• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Amazon Kindle Worth the Hype?

In summary, the Kindle is a great device for reading books and keeping them organized. It is wireless and can be used for web surfing as well as reading. You can buy books from Amazon or add books to your Kindle through purchases or via subscription. If you order before November 1, you can get $50 off your purchase.
pampermejolene
Gold Member
Did you see Oprah today? She is all about the Amazon Kindle. Anyone have one? I wonder if it's as great as she is saying it is.

I do love to read and it would come in handy on vacation when I take multiple books with me.

If you have one, how is the reading on it? Is it like starring at a computer screen?

My sister has one, and I played with it a little on a family trip. It's soooooo cool! I'd love one, for the books that I don't care whether I have a hard copy of. (There are some series that I collect, so those I'd still purchase.) It's nice, too, because it includes wireless service, so you can do some web surfing on the unit, too. It's surprisingly like reading a real book, not just a computer screen. And really the perfect thing for vacation so you don't have to carry multiple volumes with you.

I was wondering also! How do buy books for it? Do you have an account you put money on like Itunes?

my question is: once you "buy" a book - do you always have it - or do they expire??

They talked about that on the show.
the device is wireless so you can download directly to it. NOT like an ipod where you have to download to your computer and then transfer. I would guess you either have an account or just put in your credit card number.They also said that it holds 200 books and even more (like 4000) with an added memory card. AND Amazon archives all the books that you have bought so if you need to free up space you can delete them and then get them back later. It also sounded like if it was lost or stolen you could get all your books back (but I'm guessing you would have to replace the device yourself).And they said all books are $9.99 or less (makes since because you aren't paying for the paper or pretty picture on the front).
For me I think it would pay for itself rather quickly but $300 is still pretty steep!
It just sounds so cool though!!!

Wasn't Richard Kindle the Fugitive?:confused:

I didn't think his wife was an Amazon, I thought she was dead.

ha ha ha KG!
Has there been a single thread that you haven't been able to come up with some funny remark? hahah

Last edited:
The books on the Kindle are available through Amazon only - since it's Amazon's technology. You purchase the books from them, and they download directly to the device. Since it's essentially an online purchase (you can do it from a computer or right from the Kindle), you have to pay for it list you do any online purchase (usually a credit card). That's where you can have some fun - use an Amazon Visa, and you'll earn gift certificates based on your purchases, which you can then use to buy more books. Amazon does store your history so that you can swap books and other content (newspapers, blogs, etc.) on and off the Kindle. Yes, you can purchase subscriptions to some blogs. It's really cool. (And if I were working, I'd ask for one for myself for Christmas.)

It was Richard Kimble, KG.

I have a Kindle :) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

The only drawback that I have found is if you purchase a recipe book, or a diet book. It is a bit of a pain to flip pages back and forth in a hurry. Otherwise, It's fantastic. There are a few other quirks about it and I'd be happy to share those with anyone who is curious. I actually downloaded Doris Christopher's book to read on the airplane on my way to conference last year!!!!

I was so impressed that I am buying one for each of my 3 children for Christmas. It's nice to know that my last PC paycheck is going to good use -- a debt free Christmas!

jwpamp said:
I was so impressed that I am buying one for each of my 3 children for Christmas. It's nice to know that my last PC paycheck is going to good use -- a debt free Christmas!

If you are planning on ordering them before November 1 you can get $50 off (not sure if it would apply to all 3 or not). Enter promotional code OPRAHWINFREY at check out.

Your kids are SO lucky!! I'm thinking about asking for one for Christmas, just not sure it's in the budget this year though.

I love my Kindle. You can also download Word documents and PDF's. Sometimes the PDF's do not transfer perfectly but the material is all there. I have an on-line class and was able to download all my reading material to my Kindle. I keep my Kindle in my purse and have access to whatever reading material at a glance. I have several versions of the Bible and I take my Kindle to church. You can also add notes. I know I am not using all the features but it is really worth the $$$$$. Your books do not expire. The Kindle is of know use to anyone if it is stolen or you lose it.

1. What is the Kindle and what does it do?

The Kindle is a popular e-reader device created by Amazon. It allows users to download and read digital books, magazines, newspapers, and other types of content. It also has features like adjustable font sizes, a built-in dictionary, and access to the internet for browsing and downloading books.

2. How does the Kindle differ from other e-readers?

The Kindle is known for its high-resolution display, long battery life, and seamless integration with Amazon's vast library of e-books. It also has features like Whispersync, which allows users to sync their reading progress across multiple devices, and X-Ray, which provides additional information about characters and places mentioned in a book.

3. Can I read books on the Kindle without an internet connection?

Yes, you can download books to your Kindle and read them without an internet connection. However, you will need an internet connection to browse and purchase books from the Kindle store.

4. How long does the battery last on a Kindle?

The battery life of a Kindle varies depending on usage, but on average it can last for several weeks on a single charge. This makes it convenient for avid readers who don't want to worry about constantly charging their device.

5. Can I use the Kindle to read other types of documents, like PDFs or Word documents?

Yes, the Kindle has the ability to read PDFs and certain types of Word documents. However, the formatting may not always be perfect, so it's best to test it out with a sample document before relying on it for important documents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
raebates
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies