• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where is My Tax Information? Seeking Answers After 8 Years

In summary, the accountant charged $500 to do the taxes and the person called to ask if they were done yet and the phone answerer said they only knew about what came across their desk. The person wants to know if they should call back.
floccies
I prepared my tax information (very organized, all receipts totaled with Excel, placed in sorted folders in a black plastic file box) and took it to my accountant (8th year, same place) one month ago.

I called yesterday and the phone answerer said "I only know about what comes across my desk.".

I want to know if they will be done, if they are filing an extension, if they even know where my paperwork is. Don't I have that right? What do I say when I call back?

Last year they charged almost $500. For that much money I should have some communication. Just because I've been there 8 years doesn't guarantee that I'll be there next year.

You have every right to know... I think I'd be letting your preparer know the rude treatment you got.

I'm mad about taxes, too, but the preparer has nothing to do with it.

Your accountant charges you $500 to do your taxes??? Isn't that high?? Gosh I pay $95 every year at the same place.

chefkugler said:
Your accountant charges you $500 to do your taxes??? Isn't that high?? Gosh I pay $95 every year at the same place.

I just looked up the exact amount from last year -- $475.

Nothing should be that complicated --- basic PC (not a big earner -- show a loss after practice food and mileage . . . ), home owner (nothing bought or sold recently), 3 kids.

Is your $95 with a CPA? How do you give them the PC info? -- Maybe I should "shop around".

btw They called this morning, the taxes are done. I will pick them up this evening when DH gets home from work and mail them first thing tomorrow. -- still think the lady that answers the phone should have a log that she can look that tells her what stage everyones return is at. Still think a month is too long to prepare what I gave them.

floccies said:
I just looked up the exact amount from last year -- $475.

Nothing should be that complicated --- basic PC (not a big earner -- show a loss after practice food and mileage . . . ), home owner (nothing bought or sold recently), 3 kids.

Is your $95 with a CPA? How do you give them the PC info? -- Maybe I should "shop around".

btw They called this morning, the taxes are done. I will pick them up this evening when DH gets home from work and mail them first thing tomorrow. -- still think the lady that answers the phone should have a log that she can look that tells her what stage everyones return is at. Still think a month is too long to prepare what I gave them.

Esp when tomorrow is the deadline..nice last minute, tax guy. I'd look into someone new next year.

Just remember that if you get a new tax guy, you might be at the end of his line and get your taxes back about half past June. ;)

O.k., you pay that much and have to mail them yourself??? I pay $50, have my PC business plus usually at least 2 other W2's, itemize everything and e-file. I really think you should ask around about a more reasonable place.

This is the time of year I'm happy I have a dad who's a CPA (now retired) who does my taxes for me and has them filed by early February (and for free - gotta love that:)) Good luck next year with a new person!

Where in the world do you find accountants so inexpensive?!!? I would love to and would happily pay under $200 for my tax services. Even H&R Block charges over $350 for my taxes!!

AlowayFamily said:
Where in the world do you find accountants so inexpensive?!!? I would love to and would happily pay under $200 for my tax services. Even H&R Block charges over $350 for my taxes!!

Ask around. I pay $150 and that was up because this year I had the forms to report PC.

I do my own on Quick tax!!!!!! Costs us $24.95 done on line. It is very easy and fast.

after several years of us telling H&R Block people how to fill out our taxes and the deductions and then getting the $200+ bills, we decided to use Turbo Tax, and have done it the last 9 yrs or so. They make it very easy- even with a business. We also do company stock transactions almost every year and so far, no problems.

wow, my CPA charges me $695 and just last year started to e-file... so this year my MIL offered to do them for free (also a cpa) and we said yes... as of today 4/14 they have not even been started yet... ugh! :eek:
What were we thinking...:confused:

Us, too, esavvymom. H&R Block kept going up in price and the service we got seemed to get to be less and less. The last 2 years we felt like we were doing the work, and the H&R Block person was just typing in what we told her. This year we did Turbo Tax. It was just as easy, and I type faster than the H&R Block person. We were very pleased.Just for your comparison, I make a bit each year with PC, plus we have 2 W-2s between us. We have a couple of retirement accounts and some savings interest to report. Nothing big.

