• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some must-do activities in Chicago during a National Conference?

In summary, my sister suggests going to the Navy Pier, the Han**** Tower, the Cheesecake Factory, and the Shedd Aquarium.
Trish1953
Silver Member
My sister, who lives and works in Chicago, suggests these activities while at National Conference:

If you want to see how the other half lives, walk along the Magnificent Mile--a mile (or so) of all the glitzy shops you can think of. Good window shopping. Also, Navy Pier is a fairly close cab ride--shops and rides (the Ferris wheel is famous).

Also, a great dinner place is at the top of the Han**** Tower, which should get you some good views. Oops! I forgot this famous Tower might be interpreted as a naughty word! Sorry!

Trish:)
Wave 1:cool:

Yeah, it's neat to walk along the magnificant mile. We did that last year; it was fun just to look!
Also, the Navy Pier was walking distance from the Sheraton. That's where we stayed last year; wanted to go to the pier but couldn't make it. We're at the Palmer Hilton this year, will have to wait & see if it's walking distance or not. We're also going to the Shedd Aquarium.
I'm wave 1 too:D

Last year our cluster and several other took a trolley tour of the city. It was really cool. It made me really pissed at my family though.

I have a ton of aunts and uncles that live in Chicago and we have spent so many summers with them over the year and NEVER went to all of the stuff there. I didn't even realize that there was a beach at the lake or a FREE zoo. I had no idea about all of the museums. Year after year of going to family reunions and such in Chicago and we never went to any of that stuff. I felt ROBBED!!

I want to take my husband on some kind of city tour like that this year. I would look up the trolley thing, but it was kinda open air and I would worry about the baby falling out. (Yeah, I'm a weirdo) So maybe we'll investigate a boat tour or something. Are the meals at the Han**** center expensive?

OH yeah, I'm wave 1 also!

We ate at the Cheesecake Factory last year; I think it's actually at the base of the H-Center. It was really good & was about $15 I think on average. Of course that's without cheesecake! The meals were big though, we were wishing we'd split our meals so we all had room to have our own piece of cake:) I don't know about the other restaurants up by the observatory.

if you go to the 95th floor of the H-Building, it is a fancier restaurant and is expensive. But the Cheesecake Factory is great and HUGE portions as ladychef pointed out.

The Cheesecake Factory is nothing special to me. We have one here in Phoenix (several actually) and in Houston. I've been to the Cheesecake Factory tons of times to know what that place is like.

Our team usually has dinner together the first night at Giordano's while the Executive Dinner is being held before the Awards session. Now that my Director and Executive directors are no longer with the company I am not sure how we are going to arrange this. They usually coordinate everyone and make the reservations. I would hate to miss this. We have a good time at dinner together.

Anyone not from the seashore states should check out Bob Chinn's crab house. Probably the best seafood you'll find this far inland!
I LOVE all the museums. The Museum of Science and Industry is my personal favorite...check out the body slices-eerily gripping!
The Lincoln Park zoo is great, but I'm partial to Brookfield (get on a train to go there!) because I grew up closeby. Not free, but awesome nonetheless.
Navy Pier is fun. Walk or ride the lakeshore, it's a beautiful path! And enjoy the beach! Lake Michigan is COLD, though! Be forewarned!
Oh and I once went on an architecture boat tour that was FABULOUS!! I have to find out about it and do it again!
Have fun and enjoy yourself. You can't ever go wrong in Chicago!

Here's a couple of other suggestions from my sister who lives and works in Chicago. Fun places to eat and see.

Pizza (especially Chicago deep dish): Giordano's, Edwardo's, Pizzeria Uno.

Garrett's Popcorn is famous, as is the Chicago hot dog (make sure it's Vienna Beef).

Good and sometimes quite expensive: Cafe Spiaggia (Italian), Ben Pao (Asian/Chinese)

Tons of cool museums: Art Institute, Field Museum of Natural History (Sue the dinosaur), Museum of Science and Industry, Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium (sharks, whales, dolphins and all sorts of fish).

The King Tut exhibit will be at the Field Museum, 25 dollar admission. It is only one of four stops for this exhibit in the U.S., the last time it was in the U.S. was 30 years ago. They are hoping to raise 10 million in each of the four stops and put that towards the museum in Egypt, chances are this exhibit will not leave Egypt in the future for tours, could be a once in a lifetime thing to go see.

I plan on making some time to go see the exhibit and take some pictures. Don't imagine I will be going to Egypt anytime in the near future.

1. What are some must-see attractions in Chicago?

Some popular attractions in Chicago include Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower), and the Art Institute of Chicago.

2. What are some outdoor activities to do in Chicago?

Chicago offers a variety of outdoor activities, such as kayaking on the Chicago River, biking along Lake Michigan, and visiting the Lincoln Park Zoo.

3. What are some family-friendly activities in Chicago?

Families can enjoy attractions like Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and the Museum of Science and Industry. There are also many parks and playgrounds for kids to play in.

4. What are some unique things to do in Chicago?

For a unique experience, visitors can take an architecture boat tour, visit the Skydeck at Willis Tower for amazing views, or catch a show at the famous Second City comedy club.

5. What are some popular food and drink options in Chicago?

Chicago is known for its deep-dish pizza, hot dogs, and Italian beef sandwiches. Visitors can also try local favorites like Garrett's Popcorn, Portillo's hot dogs, and a Chicago-style hot dog at Wrigley Field.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Back