• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Humor theBarefoot Contessa Hates Cilantro! :)

In summary, Kacey hates cilantro, but loves dill and cilantro together. Ina Garten, Giada De Laurentis, and my brothers all hate cilantro as well.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
A while back I wrote a poem about my relationship with Cilantro:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f7/ode-cilantro-37937/

So imagine my surprise as I'm sitting home today, recuperating from a co-workers prank, just watching The Barefoot Contessa on Food Network when out of her mouth comes: "I personally HATE cilantro, so we're going to use basil".

I cannot tell you how excited I was to hear that Ina Garten HATES cilantro! Giada De Laurentis doesn't like it either. So there is hope! I can still be a chef, and not like cilantro! So far, I've not found anyone who dislikes dill as much as I do- but I'm still searching.

Anyway, I know this is seriously off topic, but I just had to share. I am SO sending those ladies Christmas Cards this year! LOL

I've heard that there is a gene that somehow makes the taste of cilantro taste like soap to people! I don't have it, but my friend Stephen swears that soap is made from cilantro, and vice versa!

Awesome! I hate cilantro, too!

I hate CILANTRO and DILL!!!

I am a true swedish girl and somehow I can't stand dill...My boyfriend comes from a Spanish family and Cilantro is in everything EWW! :) Ode to Ina!

Kacey, I bet I can rival you with my hatred (blech) of dill. I do LOVE cilantro though. (Sorry.)

I :love:adore:love: cilantro and dill!

However, I vehemently detest fennel. It must be in my genes, because both of my brothers are the same!

For those of you who hate cilantro - here is a website/community just for you!

I Hate Cilantro - an anti cilantro community

I don't care for fennel bulbs, but I love fennel seeds! How odd is that!?!

Ah, good to know there are others who detest dill.

Cilantro doesn't taste like soap to me it's just bitter and REALLY strong. I can actually handle like 3 leaves in some rice or something if they are pulverized beyond recognition...but only about 3 leaves. LOL

I love cilantro, perfect addition to any mexican dish

Kitchen Diva said:
A while back I wrote a poem about my relationship with Cilantro:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f7/ode-cilantro-37937/

So imagine my surprise as I'm sitting home today, recuperating from a co-workers prank, just watching The Barefoot Contessa on Food Network when out of her mouth comes: "I personally HATE cilantro, so we're going to use basil".

I cannot tell you how excited I was to hear that Ina Garten HATES cilantro! Giada De Laurentis doesn't like it either. So there is hope! I can still be a chef, and not like cilantro! So far, I've not found anyone who dislikes dill as much as I do- but I'm still searching.

Anyway, I know this is seriously off topic, but I just had to share. I am SO sending those ladies Christmas Cards this year! LOL

TOO FUNNY! I missed your poem the first time around!

I HATE HATE HATE cilantro too! Never thought of using basil in its place.

I LOVE Cilantro!!!! Yummy :)

I love cilantro and dill, but I detest fennel and fennel seeds! they make me gag!

I love fresh Cilantro in Salsa!!! Not a huge fan of Dill and HATE Fennel seeds!!!

I HATE cilantro!! I had the guests make the quick salsa at my show last night with the Easy Chicken Fajitas.... The guests were all laughing at me when I went to explain the batter bowl becuase I was holding it at arms length because I couldn't handle the smell of the cilantro.

Anyone ever made the quick salsa without it? Or substituted something else for it?

Last edited:
My AD hates dill, and doesn't like cilantro much either...although, I have made a few things recently with cilantro that she grudgingly admits taste "okay"!

I'll be sharing your great funnies about cilantro with her. Thanks!!!

I do like cilantro... BUT IT HATES ME!!! I am extremely allergic to it!! It makes my throat swell shut!! seriously.. I have to avoid it at all costs or go to the hospital. So I am always interested in recipes that do not include it!! Thanks for this strand!!!!!!!!!

gingertannery said:
I do like cilantro... BUT IT HATES ME!!! I am extremely allergic to it!! It makes my throat swell shut!! seriously.. I have to avoid it at all costs or go to the hospital. So I am always interested in recipes that do not include it!! Thanks for this strand!!!!!!!!!

Ginger, the same thing happens to me when I eat watermelon. Which is sad as I LOVE watermelon.

This does prove however that Cilantro is evil! :p

What is "theBarefoot Contessa Hates Cilantro!"?

"theBarefoot Contessa Hates Cilantro!" is a popular recipe book by celebrity chef Ina Garten, also known as the Barefoot Contessa. It features recipes that do not include cilantro, as Garten herself is not a fan of the herb.

Why does Ina Garten hate cilantro?

Ina Garten has stated in interviews that she finds cilantro to have a soapy taste, and therefore does not use it in her cooking or recipes. However, she encourages her readers to adapt her recipes to their own tastes and preferences.

Are all the recipes in "theBarefoot Contessa Hates Cilantro!" cilantro-free?

Yes, all the recipes in the book do not include cilantro as an ingredient. Garten has carefully chosen and developed these recipes to appeal to those who do not enjoy the taste of cilantro.

Can I still use cilantro in the recipes if I like it?

Absolutely! The recipes in "theBarefoot Contessa Hates Cilantro!" can be easily adapted to include cilantro if you enjoy the flavor. Garten encourages her readers to make the recipes their own and add ingredients they love.

Does Pampered Chef sell "theBarefoot Contessa Hates Cilantro!"?

No, Pampered Chef does not sell "theBarefoot Contessa Hates Cilantro!" as it is a book written by Ina Garten. However, you can find it at most major bookstores or online retailers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
merego
Back