• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover Your Next Favorite Read with the Cheffers' Book Club

In summary, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. Yesterday, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. In summary, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read. Yesterday, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Yesterday, Theresa remarked that she was surprised that I read Janet Evanovich. That has been rolling around in the back of my little mind ever since, and it got me to wondering what Cheffers read.

I'm a writer, so I tend to read a rather wide variety of genre which includes biography (Edsel: The Story of Henry Ford's Forgotten Son, FDR's Secret War, Walter P. Chrysler and Bogart) adolescent themes, history (and historical biography) and novels.

Yes, I read Doris' book and there are already about 13 threads about it up here in the various forums so that one has been pretty well discussed to death.

My most recent (besides the biographies listed above) book list:
The History of the Pennsylvania Railroad
The War in the Pacific
All by Gregory McGuire:
Wicked: The Life And Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Son of a Witch
Mirror, Mirror
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

The His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pulman:
The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

A movie version of The Golden Compass, starring Nicole Kidman, is in post production right now.

And, of course, the entire series of Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. I've also read some of her other novels, including the rather silly but still sort of fun Plum Christmas book a few years ago, and the republication of Full House, one of Janet's first efforts. (I read that book cover to cover on a flight from Minneapolis to San Francisco, finishing the last page as the wheels touched the runway at SFO.) You can see the roots of Stephanie and Morelli's characters in Full House.

How about you, Cheffers? What are you reading?

Maybe we could form a Cheffers' Book Club, all read the same book and discuss it up here?

A book club sounds like fun!I've been reading Bel Canto, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid...I've been keeping track of every book read this year. They're all on my blog (http://jennifer.vox.com). I have a few more to enter though. I've been plowing through the fluff paperbacks lately.

I've read that "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" a little while ago!

I go through phases. Right now I'm reading a bunch of parent coming of age stories. I'm bad at remembering the title and author (I usually am reading at least 2 books at once and finish within a week).

Right now I am reading Breaking Her Fall by Stephen Goodwin.

I love Jodi Piccoult. I think I've read all of her books. I have read a ton of Dean Koontz. I started on him after I read most of Stepen King's works (he became a little too predictable).

I recently finished Their Eyes Were Watching God right now I cannot remember the author's name. The book was MARVELOUS! I saw the film version on tv and it was nicely done.

Man...I have boxes and boxes of books in my garage. I hoarde my books. I like to go back through and read them over and over again. My husband keeps telling me that I just need a library card. I can't get him to understand why I like to keep them.

MUST READ!! She's Come Undone and I Know this Much is True by Wally Lamb & The Lovely Bones by I can't remember. LB is such a sad chilling tale. It really spoke to me. I guess because I was pregnant with our 1st daughter when I read it! It has really stuck with me.

She's Come Undone and I Know this Much is True by Wally Lamb are terrific books. I read them several years ago when I was recovering. I greatly admire Lamb's technique of writing (convincingly) from a feminine point of view..

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is a wonderful story but even more interesting for it's point of view.

My brother recently apologized for reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Apparently, it's considered a "chick book" but I enjoyed it.

Many years ago, when my 20-something college-kid nephew was about 14, I visited for Thanksgiving. He gave up his room so I had someplace to sleep. There had been a great deal of heartburn over Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Philospher's Stone everywhere but the US) but other than what I'd heard, I had no personal experience. At that point, there were two novels in the HP series.Harry Potter was laying on his nightstand, so I picked it up and started to read it. About Dark:30 and a third of the way into it, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open. He let me take the book home to finish it, which I did and mailed it back to him.I immediately went out and bought the two paperback novels and when Prisoner of Azkaban came out, I bought the boxed set of three hardbound novels. Like everyone else who is addicted to J.K. Rollins' wonderful storytelling and delightful characters, I eagerly awaited the arrival of the fourth, then the fifth and the sixth books. (No, I did not go to the bookstore at midnight.)So, yes, I'm hooked on Harry Potter, too, and I've read each of those books at least three times each. Some even more.

Ooooh - I LOVE the idea of a Cheffer book club!!!!

I'm part of a book club locally and for that have been reading To Kill a Mockingbird (I never read it in school if you can believe that) and The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I'm pretty sure we read The Time Traveler's Wife sometime soon, but next month's book is Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen).

I just started Water for Elephants.To Kill A Mockingbird should be required reading for everyone.Of course, I think the same thing about Atlas Shrugged and Animal Farm.

I've read The Secret Life of Bees and her newest one. Which I forgot the title for. Oh Well....Keep em coming! I love this. Maybe we can start a book swap. You read one and write a critique of it and swap it for one that one of us read and critiqued. Oooooo!! I'm lovin' it!

When The Kat Lady came home and asked me if it was okay for her to take a part time job at our local library, I told her I can't afford for her to get a part time job at http://www.schwartzbooks.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=0 or Barnes & Noble!Between the two of us, our bookshelves are more overstuffed than my family at Thanksgiving. Books are stacked up and piled up in front of other books on the shelves.

I love Philip Pullman's trilogy!I HIGHLY recommend the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett. Start with The Color of Magic and let me know what you think. Terry Pratchett really pumps out these books (6 or so a year) but they are constructed so fine that you can tell which character is talking before you get to "so and so said"....if that makes sense. He also has a teen series as well as a pre-teen trilogy - The Bromeliad Trilogy - Truckers, Diggers and Wings.

You just reminded me...I also read the entire Left Behind series.

I find some commonality between His Dark Materials and Gregory McGuire's Oz stories. Mostly in the talking Animals, but the entire adventure in a strange land theme is most interesting. The manifestation of, what is it, ego? in the Pullman series is also most interesting to me.After seeing The Chronicles of Narnia recently, I'm tempted to read that series, too.

The Chronicles of Narnia are good to read. However, I feel like there is too much "take it for what it is and don't question it because a higher power (God) gave it to you" mentality. However, if you read it for fun, it can be good.

cmdtrgd said:
I love Philip Pullman's trilogy!

I HIGHLY recommend the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett. Start with The Color of Magic and let me know what you think. Terry Pratchett really pumps out these books (6 or so a year) but they are constructed so fine that you can tell which character is talking before you get to "so and so said"....if that makes sense. He also has a teen series as well as a pre-teen trilogy - The Bromeliad Trilogy - Truckers, Diggers and Wings.

I have all of the Discworld novels on my shelf. Love them! He doesn't actually crank out 6 a year - more like 2 or 3 (if you include the young adult entries in the series). When I recommend them to people, I don't have them start with Color of Magic, because I think it took Pratchett a couple of books to really hit his stride. The first one I read was Pyramids, which is early enough in the series to not feel like one missed lots, but was still after the "formula" was perfected.

Pratchett got together with an American comic book author/novelist named Neil Gaiman and wrote a book called Good Omens. It's from 15 years ago, but I just saw a new hardcover in the bookstore. My original one is worn out. It's that good.

KG- what part is Kidman playing in Golden Compass? She's way too old to be the main character. (It's been about 3 years since I read that series, so I don't remember names.)

If anyone is looking for other good upper-elementary books the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer is fantastic. Artemis is a 10-year old genius, who takes on the fairy world. And he's a Mac user. :) There are 5 books in that series now. (I ordered them from Amazon when there were just 2 books, and the first one came autographed!)

I LOVE to read, but since having a baby(who is now 2 1/2), my reading has slowed down considerably - but I know that eventually, more of my time will be my own again....
Right now, I am reading The Stamp of Glory by Tim Stafford - a historical novel about the Abolitionist Movement - really enjoying it. I've read and re-read the Chronicles of Narnia series - love them! For fun, because my first passion is cooking, I love the Culinary novels of Diane Mott Davidson (about a Caterer who solves mysteries) and Joanne Fluke (a baker who solves mysteries). I also love Francine Rivers - one of her books, The Last Sin Eater is in theaters now.
One of my all time favorite novelists is Jan Karon - The Mitford Series - I like happy endings, and her books just always make me smile.
When I have more time - I want to read Wicked, and McGuires other books too - I've heard such great reviews on all of them.

I also think that To Kill A Mockingbird should be required reading. I read it first as an adult - and couldn't believe that it wasn't required when I was in school! (I also love the movie w/ Gregory Peck:D )

I also listen to books when my eyes hurt. Try out audible.com for good priced audio books. I have found that a subscription is the best deal. For a set amount per month, I can download a set number of books - no matter what their actual price is.

