• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Tax Rate Discrepancies on Online Orders

I'm not sure if you have to change it manually or if it updates automatically. If it's an individual order, you would have to call customer service to inquire about the tax rate.
Tracy99
Gold Member
So someone just ordered on my website for a show. I am in NY state and this person ordered in North Carolina. It is saying the tax rate is 8.25%. I think that ridiculous. I mean it is only 8% where I am in NY (and NY is one of the highest sales taxes). Google is saying the rate in NC is 5.75%. So what do you do? Do you leave it as the website figured it out to be? Or do you adjust it in PP3? It is also says that food would be a 2% tax but I don't know if that is right or not. The person didn't order any pantry items so I don't think it matters. Ideas? Do you just assume the website knows what it is doing and leave it be? Thanks.

You can look it up on CC by the zip code (it goes by zip code not state). It will tell you the exact tax rate and if something's wrong then I would call HO. But it should be correct, it may seem high but even 8% that you mentioned is high compared to here.

You can look up the tax rate on consultant's corner. I think food may be taxable in NC, but the tax rate on CC would give you that info also. Then you can put the correct rate in P3.

Tracy99 said:
So someone just ordered on my website for a show. I am in NY state and this person ordered in North Carolina. It is saying the tax rate is 8.25%. I think that ridiculous. I mean it is only 8% where I am in NY (and NY is one of the highest sales taxes). Google is saying the rate in NC is 5.75%. So what do you do? Do you leave it as the website figured it out to be? Or do you adjust it in PP3? It is also says that food would be a 2% tax but I don't know if that is right or not. The person didn't order any pantry items so I don't think it matters. Ideas? Do you just assume the website knows what it is doing and leave it be? Thanks.

Most of NC's tax rate is 7.75% but there are some counties that are higher - Charlotte area for example. I would bet that 8.25% is correct. Most counties tack on their own tax.

Yes, I agree it's too high but our real estate tax is much lower than some states. We paid more than double in real estate tax in WI than we do here. It all evens out though. Our cost of living is just slightly lower than when we lived in WI.

If I remember correctly, in Chicago the tax rate is 10%.

My area is also 7.75%, so I would be it is correct.
Consultant's Corners allow you to look up the correct tax based on zip code.

Ok thanks everyone. I am going to assume it is correct then because it is it is Charlotte. I just thought that NY's was high. Didn't realize it was that high other places too.

Tracy99 said:
Ok thanks everyone. I am going to assume it is correct then because it is it is Charlotte. I just thought that NY's was high. Didn't realize it was that high other places too.

It is 9.5% where I used to live in Seattle, WA!

Depending on where you live in NYS the tax rates vary per county....here in Allegany county, it is 8.5%, Erie County is 8.75%, where Cattaraugus, Wyoming, Livingston and several others are at 8% !

I just had someone from CO order from me and it showed 0% tax rate! What? She's a great friend and ordered for my HWC fundraiser and is even thinking of becoming a consultant. I hope she does so we will be able to chit-chat more often that we have the last 7 years!

In my city it's 10.3%!!! It's 9% or more in most of my county. I'm in AZ

Teresa LM said:
I just had someone from CO order from me and it showed 0% tax rate! What? She's a great friend and ordered for my HWC fundraiser and is even thinking of becoming a consultant. I hope she does so we will be able to chit-chat more often that we have the last 7 years!

You have to manually set the tax rate (assuming you put the order in P3, or was it an individual order online?). If it's in P3, you have to set the tax rate. I think there is something about if it's a certain distance from your home base, it won't automatically calculate it. You go to CC to look them up.
I have to look it up when my SIL orders from Wisconsin, and I'm in NC.

If it was through your website/individual, well, then that's PC's problem for not fixing it.

Thank you for that information, esavvymom! There is tax and I have corrected the order and learned something new already today. WooHoo! I haven't even finished my first cup of tea yet and I am already smarter, thanks to you! ;)

Teresa LM said:
Thank you for that information, esavvymom! There is tax and I have corrected the order and learned something new already today. WooHoo! I haven't even finished my first cup of tea yet and I am already smarter, thanks to you! ;)

LOL
Glad I could help! Now can you help me organize my office?! ;)

Ha! No way! Organization is definately NOT my strong point. If you only knew! LOL!

1. What are tax rate discrepancies on online orders?

Tax rate discrepancies on online orders refer to situations where the tax rate charged by an online retailer does not match the tax rate of the customer's shipping address. This can result in either overcharging or undercharging of taxes on the order.

2. Why do tax rate discrepancies occur on online orders?

Tax rate discrepancies can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as changes in tax laws, incorrect tax settings on the retailer's website, or errors in the customer's shipping address. They can also occur when the retailer does not have a physical presence in the customer's state or country, leading to confusion over which tax rate should be applied.

3. How can I resolve tax rate discrepancies on my online orders?

If you notice a tax rate discrepancy on your online order, the first step is to contact the retailer and inform them of the issue. They may be able to correct the tax rate or provide a refund for any overcharged taxes. If the retailer is unable to resolve the discrepancy, you may need to contact your state or country's tax agency for further assistance.

4. Can tax rate discrepancies on online orders be avoided?

While it is not always possible to avoid tax rate discrepancies, there are a few steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering them. These include ensuring your shipping address is accurate, checking the retailer's tax policies and settings before making a purchase, and keeping track of any changes in tax laws that may affect your orders.

5. Are there any consequences for not paying the correct tax rate on online orders?

Yes, there can be consequences for not paying the correct tax rate on online orders. If you are undercharged for taxes, you may be responsible for paying the difference to your state or country's tax agency. If you are overcharged for taxes, you may be entitled to a refund from the retailer. Not paying the correct tax rate can also result in penalties or fines from tax authorities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• newtopamperedchef
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • beepampered