• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Disappointment: Turning a Party Mishap into Networking Opportunity

In summary, the host had a party and only nine people showed up. The host is still breaking even with the food they provided, but they are still able to book shows.
raebates
Staff member
I had a party tonight. The host was excited. I drove over to her mom's house, where we were having the party, only to find out that she had to go out of town. It was an emergency situation. She'd called all of the guests, but forgotten to call me.

It could have been a really bad thing. It wasn't. I talked with her mom. She is thinking of hosting her own show. She also gave me a line on a possible public event. I used the drive home to make contacts and do some host coaching. No wasted evening for me.

The host will reschedule.

Tell me how you recently handled a disappointment.

Does a bottle of wine count?? :DActually- i didn't really do that...WANTED to, but I was too tired to try. It was a show that was supposed to be 18 (confirmed RSVPs as of THAT morning). Only 9 showed, and 7 buying. The show- currently, with 1 OOF, hasn't even reached $150 yet. :( I provided the food (promo), so I am currently at break even with my promo (Party in a Bag). But the positive that I tried hard to focus on was the I did get 2 bookings from it. And I had booked a show earlier that day with a neighbor, so 3 shows in one day, I couldn't complain TOO much. :D

Last edited:
I love your attitude. I would have pretty frustrated............at first and then I would have snuck off to Sonic for bundt cake sundae and then spent the evening wonderin the aisles in Walmart or a craft store. Hubby wouldn't have known for days that I didn't do a show and I'd have had a night free of being "momma" to the 2 year old. I love him but I need a break. Hurry up conference!

LOL Sharon! I would have done the same....maybe with a few contact calls made and definately a DQ stop! LOL

Feel you on the 2-year old thing...WHEW!

pcsharon1 said:
I love your attitude. I would have pretty frustrated............at first and then I would have snuck off to Sonic for bundt cake sundae and then spent the evening wonderin the aisles in Walmart or a craft store. Hubby wouldn't have known for days that I didn't do a show and I'd have had a night free of being "momma" to the 2 year old. I love him but I need a break. Hurry up conference!

Seriously? Bundt cake sundae??? I would never leave. I am so jealous :grumpy:

You know what I haven't had it yet but they have two different one's and one of them is a turtle one.............a mini chocolate bundt cake with soft serve vanilla in the center with the chopped pecans and caramel sauce. It looks fantastic but I keep saving it for a special treat. And quite frankly I think if I showed up for a show and the HOSTESS wasn't there that would be the time I would need a special treat.

But as per everone's tips....while I'm waiting on them to properly heat my mini bundt cake for my turtle I will make a phone call or two!

Just this past week I had a double host party cancel on me one day before the dual party. It was like a sucker punch to the stomach since it was a friend (and her SIL), it happened in my first 30days and in my selfish little world I was banking on PCD in my mind (hey I'm honest!), and third - I had done all of my to-do list all week long (follow up & host coaching) and got the blow off the day before, so I couldn't even book someone else.

My cure to my self-pity party....warm chocolate chip cookies on my bar pan right out of the oven and a chick flick (Devil Wears Prada)....comfy jammies and I had myself a gay-ole-time! I felt much better afterwards, until I realized how many gooey cookies I had consumed. :)

As a reward to myself though tonite - sorry all - but I MUST brag. Please give me just 2 seconds to do so and that's it... I had two parties last nite and tonite, last nights was only a smaller one $300-400 but had 1 sure booking and 2 possibles (getting back to me) so 3 out of 6 people...and tonite...I'm on cloud nine... my host is up to $700 without the other outside orders to come in AND....holding my socks on....4 bookings for shows and 1 booking for a July catalog show. WOO HOOO! I might have forgotten the seasoning in the pizza, never mentioned the cookware, forgot the pineapple slicer, and totally forgot the guest specials but boy I did something right!

Ok I'm sorry I promise not to brag again (ok atleast til I find a recruit) but at almost midnite I'm soaring on cloud 9! I just had to say it. So I had a rotten Saturday with a double booking cancellation but the light at the end of the rainbow brought me five bookings in 1.5 hours. *doing a happy dance*

Melissa - brag to your hearts content!!!

My disappointments are handled with grace and the 10 min microwave cake. Honestly, the grace is a glass of milk. LOL

My show last weekend...the host was a neighbor and from the get go I don't think she was *that* excited to host but she'd said she would if I became a consultant, yada yada.

From the get go she was not excited. When I asked her what she had on her wishlist she said she wasn't really thinking about it because she didn't know if people would spend much money. I used that to encourage her to invite as many people as possible and I tried to just play up that it would be a fun night. We even went with 3 recipes - a drink, appetizer and a quick dessert.

The show itself ended up being 5 guests, all who have been to 1-2 shows of mine in the last 45 days (I hosted then my first show as a consultant was hosted by another neighbor). So they are a bit burnt out.

I just kept it really light, made a big deal about how *I* don't expect them to support my business and that because of the turn out we were going to go informal and just have fun. The host had an $85 outside order and I had $65 in outside orders that I was adding to this show so I wasn't stressed about it. And I decided if the host wasn't gonna do the work to earn more benefits then that's her loss. We had fun and I closed at the show at $260. So not too bad considering!

When we were done I packed everything up, came home and changed and then went back and just relaxed with everyone!

I had a party about a month ago. Did the host coaching, she was all excited about the party. She handed out the invites to her family. Confirmed 2 days before, "confirmed" guests of 7 I was doing the dessert and when I showed up. NO ONE was home. Sat out front for 1/2 hour called the cell and and went to voice mail. Still haven't heard from her. So I took the dessert and hubby over to a friends house and we ate it all!!!! It was the banana brownie from HWC recipes.. YUMMMMO!!!

My only May party was with a motivated host in a wealthy suburb. She had 14 people coming....well only 10 showed up and many of them were mother/daughter or sister combos. So, sales didn't even reach $500.

I got 1 booking and one possible recruit lead out of it, as well as a baby fix from the host's adorable granddaughter. I tried to focus on that, then went to my usual disappointment strategy - wine and chocolate!

What should I do if no one shows up to my party?

If no one shows up to your party, it can be disappointing but it's important to not let it get you down. Use this as an opportunity to network with those who did show up and focus on providing a great experience for them. You never know, they may become your biggest supporters and bring more guests to your next party.

How do I handle a last minute cancellation from a guest?

Last minute cancellations can be frustrating, but it's important to remain positive and understanding. Reach out to the guest and let them know that you understand things come up and it's okay to cancel. Offer to reschedule the party for a time that works better for them. You could also suggest doing a virtual party instead, so they can still shop and support your business.

What if a guest doesn't make a purchase at the party?

Not everyone will make a purchase at the party, and that's okay. Instead of focusing on the sale, focus on building relationships with your guests. Offer them a chance to host their own party, or follow up with them after the party to see if they have any questions or need help with their purchases. Building a strong network of loyal customers will benefit your business in the long run.

How do I handle a party mishap, such as burning a dish or running out of a popular product?

Mistakes happen, and it's important to remain calm and handle the situation gracefully. If you burn a dish, apologize to your guests and offer to make something else or provide a store-bought alternative. If you run out of a popular product, let your guests know that you can order it for them and have it delivered to their home. Use this as an opportunity to show your guests your excellent customer service skills.

What can I do to turn a disappointment into a networking opportunity?

When faced with a disappointment, it's important to stay positive and look for ways to turn it into a networking opportunity. Use the situation to connect with your guests and build relationships. Offer discounts or incentives for those who book their own party, or ask for referrals to help grow your business. Remember, every disappointment is a chance to learn and improve for the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
musicalglow
  • babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • 3girls