• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Welcome to the Internet Asylum - Meet TPampered Chef's Microcosm!

In summary, the forum is a great place to meet new people and learn about various topics. It is also a playground where people can experiment and have fun. Be sure to read posts before posting, and be respectful of other users.
Huh? After all my work it's not even an even 3000??? I checked each '1000' level NOT by the 500's! Man! Okay folks...

The stars are rewards for posting. You get an outline, or "stripper" star at 1,000 posts, I think you get a yellow star at 2,500, pink at 4,000 and blue at 7,000. There is a multi-color star awarded at 10,000 posts.

Thanks Cat!

A note about jokesA couple of years ago, the board was starting to get cluttered up with jokes. Everyone who got a new joke via email was posting them as a new thread and it made it difficult to filter through the jokes in order to find the threads of interest.

We started a joke thread to take care of that, it's called The Official Continuing Discussion of American Humor.

Think before posting. If you can't tell it at church, it might not be appropriate for this forum. That said, we're all adults here and a little bit of adult humor among friends is fine. Still, people who post such jokes will usually preface the joke with an ADULT CONTENT warning, that way, those who aren't interested can skip it, like this one or this one.

Oh, you might want to search the thread before you post your joke, someone might have already posted it there.

I apologize beforehand if this was covered in the manual. It's late, I'm tired, and am just getting over swine flu. Anywho....

How do you get multiple quotes in your posts? I hit that multiple quotes button, but nothing.

Appreciate the help.

Right beside the "Quote button is a button that looks like a piece of paper with quotation marks on it. That's the multi-quote button. Click that for any quotes you want included. Click the "Quote button for the final quote. Make sense?

Use this one for the first (second, third, fourth, etc.) quote
multiquote_off.gif
like this one:

Saturday Gourmet said:
I apologize beforehand if this was covered in the manual. It's late, I'm tired, and am just getting over swine flu. Anywho....

How do you get multiple quotes in your posts? I hit that multiple quotes button, but nothing.

Appreciate the help.

Then use the Quote button
quote.gif
for the last quote you want to use:
raebates said:
Right beside the "Quote button is a button that looks like a piece of paper with quotation marks on it. That's the multi-quote button. Click that for any quotes you want included. Click the "Quote button for the final quote.

Make sense?

Then just add your text. The Mulitple Quote Button
multiquote_off.gif
adds the quotes to a clipboard but does nothing with them until you press the Quote button
quote.gif
and everything you selected will appear in your new post dialog.

Good question!

Wow! I've been doing that one the hard way! Copying and pasting, and manually putting the "quote" on...thanks for that info!!! Just goes to show me that I can always learn something new!

raebates said:
Right beside the "Quote button is a button that looks like a piece of paper with quotation marks on it. That's the multi-quote button. Click that for any quotes you want included. Click the "Quote button for the final quote.

Make sense?

OMG!! Thank you! I was hitting the multi-quote button, but didn't know to hit the "Quote" button when I was on the last one.

Thanks Rae and KG! Ya'll are the best.

nikked said:
Wow! I've been doing that one the hard way! Copying and pasting, and manually putting the "quote" on...thanks for that info!!! Just goes to show me that I can always learn something new!

I was about to start doing the same thing. I had been just quoting each one and I'd have like 4 different posts. Would hate to be labled a "post slut". LOL...hmmmmm, that would get me my stripper star sooner...MWWWAAAHAHAHAH! J/K

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for asking this. I've tried several times in the past, but didn't ever figure it out. Now it makes sense! :)

OMG I'm loving this, I just joined the other day and another member informed me about this thread. Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful information and funny humor at the bottom of every post. I will continue reading tomorrow! :)

~Heather

I know this thread is a sticky, but I'm sure many members (like me), just gravitate toward the "New Posts" button to read updated threads. I wanted to bump this onto that list, since we do have plenty of new folks, and there are lots of helpful hints in here.