ChefBeckyD said:
I also think that To Kill A Mockingbird should be required reading. I read it first as an adult - and couldn't believe that it wasn't required when I was in school! (I also love the movie w/ Gregory Peck:D )
Arguably his finest role. Not to get on to movies here, but I saw Lillies of the Field with Sidney Portier last night. He won the Oscar for it in 1963 and even with all his other fine work, that might have been his very best.

Ann, Kidman is playing Marisa Coulter. The part of Lyra is being played by Dakota Blue Richards. I know nothing about her except that 1,000 girls showed up for auditions and she's the one.

I'm a big reader, myself. I've even had the opportunity to evaluate books for our local Christian library on occasion. My tastes vary widely--Little House on the Prarie to the compete works of Stephen King.I think a book club sounds great.

We might have to petition Greg for our own forum.

I would LOVE to have a book club. I read A LOT! Too many great stories to post here... BUT right now I am reading

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Kim Edwards

Boy, I'm a reader and I am all over the map on this one.

Just finished up an older book that I didnt get my hands on when it came out called Sam's letters to Jennifer by James Patterson. I just adore his books (all but ther Alex Cross novels, cant sink my teeth into those). I am a HUGE fan of mystery suspense so I like Jonathan Kellerman, Michael Marshall (The Upright Man, The Straw Man), Keith Ablow (his Frank Clevenger books) and Patricia Cornwell (anythig kay Scarpetta).

I LOVE Anne Rice, have since I was a teenager.

I did enjoy all the books by Dan Brown (not the movie, the books).

Steve Berry's The Templar Legacy was absolutly fascinating. Love these true to life fiction books, like The Last Templar, by Raymond Khoury. I read The Historian by Elizabet Kostova, and that went on a bit long, but a good story in itself abiut good ol' Dracula.

LOVE Sci-Fi Horror, Steven King (loved Cell), Dean Koontz, Peter Straub. I like reading those at night with a good glass of chablis.

I fell upon a Nicholas Sparks (who come to find out, I attended High School with) while staying at a friends house. Couldnt sleep and she had this book called Nights in Rodanthe on her dresser. Read it, that night. Now I ADORE his writing, but thats about as far into the Romance Genre I get.

I too read the Left Behind series. This was at a turning point in my life (my decision on whether I was willing to go back to Christianity again). Great series...suggest you have a wide eye, open mind and strong faith with those.

Really, I'll read just about anything!

Yeah, the Left Behind series is definitely intense.

I found the first five of the Left Behind series to be intense thrillers and couldn't wait to get to the next one. The next few kinda plodded along and weren't as entertaining, maybe because there were fewer characters left to deal with. The last few seemed like they were, well, strained. It looked to me like the authors were trying to crank 'em out in a hurry. I can only hope it was because their readers demanded them and not because they were in a hurry to make some more loot. That last one was, well, I don't want to spoil anything.I am glad I read them, though, even if it was someone else's interpretation of Revalations. Lord knows, I sure can't make head nor tail of it. I see a lot of Carpathian characters and events in our current everyday life - does anyone else?

I figure we're closer now than we were before. I don't necessarily agree with every interpretation they made, but it is definitely food for thought. I agree with you that the first ones were better than the last couple, but I often find that with a series. I think sometimes it's difficult to keep up the intensity you have in the beginning.

Oh I too love the idea of a book club:) :)

The last two books I have read are:

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss~ a very beautiful read

Night by Elie Wiesel~ Oprah had it for her book club. Excellent!!

I have just started Isolde Queen of the Western Isle by Rosalind Miles.

I love Ann Rule she is a great writer.

raebates said:
I figure we're closer now than we were before.
There is one character in the US who reminds me a little too much of Carpathia and at least two of them in the Middle East. It's a little sobering to think about it that way.

Okay, I would love to chime in on this thread but I really don't have time to read. I've gotten a few pages into Doris's book and that was 2 years ago!:eek:

It's nice to see what everyone is reading :) I would love to be part of a book discussion thread...

Currently (and embarassingly) I have been reading the "In Death" Murder mysteries by JD Robb (the pen name for Nora Roberts) They're fast and edgy, and as I am hugely pregnant, they are not asking much from me.

KG- I have been a Potter addict from Day 1. There's something there for everyone!

I also love Jody Picoult - just read "My Sister's Keeper" and cried for a day. Devastating.

Am a huge Alice Hoffman fan. Jennifer Weiner (Good in Bed was my favorite) David Sedaris, and anything Stephen King writes that is not directly horror - The Gunslinger books, the Stand, Faithful (I am a huge Red Sox fan!)

Best books I have read recently are older ones that I have come across - Pablo Coelho's The Alchemist and Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian (1000x better than Dan Brown, and I liked his books, too!)

I am jotting down lots of your suggestions for my next trip to the library - I will be in the hospital for 5 days when this new baby comes, with way less visitors than last time- so I will need some good books to keep me and the critter company!

SillyChef said:
I would LOVE to have a book club. I read A LOT! Too many great stories to post here... BUT right now I am reading

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Kim Edwards

I finished this one in August 06!! Great story!

I've also read the Left Behind series. It started to bother me that it took 1/2 the book before the story went anywhere. The last 2 chapters were really intense and intriguing.

When Harry Potter came out I read them to screen them for my kiddos in the future (at the time they were 3 & 4 years old). I stopped reading at book 4. I thought they got a little too witchy. I thought it was too occult. Don't get me wrong...I am a big fan of horror, mystery and suspense; however, I thought it was too much for a kids book. I have to say that I began reading King in the 7th grade, so maybe that's when I'll let my kids read the books.

Jennifer Weiner - LOVE her! She writes for the big girls! HOORAY!

One of the things I like about the Harry Potter series is that the books age with the characters...and the "kids" who are reading them. As long as they don't read them back to back, they should be able to handle the later books.

I agree with you Darby - love Nicolas Sparks books - have read them all including one non-fiction about him traveling 3 weeks with his brother. I've read many books over the years including all of Danielle Steel (although they are so predictable I could write my own Danielle Steel book at this time) - always liked John Grisham books, Sidney Sheldon (back in his heydey- he just recently died), Mary Higgins Clark, I tend to find an author and if I like them - devour everything they write. Also love John Irving books - they are a bit out there but so full of interesting characters. There's many more that aren't coming immediately to mind but I'm sure they will. Also read a lot of Stephen King growing up as well - pretty creepy.

Gina M said:
Sidney Sheldon (back in his heydey- he just recently died),

I didn't know he passed away! I used to really enjoy his books during college. Although I enjoy what I call "thinking books", I'm generally a pleasure reader - that is, I don't like to think:eek: . Reading for me is escapism - take me somewhere that I haven't been or probably won't go (or could never exist). I've read all of Stephen King's and John Grisham's books and enjoy a host of other fiction authors; right now I'm reading Nora Roberts. I'm in the middle of a trilogy (reading Dancing with the Gods). I usually read 2 books a week depending on what else is going on in life, but again, they're escapism books.

I'm re-reading a lot of fun kids' books with my 6 year old daughter. She loves Beezus and Ramona. Can we have a book discussion about that?:D

Although I have never really sat down and read the harry potter series, the story of how J.K.Rowling came up with this is fascinating. She was a single mom who literally just lost her job and was sitting at the local coffe shop and took out her laptop and created the first story in an afternoon. These kinds of stories inspire me.

dianevill said:
I'm re-reading a lot of fun kids' books with my 6 year old daughter. She loves Beezus and Ramona. Can we have a book discussion about that?:D

My 10 yr old just read The Bridge to Teribithia because she wanted to read it before seeing the film (which we do tomorrow). I am reading Charlottes Web to my 2 1/2 yr old, and he loves it. We will see the movie once we finish the book. I just finished the Velveteen Rabbit with my daughter. That one always makes me cry (so does "I Love You This Much").

thechefofnorthbend said:
That one always makes me cry (so does "I Love You This Much").

"I Love You Forever" is my tear-jerker. Sometimes my kids ask me to read it because they want to see if it will make me cry:eek: ;).

Oops, got the name wrong...lol. It's called Guess How Much I Love You? And yes, I love you forever also makes me cry...lol :)

thechefofnorthbend said:
Although I have never really sat down and read the harry potter series, the story of how J.K.Rowling came up with this is fascinating. She was a single mom who literally just lost her job and was sitting at the local coffe shop and took out her laptop and created the first story in an afternoon. These kinds of stories inspire me.
The story of how Jackie Mitchard wrote Deep End of the Ocean is similar. She had been a speech writer in Madison for the governor, got married, moved to Milwaukee with her husband and got a job as a reporter and columnist for The Milwaukee Journal. Her husband died of Leukemia at the ripe old age of 36, leaving her a young widow with four small kids. She moved home to Lodi and pursued a career as a freelancer and worked on her novel in between diaper changes and laundry load swaps.She sent the first three chapters to an agent, and one day, her phone rang. It was a rough day, her washer had just died and she was really worried about making ends meet. The phone rang while she was in the middle of a crisis. It was her agent, reporting, "I've sold your novel." Great, Jackie replies. "I got you an advance of five hundred," she reported."In a flash," Jackie Mitchard reports, I had a vision and I replied, "My washer just died and I think I can get a new washer and dryer for five hundred."The agent laughed. "You don't understand. I meant Five Hundred Thousand."The Deep End of the Ocean was on the NYT bestseller list for several weeks and it was made into a movie. The movie stunk but it sure was a good book!(The thought of an advance of five hundred keeps me plugging on my on novel!)

Last edited:
I too would love to do a book club. I read most anything. Have read the Harry Potter series, the JD Robb books, Left Behind, anything W.E.B. Griffith, Patricia Cornwell, Dean Koontz, Janet Evanovitch(sp), Vince Flynn and too many others to think of or list. I just finished today with the new James Patterson book Step on a Crack. It was amazing. Great read.

I'm currently reading the lastest "The Cat Who....." book by Lillian Jackson Braun. I also like Mary Higgins Clark, Carol Higgins Clark, Jill Churchill. A really fun series is by Tamar Myers who writes the Pennsylvania Dutch series & The Den of antiquity series. The Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman is really good too. There hasn't been a new one of them for quite some time...not sure if the author is still writing or not.

Stampaholic1961 said:
I'm currently reading the lastest "The Cat Who....." book by Lillian Jackson Braun. I also like Mary Higgins Clark, Carol Higgins Clark, Jill Churchill. A really fun series is by Tamar Myers who writes the Pennsylvania Dutch series & The Den of antiquity series. The Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman is really good too. There hasn't been a new one of them for quite some time...not sure if the author is still writing or not.

I love the "The Cat Who...." series! They are fun books....someone else said that they read for escapism......I USED to read for more than that, but right now, about the only time I get to read is just before I fall asllep at night - so if it is too deep or intense, I just can't focus on it!

I managed a Bookstore for 8 years....and what I miss most is all of the free books I would receive from publishers (Yep - did you know that is one of the perks???). When there was a new author they were wanting to promote, I would often get a copy (in advance!) so that I could "Talk it up".

The "LEFT BEHIND" series - KG, I agree - they started out great, but just got to be too predictable, too boring.....and I'm a bit cynical as to why. (and I think there is someone currently running for President who reminds me of Carpathian - but that's all I'm saying about that!
)However, I feel that way about most series books - it's like movie sequels - they just have a hard time living up to the first. Not all series though - because some of them, you can actually see the progression of maturity in the author as the books progress too.

I am all over the board too when it comes to all-time favorites, and must reads...including "Anne of Green Gables" series, "Little House" series(first series I ever read - got the set for Christmas in 2nd grade!), I LOVE historical Biographies of just about anyone....Tom Brokaw's "Greatest Generation" books....okay - I just love books, and there are too many for me to mention! When I got married, my DH couldn't understand why I needed so many bookshelves....to me, a room is not homey unless it has books in it!

One of my proudest, and most embarrassing moments at the same time, happened in 1971. My dear grandmother passed away, and her funeral was in Antigo, Wisconsin. (Afterwards, she was interred with my grandfather and great grandparents in Antigo.) Her funeral was handled at the Bradley Funeral Home by the proprieter, Mr. John Bradley. I was a smart-ass college kid at the time, and I was introduduced to Mr. Bradley, a real gentleman. One of my cousins remarked that I just shook hands with a statue, some goofy things were said about it, and Mr. Bradley just smiled politely and disappeared.Many years later, his son James, wrote a book about his father called Flags of Our Fathers. Clint Eastwood made it into a movie last year. It is a wonderful book and every American should read it. I know I understand a lot more about my own father now after reading it. John Bradley, you now realize, was one of the seven men who raised the American flag over Mount Saribachi on Iwo Jima and the longest survivor of the seven.James Bradley followed up Flags of Our Fathers with a book called Flyboys. A veteran from Omaha called Mr. Bradley, after reading Flags of Our Fathers, and told him that Bradley was the man to tell his story - the untold story of the flyers around Iwo. (One of the surviving veteran pilots of Iwo Jima, interviewed for the book, is President George Herbert Walker Bush.) Both books are stunning chronicles of the brutality of war, the atrocities of World War II and should be required reading for all Americans, as well as anyone who has an interest in war. Yes, especially anti-war types need to read both books. While we're at it, another stunning WWII chronicle is called Duty, and it chronicles Paul Tibbets and his plane, the Enola Gay. If those names mean nothing to you, I suggest you look it up, then read the book.

Flags of our Fathers is an excellent book - I haven't read Flyboys - but now it's on my list.....along with Duty.

One of my favorite biographies (and it's sorta obscure) is Solzhenitsyn by Michael Scammel. He is a fascinating man.....and wrote whole books, poetry, etc.....in his head while imprisoned in Russian Gulags (The Gulag Archipelego).

I love to read too, and will read just about anything. I just finished a fluff paperback called Angels All Over Town by Luanne Rice. Don't recommend it, I think it was her first novel (republished) and you could tell. A few of my favorites so far have been
The Dark Tower Series ~ Stephen King
The Color of Water ~James McBride
The Poisonwood Bible ~ Barbara Kingsolver
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter ~ Carson McCullers
To Kill a Mocking Bird ~ Harper Lee
Green Mile ~ Stephen King (SOOO much better than the movie)
Dreams From My Father ~ Barack Obama

Would Love a Book ClubI would love a book club. I love to read.

I have read all of Danielle Steele, except for the last one or two. My favorite of hers is Palomino. I agree the more she write the more predictable and less substance she has.

I have read most of Nora Roberts. I read the beginning ones of J. D. Robb, but quit part of the way through b/c they became so "out there."

I love murder mysteries that involve forensics. I love Patricia Cornwell and have read all of hers.

I love Iris Johansen too.

I go back and forth between romance and murder mysteries. I will read murder for a while and then read romance when I need to lighten my brain for all of the murder and mayhem!!!

I, too, tend to find an author and if I like them devour everything they have written.

I do not read biographies. I think only biographies I have read are books on the life of Bear Bryant and that come from being a huge Alabama Crimson Tide fan.

I have read the Left Behind Series and loved them. I love them so much b/c I love Revelation. We are currently doing a study in my Sunday School class of Revelation verse by verse. I love to hear when these books cause people to accept Jesus as their one and true Lord and Savior.

I love the Harry Potter books. I was a little later starting to read them but then I did not have to wait as much for them to come out! I would have to think long and hard before letting my child read them though until they are old enough to understand and believe it is just "make believe" and it not effect their Christian foundation. I think each parents just have to judge according to their child's maturity.

If we do start a book club, I think we may need 2. One for murders and mysteries and one for romance to try to include everyone. I would love a club!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The story of how Jackie Mitchard wrote Deep End of the Ocean is similar.

She had been a speech writer in Madison for the governor, got married, moved to Milwaukee with her husband and got a job as a reporter and columnist for The Milwaukee Journal. Her husband died of Leukemia at the ripe old age of 36, leaving her a young widow with four small kids. She moved home to Lodi and pursued a career as a freelancer and worked on her novel in between diaper changes and laundry load swaps.

She sent the first three chapters to an agent, and one day, her phone rang. It was a rough day, her washer had just died and she was really worried about making ends meet. The phone rang while she was in the middle of a crisis. It was her agent, reporting, "I've sold your novel." Great, Jackie replies. "I got you an advance of five hundred," she reported.

"In a flash," Jackie Mitchard reports, I had a vision and I replied, "My washer just died and I think I can get a new washer and dryer for five hundred."

The agent laughed. "You don't understand. I meant Five Hundred Thousand."

