• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Things I Learned From Spring Launch

In summary, the author suggests using a wish list to make it easier for customers to buy products they want, and suggests implementing it at a show to see if it works.
Becca_in_MD
Gold Member
Please share what you learned at Launch that you are applying to your business. What is and is not working?

Carry Less, Sell More - I brought one less bag with me to my last show. It's a $1,000 show so I don't think it mattered that I didn't have a couple of extra things with me. There wouldn't have been anywhere to put them anyway.

Wish List - I'm trying out the wish list on the front of the catalog. I've seen this idea before and have decided it's worth a whirl. I put a big Post-It on the front of the catalog. Unfortunately only the first 10 people there heard me explain that they could use it as a wish list. Not sure it helped much. Do others use this? Do you have them bring the wish list with them to check out so you can see about booking?

I've got a ton of ideas I want to try, but since my show schedule is so non-existent, I haven't been able to try them yet.

Shorter Show - I am having my own show on Thursday, and I'm telling everyone I've made a bet with my husband that I'll be home by 8:30 PM. Our presenter at SL said that's what she'd done with her show the night before SL, and I was impressed.

Carry Less - I'm only going to take what I need for the recipe. Period.

Wish List - I tried it once, and they used it, but I didn't end up getting the wish lists from my customers, so that didn't work out too well. I know I'm supposed to try things multiple times, but there again is the show schedule issue. I'll try it again on Thursday. I have the big Post-Its that have lines on them, and I'll write "Wish List" across the top. Then, they can bring that with them when I check them out with my laptop. I'll probably end up passing out receipts, too, but I could try without at my own show.

Hope I have attendance!

I think the wish list could work, but it wouldn't be effective with me as a customer. I'm hesitant to give a list to a consultant who might then hound me about it. (It's happened to me before.) One thing I put into place immediately was to add my website to my outgoing vm message.

Great thread Becca!

There were so many great things I learned.

1) Don't hold catalogs hostage. Give guests a highlighter so they can highlight items they want in their dream kitchen. This can help you at FSCO to explain they can get those items by hosting or joining. Also great if they need to order another item to hit the guest special requirement...they already have highlighted items to help them make a decision. I bought the highlighters and will be implementing at next show.

2) Let the catalog work for you. I did this at my last show and it made a huge difference. As I reviewed the collections, highlighting a few key pieces, I saw orders included a few of the items I mentioned.

3) Be intentional at your shows and with host coaching. This is something I have known all along but haven't been consistent. I'm starting to work on consistency and have seen that many are listening and applying the tips. The sales are showing it pays to do so.

for highlighting I have thought up a game for it
and the end of the show I would (since I don't have one in the books yet)
play game, so I would name off the items that were in the Starter kit
see if they have the items and who ever had all the items would win a SB and plug in that those were the items that they can get for joining

I just stuck a big stickee note to the front of each catalog and told them they could use it to write out a wish list or notes about my amazing cooking, LOL. They loved it. I got several comments about it. Some used it for a wish list, some didn't. But it still is nice customer service.

When I did a wish list when I first started I never asked for it. For me, it's for them to create a list of products they hear me talk about and create their order from there. It actually helped me get a booking because someone gave me their wish list instead of filling out their order form. They had the next month's host special crossed off and booked when I mentioned they could get it 60% off. I've been thinking about going back to it again...

I wasn't planning on getting the wishlist back from them, just letting them have it as scratch paper. I guess I need to figure out my wording better to them at the show. What I think I need to say is the classic "did you order everything on your wishlist" at check-out.

THe biggest thing I learned is carry LESS. I used to have the rolling tote, the bag that goes on top, the tool turn about bag and at least one reusable shopping bag with stuff in it. No wonder I didn't get any recruits LOL. Also to be VERY intentional with host coaching, recruiting tidbits, and booking benefits. I have had catty shpws this month so no opportunity to use yet. But I have shows the first 2 weekends in March and will be doing it. I can't wait to stroll into my shows with one bag!!!!