The "Thank You!" Icon and Reputation FeatureAdmin Greg has added a feature for expressing thanks to users for making a specific post.In the past, threads might often get clogged with extra posts by people expressing gratitude for making a certain post or starting a specific thread. Now you can express your gratitude without making a post. At the bottom of the Cheffer's profile panel on the left side of their post, you'll find a small, green "Thumbs Up" icon.
the_kitchen_guy-albums-bucket-picture1729-reputation-icon.gif
When you see a post that you particularly like, click on the
the_kitchen_guy-albums-bucket-picture1729-reputation-icon.gif
icon to the left of the post, in the user's profile panel. You'll get a small pop-up box…
the_kitchen_guy-albums-bucket-picture1730-reputation-box.jpg
…that will allow you to write a nice note to the poster, which will appear to them in their profile page. When you've typed your message, click on the Add to Reputation bar and your message will be sent to the user. You'll also add to their reputation points, which adds the little green bar beneath their information in their profile panel. (You can probably figure out how to tell them something other than a complimentary comment but you're on your own for that one.)With any luck at all, someone will favorably add to your reputation, too!For more information, see Greg's thread, "New 'thank you' reputation feature.'"

LIKE and UNLIKE a postAdmin Greg has added yet another feature to the site!

You can now "Like" a post, in addition to being able to add to someone's reputation for a specific post.

On the lower right side of each post, you will see the word "Like" and if you click on it, you will add to the list of those Cheffers who "Like" the post.

And, if you later decide maybe you DON'T like it so much anymore, you can "Unlike" it.

aola.gif

Morning Update, April 27, 2012Happy birthday, Paige.

There were no new developments in Paige's case yesterday. No news, no new developments.

In news of Candles for Paige we had 19 candles as of this post. Remember, candles go out after 48 hours so keep lighting candles for Paige, her family and her three children.

Instructions for lighting candles for Paige are in the Missing thread, in this post.

On this date in History...

...in 1822, Hiram Ulysses Grant was born in Point Pleasant, Ohio, the son of a tanner. He showed little enthusiasm for his father's trade, so the elder Grant secured an appointment to West Point through Ohio Congressman Thomas L. Hamer, who listed him as "Ulysses S. Grant of Ohio." Grant accepted the name and began to use it as initials only, because US also stood for Uncle Sam. His nickname, then, became Sam. His skills and reputation as an excellent, and fearless, horseman which would make him a natural for the cavalry. In usual army fashion, he was assigned to a regimental quartermaster to manage supplies and equipment. He saw service in the Mexican-American war under Zachery Taylor and Winfield Scott and even though he was with the quartermaster, he was close enough to the lines to see action. Grant was opposed to the war but was able to observe and judge the actions of commanders. The war ended in 1848, and Grant was assigned to Fort Vancouver. His wife was pregnant but not with him as his pay grade could not support a family in the wilderness. Grant took up serious drinking. He was promoted to Captain and transferred to Fort Humboldt, California. Not long after, he resigned his commission. Rumors persisted that the CO of the fort found him drunk, but there is no evidence to support that theory. Still, he was known to be a heavy drinker. In 1861, after the Confederates attacked Fort Sumter and President Lincoln put out his call for volunteers, Grant recruited a company of volunteers and became a brigadier general in the Illinois militia. Later, he became part of the Union army again. He had beaten the drinking but took up chain smoking cigars. After routing the Confederates at Shiloh, he received 10,000 boxes of cigars from grateful fans. After a decisive victory at Vicksburg, he caught the eye of President Lincoln. Lincoln had been plagued with a series of incompetent generals and hired Grant to be Lieutenant General, a rank held previously by only George Washington. As the Supreme Commander of the Army, Grant led a series of bloody and epic battles against Robert E. Lee, eventually accepting Lee's surrender at Appomattox Courthouse, ending the Civil War. He was elected to the office of President in 1868. Unfortunately, Grant was a better general than president, his administration was full of corruption, including the Black Friday gold scandal of Jay Gould. He did, however, pass the Third Force Act that slowed the Ku Klux Klan and the Civil Rights Act in 1875 that was the first attempt to desegregate public buildings, rest rooms, transportation and housing. After his presidency, he and his wife traveled Europe, spawning a line in the Bing Crosby version of McNamara's Band. He had made some unwise investments and by 1880, he was broke. Grant had forfeited his army pension when he became president, and there was no presidential pension in those days. He did, however, write his memoirs of the Civil War thanks to an incredible offer from Mark Twain, that was hailed as one of the best memoirs ever written. It sold well, and after his death from cancer in 1885, the family received royalties of $450,000.00. Congress passed a presidential pension in 1958 because of him, so a past president would never be destitute again. Who's buried in Grant's tomb? Ulysses S. Grant and his wife, Julia Boggs Dent Grant.