The Deep End of the Ocean was on the NYT bestseller list for several weeks and it was made into a movie. The movie stunk but it sure was a good book!

(The thought of an advance of five hundred keeps me plugging on my on novel!)

This is my MOST FAVORITE book!!!! I SOBBED through the entire book and was really touched by it for days after finishing it. I didn't even have children then...I can't imagine what it would be like to read it now!

I love Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

Right now I'm reading the Children of Men.

dianevill said:
"I Love You Forever" is my tear-jerker. Sometimes my kids ask me to read it because they want to see if it will make me cry:eek: ;).

That book made me bawl like a baby the first time I read it! I still get teary-eyed when I read it. I also love Guess how much I love you. I guess I do read children's stories. We are into the whole Dora series and just pruchased Dora loves Boots, Scooby Doo Valentine first reader and Starting School for my 4 year old. He has to be prepared for things!!!;)

rebeccastt said:
This is my MOST FAVORITE book!!!! I SOBBED through the entire book and was really touched by it for days after finishing it. I didn't even have children then...I can't imagine what it would be like to read it now!

Oh my goodness. That was a good book. I cried throught that AND the movie! I'm such a sob story lover!:p

I love to read!!
Dan Brown, Sandra Brown, Dean Koontz, Stephen King...nothing sappy or mushy, YUCK!!

However all I have time to read anymore is Green Eggs and Ham, Snoopy, Spiderman, SpongeBob, The Little Old Lady books. And yes, I am reading these to my son, not to myself!!!

I love to read, and my poor house shows it! Books are piled on every flat surface and the thought of parting with any of them is something akin to an amputation!Right now I'm working on Jan Karon's Mitford series. Somehow I missed these when they came out originally, I found one on my parents' bookcase while clearing out their house, and became hooked!But my tastes are quite varied, so I'm sure that 9 times out of 10 I'll be interested in the book selected by the Cheffers!Ann

<h2>What is the Cheffers' Book Club all about?</h2><p>The Cheffers' Book Club is a community of Pampered Chef employees who enjoy reading and discussing books together. We choose a book to read each month and then share our thoughts and opinions about it.</p><h2>What kind of books do Cheffers typically read?</h2><p>Our members have a wide range of interests, so we read a variety of genres including biography, history, novels, and even young adult literature. Some of our members also enjoy the works of specific authors, such as Janet Evanovich.</p><h2>What are some of the most recent books that Cheffers have read?</h2><p>Some recent reads from our members include "Wicked" by Gregory McGuire, "The War in the Pacific" by Gregory McGuire, and "The His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pulman. We also have discussions about popular books, such as "Doris' book" which has been widely talked about in our forums.</p><h2>Are there any upcoming book adaptations that Cheffers are looking forward to?</h2><p>Yes, there is a movie adaptation of "The Golden Compass" by Phillip Pulman, starring Nicole Kidman, that is currently in post production. Many of our members are excited to see how the book translates to the big screen.</p><h2>Is there a specific book that all Cheffers are currently reading and discussing?</h2><p>Not at the moment, but we love your idea of forming a Cheffers' Book Club and reading the same book together. We will definitely consider it for our next book selection!</p>

What is the Cheffers' Book Club all about?

The Cheffers' Book Club is a community of Pampered Chef employees who enjoy reading and discussing books together. We choose a book to read each month and then share our thoughts and opinions about it.

What kind of books do Cheffers typically read?

Our members have a wide range of interests, so we read a variety of genres including biography, history, novels, and even young adult literature. Some of our members also enjoy the works of specific authors, such as Janet Evanovich.

What are some of the most recent books that Cheffers have read?

Some recent reads from our members include "Wicked" by Gregory McGuire, "The War in the Pacific" by Gregory McGuire, and "The His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pulman. We also have discussions about popular books, such as "Doris' book" which has been widely talked about in our forums.

Are there any upcoming book adaptations that Cheffers are looking forward to?

Yes, there is a movie adaptation of "The Golden Compass" by Phillip Pulman, starring Nicole Kidman, that is currently in post production. Many of our members are excited to see how the book translates to the big screen.

Is there a specific book that all Cheffers are currently reading and discussing?

Not at the moment, but we love your idea of forming a Cheffers' Book Club and reading the same book together. We will definitely consider it for our next book selection!

Back