• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Teach Me How to Use the Grill Pan

whatever you're grilling it with (we used Montreal Steak seasoning). Then put your chicken in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through.I never thought about that! :eek:....But- I would think if you "seared" the first side- w/o the press. Then flip and put the press on while cooking the second side. Then it won't be in contact with RAW. And I can flip it back over to the first side to finish cooking on that side.Yes?No, I don't own the press. I thought about it, but wondered how you use it since it's not hot/isn't supposed to
babywings76
Gold Member
This is so embarrassing. :blushing: :rolleyes:

I just can't seem to cook a slab of meat in the grill pan correctly. Every time I attempt to grill some chicken breasts, they take forever to cook and then they end up dry.

How do you use the grill pan? I'm great at cooking chopped up meat in a skillet and adding it to a recipe, or cooking things in the DCB, but I'm just grill pan challenged. Help me please!!! :cry: :blushing:

I'm with you on this Amanda! I don't like using the grill pan for chicken. I prefer the DCB because it comes out super-moist! So far, I really only use it for sandwiches!!! I'd probably use it for beef, if we bought much (too expensive...ckn is on sale more). Plus...I am spoiled by my G.Foreman grill with heat on BOTH Sides.So I'd be interested in this topic too...and if you have specific recipes, please share!?

do you have the press?

No, I don't own the press. I thought about it, but wondered how you use it since it's not hot/isn't supposed to get heated. Once you touch raw meat on it, then you'd have to go and wash it before touching the cooked side when you flip your meat over. KWIM? It just seems like a hassle. But...if it's just absolutely necessary and will make me love the results, I might be convinced to get it. :D

I use it all the time and chicken comes out great! I don't wash it in between flipping--I have never heard of doing such a thing. It does become warm by virtue of being on the stove.

babywings76 said:
No, I don't own the press. I thought about it, but wondered how you use it since it's not hot/isn't supposed to get heated. Once you touch raw meat on it, then you'd have to go and wash it before touching the cooked side when you flip your meat over. KWIM? It just seems like a hassle. But...if it's just absolutely necessary and will make me love the results, I might be convinced to get it. :D

This sounds like me! LOL!! I've only used the press for paninis. I couldn't get over the raw meat/cooked meat thing either.

Chef Kearns said:
This sounds like me! LOL!! I've only used the press for paninis. I couldn't get over the raw meat/cooked meat thing either.

I never thought about that! :eek:....But- I would think if you "seared" the first side- w/o the press. Then flip and put the press on while cooking the second side. Then it won't be in contact with RAW. And I can flip it back over to the first side to finish cooking on that side.

Yes?

babywings76 said:

Who said the press isn't supposed to get heated? It's cast iron..perfectly okay to do it (at least I think -- that's what I've been doing). I put the press in the pan while it's pre-heating so that it gets hot.

Love the grill pan! I cook chicken breasts, burgers & steaks (most often)! perhaps you are over cooking (dryness) or don't have your heat high enough when it's taking too long. Maybe try pounding out your chicken breasts so they cook more evenly & follow the rule of thumb - if it's firm when you press down, it's done. I love to sear steaks (flank or tenderloin mostly) and then pop the pan in the oven to finish cooking - I like mine cooked through & find you can overdo the outside on top of the stove trying to cook it through the inside. I've only used my press for panini's & the occassional burger but don't recall giving much thought to the raw/cooked contamination - probably did; just don't remember. I would have to say it's my favorite pan!

I used to use the press but then at our last cluster meeting, my hospitality director taught us this method for chicken breasts:

Heat your pan on medium high heat (only for 2-3 minutes or the non-stick coating will start to cook off without anything in it). Brush your meat with oil (we used the PC Garlic Infused), sprinkle it with rub/seasoning of your choice (we used lemon pepper on some and chipotle on some). DO NOT put any oil directly in the pan. Put the meat in the pan on a diagonal to get the pretty marks, set your timer for 5 minutes and DON'T TOUCH the meat. Meanwhile turn your oven on to 350 degrees. When the timer goes off flip the meat to the other side (be sure you've seasoned both sides) and cook for another 5 minutes again DO NOT TOUCH the meat. Your oven should be preheated at that point, put the grill pan in (on 2nd rack from the bottom) for 5-9 minutes until thickest part of breast is 165 degrees (check with meat thermometer).

I have done this twice at home with perfect results - moist, tender, delicious chicken breasts every time!!

leftymac said:
Who said the press isn't supposed to get heated? It's cast iron..perfectly okay to do it (at least I think -- that's what I've been doing). I put the press in the pan while it's pre-heating so that it gets hot.

It's interesting...I thought in previous threads I've read a while ago, people said that you weren't supposed to preheat it. I just looked it up and it says that preheating it is not necessary, but it doesn't say specifically not to do it.

I love the grill pan. I use it alot when I make the Thai Chicken Salad at cooking shows. It always comes out super moist. Guests are always so amazed. I have sold more grill pans that any other piece of executive cookware. Most times I just take the meat tenderizer, flat side down and thin it out a bit so it's more uniform and not to thick on one end. It you are worried about raw chicken, just put it in a plastic bag and do it.
The grill pan gives it beautiful grill marks on the outside and super moist of the inside. Gives it a real "grill flavor" I rarely put any marinade on it. You could also grill chicken, slice it into thin strips and refrigerate it to put on a salad.

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
I used to use the press but then at our last cluster meeting, my hospitality director taught us this method for chicken breasts:

Heat your pan on medium high heat (only for 2-3 minutes or the non-stick coating will start to cook off without anything in it). Brush your meat with oil (we used the PC Garlic Infused), sprinkle it with rub/seasoning of your choice (we used lemon pepper on some and chipotle on some). DO NOT put any oil directly in the pan. Put the meat in the pan on a diagonal to get the pretty marks, set your timer for 5 minutes and DON'T TOUCH the meat. Meanwhile turn your oven on to 350 degrees. When the timer goes off flip the meat to the other side (be sure you've seasoned both sides) and cook for another 5 minutes again DO NOT TOUCH the meat. Your oven should be preheated at that point, put the grill pan in (on 2nd rack from the bottom) for 5-9 minutes until thickest part of breast is 165 degrees (check with meat thermometer).

I have done this twice at home with perfect results - moist, tender, delicious chicken breasts every time!!

Thanks! Those instructions are great! That's something I can follow. Hope I can have success with it as well.

Anyone have instructions like this for not using the oven? Just in case I'm ever in a situation where oven use isn't convenient?

babywings76 said:
Thanks! Those instructions are great! That's something I can follow. Hope I can have success with it as well.

Anyone have instructions like this for not using the oven? Just in case I'm ever in a situation where oven use isn't convenient?

Well, when you grill on a real grill you're supposed to sear it to get the grill marks over direct heat, then move it to the indirect heat to finish cooking so it doesn't dry out. That's basically what you're doing when you put it in the oven.

You could try lowering the heat, i guess. I think the real secret though is pounding the meat thinner if you just want to use the pan.

Okay, thanks! I'll try these tips and see how it goes! :)

esavvymom said:
I never thought about that! :eek:....But- I would think if you "seared" the first side- w/o the press. Then flip and put the press on while cooking the second side. Then it won't be in contact with RAW. And I can flip it back over to the first side to finish cooking on that side.

Yes?

This is what I do...I pound the chicken so it's thin and uniform, sear one side for a couple of minutes, flip it and add the press. The press actually gets fairly hot just by being in the pan. I flip it halfway through cooking and it turns out great with nice grill marks!

leftymac said:

FYI from the PIG (product information guide) online.

• The Grill Press should not be preheated before use. Even though the press has ridges on the surface, the sear marks on grilled food come from the Grill Pan, not the press. Food must be turned once to produce sear marks on each
side.

The Grill Pan is my indoor grill...luv it! I use it in conjunction with the press AND the thermometer. Everything is cooked prefectly when you follow the temp guide on the sleeve.

chefjeanine said:
FYI from the PIG (product information guide) online.

That's interesting that the PIG said not to preheat. Why wasn't it worded that way in the Use and Care instructions? :confused:

pkd09 said:
The Grill Pan is my indoor grill...luv it! I use it in conjunction with the press AND the thermometer. Everything is cooked prefectly when you follow the temp guide on the sleeve.

Just don't over-use the thermometer. Poking holes in the meat will let the moisture escape and dry it out faster. Every time I check a piece, invariably, after I do, then all of a sudden I've got a lot more liquid! (haven't in the grill pan, but when I'm baking/roasting or DCB in Microwave...once I check temp- if I put them back in, then there is a ton of liquid a few minutes later)

1. What is the best way to season the grill pan before use?

To season your grill pan, coat it with a thin layer of vegetable oil and place it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. After, let it cool and wipe off any excess oil. This will create a non-stick surface and prevent food from sticking to the pan.

2. Can I use the grill pan on any type of stovetop?

Yes, the grill pan can be used on gas, electric, and induction stovetops. However, make sure to check the manufacturer's instructions to ensure it is safe for your specific stovetop.

3. How do I clean the grill pan?

The grill pan should be cleaned with warm, soapy water after each use. Use a soft sponge or cloth to avoid scratching the non-stick surface. For tough, stuck-on food, you can soak the pan in warm, soapy water before cleaning.

4. Is it safe to use metal utensils on the grill pan?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on the grill pan as they can scratch the non-stick surface. Instead, use silicone, plastic, or wooden utensils to avoid damaging the pan.

5. Can the grill pan be used in the oven?

Yes, the grill pan is oven-safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. However, make sure to check the manufacturer's instructions before using it in the oven. Also, be cautious when handling the pan as it will be hot.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• meganmcg
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • shelly.nurse
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
deanna_g
Replies