant, they'd need your number.

The other reason could be if they wanted to file a complaint about you- they'd probably want that too. ;) But let's stay positive.

Marghi, I do staple it. I do a bit of publication design, so I own a stapler that will handle booklets.

I was going to leave the "cover" the way it is, and then cut all the other sheets in half, and put them in order... I haven't figured out if that'll work yet or not, but was going to try, and staple it that way. I also saved a version that's 8.5x11 and can print those out instead if I needed to

So I just printed out three of the little 1/2 page booklets, one sided, cut in half and stapled together like a booklet, with the cover wrapping around... This was about 5 mins before my son had to be at school, so I grabbed them, threw them in my bag, and went to school. As we were waiting, I had TWO ppl ask me "do you sell pampered chef?" (THANK YOU CAT TOTE!) and I said, well yes I do! Gave them each a catalog and a Think About it packet, and they were thrilled! At least one said she would def book a show for Sept or Oct, I can't wait to follow up! I love having show info in my bag now too it makes it easier to explain a "party" doesn't have to be hard!

Can anyone convert this from a publisher file to a word file? I know it will change the layout some which I would be happy to fix myself but I don't have publisher to even open the document. (I wish I did! I'm totally jealous of those of you that have it!!)

Thanks a million chefs!!

I agree with ksmedic. I just bought the Office Home and Student edition today for my mac and it doesn't have publisher on it. This sounds great and I'd love to try it! Can someone put it into Word?

i have a 'free trial' of publisher it lets u use it like 15 times before you have to pay for it, so I only use it when I HAVE to, and sometimes you can do the trial more than once... go to the microsoft website and u can get the trial. publisher is sold by itself for WAY too much (like $200+) i dont know how to convert. theres also a PDF file, but that doesn't help with changing the contact info

Here is a word document - copied/pasted from the original PDF. I hope this is ok. Please remove it if it is not.I do suggest re-formatting it as need be. :)

Attachments

• thinkaboutit.doc
    142.5 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Thank you, thank you, thank you

Thank you for putting it into a Word format. I GREATLY appreciate it! I just finished printing out what I need to start putting together my host packets and my catalog show packets. Now I can add a "Think about it" pack to have on hand for those times I will need it.

Love the think about it packets!

southernmommie said:
Thank you for putting it into a Word format. I GREATLY appreciate it! I just finished printing out what I need to start putting together my host packets and my catalog show packets. Now I can add a "Think about it" pack to have on hand for those times I will need it.

No problem! I used to be a desktop publisher - and I also have an InDesign version if anyone is interested. :) but obviously word's much easier for everyone - lol.

KaiKendall said:
it was in the files section named "think about it" but I attatched what I changed it to.... Thanks again Rae, this was an awesome booklet!

How do I get it to PRINT in a booklet format?? It just wants to print one page per page and I don't want that, I want it to print 2 pages per page in a booklet form. Does that make sense? Help!! Send me a PM about it. Thanks. :)

emiscookin said:
How do I get it to PRINT in a booklet format?? It just wants to print one page per page and I don't want that, I want it to print 2 pages per page in a booklet form. Does that make sense? Help!! Send me a PM about it. Thanks. :)

Nevermind, I got it. ;) Just change the page format to Landscape and it will print it out like a booklet. In case anyone wanted to know.

1. How can a think-about-it packet help eliminate the scenario of losing potential bookings?

A think-about-it packet is a tool that can be given to someone who is on the fence about booking a party. It allows them to have some time to think about the benefits and decide if they want to host a party. This tool helps prevent the situation of losing a potential booking because the person has more time to consider their decision.

2. What is the difference between a think-about-it packet and a host packet?

The think-about-it packet and host packet are essentially the same. The only difference is the name. People may be more willing to take a think-about-it packet because they do not feel obligated to book a party, unlike with a host packet.

3. What are the three rules for using a think-about-it packet?

The three rules for using a think-about-it packet are:

1. You must take some time to actually think about hosting a party.
  2. You have to set a time to talk with the consultant when she follows up.
  3. If you decide not to book a party, you must politely decline.

4. How effective is the think-about-it packet in booking parties?

The think-about-it packet has been shown to be highly effective in booking parties. Approximately 90% of people who receive the packet will answer the follow-up call, and about 75% of those people will end up booking a party.

5. Can this article be used for free in print or online?

Yes, this article can be used for free in print or online as long as it is not altered and includes the following information:

Julie Anne Jones is a direct sales corporate consultant, coach, and trainer, and the CEO of Julie Anne Jones, Inc. She is known for her authentic and easy-to-use scripting and specializes in specific language and tools for success in direct sales. To learn more about Julie Anne and her products and services, and to read more blog posts, visit her at http://www.julieannejones.com.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • lindsaym
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pcjulie