• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

the20 Worst (Restaurant) Foods in America

In summary, the conversation discusses the 20 worst foods in America, citing their high calorie, fat, and carbohydrate content. The list includes items from popular restaurants such as McDonald's, Jamba Juice, Chili's, and Outback Steakhouse. The conversation also mentions the misleading names of some dishes, and the surprising number of calories in seemingly innocent menu items.
esavvymom
Staff member
I saw this on another blog. I'll try to find the original source to validate, but I've seen similar lists before through Weight Watchers...so I believe it! And you know, restaurants that put calorie/fat/carb info on SOME menu items, but not the others- makes you wonder how much is those "others" are!

Thought this could be good info at a show to encourage eat at home :D
-----

The 20 WORST foods in America:

20. Chicken Selects Premium Breast Strips from McDonald's (5 pieces) with creamy ranch sauce
# 830 calories
# 55 grams (g) fat (4.5 g trans fat)
# 48 g carbohydrates

The only thing "premium" about these strips is the caloric price you pay. Add a large fries and regular soda and this seemingly innocuous chicken meal tops out at 1,710 calories.

19. Jamba Juice Chocolate Moo'd Power Smoothie (30 fl oz)
# 900 calories 10 g fat
# 183 g carbs (166 g sugar)

Jamba Juice calls it a smoothie; we call it a milk shake. In fact, this beverage contains as much sugar as 2 pints of Ben & Jerry's butter pecan ice cream.

18. Pepperidge Farm Roasted Chicken Pot Pie (whole pie)
# 1,020 calories 64 g fat
# 86 g carbs

The label may say this pie serves two, but who ever divided a small pot pie in half? The sad truth is, once you crack the crust, there will be no stopping -- which makes this 300 calories worse than anything else you'll find in the freezer case.

17. Ruby Tuesday Bella Turkey Burger
# 1,145 calories 71 g fat
# 56 g carbs

We chose this burger for more than its calorie payload: Its name implies that it's healthy.

16. Chipotle Mexican Grill Chicken Burrito
# 1,179 calories 47 g fat
# 125 g carbs
# 2,656 milligrams (mg) sodium

Despite a reputation for using healthy, fresh ingredients, Chipotle's menu is limited to king-size burritos, overstuffed tacos, and gigantic salads -- all of which lead to a humongous waistline.

15. Macaroni Grill Double Macaroni 'n' Cheese
# 1,210 calories 62 g fat
# 3,450 mg sodium

It's like feeding your kid 1 1/2 boxes of Kraft mac 'n' cheese.

14. Quiznos Classic Italian (large)
# 1,490 calories 85 g fat
# 4,510 mg sodium 96 g carbs

A large homemade sandwich would more likely provide about 500 calories.

13. On the Border Grande Taco Salad with Taco Beef
# 1,450 calories 102 g fat
# 78 g carbs 2,410 mg sodium

This isn't an anomaly: Five different On the Border salads on the menu contain more than 1,100 calories each.

12. Hardee's Double Six Dollar Burger
# 1,520 calories
# 111 g fat

Hardee's brags that it's home to this enormous sandwich, but the restaurant chain also provides convenient nutrition info on its Web site -- so ignorance is no excuse for eating it.

11. Lonestar 20 oz T-bone
# 1,540 calories
# 124 g fat

Add a baked potato and Lonestar's Signature Lettuce Wedge, and this is a 2,700-calorie blowout.

10. Bob Evans Caramel Banana Pecan Cream Stacked and Stuffed Hotcakes
# 1,540 calories
# 77 g fat (9 g trans fat)
# 198 g carbs (109 g sugar)

Five Egg McMuffins yield the same caloric cost as this stack of sugar-stuffed flapjacks, which is truly a heavy breakfast, weighing in at a hefty pound and a half.

9. Chili's Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream
# 1,600 calories
# 78 g fat
# 215 g carbs

Would you eat a Big Mac for dessert? How about three? That's the calorie equivalent of this decadent dish. Clearly, Chili's customers get their money's worth.