I didn't do much different at my last show, my at my show this Friday I'm going with the "less is more" theme! For the past year or so I've been bringing only what I can fit in two reusable shopping bags, plus my laptop case (which holds not just my computer, but catalog folders, etc). Well, those two bags can hold A LOT. I really love the, but I"m paring down even more, because my shows run too long and are too disorganized.Someone here posted a recipe for a cobbler which has only 3 ingredients (cake mix, fruit filling, and butter). That's the recipe I'm doing, and ONLY that recipe!! We'll play the Queen of Shoppers and the ticket game, then I'll do the Full Service Check Out (something which I don't really do now). If I'm there for more than an hour and a half, it'll be because a few of my friends will be there, so once the check-outs are done, I'll be hanging up my Consultant hat, and just hanging out.I'm also going to share the opportunity more. At my last show I talked about the 5 Fs - Friends, Fun, Food, Free, Fellowship. Then the guests started throwing in their own Fs, like Fantastic and Fundraisers. Since I didn't do the FSCO, I didn't follow up on this, but will from now on. My focus was more on the Taste of Travel, and the free trip to New Orleans. I don't just want to earn this, I want to go with a bunch of people from my own team!!

I did the large post it on the front of the catalog and left it blank. When I gave out the catalogs at the beginning (new for me), I asked them to put their name and email at the top. And then I waited. I then told them that this was their wish list sheet and to put items they see tonight on their wish list. I told them I would collect these sheets at the order time and I would let them know when these items were on sale. They took it and ran with it. They asked me specifically for names of items during the interactive show and I found myself repeating a name of an item if they "oohed and aahed" over it. I put all the items in P3 in wish list and I will run a report each month based on the specials. So far, I have done this at one show. Interested to see how it goes for the next one.

Oh, and the idea from the video about the index card with the page numbers on it!

I'd definitely follow up Sarah. You can always do Morning after Calls...thanking them for coming and telling them that you wanted to be sure there wasn't anything else they needed. And then proceed with the FSCO via phone. It could add up to your orders and both booking and recruiting leads.

Someone mentioned that if you did the seeds, and don't ask everyone...why bother? You wasted your time and you sparked someone's interest without showing them how.

Think of it this way....You have a gorgeous chocolate gooey cake and you tell everyone how yummy it is, then you walk away without allowing them a bite or letting them know how to get/make one of their own...why would you be mean by taunting them with free products or a paycheck and then not offer them the chance to taste? ;)

Noora- you're right...I LOVED that tip. I need to find my notebook because I KNOW there were lots of other great tips!

I plan on asking everyone for their top 5 wishlist items from everyone...that way, I can do what JLA posted. I was trying to figure out how to allow them to highlight and keep the catalog and still know what they want to list in P3.

For the wish list, I always use the order forms! I explain in the beginning that the catalog is theirs and to write their name on it and take it home. I then share the order form is both an order form and a wish list. They are to write down everything they see that they would like to add to their kitchen. Then they put a "W" by the ones for their wish list and order what they want that night. That way, they have a wish list for future parties or their own show and I have a wish list to remind them of what they wanted or get in touch when their wish is on sale!Has worked marvelously. I have booked more shows seeing all those W's...! CKFor me? It was throwing kisses! I keep it more simple, they get a kiss when they find a product in the catalog for someone else, find the price, ask questions about a product, ask about being a consultant, ask about hosting show...any question = 1 kiss. There is a mystery question where they can get 5 kisses! I also include a lightning round...2-3 minutes of intense q's about being a consultant and my biz....I got five good leads in four shows!

Last edited:
bring less sell more, I've been hearing bring less for the last 5 years, but no one ever told me what to do instead!!! Sell thru the catalog!! I put post it notes thru my catalog and walked them thru instead of showing products. $1k show!!!!!

Another thing I've already started doing has to do with my recruiting game. Like the presenter, I have people ask questions about recruiting. The idea she had was to put a label on the front of each catalog with a recruiting question. Now when I introduce the game I say, "If you can't think of a question to ask, you'll find one on the front of your catalog." This way they are asking questions I want them to ask. :D

ok, ok. bring less but how? if I make a recipe with my large bar pan, I need that, and the products I am using to make the recipe. I can't imagine selling the cookware w/o bringing it; I wouldn't spend $150 on a pan without actually seeing and touching it. And then do I bring the deep covered baker? Right now I know that I bring a lot but my sales are usually pretty high...Your help is appreciated. so hard to not bring a lot but know that I would be happier with less.

doughmama said:
ok, ok. bring less but how? if I make a recipe with my large bar pan, I need that, and the products I am using to make the recipe. I can't imagine selling the cookware w/o bringing it; I wouldn't spend $150 on a pan without actually seeing and touching it. And then do I bring the deep covered baker? Right now I know that I bring a lot but my sales are usually pretty high...

Your help is appreciated. so hard to not bring a lot but know that I would be happier with less.

Maybe look at the recipes you are making. Why make a large bar pan recipe when you want to bring your DCB? Make a DCB recipe. Want to show the cookware, make a cookware recipe.

but then you don't bring the others... i shop with my hands, not through a catalog so it is hard to imagine. I have a small party next week. will try to change it up. very resistant to change but will try to work on this. thanks for the push.

At our Launch they emphasized always still bringing one piece of SW, SS, non stick, and forged cutlery. They suggested the 8 inch saute pans and one of the santoku knives. They did not specify any particular piece of SW.

Barry Carlton said:
At our Launch they emphasized always still bringing one piece of SW, SS, non stick, and forged cutlery. They suggested the 8 inch saute pans and one of the santoku knives. They did not specify any particular piece of SW.

Our gal actually said that she will bring the small bar pan to show them or use the host's stones to show off! She really talked about utilizing your host for some of the bigger items. Talk with your host before hand and find out what she has on hand.

Barry Carlton said:

I always bring my tool turnabout because I use a bunch of products from it with my recipe. Should try and decide to either bring the LBP or the DCB, not both depending on the recipe. 8" NS instead of skillet? hmmm. as much as I want to recruit, sales are more important to me. thanks again for the help.

Barry Carlton said:

Yes, bring the products for your recipes, then bring small pieces of the other lines: 8" sautee pan, small bar pan, a small bamboo bowl etc. It will allow the customers to see the quality, and you can use the catalog to see the variety. I also emphasize at my shows that if they don't like something, they can call HO and just say so within 30 days, and get their money back.

doughmama said:
ok, ok. bring less but how? if I make a recipe with my large bar pan, I need that, and the products I am using to make the recipe. I can't imagine selling the cookware w/o bringing it; I wouldn't spend $150 on a pan without actually seeing and touching it. And then do I bring the deep covered baker? Right now I know that I bring a lot but my sales are usually pretty high...

Your help is appreciated. so hard to not bring a lot but know that I would be happier with less.

If you prepare more at home, like grate your cheese, cut up your veggies, etc. then all you need to do is bring them in prep bowls, no need for the food chopper, or a grater, etc. You can describe these things and give food tips to the customer making them want them more.

I always bring my bar pan with any crust already baked if I can, say for the Ckn Caesar Salad Pizza so that's one less step. I always bring my cake batter already mixed and IN the DCB so I all have to do is scoop in the icing and pop in the microwave.

To me it's about prep work before the show. My SD taught me this and it is helpful. I do a lot of the work at home and talk more about the products at the show. I sometimes bring them, but I pass them around for the guests to get a feel of while I talk about them.

I also do "have it, love it" at my shows. The first person to tell me I have it and WHY they love it gets a hershey's kiss. It usally starts the ball rolling on all the different reasons others love it as well. The guest do the selling for you and you have less to carry, less work at a show and more time to devote to FSCO.

As for the "wish list" I have always used the alphabetized one from CC for that season. It has worked great. I do a lapboard and put only a catty and a wish list in it. I ask that they put their name and email, if they have one, at the top. At the end of the show when I pass out order forms I tell them the wish list is so I can serve them better in the future and let them know when items go on special, etc. So far everyone has loved it.

I do the ticket activity at the end of the show and in lieu of the DPS .And then I give them the order form. I go over filling it out and answering the questions on it. I tell them it has to be completed w/name, addy, phone in order for it to count as their receipt for any item they may need to return and I tell them I will ask them the questions about hosting a show etc at the checkout so if they don't fill it out I will get the answers anyway. :) I tell them not to feel obligated to say yes if they don't really mean it because I have a hubby and three kids and I am very used to hearing NO. That usually gets a laugh.

Shelly Flanagan said:
If you prepare more at home, like grate your cheese, cut up your veggies, etc. then all you need to do is bring them in prep bowls, no need for the food chopper, or a grater, etc. You can describe these things and give food tips to the customer making them want them more.

I always bring my bar pan with any crust already baked if I can, say for the Ckn Caesar Salad Pizza so that's one less step. I always bring my cake batter already mixed and IN the DCB so I all have to do is scoop in the icing and pop in the microwave.

so you supply most of the food? I agree that someone doesn't need to watch me cut a pepper with a knife but I sell so many garlic peeler/slicer because I show it. same with the food chopper and the adj cheese grater.

like the have it/love it game. guests will listen to each other but still want to make food with my guests, not before hand. that part of the show I won't change. I love to cook and find that my guests enjoy this part. But that's what makes each consultant different. thanks for your good ideas.

doughmama said:
so you supply most of the food? I agree that someone doesn't need to watch me cut a pepper with a knife but I sell so many garlic peeler/slicer because I show it. same with the food chopper and the adj cheese grater.

like the have it/love it game. guests will listen to each other but still want to make food with my guests, not before hand. that part of the show I won't change. I love to cook and find that my guests enjoy this part. But that's what makes each consultant different. thanks for your good ideas.

I supply ALL of the food for my recipes. I still prepare the recipe for them. I just take the "any body" can do this out of the mix, like cutting the pepper, or mixing a box of cake mix. I may pass the item around for them to see the ease of use. I sell lots of cookware but never have I cooked in one at my show. I pass around the 8" saute w/ an ice cube in it and talk about how evenly it heats, how it cuts the cook/boil time, etc. They don't have to watch me cook in it because I can make them imagine it with my words. You don't see an engine work when you go to buy an automobile, but if the salesman makes you imagine it well enough, you are sold. Listen to Lisa Amblow on CC online training. She sells more cookware than anyone, and all she does it talk about it. Plus PC has went to all the trouble of putting such pretty pictures in the s/s catalog, I won't have to do anything but talk about them. This is the best catalog I have ever seen. The new marketing director is AWESOME!

Plus, I am not selling a recipe, I am selling PC and ME.

Last edited:
To my last show I fit in my rolling tote:
Large bar pan, large cutting board, DCB, Batter Bowl, MFP, Mandaline, Food chopper, 2 knives(green & Forged), 8 cookbooks, 8 inch saute pan, measure cups, small bamboo bowl, small spatular, mix n chop, wooden spoon, 10 lapboards (with catalogs & order forms), pens, booking slide, booking binder and my laptop.
This was what i needed to do my recipe plus showcase other things that we offer. I had one customer ask to see a cookbook i didn't have with me but that was it. Doing shows is so much easier taking only one tote.
BTW..My show was $1047

Shelly Flanagan said:
Plus PC has went to all the trouble of putting such pretty pictures in the s/s catalog, I won't have to do anything but talk about them. This is the best catalog I have ever seen. The new marketing director is AWESOME!

Plus, I am not selling a recipe, I am selling PC and ME.

I agree that the new marketing director is AWESOME! I love our new catalog, it will make selling easier.

At my last show I didn't use the DCB but I did talk about it and how easier it makes meal time. I sold 6 of them by just showing recipe cards and talking about what I make in it. :love:

doughmama said:
I always bring my tool turnabout because I use a bunch of products from it with my recipe. Should try and decide to either bring the LBP or the DCB, not both depending on the recipe. 8" NS instead of skillet? hmmm. as much as I want to recruit, sales are more important to me. thanks again for the help.

