• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Put a Refrigerated Casserole Straight into a Hot Oven?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risk of thermal shock when placing cold food into a hot oven, and the suggestion to bring the food to room temperature first or preheat the oven with the food inside. There is also mention of cooking a breakfast casserole directly from the fridge at a lower temperature or leaving it out for a few minutes before cooking at a higher temperature.
babywings76
Gold Member
I know that you shouldn't take something from the freezer and put it into a hot oven, thought it can cause thermal shock and break your stone. What about something from the fridge, though? I made a breakfast casserole ahead last night so I could just pop it in the oven this morning. But it feels really cold and I'm nervous about sticking it in a 450 degree oven. Any thoughts?

I would leave it out for about 10-15 minutes, I think it should be ok after that....

Bring it to room temp first

I'm not sure if this is a PC suggestion or one I heard from another consultant, but when I am placing something cold from the fridge I will usually put it in a cold oven and let it preheat at the same time as the oven. I just watch cooking times so that it does not over bake/cook. I have thankfully never had any thermal shock, I have had some of my stoneware for 14 years. (Long before I became a consultant)

Thanks everyone! I decided to just stick it back in the fridge and do it for dinner. We like doing breakfast for dinner, so that's what we'll to tonight. DH had to get to work early and I've got to run DD to art class this morning, so being tight on time I decided to just hold off. Kdangel, I think that's a good idea, I'll have to do that next time I don't have time to set it out. This morning I had already preheated, so I was unable to do that method. :)

I have cooked a breakfast casserole in my rectangular baker straight from being in the fridge overnight, but mine was at 350F, or maybe 375F. So, I would suggest either leaving it out of the fridge for 10-15mins like Ginger said and/or putting it in the oven preheated to 350F and then raise the temp up to 450F.

HTH!

What is thermal shock and how does it affect stoneware?

Thermal shock is when a material experiences a sudden and extreme change in temperature. For stoneware, this can cause cracking or breaking if it is not properly cared for.

How do I prevent thermal shock from damaging my stoneware?

To prevent thermal shock, it is important to properly preheat and slowly cool down your stoneware. Avoid extreme changes in temperature, such as placing a hot stoneware dish directly into cold water.

Can I use my stoneware in the oven and then transfer it directly to the freezer?

No, it is not recommended to transfer stoneware directly from hot to cold temperatures. Allow the stoneware to cool down to room temperature before placing it in the freezer.

What happens if my stoneware does crack due to thermal shock?

If your stoneware does crack, it is important to stop using it immediately. While it may still be safe to use, the crack can compromise the integrity of the dish and increase the risk of it breaking further.

Are there any special care instructions for stoneware to prevent thermal shock?

Yes, it is important to avoid exposing stoneware to extreme temperature changes and to properly preheat and cool down the dish. It is also recommended to avoid using metal utensils on stoneware, as they can cause scratches that can lead to thermal shock.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • magentablue
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
magentablue
Replies