• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some budget-friendly activities in Chicago?

In summary, Chicago has a lot to offer tourists, including discounts on tickets through Expedia, the Navy Pier aquarium, the architecture boat tour, the sky deck at the Willis Tower, various museums, Navy Pier's fireworks, the Navy Pier and Navy Pier Thursday Nights, the Millennium Park, the Hancock Building, the Sears Tower/Willis Tower Skydeck, and the Tribune Building with its blocks of different buildings from around the world.
AmyDare
I'd love to read suggestions for things to do in Chicago during the down time--preferrable things that won't break the bank.
:thumbsup:

There were discount tickets for things on expedia when i was checking out airfare. There's an aquarium, architecture boat tour, sky deck, museum, planetarium, million dollar mile (shopping), Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower), art galleries, Navy Pier etc.

Navy Pier, Navy Pier and OH YEAH Navy Pier!!! Every Saturday and (I think) Thursday they have fireworks. Last time there we saw Cirque!There's a BEACH you can visit if you want ... just walk the mile and you're there!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Navy Pier, Navy Pier and OH YEAH Navy Pier!!! Every Saturday and (I think) Thursday they have fireworks. Last time there we saw Cirque!

There's a BEACH you can visit if you want ... just walk the mile and you're there!

It's Wednesday, not Thursdays on the Fireworks...I know that Wednesday that we are there- they have fireworks on the calendar. (@9:30) http://www.navypier.com/

I like this website:
Travel to Chicago Illinois - Traveler Directory, Convention Guide to Hotels, Restaurants, Dining, Nightlife, Sightseeing Attractions, Events, Tourism

Most of the museums will be closed by the time we are done- they close around 5 or 6pm each night.
Navy Pier is a great place to walk, site-see, etc. There is also Millennium Park; any window shopping along Michigan Ave is fun; the Hancock Building has some shopping and I think the Cheesecake Factory is in the lower level (looks like the designer was on LSD!). The Sears Tower/Willis Tower Skydeck of course is always a winner.

OH, and around the corner from the Sheraton- over on Michigan Ave, you'll find the Tribune Building (435 N. Michigan Ave). It's really neat to walk around that and see all of the blocks from the buildings around the world. The base of the building is studded with over 120 stones from famed sites and structures in all 50 states and dozens of foreign countries. They range from the Parthenon (Greece) and Taj Mahal (India) to Bunker Hill (Massachusetts) and Mark Twain's "Injun Joe Cave" (Missouri). There is even a piece of the Twin Towers from NYC.

Chicago is a pretty enough town you can walk/site see without having to spend alot of money too.

If you are going to be in a room with a lot of people and you are an early riser. Do yourself a favor. Grab a cup of joe and park your self outside. 1st, the sun coming up over the lake is awesome and 2nd is watching the way Chicago wakes up. First you see maybe one or two people, then 10 to 15 then a ton more! I love people watching and I gotta admit, in front of the Hilton is fun to watch people. Especially all those crazy tourist with the Pampered Chef Name tag thingies!

I enjoy people watching, too. One of my teammates said it must be really easy to get dressed in Chicago. It doesn't seem to matter what you wear. It doesn't have to match. It doesn't have to look good. It doesn't even have to fit. LOL!

There is tons to do and see in Chicago--just depends what your interests are.If you've never been here before, I'd recommend an architectual tour on the river. To me, Navy Pier is one big tourist trap. :)There are TONS of yummy restaurants--just matters what you like and how much you want to spend. Do me a favor and stay away from chain restaurants, especially the ones you have in your own city. Doesn't make sense to travel all this way and then eat at Applebees. LOLMetromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide is a good place to start.

Good point, Deb. I do my best not to eat anyplace I could easily eat elsewhere.

I KNOW RAE! That is SO FUNNY! Makes you wonder where they are going, if they work, where and if they even care! Last year a couple of us saw a guy, maybe early to mid 20s around 5:30 a.m.. He was wearing a wife beater and speedos! Thank goodness he was cute!

Note to self: Get up early and hang out with John to people watch (one of my favorite activities), and plan to have dinner with Debbie at least once.

I have to change my favorite thing to do! It is not people watching! It is pointing and laughing! Glad to have you aboard Sarah!

You have to go see the BEAN!!! Do a google search and you will understand. It's one of the most awesome things I have seen!

DebbieJ said:
Doesn't make sense to travel all this way and then eat at Applebees. LOL

I sooo agree...went with some friends to NYC last year and they wanted to eat at Olive Garden!!! Dont get me wrong I love Olive Garden but in New York City??? I wanted something authentic!!! (So I took them to Little Italy...it was awesome...) Anyway, back to Chicago...ha ....Anyone know of some awesome restaurants in Chicago? Maybe Italian? I'm dying for a canoli! ha

I'm also up for the people watching and the coffee drinking...:D

The BEAN is cool.

I am so looking forward to Giordano's.

What comes to mind when I hear "CHICAGOAN" food would be (1) Deep Dish Pizza) and (2) Chicago-style Hot Dogs ....we're so bad, that when we travel up there, we will be stocking up on the true Chi- dog fixins and bringing them back to NC in a cooler with dry-ice! (I KID YOU NOT! We can't get the right stuff here!) I'm sure there are several other things, but those are probably the easiest to find and most popular. (My DH grew up outside of the city, and we lived near there a year before moving back to NC.)My DH and boys are looking forward to REAL Deep Dish Pizzas. They usually hit Lou Malnati's I think. But I'd try that one or Gino's East. They are the "originals".I don't know if I'll make it with them, but when we go hang out around Navy Pier- we hit Bubba Gump's. Not necessarily "chicagoan", but definitely not a "normal" chain. I've only seen them in Chicago and in Maui.

So, do we have a night planned to all hang out?

esavvymom said:
What comes to mind when I hear "CHICAGOAN" food would be (1) Deep Dish Pizza) and (2) Chicago-style Hot Dogs ....we're so bad, that when we travel up there, we will be stocking up on the true Chi- dog fixins and bringing them back to NC in a cooler with dry-ice! (I KID YOU NOT! We can't get the right stuff here!) I'm sure there are several other things, but those are probably the easiest to find and most popular. (My DH grew up outside of the city, and we lived near there a year before moving back to NC.)My DH and boys are looking forward to REAL Deep Dish Pizzas. They usually hit Lou Malnati's I think. But I'd try that one or Gino's East. They are the "originals".I don't know if I'll make it with them, but when we go hang out around Navy Pier- we hit Bubba Gump's. Not necessarily "chicagoan", but definitely not a "normal" chain. I've only seen them in Chicago and in Maui.
Most of the fixins you would need to buy here are sold in jars. No need for the dry ice. Chicago style relish and sport peppers are probably the only 2 things you can't get at home. Otherwise onions, pickles, tomatoes, celery salt, and mustard are pretty normal ingredients. OH, but you'll need to stock up on poppyseed buns!!!!http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/makeyourown.phpFor pizza, my favorite is Giordanos. I really do not like Gino's East, but that's a personal preference. Their crust has a lot of cornmeal and I just don't like the texture.

DebbieJ said:
Most of the fixins you would need to buy here are sold in jars. No need for the dry ice. Chicago style relish and sport peppers are probably the only 2 things you can't get at home. Otherwise onions, pickles, tomatoes, celery salt, and mustard are pretty normal ingredients. OH, but you'll need to stock up on poppyseed buns!!!!

Make Your Own - Hot Dog Chicago Style - The Search for the Perfect Dog

For pizza, my favorite is Giordanos. I really do not like Gino's East, but that's a personal preference. Their crust has a lot of cornmeal and I just don't like the texture.

We get the dogs (the brand my husband likes that are "True Chicago Dogs" in his opinion- I can't remember which brand, but I know we can't find them here) and definitely the Buns. Those we can't get anywhere else. The sport peppers- I'm set. My SIL gave me a Industrial size jar of them last year as a joke! I just put them into small 4oz canning jars and canned them so they last us forever :). The rest, yes- basic stuff...but even when we put that stuff on a regular hot-dog- It's just NOT the same. :)

Thanks for the weblink.

Anyone seen the musical Billy Elliott, or maybe Shrek (in another city?) We've seen Wicked and Jersey Boys the past 2 years and want to go to another. Recommendations? (Shrek opens while we are there, don't know if we'd be able to get tix or not.) Ticketmaster says something about a McDonald's coupon code....any locals know about that?

Are you coming in Sunday or Monday? Monday, The Field Museum is FREE, Lincoln Park Zoo and Chicago Botanical Garden are also FREE anytime -- just need to check the hours. I LOVE the boat tours. This year, I'm thinking of doing a city tour HopOn/Hop Off on the double decker bus. Last year one of my favorite things was going to the Lounge on top of The John Hancock building and watching the fireworks (best view was actually the women's bathroom LOL)...window shopping is a blast! You can check things out on chicago.com as well!

1. What are some popular tourist attractions in Chicago?

The top tourist attractions in Chicago include Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower), Art Institute of Chicago, and Shedd Aquarium.

2. Are there any free things to do in Chicago?

Yes, there are plenty of free things to do in Chicago. You can visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, stroll along the Lakefront Trail, explore the Chicago Riverwalk, or attend free concerts or events in Millennium Park.

3. What are some must-try foods in Chicago?

Chicago is known for its deep dish pizza, Italian beef sandwiches, and Chicago-style hot dogs. Other must-try foods include Garrett's Popcorn, Chicago-style popcorn mix, and Garrett's Mix, and rainbow cone ice cream.

4. What neighborhoods should I visit in Chicago?

Some popular neighborhoods in Chicago include the Magnificent Mile for shopping, Wicker Park for its hipster vibe, and Lincoln Park for its beautiful parks and attractions. Other notable neighborhoods include Chinatown, Pilsen for its vibrant street art, and the Gold Coast for its upscale restaurants and shops.

5. What are some fun activities for families in Chicago?

Families can enjoy visiting the Museum of Science and Industry, the Adler Planetarium, and the Field Museum. They can also take a boat tour on the Chicago River, ride the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier, or attend a game at Wrigley Field.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
Janice Stroud
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy