• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Outrageous Host Demands Coffee After Saving $450 on Party Merchandise!

In summary, the host got $788.75 worth of merchandise for $338.27 at her party. She says she owes the host a coffee on top of it.
AmyDare
I had a party Saturday that will most likely close in the $600 realm. The host got $788.75 worth of merchandise for $338.27...and she says I owe her a coffee on top of it! :eek:
Now, I'm going to get her a $5 Starbucks gift card...but I thought it was pretty cheeky of her to say, "You do owe me a cup of coffee." like she did me a favor or something.
I had run into her at Starbucks after not seeing her for 3 years or so, and was wearing logo wear. Next thing I know she wanted to do a party. Apparently saving $450 wasn't good enough of a reward...I don't know...and I don't know why the $5 Starbucks card is bugging me so much, but it sure is bugging me! :grumpy:

I imagine it's because she seemed to have a sense of entitlement about it.

I wonder if she was sort of joking? And, I'll bet that you'll have a host for life and get referrals all for the cost of a $5 Starbucks card. :D

I would take it as her way of saying she wants to keep in touch, especially when it's someone you hadn't talked to previously in a while. It does sound a bit demanding if you just read it in your post, and of course I wasn't here to hear the tone of voice, but I'm trying hard to see more things in a positive light these days :)

Oh...she told me in person and sent it to me in an email just what I wrote!
Positive light is good, though. I may need a better perspective!! She said she didn't want to re-book right now, but that I can contact her next November. Maybe she'll think differently later--she's coming to parties that book off hers. Her party was kind of wild. She had a gold buying gal in the garage, me in the kitchen, and her daughter's specialty jewelry in the living room. She didn't even get to see much of the demo, so it wasn't a "regular" cooking show. It was interesting, though! I'll be going by tomorrow with a Starbucks card.

Amy, why don't you invite her out for coffee one day on you. That'd give you time to reflect on her party. Heck, why not offer her the business opportunity. What's the worst that could happen? She'd say no!? Just a thought.

I agree with Tropical Amy. If someone told me I owe them a coffee, I'd assume they want to schedule a time when we can enjoy it together. And, should the subject of starting her own business come up, well . . .

I agree with Amy and Sarah. I don't even drink coffee, but I'd choke some down in order to have a few quality minutes with her and give someone else the opportunity to be a part of this great company!!

I think it's about spending time together. If I got a $5 card in the mail after saying that I might be embarrassed and not host another show. Coffee is what you share with friends. You linger over it.

Plus, even if she did want a free coffee - you just made a minimum of $120! Meet her for coffee, get her to sign up, keep building the relationship for future business or maybe meet to renew the friendship. Sounds like she might just want girl time and doesn't know how to get together...

Last edited:
Sounds like she owes YOU coffee for helping get her so much stuff at such a huge discount! :D

I have a host who 4 of her guests are booking....she wanted to know what she'll receive for ALL those bookings. The host specials were not enough, in her own mind....what would you offer?

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I have a host who 4 of her guests are booking....she wanted to know what she'll receive for ALL those bookings. The host specials were not enough, in her own mind....what would you offer?

Good gracious! People just get greedy! Where would it stop? She tells her friends she's getting extra...they get bookings at THEIR shows, and they expect the same thing in return. I wouldn't offer anything else personally. Does that make me mean?

esavvymom said:
Good gracious! People just get greedy! Where would it stop? She tells her friends she's getting extra...they get bookings at THEIR shows, and they expect the same thing in return. I wouldn't offer anything else personally. Does that make me mean?

LOL....I agree. Lately, it seems everyone is hinting at bonuses. I've run into a lot of hosts who no longer have consultants in the biz....seems *their* consultants did this or that. To a few hosts, I've been blunt and said they're not in biz because they gave their profits away. For others, I may throw in something SMALL (cause I'm cheap)....

Since this one is in DS and offers incentives to her hosts....she's hoping for something in turn. I'll go ahead and give her a *bonus*....she's not to tell her guests (he he)....any ideas?