Ish said:
wow, my CPA charges me $695 and just last year started to e-file... so this year my MIL offered to do them for free (also a cpa) and we said yes... as of today 4/14 they have not even been started yet... ugh! :eek:
What were we thinking...:confused:

Ooh, that puts you in a bit of a bad situation. Have you talked with her about it? There's an old saying that the roofer's house always leaks. Sometimes a professional puts off their own (and family's) stuff until the very last minute so they can take care of paying customers.

We've been doing Turbo Tax ourselves the last few years (since my dad the CPA retired)- however we tend to get a refund every year and I'm always anxious to get my $ and my dad is great at preparing our forms for us. The second we have all the forms, he gets them from us and the return is done pronto.

raebates said:
Ooh, that puts you in a bit of a bad situation. Have you talked with her about it? There's an old saying that the roofer's house always leaks. Sometimes a professional puts off their own (and family's) stuff until the very last minute so they can take care of paying customers.
She is a Semi-retired CPA so she doesn't have paying clients right now... although if she did,I can only imagine what would happen...
I knew it would be frustrating, although she does the taxes for the entire family... oh well... as long as they are completed by tomorrow midnight we should be ok... I will keep my fingers crossed and pray that all goes smoothly! I should get turbo tax... but my DH is freaked out that if we change something is calls for an audit... I keep telling him he is paranoid... LOL

H&R Block is a rip off. We had them do our taxes for the past 3 years and it was $150 until I started my PC biz and then the cost jumped to $350! So my husband started asking around to friends and family and we were able to find a wonderful lady (CPA) and she only charged us $150. We had 4- 1099's, 3 -W2's, and itemized..... Friends of ours have been going there for years and have always gotten great service from her. She was really sweet and I had to take my 3 year old son with me because i coudln't find a sitter, and she was so nice to him too. Last year when we went to H&R the chick doing out taxes was snapping at TJ because he was being too loud. So yeah never going back to H&R again... even with the discount we got through PC this year...it was still not worth it to go to them. IMO

Ish said:
I should get turbo tax... but my DH is freaked out that if we change something is calls for an audit... I keep telling him he is paranoid... LOL

Turbo Tax has a service in case you're audited. If I remember correctly it costs a little more, but not a lot.

We've done ours all on Turbo Tax for the last several years. Our friend buys the program each year and we take him some wine and home made goodies.

My dad has always done taxes for other people for as long as I can remember, as a side business. He rarely charges over $100.

He uses Turbo Tax.

I still can't believe people pay him to do it, but I think they pay for the security of having someone else do it for them. But programs like Turbo Tax make it almost idiot-proof (I should know...I do mine on it every year :)

Definitely look into it, everyone. Unless you're making like a gajillion dollars, it's really easy. Even with businesses, investments, and the like.

Jean DeVries said:
My dad has always done taxes for other people for as long as I can remember, as a side business. He rarely charges over $100.

He uses Turbo Tax.

I still can't believe people pay him to do it, but I think they pay for the security of having someone else do it for them. But programs like Turbo Tax make it almost idiot-proof (I should know...I do mine on it every year :)

Definitely look into it, everyone. Unless you're making like a gajillion dollars, it's really easy. Even with businesses, investments, and the like.

Agreed.

Turbo Tax makes it so easy - even when I was doing PC, had another job, and DH switched from owning his own business to working for a company in the middle of the year.

And we've always had our tax return approved within 1-2 days, and had our return direct deposited within 2-3 weeks!

Much Much cheaper than the $400 we used to pay - and our return is better!

One of the things I loved about using Turbo Tax was that if I didn't know exactly what they were asking, there was something to click on that explained. It even let you know if this was a common thing that would apply to most people or something rare that most likely didn't apply to me (an if you have to ask it ain't you, buddy, kind of thing). It really was easy.

raebates said:
One of the things I loved about using Turbo Tax was that if I didn't know exactly what they were asking, there was something to click on that explained. It even let you know if this was a common thing that would apply to most people or something rare that most likely didn't apply to me (an if you have to ask it ain't you, buddy, kind of thing).

It really was easy.

I love that too! Also - when you get to the end, and it goes through and flags anything that might be questionable on your return. I had a couple things that I'd just keyed in incorrectly, and it flagged them, and had me look at them again to make sure they were correct. One was that I forgot to fill in DS's SS# completely!

