• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did Anyone Else Feel Disappointed by SB's New Recipes?

In summary, the new recipes from Seasons Best and the cookbook have been met with mixed reactions by customers. Some appreciate the changes and direction PC is going, while others find them too difficult to make or find the ingredients for. The asparagus rolls are a hit but require some extra effort to assemble. There are lots of pecans present in many of the recipes which can be an issue for people with nut allergies. Tips for assembling the asparagus rolls are shared, as well as suggestions for making them a "hands-on" show. The Kalamata Olive Spread is recommended as a delicious and easy recipe.
rsmpta
was i the only one a little disappointed by them. The ones in the new literature and stuff? I was REALLY looking forward to the new recipes in SB and i just was pretty:(

Don't get me wrong I do like nice dishes...but these do NOT seem to be the easiest stuff to make.....and have ingredients that aren't the easiest to find in small towns.....

Just wondered if I was the only one .....

I haven't tried any yet but I kinda liked the variety the SBCB offered this time around. Last season's seemed to be alot of repeat recipes from the season before. These seem new to me.

that might be true...i haven't been in pc a long time...so they all seem new to me....

I think that the thing is...people are sick and tired of rings and wreaths and braids. I know in my area people refer to it as "White Trash Gourmet" -- and I think PC is trying to break out of that reputation and prove themselves as something more high class...more refined...classier. I think the new recipes and products are taking us in a very good direction.

I agree about having more "elegant" recipes to offer but I have to say... everyone still loves the Classic rings and braids I make and still request them! It will be fun to try these new recipes though! I'm open to change is a good thing!

I agree. More elegant recipes and healthier eating. PC has alot to compete with and I think they are on the right track. Times are changing and people are starting to change their eating habits as well....I love the new cookbook and I can't wait to start trying some of the recipes. Not sure which ones I will do at my shows considering the time it takes to prepare most.
Happy cooking to all:)

Oh yes - I agree, I get many requests still for rings and braids...but for the most part, people want more impressive recipes that are healthier...the Baked Pot Stickers, Sizzling Coconut Shrimp Cakes and Crostinis seem to go over very well in this area. I am thinking the Asparagus thingies will be a hit as well.

Yes, I cannot wait to try the asparagus rolls!

All I want to know is how are we going to make enough for people to try when we have more than 7 or 8 people at a party? No way am I sending out a invitation that says come to my Restraurant.

I am so darn excited about the new recipes.:)

Tonight it's going to be the Gruyere Chicken en Croute:D & the Chocolate Pecan Lattice Tart. I have looked over the recipes and haven't been any ingredients that might be hard to find, pretty basic stuff really. The only down side I have found is that goat cheese is pricey to buy where I am. PC recipes are easy you just have to get your ingredients ready and follow the steps and remember practice makes perfect:D

tried making the asparagus & they are AWESOME!! Although they take quite awhile to assemble.

I agree that people want healthy recipes but I also think they want easy recipes. From the quick glance I took to the new cookbooks I don't think alot of these recipes are easy. We have to remember that we are cooking for working families that have kids in a ton of diferent activites. I hope to show these as weekend meals when you have time to spend in the kitchen and cook a great meal. But I can't wait to try them and figure which ones to do as my demos.

rsmpta said:
was i the only one a little disappointed by them. The ones in the new literature and stuff? I was REALLY looking forward to the new recipes in SB and i just was pretty:(

Don't get me wrong I do like nice dishes...but these do NOT seem to be the easiest stuff to make.....and have ingredients that aren't the easiest to find in small towns.....

Just wondered if I was the only one .....

I understand why PC is moving in the direction the new SBCB has taken but I don't like it from a personal standpoint and wouldn't purchase it if I were a customer. My family wouldn't eat some of that stuff. It reminded me of Food Network recipes. I don't like that I can't pronounce the names of some of the ingredients :eek: We have to stay current with the trends and while I don't really like the change, I appreciate that our company is working hard to stay on top of things and change with the times.

I used to say that our recipes were great because they use ingredients that are in your cupboards or are easy to find. I'll have to come up with a new twist :)

I do love the new cookbook. Even though they are very elegant sounding....most of them are things my children will eat so I am looking forward to trying them out.

The asparagus rolls are awesome but some advice:

The phyllo sheets took me forever to find. They are in the freezer section next to the pie crusts. I was looking in frozen bread....

Definitely let these be a "hands on" show and get your guests involved. Let them roll their own (sounds like something from the 70's huh....lol)....anyway, they are messy too - the phyllo was all over the place by the time I got to the last few - it starts to dry out and they flake - another reason to assemble them all at once. The first few rolled nicely. But oh my - easy and sooo good. I took them to our cluster meeting right after conference and everybody loved them!

Plastic Wrap
Cindycooks said:

The phyllo sheets took me forever to find. They are in the freezer section next to the pie crusts. I was looking in frozen bread....

Definitely let these be a "hands on" show and get your guests involved. Let them roll their own (sounds like something from the 70's huh....lol)....anyway, they are messy too - the phyllo was all over the place by the time I got to the last few - it starts to dry out and they flake - another reason to assemble them all at once. The first few rolled nicely. But oh my - easy and sooo good. I took them to our cluster meeting right after conference and everybody loved them!
Try putting a sheet of plastic wrap over the phyllo dough that you aren't using to keep it from drying out while rolling the one your working on. It should help.;)

Just wanted to add that I did the paninis and they were awesome and easy. I think that we will all find after trying them that they are alot easier than they look ~ which for me has been what PC recipes are all about. We show them not to be scared of the recipes because they watch how easy they really are.

I am very excited about all of the new recipes Seasons Best and the cookbook. My 83 year old Italian Uncle wants to buy the new cookbook (he has a zillion)! lol.

:)

Great Advise & IdeasI've tried many of the recipes too. My concern is w/ all the Pecan's in everything.:eek: First, the whole I DON'T LIKE 'EM! Second, nut allergy alert!

The asparagus... Hmmm, let's take a vegetable and make it fattening...

Lattas Tart was good, reminded me of PopTarts when I was a kid. :)

Breat Pudding made a HUGE MESS of the microwave; but tasted good.

Boats were good, but pecan sticky topping stuck in my teeth!:(

Harvest Salad ~ TO DIE FOR! Even w/ the nuts...:)

3 onion tart ~ good, not too hard, but would opt for different cheese than goat.

Those were the ones that stick out for me. I like the direction PC is going w/ the receipes, but some better change up in the SB collections would be nice.
Collector of SBRC before I even started selling PC.

P>S> Try the Kalamata Olive Spread. Crusty bread & wine W*O*W*!:D

Cindycooks said:

Another suggestion for keeping the phyllo from drying out is putting a damp paper towel or dish towel over the top.

The training booklet mentioned that you didn't have to use the goat cheese in the 3 onion tart-so that's a thought if it's too expensive or you don't like the taste. I won't use it because people in my area don't like it. I used a full block of cream cheese in the crosini last year instead of goat cheese.

I had the new recpice book out at work today and someone asked me what was on the front cover so I told them.. about the goat chesse thingy ( I am having a brain fart so shoot me) they turned green in the face but everything else in the book sounded good..... But I like the new approach that PC is going!!!

I don't know if the onion tart was a good idea for the cover! Maybe the panini instead-might turn less people off.

I am so excited about the new recipes, escpecially the new cookbook. We will be making several of them at my Sneak preview show. I want my guests excited about the new products and new recipes, and the recipes in the cookbook are geared towards the new products. I just wish the new baker and the grill pan would be shipped BEFORE the sneak preview, it is hard to sell them without them being available to show them.

Here is a quick tip..... Keep the Phyllo sheets covered with a damp paper towl. This will keep them from drying out. Also, my family (except me) won't eat anyhting that is green! I altered the recipe a bit and made it with cheese.(I used Muenster) It was WONDERFUL!!

I did get smart and dampen a paper towel near the end! - and once they were all made and on the large stone, I dampened a dish towel and put over the whole thing until time for baking to take to my meeting.

I made the Three Onion Goat Cheese Tart for the kick off. It came out good, but was a bit of a pain with cooking bacon. I think I would have to have the host cook the bacon. And I noticed in the recipe it said to chop with knife instead of using the chopper. I was just a little surprised.

I was really impressed with the new SB .... becasue the recipies seemed elagent but rather simple and I like that idea personally becasue if ur like me, working fulltime and going to school full time and being a mom and a wife or I should say wife to be.. ( I am getting married in December ) Time in the kitchen is not somethign that I have alot of....so I find the recipies rather simple in my opioion. should be fun!!!

I can't imagine being ablt to buy GOAT CHEESE and other odd specialties like this for under $15!! I know and understand that PC is trying to be classy, but hosts are going to be spending more on the ingredients than they will get in return FPV!

ok forgive me im a newbee but i hear how much customers love the braids! are they in the all the best & since i have my SS kit & not the fancystuff is it hard to make them??!!

I made the Chocolate Pecan Lattice Tarts for my New Product review. It is decadent! I am from Kentucky, home of the Derby Pie that is trademarked by Kern's Kitchen and if it was in a pie plate we might be in trouble! Except, this is soooo much better! And the new cutting board makes cutting the lattice much easier than trying to eye 3/4 inch.

Hey Chefgirl2....I make a dessert called Derby Pie. I got it out of a country music magazine years ago....don't remember which star put it in. I wonder if it is the same thing....my kids love it. I lost the written recipe and I usually try to make it by memory. I need to find the actual recipe.

I graham cracker crust
eggs
sugar
chocolate chips
butter
I can't remember if there is any flour...you mix it all up and put it in the crust and bake it for an hour. It is wonderful!!! The original recipe says to cool before eating it, but we like it warm. If there is any left over they always heat it back up in the microwave.

ChefBurke--Yes, the braids and rings are in the All the Best cookbook. Don't worry about not being able to offer the new recipes. There are at least 3 Super Starter recipes in the new theme. Just think of it as a variety. You can offer your guests a more traditional Pampered Chef recipe or one of the new trendy recipes. They are both good selections, but you should pick one or two from each category to offer to your hosts.

For example, pick 1 or 2 traditional main dish recipes that you feel comfortable doing then select 1 or 2 new ones and ONLY offer those to your hosts. Try not to feel overwhelmed. The company does a pretty good job of pointing out what can be done with the Super Starter kit.

Hi Shawnna,
I love this pie so I went througha bunch of cookbooks so you can enjoy it, too. Not Betty Crocker but, the good local ones that they sell from churches and hospitals. They all have names that want to avoid a lawsuit like "First Saturday in May Pie, KY Nut Pie or Winner's Circle Pie." I found 3 that are exactly alike.
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
pinch salt
1 TBLS vanilla or 2 TBLS Bourbon (this is KY)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans
1 9 inch pie shell

Preheated oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Add 2-beaten eggs, flour, salt, and vanilla(or bourbon). Add chocolate chips and pecans. Stir well. Pour into partially baked pie shell and bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. We tend to serve it warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

Enjoy! Elaine

I LOVE the new recipes! I think its time we all stepped up a notch. Especially since we've had the tools to do so for a while now! I like how Pampered Chef is evolving from a very country style business to a more modern, up to date empire. My husband an I are military and let me tell you, the baggers at our Commissary were laughing at me for buying goat cheese! This is not a high-class environment, but I don't care because the recipes are easy and tasty and I think it will only help my family break away from the Hamburger-Helper generation! I've tried three recipes so far and really liked them all. Even my husband liked the Three Onion Goast Cheese recipe! The Panini is awesome and very filling and tasty! The Chocolate Lattice Pecan Tart is very rich! I think you can either decide to emrace the new recipes and style or avoid it...as for me and my family, we are embracing them whole-heartedly!

~Kristen

I have deciced that my family is going to be ginney pigged out... before I try them at shows... my family gets to eat them at home ........ and if they like them.. well then again... we might like something that someone else doesn't like... so oh well but I stil need to try them out at home too.....

You know it kind of depends on the part of the country you live in as far as recipes go. My husband is stationed in Minot, ND so it is more country/farming atmosphere up here. So the new recipes and things like that don't appeal to alot of the people in the area especially if they are older and live alone. I personally don't like to have anything too complicated at my shows so if I make a new recipe I might have alot prepared ahead of time. The only problem I have with alot of the new themes recipes is you have to have several of the new products which I may not be able to afford to get.

kristenskitchen said:
I LOVE the new recipes! I think its time we all stepped up a notch. Especially since we've had the tools to do so for a while now! I like how Pampered Chef is evolving from a very country style business to a more modern, up to date empire.......... I think you can either decide to emrace the new recipes and style or avoid it...as for me and my family, we are embracing them whole-heartedly!

~Kristen

Kristin, I totally agree! Although I know that most people eat alot of convenience foods - I love that we are moving in a different direction! For those who like to do braids etc.... (would you believe I have NEVER done one!)the recipes are still there - and still available for them to do - but I like that PC is developing recipes for those of us who have a different cooking style and way of eating also! I'm making the Chicken en Croute for Supper tonight!:)

janel kelly said:
..... The only problem I have with alot of the new themes recipes is you have to have several of the new products which I may not be able to afford to get.

Janel - I'm a little concerned about that here too......I LOVE the Asparagus Roll-ups - but I know that Asparagus will be impossible to find around here in just a couple months - except at a HUGE price!

janel kelly said:
You know it kind of depends on the part of the country you live in as far as recipes go. My husband is stationed in Minot, ND so it is more country/farming atmosphere up here. So the new recipes and things like that don't appeal to alot of the people in the area especially if they are older and live alone. I personally don't like to have anything too complicated at my shows so if I make a new recipe I might have alot prepared ahead of time. The only problem I have with alot of the new themes recipes is you have to have several of the new products which I may not be able to afford to get.

I can't agree with you more, I live in a small town too and their are a lot of the recipies that are in the new SB that some of the ingregence I can't find at the local grocery stores... Now talk about frustrating ..... I have to drive an hour jsut to get the right ingreidence for the recipie that I am making.

I tried making the pecan tart...Loved it...super easy and elegant!

I am wanting tomake the chicken salad thing.... gee I sound so prepared for a host don't I ???

All I know is I want the biggest sample package and quick! I love the new products...I am so excited about some of the recipes...Some do seem too expensive for the host.

I love the new recipes too but around here they want more traditional ingredients. I wish they'd come out with a cookbook using ALL easy to find ingredients to make elegant dishes. I have a friend who is a French chef and she can open any cupboard - no matter how bare - and come up with a gourmet meal fit for a king. THAT'S what I want to do! I know PC could make that happen for us. ...hmmmm I feel an email to HO coming on.

exactly what i was trying to say!!
GeorgiaPeach said:
I understand why PC is moving in the direction the new SBCB has taken but I don't like it from a personal standpoint and wouldn't purchase it if I were a customer. My family wouldn't eat some of that stuff. It reminded me of Food Network recipes. I don't like that I can't pronounce the names of some of the ingredients :eek: We have to stay current with the trends and while I don't really like the change, I appreciate that our company is working hard to stay on top of things and change with the times.

I used to say that our recipes were great because they use ingredients that are in your cupboards or are easy to find. I'll have to come up with a new twist :)

You hit the NAIL on the HEAD! I understand trying to stay current....but i guess i live to far in redneck texas...because i had difficulty even find the puff pastry shells.......