Laurie, you could offer her an extra 10% discount on her purchases at the 3rd and 4th shows (since she seems to feel you owe her something to extra bookings.) This way she gets a 20% discount, but it only costs you half that.

Sometimes during host coaching when I mention the booking benefit, I'll comment how one of the (many) things I like about PC is that they are so incredibly generous to the host...and that consultants don't have to ever feel pressured to offer incentives using their family's income.

(It's a real peeve of mine, that some think it's okay to ask you to take money away from your family, so they get an extra freebie.)

I agree that it's probably more of a "let's sit down & re-connect" vs. a "send me a gift card" kind of comment. ;)

I forgot to mention in my post that she was probably making an attempt at humor. Often people say something jokingly, but the people they're talking to think they're serious.

legacypc46 said:
Laurie, you could offer her an extra 10% discount on her purchases at the 3rd and 4th shows (since she seems to feel you owe her something to extra bookings.) This way she gets a 20% discount, but it only costs you half that.

Sometimes during host coaching when I mention the booking benefit, I'll comment how one of the (many) things I like about PC is that they are so incredibly generous to the host...and that consultants don't have to ever feel pressured to offer incentives using their family's income.

(It's a real peeve of mine, that some think it's okay to ask you to take money away from your family, so they get an extra freebie.)

I love this idea! Thanks. I think that's what I'll do. I've been trying to see what to offer, and this works out wonderfully. I think I'll need to make sure to stress the details of the booking benefits in my host coaching. I review them with the host, but apparently need to spell it out better. I like your idea of mentioning my family's income. :)

Glad I could help. The irony is, when I have a host who is just a joy and delight to know and work with, I end up throwing in a couple freebies anyway. :)

legacypc46 said:
Glad I could help. The irony is, when I have a host who is just a joy and delight to know and work with, I end up throwing in a couple freebies anyway. :)

Exactly....but I know they'll love whatever I pick because it's an unexpected and happy bonus. I get stuck when I'm asked for more, because I do not know what they expect and don't want to give too little in their minds, nor give too much in my mind.

I'm closing another host's show...she too asked what happens because of all these bookings? I explained the benefits and she let it rest, though I think she had hoped for more. BUT she did not say so, or ask. Her show is at 1436!!! She may make it to 1500. I'm adding a SB and 2 rubs to her order as a thank you and I know she'll love it. So, both of us are happy. Those I do not mind....

I think that it's normal for people to want to know what they get from bookings, because in most DS businesses, you don't get a lot of the discounts and extras at your show unless you get bookings, like you have to have 2 bookings and you get this, if you get 4 bookings you get this and this, type thing... So, they don't necessarily not think they're getting enough, it's just not what they're used to. I think for most people once you explain how our benefits and bonuses work, they are quite satisfied and if they're not then they're greedy. I agree, if you feel that you want to add a little something extra if the host did a good job and was pleasant, but I wouldn't feel obligated to do anything extra just because she wants to know what she gets.
As far as the coffee, I would just take it that she wants to meet for coffee and visit, so like the others have said, invite her to coffee and offer the business, but I wouldn't give her a Starbucks gift card....
But, I am not one of those consultants that do a lot of extra, most of my hosts (especially the ones that have great shows because they worked at it) are thrilled with all of the stuff that they get, and I usually ooh and ahh over all of their free stuff "OMG, look at all of this stuff you're getting for free!!!", I may give a SB to her before or after the show, but I don't even usually do it in front of the guests, because like someone else said, if you do it for one and they know about it, they'll all expect it!

She may have been remembering when you got extra bonus points for someone hosting a show off of yours. Remind her she gets the 60% off host special at their show, and how cool that is. Keep it simple!

Ok...I really feel bad now...I guess I shouldn't have taken it the way she said it. Today as part of an email exchange we were having about her wish list, she wrote: "You still owe me a cup of coffee. Call me at work some day when you can meet around 11:30. Not anytime soon, I just want to know how your business is doing. I feel you have a special gift for selling and demonstrating these products."
That was really sweet!
Amy

AmyDare said:
Ok...I really feel bad now...I guess I shouldn't have taken it the way she said it. Today as part of an email exchange we were having about her wish list, she wrote: "You still owe me a cup of coffee. Call me at work some day when you can meet around 11:30. Not anytime soon, I just want to know how your business is doing. I feel you have a special gift for selling and demonstrating these products."
That was really sweet!
Amy

Wow! That is awesome. Hopefully you haven't sent her the Starbucks card already. :)

She sounds like she really is interested in talking more about the business opportunity. Don't wait to long to schedule a coffee date with her!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:

A thank you note and the opportunity to start her own biz, since obviously so many of her friends love PC!

LOL Kara....good point. I mentioned it, but she's doing well in another DS company. I like her, and want her to be thrilled that she hosted a show. She conducts her biz with offers & all sorts of extra (out of pocket) incentives, and assumed I do the same. I told her all about the booking benefit that PC offers and that I typically do not offer beyond that since they're such great deals. I also told her I was willing to make an exception, but that I had to think about an offer. I also suggested she think on it and that we could find a happy medium. She has mentioned several times that she "chose" me because she wanted to be sure her guests would appreciate who she exposed them to (lol, her words, not mine). She mentioned she's very picky about who she chooses, and apparently has a list of criteria - which I do not know how I met! I want to leave her happy with her decision in choosing me, and I want her to only have great raves for PC....so I'll add a bonus for her, and all will be well.

I'm going to run that extra 10% discount for shows 3&4 as mentioned above and see how that fares with her. Extra and unnecessary? yes, but at least I know we leave on a FAB note and who knows what other biz may come my way for a small gesture. :)

I just had to share:
I had a gal come to one of my shows and I had on these cute ballet flats (I LOVE SHOES!!!) and she made the comment that she would book a show if she could have my shoes. So I figured she was joking so I joked back with "sure, if you can stand the smell" So the day of her show comes and I have the shoes on and she kept on mentioning about the shoes until it got "weird". So I finally said, "You know, I'll gladly give you my shoes and go home barefoot if I can have your dog (CUTE little daschund!!!)." That shut her up since now the shoe (hee! hee! bad pun!) was on the other foot! I still have the shoes and laugh every time I wear them as I think of her. I just might mail them to her when I get tired of them...lol!

Glad to know that everyone else was correct that the host wanted to connect with you! You can still pay with the gift card you bought for her...just hand it to your director first and tell your director to give it back to you as a congratulations for having a great month! Then you can honestly tell your friend/host that the gift card was a little extra reward you got for doing your job well! ;-)

I'd love to do that...but my director is in Minnesota and I'm in California, and my reach just isn't that long ;-)
I don't go to Starbucks that much...but I love their chai. Just getting a tea from there will be my reward, I think! It is going to be a great month...I'm looking forward to it! My recruit might qualify in her 30 days, which will get both of us the pre-halloween reward. I'm basically giving her a show next Wednesday to help her qualify, but I have two other shows, a booth, a fund raiser, and a catalog show, so I should at least reach $1500 and get the free Spring products, so I'm really excited!

1. What is Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef is a direct sales company that offers high-quality kitchen tools and products through in-home cooking demonstrations.

2. What are "outrageous host demands"?

"Outrageous host demands" refer to requests made by a party host that are beyond what is typically expected or offered by Pampered Chef consultants.

3. How much can a host save on party merchandise?

A host can save up to $450 on party merchandise by hosting a successful Pampered Chef party. This amount may vary depending on the total sales and discounts offered by the consultant.

4. Can a host request coffee as a reward for their party's success?

While it is not a typical reward offered by Pampered Chef, hosts can make special requests for certain rewards, such as coffee. However, it is ultimately up to the consultant to decide if they are able to accommodate these requests.

5. How can I become a host and save on party merchandise?

To become a host and save on party merchandise, you can contact a Pampered Chef consultant and schedule a party. You can also join as a consultant and host your own parties to receive discounts and rewards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SherryLynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Dotty
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
  • cheflorraine