• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Start Fast in 2008: Sales Advice from Zig Ziglar's ENewsletter

In summary, the article "Salespeople, Start Fast in 2008!" by Bryan Flanagan discusses the importance of starting strong in the sales profession. Flanagan shares statistics from the National Football League that show teams who score first have a 75% chance of winning the game, and he encourages salespeople to apply this concept to their own careers. He suggests setting goals, checking behavior against those goals, and staying active to achieve success. Flanagan also shares Zig Ziglar's 7-step Goals Formula as a helpful tool.
raebates
Staff member
I subscribe to the Zig Ziglar ENewsletter. I love it. Here's one of the articles from this week's edition. I think it has great advice for all of us.

Salespeople, Start Fast in 2008!

By Bryan Flanagan

Here is a statistic you’ll find interesting. I know, I know: 23% of all statistics are made up on the spot. But follow me on this one.

According to statistical research conducted on the National Football League (NFL), what percentage of teams who score first, win the game?

My guess was 50%. We’ve all read about quarterbacks who have led their teams from behind to win the game. We’ve heard sportscasters discuss how many points are scored in the last two minutes of the half or at the end of the game. So, I thought about 50% was accurate.

Wrong! The statistics claim that 75% of the time a team scores first, they win the game! (No, of course not. I can’t verify this. I heard it while driving to Zig’s office one morning. But, the guys at ESPN Radio wouldn’t lie to me…) I’m thinking, if teams score early in the game, like say in the first quarter, then they are more likely to achieve their objectives.

So, if that stat is true, how can we as salespeople apply it to our profession? How can we apply it to the New Year? How can we use it to get off to a fast start in the first quarter? How can we get off to a fast start so that we, too, can achieve our objectives?

Here are a few ways.

1. Resolve NOT to set resolutions, but set GOALS! Goals. You know, goals…those things salespeople don’t want to set because it means we have to be accountable. Most of us are given our quota during January. You may call it budget, objectives, key result areas. But whatever you call it, it is your target for the coming sales year. Oftentimes, salespeople look at it as a distant target, something we have 12 months to achieve, so we can take our time attacking it. START NOW! If you get off to a fast start in the first quarter, perhaps the rest of the year becomes easier! Perhaps you increase your chances of winning the game! Zig has a great way to set goals. His 7-step Goals Formula is a winner and it will help you become a winner, also.

2. Check your BEHAVIOR against your GOALS. What a great way to give yourself a “check-up from the neck up!” Each and every day, check your behavior against the goals you have set. If your behavior is not contributing to your succeeding in reaching your goals, then you need to adjust your behavior. You don’t adjust the goal, you adjust your behavior. If you are spending too long at lunch, then adjust that behavior. If you are caught up in office talk (like, say, discussing that 75% of teams that score first in the NFL win the game), then remove yourself from that time waster by changing your behavior.

3. ACTIVITY drives accomplishment. Become a sales-activity driven professional. Of course, you must choose the right activities. You can’t confuse activity with productivity. The activities you choose must be contributing to the accomplishment of your goals. However, salespeople have a tendency to become less active after a sale is made. They tend to put their career on “cruise control.” Cruise control can make you comfortable, but it will never make you successful! Choose the right activities.

Well, there you have it: three ideas on contributing to a fast start in the first quarter. The challenge is to become a goal-directed, best behavior, and right-activity type sales professional.

May the best of your 2007 be the worst of your 2008!!!

Bryan Flanagan believes in the sales profession and he respects salespeople. He conducts sales education for a variety of sales organizations. Contact Bryan at [email protected].

Thanks for posting that Rae. Do you by any chance have the 7-step Goals formula available to post also? I have already written up my goals for this year but I would love to look at it in a different way.

Thanks!

thanks - will be sharing it with my team!

sfdavis918 said:
Do you by any chance have the 7-step Goals formula available to post also? I have already written up my goals for this year but I would love to look at it in a different way.

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I don't. I also don't remember seeing it recently. It's possible that it's in one of his books. Your library probably has most of them.

Hey, Sarah, I did find this from Zig Ziglar:10 Steps to Goal Getting
by Zig Ziglar Here are ten steps to help you achieve your goals in the new year:1. Make the commitment to reach your goal. "One person with a commitment is worth a hundred who only have an interest." -- Mary Crowley2. Commit yourself to detailed accountability. Record your progress toward your goals every night, and list the six most important things you need to do the next day. Daily discipline is the key to reaching your goals.3. Build your life on a solid foundation of honesty, character, integrity, trust, love and loyalty. This foundation will give you an honest show at reaching any goal you have set properly.4. Break your intermediate and long-range goals into increments.5. Be prepared to change. You can't control the weather, inflation, interest rates, Wall Street, etc. Change your decision to move toward a goal carefully, but be willing to change your direction to get there as conditions and circumstances demand.6. Share your "give-up" goals, i.e., give up smoking, being rude, procrastinating, being late, eating too much, etc., with many people. Chances are excellent they're going to encourage you.7. Become a team player. Remember: You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.8. See the reaching. In your imagination see yourself receiving that diploma, getting that job or promotion, making that speech, moving into the home of your dreams, achieving that weight-loss goal, etc.9. Each time you reach a goal, your confidence will grow so that you can do bigger and better things. After accomplishing any goal, record it in your journal, weekly planner or PDA.10. Remember, what you get by reaching your destination isn't nearly as important as what you become by reaching your goals -- what you will become is the winner you were born to be!

1. How can I increase my sales in 2008?

In order to increase your sales in 2008, it is important to set specific and achievable goals, maintain a positive attitude, consistently follow up with clients, and continuously improve your product knowledge and sales techniques. Additionally, utilizing social media and networking can also help increase sales.

2. What tips does Zig Ziglar offer for successful selling?

Zig Ziglar emphasizes the importance of building relationships with clients, listening to their needs, and focusing on providing value rather than just making a sale. He also stresses the importance of maintaining a positive attitude and continuously learning and improving as a salesperson.

3. How can I overcome objections from potential customers?

Zig Ziglar suggests addressing objections by first acknowledging the customer's concerns and then offering solutions or alternatives that may address those concerns. It is important to remain calm, listen actively, and be prepared to handle objections with confidence and professionalism.

4. What is the importance of setting goals in sales?

Setting specific and achievable goals can help motivate and focus salespeople, as well as track progress and identify areas for improvement. It also allows for a clear direction and purpose in the sales process, leading to increased success.

5. How can I stay motivated and maintain a positive attitude in sales?

Zig Ziglar suggests surrounding yourself with positive people and materials, setting specific goals and consistently working towards them, and continuously learning and improving in your sales techniques. He also stresses the importance of maintaining a positive mindset and avoiding negative self-talk.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
DawnH
  • ChefLisa
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedtara
  • scottcooks