• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover Your Next Favorite Read with the Cheffers' Book Club

In summary, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. Yesterday, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. In summary, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. Yesterday, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that
I'm currently reading When Bobbie Sang the Blues by Peggy Darty. It's a Christian fiction mystery. I have the next book in the series waiting for me when I finish this one.

etteluap70PC said:
On my list... all by Gregory McGuire:
Son of a Witch
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
a Lion among men
I have Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister from when I belonged to a book club (like Book of the Month, not a reading group). I vastly preferred Stepsister to Wicked, which just rubbed me the wrong way. I think because Stepsister was a look at a classic story from another perspective (and there's a twist at the end), whereas Wicked felt more like a vehicle for McGuire's political and feminist views than an entertaining read.
Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Good Omens has me cracking up....thanks for the tips, will definitely look into the series once these 3 are wrapped up....
There are currently around 30 books in the Discworld series. The last one came out last year and I don't know if there will be any more forthcoming. Pratchett was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers about 2 years ago. Since then, he's been focusing on his own treatment (which includes some experimental therapies like electric stimulation of the brain), Alzheimers awareness, and TV versions of some of the books. Hogfather is out on DVD already, and The Color of Magic just made it to the US on Ion TV a couple of months ago. (The Discworld isn't a continuous series about one set of characters. They're mostly independent, although there are a few sets of recurring characters, and a few clusters of books that make more sense when read in order.) In approximate order (some were published out of order when they were finally made available in the US), the books of the Discworld series are:
The Color of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Guards! Guards!
Eric
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men At Arms
Soul Music
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Feet of Clay
Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
Carpe Jugulum
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth
Thief of Time
Night Watch
Monstrous Regiment
Going Postal
Thud!
Making MoneyThere are a few young-adult books in the series, too.
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
The Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
WintersmithAnd a children's picture book:
Where's My Cow?

Last edited:
I love the idea of a CS book club. It would probably be difficult to do, though. We have such different tastes.

Sorry, Charlie. Star-Kist doesn't want tuna with good taste, Star-Kist wants tuna that tastes good.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Tunacharlie.png

chefann said:
I have Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister from when I belonged to a book club (like Book of the Month, not a reading group). I vastly preferred Stepsister to Wicked, which just rubbed me the wrong way. I think because Stepsister was a look at a classic story from another perspective (and there's a twist at the end), whereas Wicked felt more like a vehicle for McGuire's political and feminist views than an entertaining read.

I think Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the best of all of his works. I didn't care for Mirror, Mirror, although the concept was good, I was disappointed in the delivery of the story. (For those of you who are unaware of Gregory McGuire, Stepsister and Mirror, Mirror are re-tellings of classic fairy tales, but told from a perspective of "forget the magic, this is how it might have really happened.")

Although I enjoyed Wicked: The Life and Times of the Witches of Oz there's a few things about it I don't like. I prefer the Broadway version of the story, which is quite different from the novel. I'm not in total disagreement with you about the book being a vehicle for his views (after all, that's what every novel is) although I found his outlook on prisons to be far more heavy-handed than any of his other viewpoints. I also have a tough time with him converting Baum's Wizard into a bad guy.

Still, overall, it offers and interesting story and a different way of looking at L. Frank Baum's fantasy. It's an interesting perspective shift to think about how we might see someone like Dorothy dropping in out of the sky in our world. McGuire shows us how "Dorothy, The Interloper" might have been viewed by the residents of Oz.

Last fall I was suppose to go see Wicked on stage with my co-workers. Something came up and I never got to go. I was really bummed about it. I think I'm going to head over to the book store today and see about getting the book!

FYI... Most people that love the play "wicked" are not as impressed with the book. I have heard (as KG said) it is MUCH different!

I just finished reading "Dewey" the story of the Libary Cat. ANd my daughter and I are reading the Twilight series.

I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

The last book I read was The Last Lecture by the late (and great) Professor Randy Pausch. It is awesome.

I have an extensive Stephen King collection, I have been collecting his works since I was about 14. I have rare first editions by him, signed books, foreign books, etc. I'd love to know the value of my collection and I shudder one day at the thought of my books being sold at a garage sale once I"m gone for a quarter.

I also love Dean Koontz, John Saul, etc. And Sidney Sheldon.

I wish I had more time to read. I used to read alot before I married. :(

The Kat Lady can usually be found with her nose in a book. We hardly have room for furniture in our home for all the bookcases. When she was offered the job at the library, she asked me if that was okay. I replied, "Sure. We can't afford to have you get a job at Barnes & Noble."

The last book I read was Angels & Demons, it was very good! Currently DH and I are reading outloud to each other How To Have A New Child by Friday (or something). I'm very big on self-help books, especially about parenting. (Mostly because I have NO IDEA what I am doing!!!) LOL

Crystal, Kevin Lehman is amazing. I love his books. KG, you and someone else (I believe it was Ann, but I could be mistaken) had an ongoing conversation about the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. It got me curious, so I went to the library and checked out the first one. I quickly got hooked. I read through the series in no time, and now they know to let me know when they get the latest one in. Thanks for adding a new obsession to my life. The books are great, except they make me crave donuts. LOL!My taste in books is fairly eclectic, and I'm usually reading at least 2 books at a time. One will be a self-help book of some kind. The other will be for pleasure--usually fiction or biography. I generally set time aside each day to read the self-help, which is often (though not always) geared toward my business in some way. Books for pleasure I tend to read whenever I have a few minutes. Add in a devotional, the odd book of sayings and/or quotes, and research materials, and you can easily find me with 5 or 6 books in progress.

Last edited:
Rea I agree. I have been reading Kevin Lehman regarding parenting for a while now and he is AWESOME! This one has my DH sayig, "Oh yea, I like THIS guy!" LOL

I LOVE the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. They are light and funny and hard to put down.

I have recently read the entire Twilight Series (in 4 days and I have a full time job, I would sit in my car at lunch and then read from the time I got home until I went to bed to finish a book).

I am also a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks, Mitch Albom (if you have never read The 5 people you meet in heaven, you need to) I have read everything they both have written. Harlan Coben is another favorite (although I like his stand-alone books, I haven't started the series he has).

I have read and loved both The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and The Shack by William Young.

Wicked was very interesting, very dark. I almost didn't finish reading it. But I did read it. I am a HUGE Wizard of Oz fan and have been since I was little and Wicked left me with a different view of the Wicked Witch of the West. But I did like it. After reading through this thread, I will be reading the other books as well by Gregory McGuire.

KG-Thanks so much for bringing this thread back. I have been in a bit of a reading slump. I am a very fast reader and I haven't really known what I wanted to read this summer. This has given me some GREAT ideas on books to read!! Thanks!!

I am thinking I have such a long list of books to read now that I will be heading to the library as I don't think I can afford to buy them all!!!

pampered.chris said:
I LOVE the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. They are light and funny and hard to put down.

I have recently read the entire Twilight Series (in 4 days and I have a full time job, I would sit in my car at lunch and then read from the time I got home until I went to bed to finish a book).

I am also a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks, Mitch Albom (if you have never read The 5 people you meet in heaven, you need to) I have read everything they both have written. Harlan Coben is another favorite (although I like his stand-alone books, I haven't started the series he has).

I have read and loved both The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and The Shack by William Young.

Wicked was very interesting, very dark. I almost didn't finish reading it. But I did read it. I am a HUGE Wizard of Oz fan and have been since I was little and Wicked left me with a different view of the Wicked Witch of the West. But I did like it. After reading through this thread, I will be reading the other books as well by Gregory McGuire.

KG-Thanks so much for bringing this thread back. I have been in a bit of a reading slump. I am a very fast reader and I haven't really known what I wanted to read this summer. This has given me some GREAT ideas on books to read!! Thanks!!

I am thinking I have such a long list of books to read now that I will be heading to the library as I don't think I can afford to buy them all!!!

YW. It's hard to believe the thread languished for two whole years before it got bumped.

Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven was an interesting read, so when I spent several weeks in Detroit, I thought I might enjoy him on his radio show. I didn't. He's awful. But that doesn't make him a bad writer.

Just the opposite, I find Garrison Keillor an entertaining radio personality but when it comes to reading his books, I just can't. His stuff is awful. He writes like he talks. On A Prairie Home Companion, I can tolerate endless, single, continuous, run-on sentence paragraphs because of his voice inflections and he pauses now and again as he reads. But reading an entire book that consists of one-sentence paragraphs is unbearable.

raebates said:
The [Stephanie Plum] books are great, except they make me crave donuts. LOL!

I can relate to the donuts and I steer clear of anyone who resembles Lulu, but I keep looking for a "Cluck-In-A-Bucket" franchise.

I saw an all black Hummer the other day with tinted windows. I looked, but the license plate wasn't a New Jersey tag that spelled "RNGEMAN."

We had a fire here that destroyed a funeral home. I couldn't help but wonder if Gramdma Mazur started the blaze somehow or if Stephanie blew up a car in the back of the building.

It really does completely take over your brain--the sign of really good writing.

I just finished The Shack and am going to dive into my MIL's "smut" books... she is going to start me out mild ;)

KG I love Stephanie Plum as well. A friend got me hooked and I would get up at 6 am to read before work. I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON so that was huge for me. I want her to write 6 books a year since I usually finish them in a day. My friend and I cast the Stephanie Plum movie. tell me what you think
Stephanie - Sandra Bullock LULU Queen Latifah Gramma Mazur - the old lady from Wedding Singer the one with the meatballs Morrelli Benjamin Bratt (??) Rangeman The Rock Dewayne Johnson Stephanie's mom and dad ???? Tank Vin Diesel ??

I've read a couple of Stephanie Plum. I LOVE the Hannah Swenson mysteries by Joanne Fluke. Have read all but one of them. I am ready A Woman Betrayed by Barbara Delinsky and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls right now - almost half through the first and just started the second, my sister in law is here visiting and she finished it and handed it to me so I started it. I'm assuming the "smut" books are harliquin romance types. I prefer the historical romances and read those occassionally. I have managed to start reading more in the last two or three months - it's been hard with a very active two year old and my husband on recruiting duty.

I would love a CS book club. I think we could maybe break it down into groups or so. That way there could be several different choices for us to choose from. Club or not, this is fun!

Aunticooks said:
KG I love Stephanie Plum as well. A friend got me hooked and I would get up at 6 am to read before work. I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON so that was huge for me. I want her to write 6 books a year since I usually finish them in a day. My friend and I cast the Stephanie Plum movie. tell me what you think
Stephanie - Sandra Bullock LULU Queen Latifah Gramma Mazur - the old lady from Wedding Singer the one with the meatballs Morrelli Benjamin Bratt (??) Rangeman The Rock Dewayne Johnson Stephanie's mom and dad ???? Tank Vin Diesel ??

I dig the line-up so far. Evan Janet sees Sandra Bullock as Stephanie (based on her performance in Miss Congeniality) But I think Rangeman needs to be Vin Disel and Tank as The Rock. Vin far outweighs the Rock in mystery ability and acting ability, plus he is way drool-worthy. The Rock is easy on the eyes and all, but he needs a quiet role.
Benjamin Bratt would be a GREAT Morrelli. Stephanie's mom ooohhh...I can picture who I have in my head and I can't vision her actress counter-part...and Stephanie's dad...hmmmmm.....

Can't wait for June 23rd!! Finger-Licking Fifteen will be released!!

Here is where to write about getting the movies going...(I took this from Janet's webpage in the Q&A)
"Janet and Alex and Fellow Fans: Just FYI, I did a little searching on the web. Tri Star Pictures is owned by Sony Pictures. The President of Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group is Jeff Blake and his address is: c/o TriStar Pictures, 10202 Washington Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232. Their phone number is (310) 244-7700. This can be verified at Sony Pictures' website: Sony Pictures. (I got the address and phone number from Yellow Pages, White Pages, Maps, and more - Switchboard.com.) "

Traci, I think you've got a few hits and several misses. You've got Stephanie, Lulu, and Grandma Mazur pegged. But, Morelli is VERY Italian, and Benjamin Bratt isn't. I picture a completely different body type and personality type for Rangeman. I can't tell you who I'd pick for them, though.

How about Mary Steenburgen for mom? She does that quietly freaking out thing very well. I can picture John Travolta for dad. He can do the slow smolder well.

chefsteph07 said:
I also love Dean Koontz, John Saul, etc. And Sidney Sheldon.

I wish I had more time to read. I used to read alot before I married. :(

Steph, you like some of my favorite authors. I do, however, fill in with some "softer" novels after one by Koontz, Saul or King. Sometimes the "softer" (I used to say "fluff") are Fern Michaels, Nora Roberts, etc.

If you haven't tried James Patterson, I think you'd like him, and he has plenty of books out there and they really hold my interest, I can't read them fast enough.

David Baldacci, Nelson DeMille and Janet Evanovich are also some of my faves. I'm an avid yard saler and love stocking my shelves with books for $.25 or less!! I volunteered at my local library as the Thurs. night librarian for 10 years, so all of my books are alpha by author then title -- LOL.

gailz2 said:
If you haven't tried James Patterson, I think you'd like him, and he has plenty of books out there and they really hold my interest, I can't read them fast enough.

Mmmmmmm I love Patterson! He is definitely on my beach books list!

Patricia Cornwell is another favorite of mine! I think she has a fabulous series.

When I was in MOMS club we had a book club. The 2 books I read were "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Pope Joan" both were Excellent!!!

The hannah swenson books are totally awesome too!!! I got hooked on those when a bunch were on sale at sam's club. Again another read in 1 sitting book for me. My other favorite author is Debbie Macomber. Her Cedar Cove series just don't come out fast enough and the Three Angels as well as the Blossom Street series. I'm originally from Seattle area and these take me "home" again.
pcsharon1 said:
I've read a couple of Stephanie Plum. I LOVE the Hannah Swenson mysteries by Joanne Fluke. Have read all but one of them. I am ready A Woman Betrayed by Barbara Delinsky and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls right now - almost half through the first and just started the second, my sister in law is here visiting and she finished it and handed it to me so I started it. I'm assuming the "smut" books are harliquin romance types. I prefer the historical romances and read those occassionally. I have managed to start reading more in the last two or three months - it's been hard with a very active two year old and my husband on recruiting duty.

I would love a CS book club. I think we could maybe break it down into groups or so. That way there could be several different choices for us to choose from. Club or not, this is fun!

etteluap70PC said:
When I was in MOMS club we had a book club. The 2 books I read were "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Pope Joan" both were Excellent!!!

This cracked me up! I'm the coordinator for my MOPS group this coming year and I loved that you guys had a book club. I laughed because you only read 2 books, man I hear that! Small people and finishing a book in a timely fashion don't always mesh. LOL

I'm currently reading the Elm Creek Quilters series -- it is a great read if you like to quilt -- and even if you don't

Aunticooks said:
The hannah swenson books are totally awesome too!!! I got hooked on those when a bunch were on sale at sam's club. Again another read in 1 sitting book for me. My other favorite author is Debbie Macomber. Her Cedar Cove series just don't come out fast enough and the Three Angels as well as the Blossom Street series. I'm originally from Seattle area and these take me "home" again.

If you like the Hannah Swensen Series (I have the whole series...LOVE them!) than you will also LOVE the series by Diane Mott Davidson...about a Caterer named Goldy Schulz who solves murders. Like the Hannah Swensen books, they have lots of great recipes and "foodie" talk...and are so much fun to read!

http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/25347/Diane_Mott_Davidson/index.aspx

I went to the book store, I ended up buying The Diary of Anne Frank. I haven't read it in a while and thought I would read it again.

raebates said:
I picture a completely different body type and personality type for Rangeman. I can't tell you who I'd pick for them, though.

I agree completely. These guys (ex-Delta and such) tend to be very different from the Rock or Vin Disel types. (I won't say how I know ;)) I've been brainstorming on who to suggest and I can't come up with anyone either. :(

I can picture him in my head, but I can't think of an actor who matches him. I was at the library behind a woman who was checking out one of the books. I said, "I love those books, but they make me crave donuts."She turned, looked at me, and said, "They make me crave Ranger."I said, "I can understand that, but I'm a married woman. I limit my cravings to donuts."She said, "Me, too. They still make me crave Ranger."

At least they don't make you want to blow up cars. In my case, they kind of give me a craving for a '53 Buick.

I know a woman who reminds me of Grandma Mazur. She's not an actress, but she is a character.

I recently read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". A crazy title, but a must read! I LOVED it!

gailz2 said:
I'm currently reading the Elm Creek Quilters series -- it is a great read if you like to quilt -- and even if you don't

I love this series - haven't read the last two out yet - need to get back into it.

ChefBeckyD said:
If you like the Hannah Swensen Series (I have the whole series...LOVE them!) than you will also LOVE the series by Diane Mott Davidson...about a Caterer named Goldy Schulz who solves murders. Like the Hannah Swensen books, they have lots of great recipes and "foodie" talk...and are so much fun to read!

http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/25347/Diane_Mott_Davidson/index.aspx

Oh, I've read a couple of these too and they are great.

raebates said:
I know a woman who reminds me of Grandma Mazur. She's not an actress, but she is a character.

Grandma Mazur is the type of grandma I picture myself being. LOL.

You should begin warning your children now.

I've already got the grandchildren -- just waiting for the transformation.

Great googly moogly! Watch out NY!

Crystal Patton said:
This cracked me up! I'm the coordinator for my MOPS group this coming year and I loved that you guys had a book club. I laughed because you only read 2 books, man I hear that! Small people and finishing a book in a timely fashion don't always mesh. LOL

Actually we could choose each month if we wanted to do it. The other books they chose did not interest me or I could not get into them.

Glad to give you a chuckle!

Oh also read Davinci code with the club, LOVEd it!

gailz2 said:
Grandma Mazur is the type of grandma I picture myself being. LOL.

raebates said:
You should begin warning your children now.

gailz2 said:
I've already got the grandchildren -- just waiting for the transformation.

Just make sure no one is packing heat at Thanksgiving.

There goes the turkey!

I think every single scene with Grandma had me laughing out loud. It really annoyed The Furry Guy.

I guess I'll have to start enjoying going to funerals for the wonderful cookies, too!

Well, okay, just don't go blowing anything up or burning down the funeral home.

Twilight...over and over and over! I am hooked! I love my sparkly vampires!

I just finished the 15th in the Stephanie Plum series. I can tell it's the 15th book in the series because it's called Finger Lickin' Fifteen.It has everything you expect in a Stephanie Plum novel - everything - and a little extra for those of you who missed some of the standard fare in the last couple of Plum novels.Be prepared to laugh out loud - if you read in bed while your bedmate is sleeping, well, just be warned.
51%2Btn4BDKlL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Back