• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover Your Next Favorite Read with the Cheffers' Book Club

In summary, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. Yesterday, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. In summary, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. Yesterday, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I just finished the 15th in the Stephanie Plum series. I can tell it's the 15th book in the series because it's called Finger Lickin' Fifteen.

It has everything you expect in a Stephanie Plum novel - everything - and a little extra for those of you who missed some of the standard fare in the last couple of Plum novels.

Be prepared to laugh out loud - if you read in bed while your bedmate is sleeping, well, just be warned.

51%2Btn4BDKlL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I saw this in the store (I'm also a fan) -- glad to hear it is worth the read!

I'm currently reading an older Joy Fielding book, Don't Cry Now -- very good, as are all her books.

gailz2 said:
I saw this in the store (I'm also a fan) -- glad to hear it is worth the read!

Evanovich books are like pizza - even when they're bad, they're pretty good.

I recently read the first 2 books in the "Inheritance" series 1st was "Eragon", 2nd is "Eldest" Both were good. I am on the waiting list for book 3 "Brisinger"

Also finally read "The Notebook" it was good, had seen the movie many times. Pretty quick read. I finished it in about 4 hours.

I started to read The Whole Truth by David Baldacci - but am having a hard time 'getting into' it, KWIM?

I am currently reading Malice by Lisa Jackson

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Evanovich books are like pizza - even when they're bad, they're pretty good.

I agree!!! Evanovich knows how to write a good book!! And yes, even bad pizza is good!!

My mom should have this by now...I will have to call her and start bugging for it!!

I just started My Sister's Keeper...

I love the Stephanie Plum books by Evanovich. The only bad thing is that they make me crave donuts. I'll call the library and ask to be put on the waiting list.

raebates said:
I love the Stephanie Plum books by Evanovich. The only bad thing is that they make me crave donuts. I'll call the library and ask to be put on the waiting list.

I want to thank all of you who recommended this series. I love the characters (Grandma is just a scream). They make wonderful summer reads but I'm sure I'll be enjoying them until I run out. Currently reading number 6. KG, you're right about reading in bed and laughing out loud. I love that she can't seem to keep a car. . .except for "the Buick". These are not great literary works of art, just a lot of fun! :)

I just got done reading the factual recount of Columbine by Dave Cullen- some parts were hard to get through, but a must read for all school counselors and parents of teenagers. On a much lighter note I am happy to say that I am about to start "Nights in Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks!

Well I finished My Sisters Keeper last week and read Evanovich's Finger Lickin' Fifteen in about 3 hours. FABULOUS!!! She is so fun to read and my DD kept having to come ask me what was so funny. It was great!!!

Time for a...
bump-1.gif

I'm in the final pages of
INhouseReading04.gif
The Shadow of the Wind (La sombra del viento) a 2001 novel by Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and a worldwide bestseller.

The book was translated into English in 2004 by Lucia Graves and published in the US by Penguin Books 0-14-303490-1. I can't remember the last time I was so drawn into the pages of a book and swept up in a such a complex and interwoven story. (Well, The Hunt for Red October, perhaps.) Ruiz has created a story within a story with angels, demons, and a young man coming of age. Young Daniel finds himself ensnared in a life he did not choose yet he must deal with the consequences of his choices and the effects those choices have on those around him. Lust, murder, political intrigue, espionage and everyday life collide in the young man who has found a hero that others despise for reasons he just cannot fathom.

The women in this book are (almost) all angelic and ephemeral and the main character seems almost Quixotic - even his best friend appears to be Sancho Panza-esque, with the exception of being very intelligent and far more worldly.

IMHO, this is a MUST READ book to put on your reading list, especially if you are a fan of romance. ;) But be prepared - this is not a light read. The story is very complex, there are a lot of characters to keep track of, yet, every character has an important role in the story. It is, in a word, a page-turner.

I guess i'm an eclectic reader: Diane mott davidson tymara meyers both write culunary mysteries... To anne rice vampire series/witch series to her little known sleeping beauty series(not for children)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Time for a...
bump-1.gif

I'm in the final pages of
INhouseReading04.gif
The Shadow of the Wind (La sombra del viento) a 2001 novel by Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and a worldwide bestseller.

Sounds good. I just checked for availability at my library. . . they have it!

KG

Just got done reading The Shadow of the Wind. I loved it! :love: Mystery, romance and action. Thank you for sharing this title.