I DO NOT speak french or italian so i'm sure ya'll would get a BIG KICK out of my pronounciations of LAST sb and THIS sb cookbooks! :D

I think everyone is missing the point. NO ONE is telling any of us to use these recipes, & our customers have NO CLUE whats in the latest cookbooks unless we tell them or they buy them. We do not work for Betty Crocker, we are PAMPERED CHEFS!:D Also we are selling products not recipes. 1 more thing, as far as PC trying to have heathier meals if anyone would take a look at the calories & the total FAT!!:eek: :eek: :eek: these new recipes are FAR from healthy!! Just have fun & if you cant find something try something else. Life is WAY TO SHORT to be stressing out over where or how we are gonna find red pepper jelly...WHO CARES!!!...try something else:D :D :D I hope I helped to ease a few peoples minds!;) ;) ;)

Ginger428 said:
I think everyone is missing the point. NO ONE is telling any of us to use these recipes, & our customers have NO CLUE whats in the latest cookbooks unless we tell them or they buy them. We do not work for Betty Crocker, we are PAMPERED CHEFS!:D Also we are selling products not recipes. 1 more thing, as far as PC trying to have heathier meals if anyone would take a look at the calories & the total FAT!!:eek: :eek: :eek: these new recipes are FAR from healthy!! Just have fun & if you cant find something try something else. Life is WAY TO SHORT to be stressing out over where or how we are gonna find red pepper jelly...WHO CARES!!!...try something else:D :D :D I hope I helped to ease a few peoples minds!;) ;) ;)

Very good POINT!!!!

woooah nellly
Ginger428 said:
I think everyone is missing the point. NO ONE is telling any of us to use these recipes, & our customers have NO CLUE whats in the latest cookbooks unless we tell them or they buy them. We do not work for Betty Crocker, we are PAMPERED CHEFS!:D Also we are selling products not recipes. 1 more thing, as far as PC trying to have heathier meals if anyone would take a look at the calories & the total FAT!!:eek: :eek: :eek: these new recipes are FAR from healthy!! Just have fun & if you cant find something try something else. Life is WAY TO SHORT to be stressing out over where or how we are gonna find red pepper jelly...WHO CARES!!!...try something else:D :D :D I hope I helped to ease a few peoples minds!

Uh...okay...so since i'm trying to sell the products....it is nice to cook recipes they can SEE pictures of....and since the catalog and the SB kinda go together each quarter....i LIKE to try to use some of the recipes...and I WILL......but it kind makes it difficult to USE the recipes to DEMONSTRATE the products when you don't live in a METRO area... I'm pretty sure it is much easier to find more gourmet ingredients in those areas.

I didn't say I FOR ONE was stressing out over anything...just disappointed that they didn't make the ingredient lists for what i guess i would call 'the general public'......I'm all for trying new recipes....but it is hard to demo stuff in the SB when you can't get your hands on it. That is all I WAS saying.

And FWIW Betty Crocker has some GREAT recipes in it if you have looked at her real cookbook. ;)

I do not like the new SB very much at all. It just does not fit the taste for my area. I feel the same way about the new cookbook for two people. I personally will not recommend it. I understand the recipes are going in a different direction for a reason, but I am one that says "if it ain't broke don'e fix it." I will just keep making the recipes I like and know my customers enjoy. If these new recipes boost others business then I am very glad for them, but I will just stick to the old ones. The only real probably I have with the new SB is that is what I give my host as a thank you, and I hate to give them a gifts I do not like myself, so, after I run out of the old SB I may have to come up with a new thank you gift.

heat123 said:
Yes, I cannot wait to try the asparagus rolls!

they are WONDERFUL!!
our director did them at cluster and oh my gosh I could not stop eating them!
:D

I think the recipes are awesome and go with our new theme very well. Of course we want more elegant recipes to go with dining out inside the home--these are supposed to be more like what you could get by going out to eat.

That is what we are doing at our next cluster meeting is making an assortment of recipies from the new BS cook book!!!

Well all I can say is about the SB since that is all I have as of right now. I like some of the recipes in there but not all. It's just like the other SBs there are some I like and some I don't. And really that is with any cookbook. I'll just see what my customers think about it when they see the recipes. If it sells then that is great. The cookbooks just don't seem to be a big seller with me, even though I talk about them too in my presentation. We'll just see...I know I have a few in the new SB I want to try as of right now.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Jennie50
  • chefjessicah
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • wadesgirl