USGrant.gif

The familiar portrait of General U.S. Grant
at Cold Harbor in 1864, by Matthew Brady.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Series2004NoteFront_50.jpg
An even more familiar portrait of U.S. Grant

...in 1954, the Bing Crosby-Danny Kay film White Christmas debuted. The film was the first film made in Vista-Vision, the Paramount name for the wide screen process. Wide screen technique was not actually new, in fact, it had been around since the 1920s but was not used because of the extra expense involved. By the 1950s, Hollywood studios were in fear of a new competitor - television. The other studios used the wide screen system called CinemaScope. VistaVision shot horizontally on 35mm film to allow the wider image. The final print was reduced to fit 35mm film in the traditional vertical alignment. The process was higher resolution than CinemaScope but very expensive. Paramount abandoned the process soon after they started to use it. The VistaVision cameras wound up in Europe and Japan and were used there for many years. The process was also used to shoot special effects, later merged into films, for notable science fiction films and other features. Some of the VistaVision effects were used in the Star Wars franchise, Star Trek films, Indiana Jones and even Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

140px-Bing_Crosby_and_Danny_Kaye_in_White_Christmas_trailer_2.jpg

140px-Vera-Ellen_and_Rosemary_Clooney_in_White_Christmas_trailer_2.jpg

Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye
Vera Ellen and Rosemary Clooney
in
White Christmas.

...in -4977 B.C., the universe was created. Well, at least to the 16th Century German mathematician and astronomer, Johannes Kepler. Kepler, often considered to be the father of modern science, is remembered for his work in optics and an improved refracting telescope, and for his explanations of the movement of planets. Using math formulae, he explained that the planets' orbits are elliptical and not circular, and that planets speed up in their orbits as they approach the sun and slow down as they move away. His work greatly influenced Sir Isaac Newton some years later. Kepler died in Regensberg in 1630. When the Big Bang theory was developed in the 20th Century, they found that Kepler's birth date of the universe was slightly off, by about 13.7 billion years.

225px-Johannes_Kepler_1610.jpg

Johannes Kepler in 1610, artist unknown.

That's it. That's all we know as of 12:01 AM, EDT.

Oops. Wrong Post.Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

Greg has rolled out a new version of CS, based on a different platform with a number of differences from the old platform.As a result, a lot of the info in this thread is obsolete, but I'm not sure just what yet. I'm making this up as I go along, and as I see differences, I'll let you know.For example, you can still multi-quote, it is a toggle. Click on +Quote to toggle Multi-Quote on, click it again to toggle it off. Graphics are still read in from other websites using the same html codes. You can also import graphics now by using the "Upload a File" button below the editing window. Acceptable file types are zip, txt, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, jpe and gif. If you don't know what those are, you probably weren't going to use the tool anyway. o_O
Here's a file I imported just now:
IMG_7337-10.jpg

Milwaukee's Kilbourn Street Bridge, west leaf, in the fully open position.You also have the option of placing a thumbnail into your post, the reader can click on the thumbnail image to open the file. Like this one: IMG_4517c.jpg
Milwaukee City Hall, which you might have seen
in the opening of every episode of
Laverne and Shirley.
Yes, I am serious, and don't call me Shirley!
aola.gif
Have fun snooping around the new layout!

A couple more observations this morning…1) Be careful about what you post - it appears there is no editing once a short window for fixing errors closes. Once your entry is posted, there is an opportunity to fix it, but once that window closes, you post is here forever. Several of the usual suspects, like Miss Spelling, Grandma Terical Errors, and General Goofiness will remain here for everyone to laugh at.2) The "Like" feature has moved to the lower right hand corner but works the same way as the old "Like" feature.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Once your entry is posted, there is an opportunity to fix it, but once that window closes, you post is here forever
I can make this window a bit larger

I'd like to have my window propped open with a stick. :D

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • emiscookin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views