I'm not sure there can be much better for a person who loves books than a book about books. :)

You're most welcome! It's very high up on my list of all-time favorite books.

Of course, it might not look so good next to one of my other all-time favorite books, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash, but then, I have eclectic tastes.

Of course, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash is a collection of short stories by Jean Shepherd, and several of the short stories are the basis of A Christmas Story, some people's favorite Christmas movie.

Hi all

I did not read all posts here, but I have to share that I am reading Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels.. HBO has done True Blood, but her books are so so much better than the series. So if you're into vampires, werewolves, and adventure, love this is for you!

Ya know, these vampire stories all suck.
rimshot.gif

I just read Dear John and The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. 2 great books. I can't wait to see how the last song is in the movie.

yes vampire stories suck, but the werewolves bite... ha ha but I love to read em...

Jen1409 said:
I just read Dear John and The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. 2 great books. I can't wait to see how the last song is in the movie.

I have yet to see a Nicholas Sparks movie that ends without someone dying. You think it's going to be a happy ending and then he dies! :cry:

My reading consists of Nicholas Sparks and now the Twilight series. I don't get much time to read plus I am asleep after 2 pages...no matter how interesting the book is:grumpy:.

I have had the Last Song and Eclipse started since last fall. With spring coming it I won't be reading much until summer.

pampered.chris said:
Well I finished My Sisters Keeper last week and read Evanovich's Finger Lickin' Fifteen in about 3 hours. FABULOUS!!! She is so fun to read and my DD kept having to come ask me what was so funny. It was great!!!

I am on 14 right now and have read all of them in just the last couple of months - and I just wanted to add a note here to say that I just read that One for the Money is being made into a movie and will be released in 2012. They have already started filming. Kathrine Heigle (I know I spelled that all wrong, I think) is playing Stephanie, although Evanovich really wanted Sandra Bullock. I think the casting for Ranger is really good but from the pictures of the guy they cast for Joe, he seems older than I had pictured. I'm not sure who they cast for Grandma - that's gonna be a hoot!

This summer I've been reading a trilogy -

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire

and am just starting The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.

Excellent thrillers!

Stephanie Plum rocks. Love the whole series.

I've been reading mostly non-fiction lately (I seem to go in cycles between fiction and non-fiction). I'd like to stongly recommend my latest read. If I could afford it, I would buy a copy for everyone I care about.

Its entitled The Brain That Changes Itself. The book is a very readable update on the latest understanding of the brain, it's flexibilty and its ability to adjust to damage (neuroplasticity). Before your eyes glaze over: it is incredibly eye-opening and touches on everything from how the brain develops in children to injuries/recovery to the latest understanding of Dementia/Alzheimers and its prevention.

I bought it because of a fall I had nine months ago that resulted in a concussion. For awhile, it was exhausting to read, I had difficultly comprehending what I read, and generally struggled to think clearly. I still haven't recovered to where I was before my injury and have to make constant adjustments to how I do some things. I read this book to help me understand how I can regain some of the cognitive skills I lost. I got so much more out of it.

Like I said, if I could afford to buy a copy for everyone I care about, I would.

Want to really shake up your thinking? Read The Element by Ken Robinson. It's excellent. It's about finding that sweet spot of doing exactly what you were created to do.

ChefBeckyD said:
This summer I've been reading a trilogy -

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire

and am just starting The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.

Excellent thrillers!

That's my summer reading material! Wonderful page turners.

I'm just getting into The Girl Who Played With Fire because I had to pause to read Sizzling Sixteen. Can't get much more diametrically opposed. After not having laughed much (at all?) through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo it seemed strange to be cracking up just reading the inside cover of Stephanie Plum's latest adventures. It was great to be reunited with my old friends.

cookin to the top said:
I recently read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". A crazy title, but a must read! I LOVED it!
Super Book~! A must read...thoroughly enjoyed the style and the substance and LOVED the ending!Must also say that I love reading Jan Karon's Mitford series, JRR Tolkien...anything!, and Jane Austen. Can read them over, over, over.......

ChefCKHall said:
Super Book~! A must read...thoroughly enjoyed the style and the substance and LOVED the ending!

Must also say that I love reading Jan Karon's Mitford series, JRR Tolkien...anything!, and Jane Austen. Can read them over, over, over.......
That may be my all time favorite series. I can take them out and re-read them over and over. Very few books like that.

I cant remember the authors but 2 women co author the potluck club series they are wonderful
one is takes the cake
i think there are 5 or 6 total
have had janet evanovichs newest book since it came out cant get past page 31 and I LOVE her books

Hey Chef Becky I am reading girl with a dragon tatoo - Didn't like it at first but stayed with it and its really good now.. Hubby bought the movie too we'll watch that when I am done. On a side note I am reading The house of night novel "Marked" by PC Cast, its good if you like vampires and spells in highschool!

cewcooks said:
Hey Chef Becky I am reading girl with a dragon tatoo - Didn't like it at first but stayed with it and its really good now.. Hubby bought the movie too we'll watch that when I am done. On a side note I am reading The house of night novel "Marked" by PC Cast, its good if you like vampires and spells in highschool!

Yeah, I was fortunate to have an employee at the bookstore tell me that the first 90 pages were hard to get through (all of the plot set-up, and character intros) but if I kept reading it would get really good. The 2nd and 3rd books start off much quicker. In fact, the 3rd one takes up right where the 2nd one leaves off, so you feel like it's just a continuation of the book.

ChefBeckyD said:
Yeah, I was fortunate to have an employee at the bookstore tell me that the first 90 pages were hard to get through (all of the plot set-up, and character intros) but if I kept reading it would get really good. The 2nd and 3rd books start off much quicker. In fact, the 3rd one takes up right where the 2nd one leaves off, so you feel like it's just a continuation of the book.

Agreed! The legal and financial stuff in the beginning made for a VERY slow start.

cookin to the top said:
I recently read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". A crazy title, but a must read! I LOVED it!

I think the best word for it is "quirky." I thoroughly enjoyed it! POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT! The last few chapters seem a little rushed and the story line was just a little too neatly tied into a bow. It turns out the author died before it was finished.

kristenlee said:
Stephanie Plum rocks. Love the whole series.

I just finished Sizzling Sixteen. I'll withhold comment until everyone has had a chance to read it!

The Furry Guy bought some boxes of books at an auction on Saturday. Included in them were two books illustrated by Salvador Dali, The Favorite Works of Mark Twain, The Wizard of Oz, and Uncle Wiggly on Sugar Island. The Furry Guy is keeping a textbook on welding. There is also a book written in German. There are songs and text. A friend of ours has been studying in Germany. When she returns in a couple of weeks he'll give that one to her.

That's so cool, any first editions? It's also great to hear that other title - when I talk about Uncle Wiggly, people look at me like I have carrots growing out of my ears.

You should be used to that look by now. I know I am. ;)No first editions as far as I could see. Interesting to look through the books, though. I'm always tempted to keep them all, but the house is filled with books already. I kept a few, though.

cewcooks said:
yes vampire stories suck, but the werewolves bite... ha ha but I love to read em...

HAHA! I just finished the Twilight series and LOVED it! I almost hate to admit that I have started to re-read it!

I love the Harry Potter series.

Anything Karen Kingsbury. She is Christian author who is known for Life Changing Fiction. Her Baxter Family series is amazing. It currently has 18 books in the series and she is working on 4 more!

I love Terri Blackstock. She writes Christian thrillers.

When I start a book it is hard to get me to stop. I think in the last month I have read 12 books!

nene960 said:
HAHA! I just finished the Twilight series and LOVED it! I almost hate to admit that I have started to re-read it!

I have read the Twilight series twice too!

I love reading the teen sci fi novels... I'm in the middle of Dark Shadows by Melissa Marr which is the latest book in the Wicked Lovely series. But I'm having a hard time finishing it... so I bought another book to speed me along.

My favorite series has been "The Mortal Instruments" by Cassandra Clare... City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass. If you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Twilight, and all those other fantasy, faeire, novels, you'll LOVE this series!

There were no new developments in Paige's case yesterday. No news, no new developments.

In news of Candles for Paige we had XXX candles as of this post. Remember, candles go out after 48 hours so keep lighting candles for Paige, her family and her three children.

Instructions for lighting candles for Paige are in the Missing thread, in this post.

On This Day In History...

...in 1787, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America." On this date, the preamble you just read became the law of the land as the Constitution was ratified. Have you ever read it? I mean, have you ever actually read it? The amendments and phrases get tossed around pretty freely, and it is painfully obvioius that many who talk about it have never read it, let alone, understand it. You can read it on the website of the US Constitution. Read it soon. The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Constitution_Pg1of4_AC.jpg/220px-Constitution_Pg1of4_AC.jpg

...in 1976, (THAT'S the spirit!) NASA unveiled the first space shuttle, Enterprise, in California. Enterprise became the first shuttle to fly when it was launched from a specially equipped Boeing 747 at 25,000 feet. It glided back to Edwards AFB with no trouble. Columbia was launched on April 12, 1981 on the first mission and returned, unpowered, to Edwards AFB. The navigational computer was a Hewlett-Packard hand-held calculator, a model 41-C. The Challenger exploded at 00:01:14 into a mission on January 28, 1986, killing all seven astronauts, setting the program back at least 2 years. Sadly, on February 1, 2003, the venerable Columbia disintigrated on re-entry. All seven astronauts perished in that tradgedy. Despite all that, the fleet of shuttles successfully completed many missions, including satillite launching, repair and recovery, scientific measurements, repair of the Hubble Telescope, not to mention, the building, equiping, and support of the International Space Station. A new shuttle fleet was in development, to replace the fleet of craft that uses 35+ year old designs, but the project has not received any new funding and has stopped. Until another way is found into space, Americans will ride on Russian Soyuz launch and space vehicles.

Space_shuttle_enterprise_star_trek.jpg

The Enterprise premiered at the Palmdale manufacturing facility in 1976 with members
of the cast and crew of
Star Trek television series. L to R, Dr. James Fletcher of NASA,
DeForest Kelly, George Takei, James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, Leonard Nimoy, Gene Roddenberry,
George Low of NASA, and Walter Koenig.

...in 1862, the Battle of Antietam became the bloodiest day in American history. General Robert E. Lee and his army of Northern Virginia fought General George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac fought to a draw along the banks of the Maryland creek. McClellan did not know that he held a huge numerical advantage over Lee, and for some unknown reason, did not follow him as Lee retreated into Virginia. (Some historians say that had McClellan given pursuit, the war could have ended shortly after Antietam.) A week later, President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. This changed the focus of the war from unification to both unification and the end of slavery.

...in 1916, Manfred von Richtofen shot down his first enemy plane over Cambrai, France during WWI. Von Richtofen was the son of nobility and became a star pupil of the leading German pilot. He shot down British Second Leftenant Lionel Morris. Von Richtofen followed the aircraft down, and landed where it did. Leftenant Morris and his copilot had mortal wounds, and von Richtofen honored him by placing a marker on the grave. After his first confirmed victory on this date, he ordered a silver cup from a jeweller in Berlin, engraved with the date and type of aircraft he shot down. He continued to do this until he had 60 cups, at which time, silver became too scarse in Germany. Near the end of the war, von Richtofen was assigned a new plane, a Fokker triplane, which he had painted bright red to honor his old cavalry regiment. Although he only flew the plane for 8 months, he is best remembered for it and the nicknames it earned for him. In Gemany, he was known as Der Rote Kampffleiger (The Red Battle Flier) while he was alive. That name was used for the title of his 1917 autobiography. In France, he was known as Le Diable Rouge ("The Red Devil") and Le Petit Rouge (Little Red.) It was not until after his death that he became known as Der Rote Baron, The Red Baron. On April 21, 1918, The Red Baron was shot down and killed over the Somme River (not by Snoopy in a Sopwith Camel, either) after he had shot down 80 enemy aircraft, securing his place in history as one of the greatest air aces of World War I, in fact, of all time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/64/Mvrredbaron.jpg/200px-Mvrredbaron.jpg
Manfred Freihaerr von Richthofen
"Freihaerr" is a German title of nobility,
similar to a baron in England. He is
shown wearing the Blue Max, the
highest military award offered by
Germany at the time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/RoteBaron.JPG/800px-RoteBaron.J
A replica of von Richtofen's Fokker Dr 1. Although he is most associated with this aircraft, he did not use the Dr 1
that much and he probably had less than 20 of his 80 kills using the Fokker Dr 1.

That's it. That's all we know as of 12:01 AM, EDT.

Personal comment: It somehow seems rather rude to remember one
of the greatest fliers of all time by naming a frozen pizza after him.

Back