You aren't bringing it to recruit although it is in the kit. It's just a smaller version of a big item to show off.

ok. thanks everyone for your input. will let you know how Sunday goes with the "less is more" attitude!:)

For anyone wanting wish list post it notes - Sticking to Business - Home is continuing a 30% discount through Monday. I just bought cute "I love to be Pampered" ones - 6 of them with 50 pages each for around $15 with shipping! PM me and I'll give you my name for a referral.

wadesgirl said:
For anyone wanting wish list post it notes - Sticking to Business - Home is continuing a 30% discount through Monday. I just bought cute "I love to be Pampered" ones - 6 of them with 50 pages each for around $15 with shipping! PM me and I'll give you my name for a referral.

These are cute. I use them when I am out and about to get/give info from prospective hosts/recruits.

The one thing I'm trying to do is to give catalogs in the beginnning. I always waited to the end. I've been to two shows and both shows were past hosts. They saw my catalogs out at the begining and commented on me not holding them hostage.

The verdict is still out, i'm still concerned with customers looking at the catalog chatting instead of watching / participating in the demo, but i did notice it helpped me check out alot quicker.

I love all the ideas, thank you! And I want to start trying the Wish List with the post-it...for those of you that let them take the catalogs home, do you ever hear from those customers again? The reason I am asking, is because I have toyed with the idea of letting them take mini's home vs. big catalogs, unless they book. I am just wondering how many catalogs you go through in a season?

barbjans said:
I love all the ideas, thank you! And I want to start trying the Wish List with the post-it...for those of you that let them take the catalogs home, do you ever hear from those customers again? The reason I am asking, is because I have toyed with the idea of letting them take mini's home vs. big catalogs, unless they book. I am just wondering how many catalogs you go through in a season?

I'm wondering that same thing too. How many catalogs do you go through each season. Do people actually call you with future business when taking your catalogs?

I always give my catalogs out at the beginning of the show - why would you want to hold the catalogs hostage? Also they can start flipping through them to find what they want, they may add more stuff the longer they can look at it. It may also cut down on time you are there for your shows because you don't have to worry about them looking through them forever after the show.

I let them take the catalogs home if they ask - I don't feel like it's too much more money out of my pocket!

skaugchef said:
I'm wondering that same thing too. How many catalogs do you go through each season. Do people actually call you with future business when taking your catalogs?

I fasten my catalogs into folders and have extras to give out if someone asks for one. As an experiment, I tried just handing out catalogs and receipts for a season. I didn't get a single order from anyone that took a catalog with them :cry: I'm back to folders :)

1. What are the benefits of carrying less and selling more at a show?

Carrying less products to a show allows for a more streamlined setup and less time spent organizing and displaying items. It also creates a sense of urgency for customers to purchase what they see, as they know it may not be available at future shows. This can lead to higher sales and less leftover inventory.

2. How can I effectively use the wish list feature on the front of the catalog?

The wish list is a great tool for customers to mark down items they are interested in purchasing, but may not be able to at that particular show. This can be especially helpful for large or more expensive items. It's important to make sure all customers are aware of this feature and encourage them to use it. You can also have them bring the wish list with them to check out so you can discuss potential future bookings or follow-ups.

3. Do other consultants use the wish list feature and have success with it?

Yes, many consultants have found success with using the wish list feature. It creates a sense of organization for customers and can lead to future sales and bookings. It's important to make sure customers are aware of the feature and understand its purpose.

4. What did you learn at Spring Launch that you are applying to your business?

At Spring Launch, I learned about new products and techniques for selling them, as well as tips for organizing and streamlining my business. I am applying these new ideas and strategies to my shows and have seen an increase in sales and bookings as a result.

5. What is and is not working in your business after implementing what you learned at Spring Launch?

I have found that carrying less products to my shows and using the wish list feature have been successful strategies. However, I have also learned that it's important to clearly communicate these changes to my customers and make sure they understand the purpose and benefits. I have also seen that having a well-organized and streamlined setup can greatly impact the success of my shows.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• beepampered
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lovescooking
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • kdangel518