8. P.F. Chang's Pork Lo Mein
# 1,820 calories
# 127 g fat
# 95 g carbs

The fat content in this dish alone provides more than 1,100 calories. And you'd have to eat almost five servings of pasta to match the number of carbohydrates it contains. Now, do you really need five servings of pasta?

7. Chili's Honey Chipotle Crispers with Chipotle Sauce
# 2,040 calories
# 99 g fat
# 240 g carbs

"Crispers" refers to an extra-thick layer of bread crumbs that soaks up oil and adds unnecessary calories and carbs to these glorified chicken strips.

6. On the Border Dos XX Fish Tacos with Rice and Beans
# 2,100 calories
# 130 g fat
# 169 g carbs 4,750 mg sodium

Perhaps the most misleadingly named dish in America: A dozen crunchy tacos from Taco Bell will saddle you with fewer calories.

5. Uno Chicago Grill Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza
# 2,310 calories
# 162 g fat
# 123 g carbs
# 4,470 mg sodium

Downing this "personal" pizza is equivalent to eating 18 slices of Domino's Crunchy Thin Crust cheese pizza.

4. Macaroni Grill Spaghetti and Meatballs with Meat Sauce
# 2,430 calories
# 128 g fat
# 207 g carbs
# 5,290 mg sodium

This meal satisfies your calorie requirements for an entire day.

3. On the Border Stacked Border Nachos
# 2,740 calories
# 166 g fat
# 191 g carbs
# 5,280 mg sodium

EW.

2. Chili's Awesome Blossom
# 2,710 calories
# 203 g fat
# 194 g carbs
# 6,360 mg sodium

SICK.

1. Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing
# 2,900 calories
# 182 g fat
# 240 g carbs

Even if you split these "starters" with three friends, you'll have downed a dinner's worth of calories before your entrée arrives.

In other words, eat a nice meal at home. It's ok to indulge once in a while, but if you do it too often your body will "soften." ;)

This usually comes from the book "Eat this, not that"...it's scary what we consume when we go out to eat...

Wow, I had no idea spaghetti and meatballs could be so bad! Thanks for educating me

chefsteph07 said:
This usually comes from the book "Eat this, not that"...it's scary what we consume when we go out to eat...

This book is awesome! I am shocked by some of the stuff in there. There's also a kids' version of the book that is great for those of us with children!

Get_Pampered said:
Wow, I had no idea spaghetti and meatballs could be so bad! Thanks for educating me

It's not that Spaghetti and Meatballs are so bad, it's that the portion sizes are so HUGE! The platter of spaghetti you get is enough to feed a family of 4!!!

And - notice another one is for a 20 oz. steak. Yeah, when we have steaks, an 8 ounce is more than enough.
Many of these, if you just ate the correct portion size, instead of the super-duper sizes that are given, would fall under a normal calorie range for a meal!

janezapchef said:
This book is awesome! I am shocked by some of the stuff in there. There's also a kids' version of the book that is great for those of us with children!

This book is in the current ABC distributing catalog for around $6, I am thinking about ordering it, not just to use as a prop at shows, but for my own knowledge!!

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "the20 Worst (Restaurant) Foods in America"?

1. What are the criteria for determining the "worst" foods?- The criteria used to determine the "worst" foods include factors such as high calorie, fat, sodium, and sugar content, as well as the overall nutritional value of the dish.2. Are all of the foods on the list from fast food restaurants?- No, the list also includes items from sit-down restaurants, chain restaurants, and even popular food chains in grocery stores.3. Is this list updated regularly?- Yes, the list is updated annually to reflect any changes in the nutritional content of popular restaurant foods.4. Are there any healthy options on the list?- While the majority of the foods on the list are considered unhealthy, there may be some healthier options listed as well. It is important to read the nutritional information and make informed choices.5. Can I still enjoy these foods in moderation?- It is always recommended to limit your intake of unhealthy foods, but enjoying them in moderation is acceptable. The key is to balance these indulgences with a healthy and balanced diet overall.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefLoriG
  • lockhartkitchen