• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tax Tips for New Pampered Chef Consultants

I think it's 3 years though.You should check with your accountant. The IRS typically gives you a period of time to make a profit and then reviews your records to make sure you are in compliance.
pampered in cincinnati
Hello, I am new to the Pampered chef world (in my first month) and I was wondering how I would find out information about what is tax deductible in this business and how I need to organize that information to make the tax season easier to deal with. I would like to start off my business on the right foot in regards to taxes!

Thank you very much.

I don't know of any books out there that guide you on tracking tax write offs for your own business, but I'm sure there are some. I just know that I keep receipts for EVERYTHING business related. I keep track of every mile I travel (although sometimes I'm not as good about this!). Everything I buy for my office and I use for PC is a tax write off. Obviously all copies I make. Postage. Those are biggies. I bought one of those little expandable files that I put all my receipts in. Through Pampered Partner, there is a section where you can enter all of your expenses. I'm not as good about entering them every month, but I know they're all there in my little file. Even if you purchase a host incentive gift on someone's show, there is a way to enter it as "Consultant Gift" and then it asks if you want to add it as an expense. Matter of fact, ANYTHING you purchase on a show or a personal order can be listed as a business expense.

It does get easier to know what's a tax write off and to get into the practice of keeping track of it! If there's some book out there, hopefully someone will post the information since I'd love to know too! Thanks!

You can even practice preparing recipes before a show which is very helpful and the food you use is written off as well.

ThanksThank you both so much! I am very excited to use your tips and I hope to enjoy a successful run as a consultant!

Do you file taxes quarterly or yearly?? and
Does PC send you any earnings reports or
send anything into the state/federal tax people??

over $600
proudmama02 said:
Do you file taxes quarterly or yearly?? and
Does PC send you any earnings reports or
send anything into the state/federal tax people??

PC sends an earnings report for consultants who make over $600 per calander year. That information is also reported to the IRS. There's no taxes paid on this earnings prior you doing your taxes, so if you're very successful expect to pay to Uncle Sam for federal taxes, medicare, and social security.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I broke down into categories where I keep track of my spending by type (postage, office supplies, PC products, meals when attending training events, etc). This is my first year, so I'm not sure what all the IRS is going to ask for, but I figure that it's better to have all the information together. I also have a separate log for mileage that I keep with me so that I can update it when I'm in the car and not required to remember to do it later.

Does anyone know how long the IRS gives you to make a profit? I know we can't operate at a loss forever and that most of the time the first year is negative due to the initial expenditures. Thanks.

There are a lot of things that are tax deductible. You can deduct groceries you use to practice recipes; mileage to shows, stores, etc.; gas; stamps; etc.

I use Pampered Partner to track my expenses for taxes. I enter the info and save my receipts. At the end of the year I print off the report of expenses to use for taxes.

wouldn't it be easier to file quarterly?
I think you can also save your clothes that you buy to wear to your shows

You might already know this but you can deduct for your phone, internet, computer purchase (bought a new one this year), my office space ( there is a guideline of course for this, I think it is if you use it a certain percent for your business). Anyways, there are alot of things that you can deduct at tax time. Just keep your receipts.

The office part is tricky. Check with an accountant. I think it has to be 100% of the stuff in it has to be PC. I heard that somehad a freezer in the office, no other place to put it and the IRS came and stated no duction and they had to adjust there back taxes.

I do go to an accountant for this and not sure the length of time for a neg. , but I do write off everything I can from new phone system at home to a new PDA cell phone, office furniture, computer, etc. ;) Diners out discussions of PC business. Cleaning service when you use them for an open house that is PC related.

1. What are the tax implications of becoming a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you are considered a self-employed business owner. This means you will be responsible for paying self-employment taxes, including Social Security and Medicare taxes, as well as income taxes on your earnings. It is important to keep track of your business expenses and consult with a tax professional to ensure you are properly reporting and deducting your income and expenses.

2. Do I need to collect and remit sales tax on my Pampered Chef sales?

If you live in a state that requires sales tax on retail sales, then you will also need to collect and remit sales tax on your Pampered Chef sales. However, if you live in a state that does not have a sales tax, then you do not need to collect sales tax on your sales. It is important to check with your state's tax authority for specific requirements.

3. Can I deduct expenses for my home office?

If you have a designated area in your home that is used exclusively for your Pampered Chef business, you may be able to deduct a portion of your home expenses, such as rent, mortgage interest, utilities, and insurance. However, the space must be used regularly and exclusively for your business in order to qualify for the deduction. It is recommended to consult with a tax professional to determine the specific requirements and limitations for this deduction.

4. What records do I need to keep for tax purposes?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, it is important to keep detailed records of your business expenses, including receipts, bank statements, and mileage logs. These records will be necessary for accurately reporting your income and expenses on your tax return. It is also recommended to keep a separate bank account and credit card for your business transactions to make record-keeping easier.

5. Are there any tax benefits to being a Pampered Chef consultant?

Yes, there are several tax benefits to being a Pampered Chef consultant. You may be able to deduct business expenses such as supplies, training courses, and travel expenses. You may also be eligible for the home office deduction and the ability to contribute to a retirement plan for self-employed individuals. It is important to consult with a tax professional to ensure you are taking advantage of all available tax benefits for your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• WestCoastPC
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefMoore
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
PamperedTammy
  • Sheila