Just FYI, if you are expecting a refund there is no penalty for filing late. The IRS will charge you late fees & penalties if you owe money, :grumpy: but do they pay you interest if they owe you money??? Noooooo! :cry:

But be forewarned that they WILL NOT pay beyond 5 years in back taxes. So you can't procrastinate for forever!

In '04 my Hubby got flagged for defaulting on student loans & our refund went to that loan. We filled out our '05, '06 & '07 taxes but never sent them in since we qualify for a refund. Hubby was told if he could save up the money to pay off the student loans, he could get a deal and get out cheaper. He was hoping to pay it off and then get our full IRS refunds but never really worked on getting that done! :rolleyes: Last week we finally gave up & mailed in '05 & '06. The SS administration claims to have never received the application for my daughter's Social Security card, so we can't file '07 or '08 until we get her SS#. Actually, we haven't even calculated the '08 taxes yet. We have a new baby for the '09 taxes, hopefully we'll have his SS# in plenty of time to get back on track & mail the '09 taxes in the right tax year. :p

floccies - $500 - OMGoodness!!!!!

Our guy had to file a state return in 3 states for us personally, 2 states for my PC business and 1 state for my DH business - plus fed tax return too. He only charged me $210. Find someone new next year - but start looking in October of this year. Then you can do 'interviews' and really build a good relationship ahead of time. (I'm thinkin' cookies at Christmas-tee-hee). Good luck!!

raebates said:
Turbo Tax has a service in case you're audited. If I remember correctly it costs a little more, but not a lot.

H&R Block has this service also. I did everything online and used the discount from PC and only paid about $60. Then after they were submitted someone from H&R block reviewed them for any mistakes and then efiled them. I thought it was worth the money.

That's what kept us with H&R Block for a while. Our last H&R Block bill was $280+. Turbo Tax was about $60. I think the added audit security cost about the same for both. Turbo Tax was a better deal for us. ;) Then again, like I said, we were basically doing our own taxes the last couple of years and paying the H&R Block person to type in the info. If I remember correctly, the last straw was having to remind our tax preparer about vehicle excise tax.

We used to use a $500 CPA as well. TurboTax this year for us!!!

We have a $500 accountant but have VERY complicated business taxes for my husband's business. She does both his business and our personal for that fee, and meets with him and his mom (they do the business together) quite a few times each year to get them done.

Sheila said:
Just FYI, if you are expecting a refund there is no penalty for filing late. The IRS will charge you late fees & penalties if you owe money, :grumpy: but do they pay you interest if they owe you money??? Noooooo! :cry:

But be forewarned that they WILL NOT pay beyond 5 years in back taxes. So you can't procrastinate for forever!

In '04 my Hubby got flagged for defaulting on student loans & our refund went to that loan. We filled out our '05, '06 & '07 taxes but never sent them in since we qualify for a refund. Hubby was told if he could save up the money to pay off the student loans, he could get a deal and get out cheaper. He was hoping to pay it off and then get our full IRS refunds but never really worked on getting that done! :rolleyes: Last week we finally gave up & mailed in '05 & '06. The SS administration claims to have never received the application for my daughter's Social Security card, so we can't file '07 or '08 until we get her SS#. Actually, we haven't even calculated the '08 taxes yet. We have a new baby for the '09 taxes, hopefully we'll have his SS# in plenty of time to get back on track & mail the '09 taxes in the right tax year. :p

I think you get a penalty for not filling even if they owe you. You need to file regardless if you owe money you will be charged interest but not the fee if you at least file. So your refund will be taken to pay your husbands student loans and they will take extra for late filing fees????

floccies said:
I just looked up the exact amount from last year -- $475.Nothing should be that complicated --- basic PC (not a big earner -- show a loss after practice food and mileage . . . ), home owner (nothing bought or sold recently), 3 kids. Is your $95 with a CPA? How do you give them the PC info? -- Maybe I should "shop around".btw They called this morning, the taxes are done. I will pick them up this evening when DH gets home from work and mail them first thing tomorrow. -- still think the lady that answers the phone should have a log that she can look that tells her what stage everyones return is at. Still think a month is too long to prepare what I gave them.
For that much they don't even file them electronically for you? You are being gyped big time. H&R Block online cost me $19.95! Any others will do it for much cheaper as well!

Last edited:
My dad use to do mine on TT but I couldn't ever figure it out. Last year when I had my PC business I went to a CPA who charged $95. This year I changed to my friend's FIL who charged just over $100. I would rather pay to have someone else do it than try to figure it out myself.

I can't believe you are paying over $100 for someone to do your taxes. Our accountant charges us $95 every year accept this year b/c I had to do a different form showing changing from one ds company to another. But even that was only $125 total. It's unreal to think others are paying so much when there are so many of us who get it done for WAY less. Definitely shop around for next year!

One thing to keep in mind is that taxes vary from state to state. Plus, "reasonable charges" vary from region to region, state to state, and even town to town. A difference of $95 to over $100 may not be that unusual. Some of the other amounts mentioned here seem outrageous to me, but that's me.And, wadesgirl, if paying someone to do your taxes saves you a day (or 2 or 73) of worry and stress, it's probably worth it.

I use the Tax Cut program from H&R Block. Easy, inexpensive & they provide free help if audited. E-file is free.

They also have an offer for Free one year Carbonite-PC backup protection. My SIL has it & he highly recommends it, so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Now, back to my tax prep.:rolleyes:

trps said:
I think you get a penalty for not filling even if they owe you. You need to file regardless if you owe money you will be charged interest but not the fee if you at least file. So your refund will be taken to pay your husbands student loans and they will take extra for late filing fees????

Not unless this is a new rule. I called the IRS once, several years ago, to find out the penalty for filing my taxes on which we received a refund, and was told, by the IRS agent "there is no penalty for filing late if you expect a refund."

I used to work for a tax accountant. He wasn't very ethical, but he was all about the logging. All I had to do was turn my chair around (I was the one who answered the phone) to see the status of any return.

I've been using TaxSlayer.com for the last four years or so. We are military and don't itemize because we don't have medical bills or mortgage payments because we rent. But we do have a couple of IRA's, some savings interest, some mutual funds, his W2, my PC (usually just a bit of a profit if not a loss after all the deductions) and I did have tuition credit this year for a college class I took online. Because we are military TaxSlayer lets us e-file for free - usually $19.95 I think - for our Federal taxes. But I do it all myself online and I didn't pay a penny - and my refund has been spent for six weeks or so already! Something you may want to look into if you aren't doing anything to complicated.

Hi Everyone - I'm a newbie Pampered Chef consultant here... But I'm also a CPA (hence my sceen name...) I needed a little left brain to mix with the right brain. ;)

Anyhow, I just finished up my tax season so I'm switching focus onto PC consulting for now but I couldn't help but respond to this thread.

I have SEVERAL clients who are PC consultants and I charge on average between $199 and $250 for their returns, which includes the state and electronic filing.

If you have a basic tax return that includes itemized deductions (mortgage interest, etc) and a Schedule C that reports your PC business....and you are paying over $400 you are likely being overcharged. I come from a top notch accounting background (KPMG) with a specialization in home based business accounting and taxes and while I'm able to keep my rates low, even I think $400 for that is extremely overpriced.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to turn this into a sales pitch - besides, tax season is pretty much over unless you've had your return extended, but if you're one of the people above who's paid a lot for tax prep and is not receiving your returns delivered on a silver platter by a handsome prince on a horse, then you need to shop around! Don't think just because the same guy has done them the last five or ten years you shouldn't switch - sometimes that is the BEST reason to switch.

Anyhow, wish me luck on my new Pampered Chef endeavor until it's time to hit the tax returns again!

If you have any accounting or tax questions regarding your PC business, I'd be happy to help - ask away - either here or if more personal, my email is [email protected]

-Jen
The KitchenCPA ;)

Jen:

Good luck with your new PC business! What a way to get away from the grind and mundane number crunching. Excellent choice. And thanks for the tax info. I wish my returns were delivered by a handsome prince on a horse, but the are delivered by my handsome husband sitting in the barcolounger doing turbo tax!!! LOL

I paid $45...Did it myself with H&R Block online...It is SOOO easy to do, it walks you through every step even with your PC earnings and deductions. I always do it on both H&R and TurboTax to make sure the amounts line up and FILE....My return is in my bank account within 2 weeks!

raebates said:
One thing to keep in mind is that taxes vary from state to state. Plus, "reasonable charges" vary from region to region, state to state, and even town to town. A difference of $95 to over $100 may not be that unusual. Some of the other amounts mentioned here seem outrageous to me, but that's me.

And, wadesgirl, if paying someone to do your taxes saves you a day (or 2 or 73) of worry and stress, it's probably worth it.

I didn't see this thread yesterday because...I was preparing taxes! Rae your post puts it very well. There are HUGE geographical differences in fees and that makes sense because just like with wages, where you live makes a big difference on how much you make and what your cost of living is.

To me, I can't see how I could ever prepare a return for less than $150 for a few reasons:
1. I have an advanced degree and also take annual continuing professional education. In other words, I paid and continue to pay a lot to know as much as I can to address everyone's unique situation to the best of my ability

2. I use professional software which charges me a "license" fee per return I prepare. Just the same way Turbo Tax charges each purchaser of their software, your tax preparer has the same, if not more, costs.

3. As a sole proprietor I'm responsible for both the "company" share of payroll taxes and my own individual contribution. Obviously in order to get a paycheck, I have to make enough to cover this costs as well

4. Please remember that as a consultant you entered a new realm of tax return complexity. You now have a business tax return within a personal return. You also have a payroll tax return in there as well. It is not unusual to see preparation fees jump for a Schedule C and SE inclusion. These are like 3 separate tax returns. Plus I'm assuming you all write off Business Use of Home and track depreciation of your automobiles. Makes someone with just a W-2, some interest, kids and a house look like child's play.

5. Turbo tax is fine for basic use, but no matter how strong they build their database, it can only look at what you give it to ask questions. Nothing beats a live person looking at your tax situation like a great challenge and probing you with questions to find credits and deductions for you that you may not have considered. Not to mention tax planning. Not saying Turbo Tax is bad at all, but it is more limited than what most people get from their tax preparers.

Just something to consider, folks :)

Well said, Michelle. Since I don't write off business use of my home (my "office" is in the family room), that makes it much easier. Our taxes are just about as basic as you can get. I have friends who have much more complicated taxes. For them it just makes sense to have a professional handle things. I also take into consideration that many people are just not number people. Numbers make them crazy. Peace of mind is worth whatever you have to pay for it. I never begrudge a professional their fees. People are definitely entitled to make a living, and a good one, at that.

Just one last thought on the geographical area thing -I am based in Chicago, but have tax clients all over the country - I am well versed in multi-state tax law and am licensed to prepare them for any state. Don't let the fact you live in an area that has a higher billing rate for accountants in the area stop you from giving someone who lives outside of your state a call instead. Unless you have very specific complicated state tax issues, any well trained, qualified tax professional can handle whatever state is thrown at them. ;)Gimme a call next year when tax time rolls around - I'll beat whatever price you paid last year by 25% (my website.... www.waterfordtax.com). Also, I've proven over and over again to my clients 95% of the time I can beat the "refund" amount they've come up with on Turbo Tax even after my fee. Turbo Tax is great for VERY basic returns, but if you've got a home based business - trust me, you're likely cheating yourself out of money. If you don't believe me, I am willing to take a look at your filed return and see if I can find you more hidden refund dollars...So onto much more colorful thoughts - I've booked several more cooking shows in May already and I am very excited! I'm thrilled with all the new summertime products too - This is all much more invigorating than being buried under 1040's!! What a nice break from the IRC code! :)

Yes.. taxes.. I signed up for the "free" turbotax... and it is not free. 99.95 plus tax -not free... I know we should pay for this service... but times have been tough since the hurricane hit....just wanted a break. For that price (plus some more).. I would rather pay some person to do this.. so I am saving your website kitchenCPA for next year... thanks for the info.. good luck with your business..

Wow...500 for taxes sounds extemely overpriced to me. I live in a rural area close to Tulsa. My tax lady does the taxes for people all over the country...she is also who everyone calls if they get audited. She stays on top of tax laws and all the information she can get every year...she is about to retire and I can't stand it. But, we have a farm, a restaurant, a catering business, my PC and another DS business. We also lease our land to the oil field for mineral rights. Our tax papers are extremely thick...tons of pages...and we never pay over 350.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm mad about taxes, too, but the preparer has nothing to do with it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

trps said:

No, the IRS does not penalize you for filing late IF you are due a refund. But as I said, they will not pay if it's been more than 5 years. The only time that you have to pay them extra for filing late is if you owe them money, then they will charge you the late fee AND interest.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NewtoMom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • dannyzmom